Crusader Quest: Deus Vult

previous threads: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=crusader quest
Thread 5 didn't archive fully: archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/34542810/#q34542810
Twitter: twitter.com/KoblOf
pastebins: pastebin.com/u/Joggibear
army sheet: pastebin.com/VzbLdkUr
holdings: pastebin.com/m33m5nZ5

Politics have played out in the camp as news reaches the Queen of an attack on Edessa by the infamous Turk, Zengi. Worse, an Egyptian relief forces marches east, pounding on the walls of Gaza, the fearsome Nubian Guard. The Queen's men occupying that fortress, a mixed force of Templars and secular knights, lead in joint command by Sir Blaise and Sir Barisan, are under siege but holding out. William Bures, constable of Jerusalem and Prince of Galilee, has organized a relief force, sapping the besiegers of Ascalon of much needed warriors but needed to prevent the Nubian Guard breaking through the Gaza defenses.

Fortune enters the fray with the arrival of Prince Manuel and his force, the Roman prince at the head of a thousand man bodyguard. Scion of the Emperor, his arrival brings hope to the forces of Latin Christendom and fresh troops to add to the press of combat.

You are Wilhelm of Ramla. If all goes to plan, you will become Wilhelm of Ascalon.

With sunrise, and with clean clothes on your back, your attention is required all over the camp. Everyone knows you to be the chief architect of this war, and everyone wants your ear. Achilles has sent an assistant, he wishes to speak with you about bringing down the walls. William Bures demands to know if Solomon will command the Gaza relief force. Hugo wishes to speak with you on a private matter. Even Raymond of Tripoli wishes to call on you, though he has stated no purpose for his visit.

And last but first in prestige, Prince Manuel wishes to meet with you as his men encamp.

> deal with Achilles
> deal with Bures and Solomon
> meet with Hugo
> meet with Raymond
> meet with Manuel

> deal with Achilles

First then talk with Manuel.

>deal with Bures and Solomon
Them first.

Glad to see you run HF.

Let solomon deal with his fellow Nubians, after we can talk to the engineer and roman.

>> meet with Manuel
See the overarching strategy. If his forces can cement our assault, then everything else can fall into place.

You dress as if for court more so than a war camp, your finest tabard over a well stitched doublet, silken hose, leather boots. Over that you wore your Damascus sword, perhaps your most valuable possession, sheathed in a fine scabbard of wood overlain with black leather. An ivory comb ran through your hair, through your beard. The hairs around your fresh cheek scar were split in a messy fashion, leaving a streak of puckered blue skin that ran from near the underlid of your eye down to the corner of your jaw.

Some say it made you look dashing, you'd heard a whisper that it also gave you a villainous cast. Let others draw their own judgement, for you it was a badge of honour, taken in defense of the queen.

Outside you found Solomon seated, shotel across his lap, whetstone running along its edge. His hair has been braided back in strange tight knots, giving it the look of cord. It made it more comfortable under his padded cap and helm, or so he explained. The puff and frizz of his hair left unattended made his helm uncomfortable, and this style was common among the highland wrestlers of his home.

When he saw you his camp grown beard split to show teeth. "Brother," he said, setting aside the whetstone, "You want something from me?"

You took a seat across from him, warming your hand in the fire. It was growing colder by the day, the sun was doing less and less to kill the chill. "Bures is putting together a force marching west, he wants you to lead it," you said.

"An honour," but his tone didn't sound honoured.

"You've a problem with it?" you said.

He looked uncomfortable. "Not directly, more I'm worried about you," he tapped his shotel on your shoulder, "What will happen to you if I'm not here to guard your back."

"So you won't go?"

He shook his head. "I'm not saying that. The Caliph has sent his Nubians, right?" You nodded. "I'd like to kill some of those dogs, but the word is yours."

> go
> stay

> go

> go

We cant have the elite nubian guard at our back when we are infront of the walls of Ascalon.

But do tell him to use generic jerusalem banners and the like. If the leaders in Gaza see Ramlan colours they may take their time to help.

> stay
I can't help but feel like theirs going to be people very happy Soloman is separated from us.

> go

Shake your head. Let him make the decision.

"It's your decision, brother. If you wish to go, then go. If you wish to stay, then stay."

>> stay
He'll clash with Blaise the Butcher in the field over old grudges.

We need Hugo to stick with us if Solomon is going to be somewhere else.

He is the best equipped knowledge wise to defeat the Nubian Guard out of everyone else in the army. We should send him and make sure to keep our closest companions closer for personal protection.

The choice is between making the siege slightly harder for us or risk losing the whole siege. Go should be the natural choice.

> go

> Go

"I'm touched by your concern, but I'm a grown man, I can take care of myself," you said. Then you nodded to the men around you, the knights and mercenaries under your command. A Syrian lancer showed his blade to Ludegard of the Hellions, Ludegard marveling at its edge. Etienne ate porridge with his squire Jacques, while Sabeen overlooked them with arms crossed. "Besides, I have all of them. If a bodyguard like that cannot keep me safe, no power on earth can."

"Point," Solomon sheathed his sword, "I'll lead this army to Gaza."

You gave him your hand, and he took it by the wrist, a tight grip. "God be with you, brother," you said.

"And with you," he said, squeezing your wrist. And with that he was released to head south, and bring ruin to Egypt.

You stood. Other business required your attention. Your squires waited, Alexius and Hugo.

>meet with Achilles
>meet with Hugo
>meet with Raymond
>meet with Manuel

Cant choose between Manuel and Achilles.

>meet with Manuel

>>meet with Manuel

>meet with Achilles
then
>meet with Manuel

I'd like to know what our engineer has planned before it gets to late in the day.

>meet with Manuel

>meet with Achilles

>meet with Manuel

>>meet with Manuel

>>meet with Manuel

Anyone else considering that Gerard and Hugh may be conspiring to kill Will?

For what purpose ? It would only hurt their own faction.

"We have an Imperial Prince waiting for us," you told your squires, fussing with your collar. Your meeting with Greeks, or as they preferred, Romans, rarely went well. This proposed alliance between yourself and young Manuel was still tenuous, held together by nothing but promises until now, with his arrival, and with his troops.

You went through the camp. The arrival of the Roman prince had caused a stir, locals grumbled about arrogant Greeks, foreigners marveled at the living legacy of the Caesars. You were caught somewhere between, not quite local, no longer altogether foreign. This man could be your salvation, delivering you Ascalon, or your slaver, binding you in chains of debt.

Hugo grew tenser the closer you camp to the Roman camp, his grip tightening on his long axe. Purple banners fluttered in the wind. Lamellar like lizard scales coated hard faced brown men with neatly trimmed, slightly curled dark beards. Almond eyes considered you as you passed, hawkish from under iron shod brows.

There was a tent, large, voluminous, in purple and gold. Before it was set a table, and men around the table. Three men, all young, as young as you, though the prince was youngest himself. He had a cast like Alexander, his black hair coifed, beard lightly pointed, his harness compact on a wiry frame, eyes alive with intelligence as you talked casually with his men, hands sliding across the map as he chartered movements.

The man on his right shoulder looked a Turk by cast, a little older than Manuel but not by much. His hard face had a scar, a diagonal cut that crossed his whole face. His helm had a bite in it from where that near fatal scar had first bit, as well as a gouge across the nasal bar. A tough man, a natural soldier, his sword sheathed in a white scabbard.

The other was a chunkier figure, red bearded, something of the fairer north in his features yet with the same almond eyes, deep in a cratered face. His fingers drummed a hilt, those fingers ringed in gold and set with stones, his helm was in his other hand. Ginger hair ran in waves down to the back of his neck.

Manuel straightened at the sight of you, his smile growing.

"The man of the hour," he said, gesturing to you for his companions, "Wilhelm of Koblenz, now of Ramla, soon no doubt of Ascalon."

"Your highness," you said.

Manuel gestured to his companions. "Alexius Axouch, he of scarred face, and Basil Vatatzes, of slow bulging belly, my dear friends and capable soldiers."

"Well met," Basil Vatatzes said. Alexius Axouch remained silent.

"You wanted to meet with me?" you asked.

"I did, yes," Manuel leaned back upon the table, legs crossed before him, "I wanted to know your plan, to take the city, and afterwards."

"A bit early for afterwards, isn't it?" you said.

"You think so?" a pretty boy brought Manuel a gold plate laden with dates. He plucked one and nibbled it, his smile had not slipped but his eyes grew a little cold.

> espouse a little on your future plans
> keep your talk to the siege
> it is far too early to speak on anything
> write-in

>> it is far too early to speak on anything
As if we discuss what may be and are distracted in battle we may never live to see it.

Manuel could be a very good ally to have for later. But i rather not talk too loudly about aftward just yet in a camp in which we know no one.

Gold and securing of the Ascalon/Jaffa duchy under Hugh? considering Hugh knows that Barrisan and his sister are up to something it wouldn't take much to false flag an attack on himself to lure us into a trap.

> espouse a little on your future plans
> write-in

keep it to the frivolous details however, our marriage to Iovetta, political consolidation as well as military around Ascalon the possibility of the Jaffa/Ascalon dukedom etc.

Right now our alliance is on based on promises. Maybe offer a marriage between our second sister and Manuel when she comes of age ?

he's not going to wait 7/10 years to marry our youngest sister

I suggest Mathilde

Already promised away and i do not think it wise to break the deal with Bures.

kinda already doing that with the whole Elias thing

I'll just say that it would be far beneath Manuel's station to marry either of your sisters at present.

Let's not.

"I'd rather keep the conversation on the matter at hand," you said, "The future is a foreign country."

"All the more reason to chart it, but I get your point," he replied.

You looked to his companions, still they were quiet, they made no council, at least not in your presence, and you looked back to Manuel and his cool smile.

"We've tried assaulting the walls with some success," you said, "The holy orders had the main attack, and did well. The others not so much."

"You've not made a breach," Manuel said.

"Not yet, but our engineers are working on it," you replied.

"'Our engineers'?" Manuel had a funny smile, he looked to his friends who gave light chuckles, "You mean Achilles Angelus, a little vagabond of my country. Yes, we heard he was helping you."

"Yes, of course," you said, "Achilles has been working the walls, we expect a breach soon."

"Perhaps sappers should be used to hasten it, miners to break the wall's foundation," Manuel suggested it in a friendly manner. You saw a shift in Axouch and think the idea originally came from him. "The commander of this fortress is unlikely to fall for simple tricks, this place will only be taken by brutal action."

"We're agreed on that," you said.

"And is there a plan for prisoners, or will Ascalon reap the fate of Jerusalem?" Manuel conjured the memory of Jerusalem's capture, the bloody river made of its streets, the slaughter of its small folk and citizens that lived on in infamy, a bloody mark on the holy undertaking. You were not sure if there was condemnation in Manuel's phrasing, or simple probing of your character.

> those that resist a siege are offered no quarter
> nobles will be treated with all respect
> write-in

We need prisoners to bargin with,

Also Malik

>> nobles will be treated with all respect
As well as those who surrender before we take over the city.

>I'd rather not kill every man woman and child in the city.

Hasshin excluded of course

"I'll make sure the nobility of the city is protected, held in secure quarters for ransom, and left unmolested," you said, "We cannot resort to barbarism, to fling noble children from the walls as the Greeks did to the Trojans."

"Of course," Manuel replied, "Of course there will always be those early hours of madness however, things may slip beyond your control."

"Mayhap," you said, "But we shall do our best to maintain discipline."

"As good an answer as possible, because it is an honest answer," Manuel said, "Too many think they are the master of all fate. Only God can dictate the future, we can only act within the present with an eye on tomorrow."

He looked to his troops, kept in soldiers tents, armoured, armed, keeping soldier discipline, waiting with patience for the fray.

"And where will my men be in this fight to come?" he asked, and at this the scar faced soldier leaned forward with ears pricked in interest.

> that is the queen's decision
> that is your decision
> on the left
> on the right
> in the centre
> in reserve
> write-in

> on the left

The left is where our european troops are right ?

Which flank are we going on next attack?

Can we get an update on the current lane setup?

Left is the Levantine forces, which you will join.

> on the right

Changing the right.

> on the right

on the right to counter balance our assault?

Set up is as follows:

Left flank: Jaffa, Sidon, Tripoli, Ramla
Right flank: Foix, Maine
Centre: The Holy Orders
Reserve: Jerusalem

> on the right

Was my idea.

Europeans reinforced by the greek on the right.

Locals reinforced by us on the left.

The holy orders should be able to handle themselves.

With us, the local troops AND the greeks the left will get very, very cluttered. You dont want that in a siege.

Right flank for the Greeks.

>> on the right
Sorry misread that as were WE would be.

as a counterpoint if we stack one flank it will allow us to punch through their defenses before they can consolidate in time to respond

Its a siege mate. We will get bottlenecked.

> on the right

"The right flank is undermanned," you said, tapping a spot on his map of Ascalon, "Myself I will be joining my fellow liege-men on the left. If your troops could join with the Counts of Foix and Maine, no doubt that wall would be captured."

"No doubt," Manuel said, eyes flicking to his companions. They seemed to be pleased by the suggestion. "So we will captured the walls, encircling all of Ascalon, and then advance on the citadel?" His finger struck the central castle of the city.

"That's the plan," you replied.

"I like it," Manuel said, "Clear communication will be needed, runners, flag bearers and the like, but it can be done. This is good, let us hope no secrets lurk behind the walls."

"Do you know something?" you said.

Manuel shrugged. "Only that the commander is no fool, he did well in wars against my father, and my father is no fool himself."

Something to think about. With that it was clear Manuel was finished with you, though his dismissal was polite and followed all sense of good manner. None the less as soon as it was done he took his companions, Basil and the Turk Axouch, by the shoulders and talked low to them as they retreated into his tent.

Hugo coughed at your side, looked up at you with a question burning in his eyes. Your brother wanted to talk.

> visit Achilles
> visit Bures
> visir Raymond
> speak with Hugo

> visit Achilles

> visit Achilles
> speak with Hugo

>> visit Achilles

>> visit Achilles

talk with Hugo as we walk

>> visit Achilles
>> speak with Hugo

walk and talk

>visit Achilles
>speak with Hugo

walk and talk

so folks, what we do with Hugo?

Tell him to shut up and marry the cute french girl. He can take Sabeen as his lover.

literally no reason to and he won't be happy with such a decision

why are you such an autist for Elaine user?

Walk to Achilles while talking to Hugo.

We can multitask.

Im not. Hugo will have to do his duty for the betterment of the family.

"Can you talk on the way to the siege engines?" you asked your brother.

The boy clenched his jaw. "I'd rather not do this in public," he replied, but you were already walking to your destination, Alexius at your heel. Hugo ran to keep up. "It's about your plans for me, marriage and the like," he said.

"Oh?" you concerned him with a glimpse from the corner of your eye. The boy was serious. "I've got plans for all of us," you said, "Money, land, prestige. I plan to build something here, grow something out of this hard rock." Your boot stamped the ground in demonstration.

"All well and good for you, brother," Hugo said, "But what about me?"

You laughed. "Don't sound so childish, Hugo, plans are in motion."

"I've got plans of my own," he said. He chased up to walk a step in front of you. "I have a lover."

"Don't we all," you said, well, perhaps not Alexius.

"I will not shame her," he said, "I'll marry her, father children with her. I can do it now, she's Christian, it's legal."

You tried not to scowl. "Put away your romantic daydreams," you were nearing Achilles' quarters. And before you could take another step Hugo's hands came to your chest, and he stopped you with a hard shove. It sent you back a step. Some eyes from the camp turned to watch you and your brother, while Alexius stepped away in shock.

"They are not daydreams," Hugo had a look for you that you had never seen before. Fury. His fingers wrapped your tabard, you thought he might rip it from your shoulders. "You'll listen to me brother, I'm not asking permission. I'm going to claim my knighthood, and from there I will have all the rights of a knight. I will go with you or I will go my own way, but either way my path is joined with hers."

Romantic idiot. "If you've made up your mind, what do you want from me?" you asked.

The fury gave way to a look of exhaustion. "Just your blessing," he said, "So I won't be forced to leave you."

> no
> yes
> write-in

"Do what you will... but note the consequences fall on my head"

> yes

> no

Hugo becomes Jerusalem's red viper when?

I just want Hugo to never marry dammit

You dont see Mathilde complain about her future marriage.

Dude. He is gonna marry Sabeen one way or another.

>Next thing we see is Mathilde sporting a big fuck off bruise

Not with Wil's blessing he won't

> write-in

"Fine. Do as you please you ungrateful child."

He had a chance to rise from his bastard station with a bit of land in France with a pretty wife. All he had to do was marry her and he could still keep Sabeen that fool

And what of calling the betrothal off just so you could follow your heart? What about your duty as a Christian? Whisper You deflowered her and left her behind.

>> write-in

"... You surprise me every day. Then, pray tell, how will you have me dissolve your betrothal to Elaine? Hm? If you have a plan then do tell."

>> yes

>betrothal

He's not betrothed to her, we never agreed to one we said we'd talk terms with her brother and never dude because of the zoe shitstorm

> no

she is a common mercenary not your waifu!

If we say any of these can we pull Hugo aside to make a little less of a scene.

>> write-in
Alright out with it. What is your plan? Do you plan on living and dying by the sword? How are you to sustain yourself and her in old age? Become a farmer of the sands? Or a peddler of water?

God damn let them marry. Jesus take the wheel

> yes
> write-in
But in exchange with not marrying her until after he's knighted. We may be able to try and convince him out of it somehow before it's too late. I like the union... But if we could get him married to the princess.. We should try for it.

>> no

she does not benifit the Habsb- I mean Koblenz dynasty one bit, she's a common mercenary

Think we are going by the name of Ramla now. Even if we get a higher station i think the name is stuck.

We should Probably mention that if hugo does not marry her a certain Knight templar will be Pissed

yeah point being she's below his station

He cold very well die in this siege, bro

Ofcourse.

HF stated he's not out for blood, a slight we can probably both afford

"You ungrateful child," you grab him by the arm and haul him off the main passage. You are a little surprised how hard that is, how thick his arm is in your hand and how heavy his frame has become. It was not the casual way you'd pull him around as you'd done in yeas past. If he had resisted you, you doubt you would have moved him at all, not without it turning into a real fight. But he followed with a face marked by resentment.

"Let us start with what you did," your finger struck his chest, "You deflowered that girl, all that I'm doing is trying to make your mistake right, and get us out ahead in that bargain."

"Because you've never deflowered a girl," Hugo spat back. You resisted the urge to slap him.

A second finger thumped his chest. "Consider this also, this betrothal is made, do you think it can be casually dissolved? I will make enemies, Hugo."

"You never asked me to begin with," Hugo replied, "You made these plans without me."

"Must I consult you on everything? It is my right to marry you off," you tapped his chest again, and this time he shoved you back.

"It's my life," he said. You bounced back.

"Your life isn't your own," you snapped, "Besides which, she's a common mercenary, you'd be a landless knight. What plans do you have for old age, for when your fighting days are over, or when you have children to rear? Have you thought about this beyond the afterglow of a morning fuck?" you grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and he grabbed your wrist. He flashed a snarl and you felt your own teeth grind.

"There's nothing common about her," Hugo said, "Nor me. I have friends as well, brother, who would be happy to have my sword. Our swords, and the swords our children will wear."