Am I "That guy?"

So, I want to know if I'm that guy. I murdered an ally two hours into my first campaign.

I was playing a knucklehead half-orc fighter, with a good amount of strength and aligned as chaotic neutral.

Problem starts two minutes into the game. Some wizard or whatever, hooded with spikes poking through said hood, and a furry tail starts throwing rocks at me. (We're in a dungeon, btw.)

Just met the guy, too. So naturally, I charge and punch him. Not too much damage, but he backs off.

Then, one of our clerics call for help. Skeletons in the next room. We both charge in, and I get to melee combat.

Wizard drops some bullshit rune stone that explodes and kills the skeletons, and instantly drops me below zero hp.

Being a half orc, I recover back to 1hp. (Racial ability.)

At this point, the dude's mocking me irl, telling me I'm an idiot and such. I'm -assuming- he's talking about my character, so I jot that down.

Later, we're in a narrow passage, he's in the very back and I'm just in front of him.

Skeletons descend on the group from behind, so the wizard turns to throw runestones at the skeles.

At which point I plant my sword in his back, force him down, and yank it out.

He starts whining about how he doesn't want his character to die, spent a lot of time making him, yadda yadda yadda.

I procede to eat him. Am I "That guy?"

Veeky Forums will get triggered at:
>teamkilling
>chaotic neutral

Backstabbing him looks uncalled for in that moment, you should've saved ripping him in half for later

>Chaotic Neutral

>>I procede to eat him.
what a barbarian

Lel

I wanted my character to be selfish and sometimes even cowardly. Eh, it's the first game.

What, am I supposed to eat the skeletons?

No, skeletons are made into fetishes (amulets, I mean) and badass skull piles.

Let's gather the evidence:
You killed a teammate.
But you were provoked.

Him dropping you below 0 but not proceeding to kill you is attempted murder. But you killing him when he's fighting skeletons is actual murder.

If the retaliation is justified, i.e. if your orc is fiery tempered and driven to a frenzy by the psychopathic wizard's murderous attempt and insult, AND if it was role played sufficiently, then no, I wouldn't call you a that guy. You did what your character would do as a sane individual.

The fact that you're aware and came to ask us is pretty far off that guy territory

you're probably not that guy but the DM should have found a way to resolve the issue earlier since it seems like you are playing 3.5 and they are pretty explicit about trying to avoid actual lethal infighting and whatnot.

The half-orc racial ability he mentioned points more to 5e than 3.5

You're not That Guy unless you began session by holding your sword to someone's throat because they insulted your honor, and proceed to give them a tiny nick with the blade before finally pulling away.

Also you do this with a greatsword.

It's funny, I was visualizing a greatsword before you even said it.

y'all both them guys.

Sorry I forgot the important followup.

You need later kill him because of the insult alone, because it's What Your Character Would Do. Not because of the explosion, though.

You waited for the worst moment to do it, and in a way that could get your grroup in danger. I wouldn't want you in my party.

>driven by frenzy
>contain self and wait for the opportune moment to backstab him

Yeah, nope.

Okay maybe not frenzy
Maybe he's just pissed off and waited for the right moment.

It was more the attempted murder and total disregard for my character that made me stop and think:

This guy's going to sacrifice me first chance he gets to put himself even the tiniest bit ahead. Why not just slot 'im, and be done with it?

I mean, I'm chaotic neutral. Why would I not take the coward's way out?

That's not enough for a solid "That Guy" stamp for either of you, but you were both definitely playing under That DM.

These games are team-based, and while the occasional in-fights are expected (for good RP), a DM doesn't let it get to that point.

He was too hurt to do it earlier.
Frenzy evolved into deep hate.

DM didn't mention anything about that.

Nope and I want you in my group. Meet the Loyal Cleaving Dwarf Paladin, the Chaotic Pirate Half-Orc and the Neutral Scheming Drow

>skeletons are made into fetishes

>Chaotic Pirate Half-Orc
OP and him will not get along

Kind of. But at least you're self aware so you're not entirely that guy.
Would have gone for more, bludgeoning the wizard down to 1HP while keeping any spellcasting implements away from him myself, before reminding the wizard that he did the exact thing to you, so if he doesn't like it he should never pull that shit again. Then if he pulls that shit again, kill and eat him, make his bones into amulets of "fuck wizards" and generally kill him until he dies.

Make sure there's a clear line of "this is when my character's going to start team killing" for them to cross. Otherwise it feels sudden and unexpected.

Good, good. My greatest fear would be if they got along too much.

Spooped yet boner

>If the retaliation is justified, i.e. if your orc is fiery tempered and driven to a frenzy by the psychopathic wizard's murderous attempt and insult

This is picture-perfect My Guy syndrome.

That's... actually a great idea. Thanks, I'll try that.

>team killing
>eating ally corpse
>chaotic neutral
you were abit of that guy

chaotic neutral doesn't necessarily allow you within alignment restrictions to kill your team mate because he was "mocking me"

and you didnt have to eat his corpse in particular, you couldve passed on it and from what i read, unless there are details missing, you pretty much ate his character as a last "fuck you" to his character, cause theres no reason for certain actions unless you have something against the player. and from my personal experience whether that be
>calling rape
>ripping up the corpse of a recently deceased animal companion
>stealing from the party
whatever your actions may be, just ask if this is something Veeky Forums would like, or if it would make a "good storytiem" for Veeky Forums

if your in the clear, your good

>Problem starts two minutes into the game. Some wizard or whatever, hooded with spikes poking through said hood, and a furry tail starts throwing rocks at me. (We're in a dungeon, btw.)

>Just met the guy, too.

... why was the spellcaster throwing rocks at you ... ?

"that guy" is the guy who plays the game in a way which nobody else at the table wants and ruins their fun. if everyone else at the table is playing a chaotic random dipshit who attacks party members for no particular reason then you murdering the spelly fits right in.

Guessing the party was already in a dungeon and OP joined them late.
Though I'd get weary of an orcish-looking fellow appearing out of nowhere, there's no way I'd think him a dungeon dweller if so far all I saw was skeletons.

He's an asshole. That's it. There was no motivation beyond that.

>hooded with spikes poking through said hood

This part killed me for some reason.

You and the wizard are both "that guy" as far as I can tell.Probably your GM as well for just letting it happen.

Your group deserves eachother.

>My Guy syndrome

The worst idea to ever come out of tabletop roleplaying. That you're wrong to play your character in any way that everyone doesn't approve of.