Net Neutrality

With news of the reversal of net neutrality on the horizon, what are some projects working on decentralized web / browsers?

Other urls found in this thread:

blockstream.com/satellite/menu/
cnet.com/news/telco-agrees-to-stop-blocking-voip-calls/
fortune.com/2009/04/03/group-asks-fcc-to-probe-iphone-skype-restrictions/
wired.com/2011/01/metropcs-net-neutrality-challenge/
businessinsider.com/verizon-blocking-google-wallet-2011-12
washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/fcc-fines-verizon-125m-for-blocking-tethering-apps/2012/07/31/gJQAXjRLNX_blog.html
freepress.net/press-release/99480/att-blocking-iphones-facetime-app-would-harm-consumers-and-break-net-neutrality
savetheinternet.com/blog/2013/09/18/verizons-plan-break-internet
rt.com/usa/397163-verizon-admits-throttle-netflix/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Substratum Network. not a browser, but you don't even need one with this.

Skycoin/Skywire (retardedly undervalued. 2018 will be big for this coin)
Nexus
Substratum (still not sure if this is a vaporware scam or not)

Was listening to a podcast today about how radio content creators switched to web after the 1996 telecommunications act deregulated media ownership, allowing large companies to buy up multiple radio stations in the same cities. I'm seeing clear parallels with what's happening with net neutrality today. Decentralized web seems poised to become a popular, and necessary, next step. (For reference, podcast was Abe Lincoln's Tophat.)

FUCKING BLOCKSTREAM IS!

blockstream.com/satellite/menu/

niggerfaggot

So you think if radio wasn't deregulated people wouldn't be making podcasts today?

sorry to bother you with actual discussion.

Interesting question, I think it's possible that some smaller radio productions (which are now called podcasts, since they are streamed) could still be on the radio. The problem with net neutrality is that as consumers, our ISPs will charge more to stream 'indie'/small-time production content and for producers/creators, it will be more expensive to put content out there. I think we will see a move by the minority over to a decentralized web as a result.

It's gonna be great!

>muh www is better than yours
>I just took the best invention ever and monetized everything it
>I turned into my dictator father without even knowing it

Will they?

They weren't 3 fucking years ago, when none of this standing policy existed.

>big government shills showed me a picture with a rolling price scale according to websites, it must be reality!

Funny how all these news networks are against Trump and net neutrality.

*for net neutrality
*except Fox

do we need decentralized web or decentralized wifi / ISPs? As a customer, I love netflix, amazon, and a lot of other big name platforms, but hate the idea of them monopolizing by paying for a faster connection. If a trusted decentralized ISP were developed, I would likely opt into their service.

>but hate the idea of them monopolizing by paying for a faster connection.
No user, just because we're removing the regulation preventing them from doing that, doesn't mean they will do that.

>
All it takes is one to start doing it for the rest to follow

Why WOULDN'T they do that? This is America, land of the $. You better believe ISPs are going to use this choke out any sort of competition. Just look at Google gutting YouTube from Amazon Fire.

We need to break down most of the regs. Then we can have municipal ISPs to provide a baseline as well as a wealth of other options. That would completely solve the potential problem of data capping as well as help development and prices.

keep in mind net neutrality only exists because comcast LITERALLY tried to do this (paid fast lanes)

Yeah, I'm sure it was a big problem and not some isolated event that went to court and triggered Obama to capitalize on an easy opportunity to consolidate more power over the internet within the government

Shift
Filecoin (see: ipfs)
Substratum
Maidsafe

Substratum makes people into full webhosts, filexoin is storage only(?) so would use client-side processing, shift is distributed computation as I recall.

Incorrect, Fox told me nothing bad happened to the internet before 2015, Obama just wanted more control.
Also this isn't SOPA/PIPA pushed with a right vs left lens, so people can stop posting that.

>as well as a wealth of other options.
Exactly, see

Yeah I also think that's how it hap-

>2005 - Madison River Communications was blocking VOIP services. The FCC put a stop to it. cnet.com/news/telco-agrees-to-stop-blocking-voip-calls/

>2005 - Comcast was denying access to p2p services without notifying customers.

>2007-2009 - AT&T was having Skype and other VOIPs blocked because they didn't like there was competition for their cellphones. fortune.com/2009/04/03/group-asks-fcc-to-probe-iphone-skype-restrictions/

>2011 - MetroPCS tried to block all streaming except youtube. wired.com/2011/01/metropcs-net-neutrality-challenge/

>2011-2013, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon were blocking access to Google Wallet because it competed with their bullshit. businessinsider.com/verizon-blocking-google-wallet-2011-12

>2012, Verizon was demanding google block tethering apps on android because it let owners avoid their $20 tethering fee. This was despite guaranteeing they wouldn't do that as part of a winning bid on an airwaves auction. washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/fcc-fines-verizon-125m-for-blocking-tethering-apps/2012/07/31/gJQAXjRLNX_blog.html

>2012, AT&T - tried to block access to FaceTime unless customers paid more money. freepress.net/press-release/99480/att-blocking-iphones-facetime-app-would-harm-consumers-and-break-net-neutrality

>2013, Verizon literally stated that the only thing stopping them from favoring some content providers over other providers were the net neutrality rules in place. savetheinternet.com/blog/2013/09/18/verizons-plan-break-internet

>2017, Verizon caught throttling customer data in direct violation of FCC Net Neutrality rules - rt.com/usa/397163-verizon-admits-throttle-netflix/

Why has no one said storj, they actually have working product and are accepting money. The have decentralized cloud storage available now and it’s protocol is built in to the new version of FileZilla, the most prolific ftp client in the world - used to upload files to the web.

One of the only alts standing up to btc.

this

axing net neutrality lets big companies turn us into identical consumption drones, all sucking up the same products, media, ads....

>isolated events

Filezilla is not used by anyone with half a brain since it's a buggy and slow piece of garbage and the devs are clinically retarded. Moreover, storj is purely about filestorage which is not useful for a full web.
There's also sia which hasn't yet been mentioned itt.

Ya, I remember way back in 2015 we were on the verge of doom. And then based black liberal man saved the day.

Skycoin is the only crypto project that will be implemented and usable in the near future with their global meshnet coming online in early 2018. It'll be like tor but faster and you'll make money running nodes. It's going to be the most disruptive cryptocoin since ethereum.

>buggy, slow
The hell are you on about; it’s just as fast wget from the command line. Also you can point dns to storj, you don’t wtf you are talking about.

It’s built right in, you can choose ftp, sftp,or storj.

Name something else with that big if proliferation in a working product that is in use.

No, I was wrong about dns. Glad I reread it, I was getting ready to buy.

>not using lftp

t. literal paid shill