/5eg/ DnD 5e General

Dungeons and Dragons 5e General
Kobold Wizard Edition

Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old Thread
Have you ever tried giving enemies class levels to spice up encounters? How has it worked out for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkaciQ1L
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJtVb9Uw
mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ
cheezedoodle96.deviantart.com/art/MLP45E-Dungeons-and-Dragons-With-Ponies-490872927
dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dungeons-dragons-teams-my-little-pony
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sure thing. I had a BBEG that was basically a high level Monk/Warlock of Kelemvor, but was being tricked by Cyric into turning away from his faith in exchange for power.

Anyways, the party barbarian definitely didn't shrug off Hex +Flurry of Blow shenanigans.

It was also a multi-tiered, "not-even-my-final-form" type fight that involved summoning shades that would grapple everyone but only had like 1 HP each that he could summon back to heal himself. Fun times.

yep. did it with an adventuring party of orcs that trapped themselves in a dungeon after they realized that the ogres they came to parley with had been turned into zombies.

PCs found the orcs camped in a locked and trapped room, there was a mexican standoff and the PCs made the first attack. They were UNBELIEVABLY surprised when the rogue orc sneak attacked them and were terrified of an orc ranger. orc cleric of gruumesh was pretty meh same stats as the eye of grummesh (spelling?). they wound up killing half of the orcs, leaving the cowardly rogue orc and the cleric to live to tell the tale.

In 5e? Not really. I've given them class features like spellcasting or divine smite, but this was done willy-nilly, not by actually giving them class levels.

I just ran a low-level one-shot this weekend that involved a House Hunter (scaled down for a party of 1st and 2nd levels). It's main attacks were to use the patio and awning as a mouth to Bite, rip it's own smokestack off and use it as a weapon, or an Cone of Rapidly Fired Shingles AOE attack.

quick update. simplified the point costs on abilities like user suggested. lowered total points as well to keep things in line. Thoughts, feedback?

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkaciQ1L

I have tried, but they are usually too cruel to sic on the players. My favorite was a Marilith Oathbreaker 14/Assassin 3/Champion 3. A champion to her soldiers, she would utterly change the face of the battle whenever she 'ported in. 14 attacks rocking auto-crits and Smites will do that. More of a boss to fight after she has already wreaked havoc to ensure she doesn't strike again.

The only one I actually ended up using was a Glabrezu Tempest Cleric of Talos/Storm Sorcerer. 2X attacks with auto-grapples to trap the squishies, then Destructive Wave. Made the party actually use grapples to get the squishies to safety. They never ended up beating him, just caused him to flee after he ran low on spells...

Nah. If I wanted to do that I'd just grab the most fitting features and throw them on instead of going through the whole character-building process.

Pretty much. If I see an ability I like, I'll just add that in to whatever random NPC / monster if it makes sense.

Anyone who would like to help fix the wording of the last sentence of Mind's Eye so that it meets the criteria outlined here would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking a verbal-wizard may be needed at this point, given I'm not a shabby writer and it's been absolutely confounding thus far. If you can figure it out I'd think you were quite the genius at this point.

Yeah - I'm having *terrible* trouble with it. It doesn't even prima facie seem like it would be that bad. What it's supposed to do is fairly simple - disadvantage on all mental saving throws against the next spell the warlock casts that forces mental saving throws from the creature. But using 5e's language to say that isn't working *at all*.

Virtually everything every warlock archetype does is mechanically unique you silly nerd.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJtVb9Uw

Posting my fire themed Bard and Warlock class options.

College of the Phoenix
> Martial focused, battlefield buff / support.
> "Get in there and hit the damn thing."

Patron: Living Flame
> Fire / blaster based casting.
> wants to watch the world burn.

Do you play with anyone who is a regular DM? And if so, do they ever give you that look that means "I see what you've done, here"?
We were in an encounter a few weeks back, and I noticed some goblins suddenly gained the ability to bonus-action disengage. I wanted to ask the DM if this is what he did, but I didn't know how to ask in a way that wouldn't sound smarmy.

Goblins have a racial ability to disengage or hide as a bonus action already.

I've buffed bandit captain's and cultist leaders but not by giving them class levels. It's something that could work depending on the situation though.

Monsters and PCs are designed differently for a reason. Using classes for npcs is just a horrible idea. Totally inefficient, totally unnecessary.

Oh. I stand corrected. Probably could've just looked that up and saved myself the thought. Oh well.

So what new races have been confirmed so far for the new monster manual this November? The only ones I have heard thus far are aasimar, goblin, and some kind of cat folk. has Anything else been leaked or confirmed yet?

From the official summary on WoTC's page, we know that Goblins, Orcs and Firbolgs (giant-kin from AD&D) will be in it.

A Podcast on Storm King's Thunder confirms Tritons (like merfolk, but with legs instead of a tail).

Twitter/Reddit have confirmed Catfolk and Aasimar.

That's it so far, as much as I know.

Give me Kenku or give me death!

In the 5th ed time line is the dragon god Io dead? I have found about 4-5story lines ans some say yes, some no...

Pretty good. Honestly it makes my players shit themselves, which is nice because they have become pretty experienced over the last couple years.

A a troll levels in wizard swapped his strength and intelligence scored. They decided not to fuck with him. Good thing too, I didn't even calculate his CR.

Anyone got any 5e third party pdf links I could have?

this sounds awesome
I'm gonna steal it

>Patron: Living Flame
>Not Calling it Secret Fire

I like these, but how do i save from this site?

M8, there's a whole mega for that

thank you very much. I'm interested in playing as a firbolg or aasimar.

Anyone manage to snag the Tome of Beasts and willing to share a link?

>Tome of Beasts by Kobold Press
mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ

here fampai

Thanks dudes, appreciate it

>you'll never again be able to play as a feral gargun

Any fluff wizard?

Has anyone tried playing in Innistrad yet? I'm curious to give it a go. I dig gothic horror

> Flame of Arnoth?

I would copy/paste or print to PDF if you can. Don't bookmark because these change regularly.

>print to PDF
enlighten me, how do I do this? I tried "send to foxit reader" but it has blank pages and it cuts out after breath of flame

What damage type would a Deviljho's breath weapon be?

Necrotic

Cheers mate

I don't know, Necrotic doesn't feel right for dragon damage.

A dragon whose damage eats away at your very lifeforce, effectively turning you into a lifeless corpse without even scarring you. You just dry up into a husk and are later resurrected as a skeleton.

How many classes can you put on a character build and still be viable?
Out of curiosity, I don't really plan on being a fighter/druid/ranger/bard, I'm just curious.

Why would you want to multiclass so much? It almost all cases you'll just make yourself strictly worse off than if you'd not done so.

>I don't really plan on being a fighter/druid/ranger/bard, I'm just curious
How can you type if you can't read?

>fighter/druid/ranger/bard

So a regular valor bard that multiclassed into circle of the land druid?

Why would I read your shit? Multiclassing sucks dick don't do it ooga booga.

There is some fun in theorycrafting with the DM to create a fun build from multiclassing. But, without proper communication and planning the general rule of thumb is that multi-classing will get you all of the drawbacks with none of the benefits.

That doesn't sound like Deviljho at all. Why would it turn you into a skeleton when it'd much rather eat you.

It depends on how you want to play. For example I never take more than 2 levels in another class if I am playing a caster because I like keeping my spells known at least within 1 level of where they should be.

currently in a game and building thief rogue 17, fighter 1, diviner wizard 2, assuming we get to 20 anyway. I'll be taking th luck feat, and essentially the point is to have 5 dice a day that are a guaranteed success, or to throw at a bad guy to save my or my friend's skins. It also gives me a handful of cantrips which can't be bad. I'll still get my 2 turns at max level, and while stroke of luck is decent, elusive seems meh so I don't feel like I'll be losing much.

Oh holy shit, that totally reminded me of what's going on in my campaign. I've been playing a dragonborn sorcerer whose only flavor has been that he's a sailor with natural draconic power that joins up with the party out of admiration of the paladin. The paladin is dead now, and the party has been planeswalking to all the realms without oceans so my character is absolute suffering and boredom.

So, I'm considering taking my level 8 sorcerer and multi-classing into paladin of devotion for level 9. I talked to the DM about it and we're still debating whether we will allow sorcerer slots or spell points into smite damage, and there will be some spell re-arranging to remove any necrotic damage.

My reasoning is that we're getting close to a very archetypal party structure with a fighter, rogue, bard and warlock and I feel like the warlock is better suited as the caster and I'd like to go literal tank with full plate, maybe a shield and additional magic buffs to make my AC ridiculous and then find some sort of taunt-y spells. And then smite.

Maybe Paladin/Fighter/Rogue would work well for smite cheese.

>All these hoops for a few paladin levels

What the absolute fuck? Is this why people don't like multiclassing, because there's too many fuckwit DMs who impose utter stupid shit upon a simple mechanic? No necrotic damage? What the fuck?

>I talked to the DM about it and we're still debating whether we will allow sorcerer slots or spell points into smite damage
RAW once you multiclass you only have multiclass slots, so you should be able to smite with them, as you wouldn't have specific paladin or sorcerer spell slots.
If you guys care about that kind of thing...
Sorc is a better caster than a warlock, also.

That is a cool image and I am saving it.

Setting up that stupid shit takes ages. And even then it's not that great.

RAW you don't have to worry about any of that shit, spell slots are agnostic. Read chapter six of the PHB, then make your DM read chapter six.

what if you want to be a paladin of Tiamat

You know, you can be righteous AND evil....

For the record, that is already what Shadow Dragons deal for damage. So necrotic can be a very dragon-y thing to use!

In 5E, major multiclassing hurts, not helps. 2-4 levels total is the max you'd want from any classes besides your main.

The devs did a good job in eliminating that min/max 7 different classes bullshit of 3.5.

How do I do political intrigue without it being shit?

>Be good at political stuff
>Accept it will be shit no matter what you do
>Have fun regardless

So /5eg/, my next session is going to see the forces of Thay invade Mulptan through the Underdark, leading with a force of Duergar and Goblins, backed up by a Red Wizard who magically blackens the skies so that the Duergar can fight above ground. The plan is to have the entire session be the PCs plowing their way through the town square, aided by allies, in an effort to kill the wizard and weaken the duergar, giving the city a fighting chance. Any suggestions on how I run/balance this? My PCs have beaten every challenge put forth thus far, and I want to push them to their limits.

Is there some generally accepted way to do hp gain on level up? As someone who grew up on Baldur's Gate and other d&d-ish video games, the suggested average seems real slim, especially with low con.

First three levels max hp, roll for the rest? What do you folks do?

>Is there some generally accepted way to do hp gain on level up? As someone who grew up on Baldur's Gate and other d&d-ish video games, the suggested average seems real slim, especially with low con.
> First three levels max hp, roll for the rest? What do you folks do?
whats wrong with taking the average? i don't think anyone even likes hp bloat right?
also invest in con, kid, its good for you.

It's probably the highest burst damage in the game, especially with Action Surge you can dish out a large number of attacks that all critical.

I could see it for like Gore Magala but I think this particular "dragon" wouldn't be Necrotic damage. I'm not sure what it would be, maybe Force or Radiant damage. Dragon Element in MH isn't really analogous to a damage type in DND though.

Sorry, just a noob I guess. I've more experience with combat-heavy video games so 7+con per level for a barbarian feels squishy as fuck to me.

thanks for the second opinion.

we do average or roll, player choice, max at first level.

When I DM I always offer the players max HP every level, but the enemies get the same treatment.

ah, well, don't forget you basically have double your hp while raging, so you'll be plenty tough.

So, what characters are you all playing right now? Feel free to get into as much detail as you want. That can be backstory, things your character has done so far in the game, stats and such, or any combination thereof.

Burst damage is highly irrelevant in a game built around attrition and huge swarms of enemies both per encounter and over the course of an adventuring day.
+ the actual setup of entering a melee combat and having a surprise round is itself circumstantial in the first place.

WHAT KINDS OF PUZZLES HAVE YOU USED ON YOUR PLAYERS/HAVE YOUR DM'S USED ON YOU

>play in 5e game
>mostly having a good time
>every time there are enemies, even stupid ones, they have escape plans
>never really win a fight

I don't need every single fight to be to the death, but once in awhile please? Give me some reassurance that my character is actually capable.

My current character is Klang, a "half half bugbear" (mechanically he's a half-orc) barbarian heavily inspired by pic related. I wouldn't say he's a comedy character in that he's purely a joke, but a lot of what he does is silly/amusing to the players (don't worry, confirmed by the players and DM that they actually enjoy it) and annoying to the characters, who primarily keep him around because he's good in a fight.

Examples of the kind of shit he does:

>when the party met him, he was sitting alone in a tavern, but in a subversion of the usual "brooding loner" trope, all the other patrons were ignoring him because nobody wants to be associated with him

>he was using bits of bread and toothpicks to act out little mock battles and loudly making sound effects with his mouth

>introduces himself as "Klang, a half half bugbear warrior from the far north"

>someone asked him, "doesn't that just mean you're one fourth bugbear?" and he yelled, "What, are you saying I'm bad at math?!"

>they asked him what he thought of Pelor and he gave the thumbs up, then loudly whispered to someone, "is Pelor one of your friends?"

>later on, he fed someone "dwarf-hair pasta and meat sauce" that was literally hair from a two-week-dead dwarf they'd come across earlier that day, with meat sauce sprinkled on top

>makes terrible puns on his name all the time

>the one time he's used his ability to ritual-cast speak with animals so far, he almost started a fight with some dude's giant lizard mount

Oops. Forgot my picture.

Half-elven bard with a homebrew feat for a bleed DoT on crits.

We're going to fight some bandits at their base in the middle of the forest and I'm already out of half my resources.

Level 5 can't come fast enough.

I think if you're running around trying to assassinate people, Pala/Rogue/Fighter is probably your best bet. Even if your effectiveness falls off after that first round, knocking off a good chunk of your enemies HP is still good.

A Griffon archer rogue. He shoots things good, wants to do good things for people, and is very confused about his lot in life. He dives headlong into danger, trusting in his skills to keep him alive so he can make the path safer for his allies. He makes friends easily, and is currently trapped in a love triangle that he has no idea how to handle.

I mean there are certainly worse multiclass options, but straight fighter/straight paladin/straight rogue are all going to end up doing considerably more damage over the course of a generic adventuring day.

...I sense that the love triangle contains colorful equines of the small variety, doesn't it?

I don't want any trouble, I'm just posting my character

yes, one of them is

Ban yourself

Dude I am the founder of the largest collaborative universe on FiMFiction and have 24 stories under my belt, most of them complete. You've got nothing to prove to me.

Though if there's 5E stats for pony and other races hanging around anywhere, a link would be appreciated.

Yeah stop spreading cancer in spoilers. At least use a name to announce your bullshit/

Oh, grow up.

>grow up by letting me insert my toddler cartoon fetish shit everywhere

Thread is ruined anyway now, enjoy.

cheezedoodle96.deviantart.com/art/MLP45E-Dungeons-and-Dragons-With-Ponies-490872927

I don't know how they are since I have no interest in those kinds of games, but there's stats for those on the 5e SRD under 3rd party publisher races.

Point of order;

1) MLP is and always has been primarily targeted at 8-12-year-olds, not toddlers; and
2) Every since Season 2, the show has also intentionally targeted the adult fans as well.

...wait, why am I making a logical argument? That won't work...

>DND with ponies

I can't imagine something that could ruin my interest in a game faster than that.

Christ, your interest was delicate if that's the case.

This is a game where one of the earliest modules involved flying saucers and aliens. It should not and has never been supposed to be taken seriously.

Grow some thicker skin, dude.

I have some bad news for you, user...

dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dungeons-dragons-teams-my-little-pony

And yet Shadow Dragons do that very type or damage with their breath weapon.

I'm thinking about making a fantasy version of Kerr Avon from Blake's 7. What class and alignment would he be?

Hmm...not the class choices I would have gone with for some of them.

>posting on Veeky Forums

Politics is easy.
>Step A: Assume that even if certain groups are evil, they want rational things such as land or money or influence. Irrational things are not useful for politics.
>Step B: Assume that in said society or situation brute force, physical or otherwise, is not allowed without incurring reprisal that makes the intrigue pointless. Instead subtle force must be used. Assassins are an example of extremely on the edge of brute force; use too much and then you're basically saying that an equal amount of violence right back is okay, and most folks will just muster an army.
>Step C: Now that people want rational things but cannot just try and take them, have them find ways of taking them anyway without violence.

That's it. That's all intrigue really is.

Aj - Fighter
RD - Monk
PP - Bard
TS - Wiz
R - Rogue
FS - Druid

Would be my choices

Not too bright are you ponyfag.

I was talking about a specific game, not DND as a whole.