MTG LEGACY GENERAL

Old thread: >> No.48684472

OP shamelessly ripped from Modern and EDH Edition

RESOURCES:
>Official Site
magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/legacy
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net
>Most active places to discuss Legacy, go here for primers and matchup advice
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
eternalcentral.com/legacy/
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5
>Decklists and Metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy#online
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE

CARD SEARCHING:
>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-03-16-ddft/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Salvation is shit at legacy.
They're shit at everything but they're particularily shit at legacy, the threads are deader than my sex life and they absolutely refuse to test different builds unless some fag top 8s with the cards you wanna test.

DDFT Guy here. In the past week of playing on MTGO, i'm like 9-2 vs miracles. How does that make you feel?

>Salvation is shit at magic.
ftfy

Well, ok, there is good brewers somewhere among them, but most is horrible.

You almost got the op right. You should post a picture of the ENTIRE legacy relevant card. Text box included. This makes it easier to recognize for people scrolling through the catalog or whatever.

Don't you die on me!

Thread is dead. Start posting cards you wish were legacy playable!

I think Miracles is far from what some people think it is, it's kind of the bogeyman but you just need to learn how to play around it. I've found it's pretty much gg if you can resolve a planeswalker, they usually only have 1 answer maindeck in a Council's Judgement and hopefully you can close out the game before they draw it. I had a game where I pushed through a JTMS on T2 off a Tomb Signet start and just won off +2ing him while protecting him with FoW. I haven't seen your lost but I would assume Therapy Probe decks have a decent time versus a reactive deck like Miracles.

Until we come up with topics of discussion why don't you guys post your 75s? My Belcher's still on its way in mail so can't participate unfortunately.

I really can't see why miracles is considered so op in here. It is really good deck, sure, but so are so many other decks as well which have pretty even match with it. Of course it wins things like maverick, but on the other hand it folds to every single big mana deck. I don't remember losing a single match against it with MUD.

I agree that's it's not so bad (as my results suggest). Here's my list: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-03-16-ddft/

Preboard they really don't have many counterspells, so if they never resolve counterbalance it's super easy to power through. You can even win through CB with maniac piles full of disruption, since they don't often apply much pressure. Postboard you have extra decays, xantid swarm, and shelldock/emmy to make things real easy.

The thing about big mana decks is that they fold to everything that's not Miracles, except Eldrazi which is just absolutely retarded value packed midrange and fast mana prison combined.

I agree that's it's not so bad (as my results suggest). Here's my list: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-03-16-ddft/

Preboard they really don't have many counterspells, so if they never resolve counterbalance it's super easy to power through. You can even win through CB with maniac piles full of disruption, since they don't often apply much pressure. Postboard you have extra decays, xantid swarm, and shelldock/emmy to make things real easy. Miracles is easily my best tier 1 matchup.

Oh I have to disagree. Yes, eldrazi made MUD obsolete and is a deck of choice. But basically MUD was the same trinisphere/chalice build jammed with artifact combo in it. Most of the time it fold onto itself with being one of the worst decks to be on top deck mode. But Things like storm and such were always prey to it, which is the reason why these same stompy decks work in whatever form.

I get it you are excited about your DDFT, but slow down a little.

My bad on the doube post m80

>pay to win general
"let me just stuff my deck with money and win anyone that have less money than me"

More like pay to play. Legacy needs a little bit in depth knowledge about the game for success. But yeah, we are talking about MtG here so what you expect?

>More like pay to play
"pay to play with anyone that payed as much as you", you mean. Anyone that have payed slightly less will be defeated before he can do anything.

maybe you should pay2lernenglish instead

If you don't like it, play a cheaper format.

>lern
>starting without capital letter
>no punctuation

"having an easy and uncontested victory against another person solely because of money is okay"

C'mon, this is the only format where this is so extreme.

THIS IS BAIT PEOPLE PLS STOP

What? Preposterous. are you calling my honest opinion bait? that's why we can't have frank discussions.

Here's my 75, plays pretty well, thinking about going up to 4 Transmute so I can hit my bullets easier and -1 Thirst. I wanna keep it a blue card so I can pitch to force though.

Don't worry m8, me calling your statement bait was just to bait the people into tooling at your bait so they get mad, respond and bump the thread. We're in this together. Keep doing your thing. Godspeed.

oh.. in this case.. i call your attempt at calling me bait baiting

Crap. You saw right through me!

>implying he didn't/doesn't see play in elves sideboards.

Who else here plays Death and Taxes?

I would argue that there is a much greater price/power disparity in modern.
In legacy, even cheap cheese decks still have super powerful options. Belcher, Burn, and Dredge come to mind.

There's a big tourney coming up at my LGS. Question is directed at other DnT players. How draining is the deck to play over 7 rounds? I would think it would get super exhausting, because you don't really get to go on autopilot or get free wins very often.

>I would argue that there is a much greater price/power disparity in modern
I don't know.. never played much modern, but saw plenty of people playing and getting good results regardless of pricing of the cards. Of course the rich guy will always have the upper hand in any format, but you notice how money is not everything in other formats, perhaps because the 'cheap' strategies are more limited.

Since the thread is dying, I think I might write up some match reports from my recent games, is that gonna be a waste or is anyone interested in UB Tezzerator matchups?

I'd be interested. May have to make a new thread by the time you're done though. I'm probably gonna run DDFT through an mtgo league soon so maybe in a few days I can do a writeup of that.

No. I'm considering it though.

Let's see it mane. I'll wait.

Alright, i'll type what I can from memory of my games this morning, I've got a dinner shift then I'll play a few more rounds and post results.

New arrivals. Gotta foil em out to get that price advantage.

G1 vs Esper Deathblade
Kept Underground Darkwater Catacomb Signet Transmute Force Strix Tezz AoB on the draw

Opponent goes T1 Underground Probe DRS.

I run out Darkwater, that way if I get Wasted I have a land that produces mana.

Opponents T2 he Wasted me, then Therapies for Force, taps DRS to exile Darkwater and Flashes back Therapy for Tezz, I'm convinced this was a huge misplay on his part.

I draw into a Delta, fetch for an Island and pass.

Opponent goes land pass

Play Strix, drawing Tezzeret the Seeker

Strix beats for a few turns, opponent delves out a Gurmag.

End up resolving Tezzeret the Seeker, -2 for Thopter Foundry, beat with Strix, 1 mana up.

Opponent goes in with Angler, sac a Signet for Thopter and chump

-2 for Sword and opponent concedes and leaves room.

G2 vs Miracles

Mulled to 4, ended up with a 1 lander with a Signet and a Chalice, this game is a bit fuzzy as to the details. Scryed a Tezz AoB to the bottom.

Opponent goes T1 Taiga SDT

I cross my fingers and draw, no land, play an Island

Opponent goes T2 Snow Island spin Top

Draw, no lands, concede.

Conceded because Miracles matchup needs to be won early, I botched that but I didn't give away what deck I was on, though I knew what he was so I could sideboard better.

Sideboarding
-2 Ensnaring Bridge
-1 Engineered Explosives
-1 Trinisphere
-1 Thopter Foundry (Terminus hoses)

+1 Pithing Needle (Hits SDT and JTMS)
+1 Notion Thief (Spicy)
+3 Flusterstorm (Hits Daze, FoW, Councils Judgement ect.)

G2

Keep City, Underground, Signet, JTMS, Transmute, FoW, Notion Thief.

T1 City Signet

Opponent goes Island SDT

T2 Underground, slam JTMS, no counter.

Rest of game is Jace +2 while I protect it, only threat I percieved was Councils, ended up not finding one but tried to Venser it back to my hand, had to blow Force.
Cont.

No SB changes

G3

This game is rather fuzzy, got a bunch of Strix beats in early, then opponent flashed in Clique, Cliques me, declares block and Karakas's it back to hand, does this for a while then when I'm sitting on Tomb City Island Underground he decides to play Back to Basics shutting off his combo. Draw into Thopter Foundry and cast, resolves, then eats a Disenchant. Sac it, a Chalice and a tapped Seat of the Synod for 3 tokens. Get him down to 3, swing lethal and he spins top taps top miracling Terminus. Flash in Notion Thief eot and swing lethal (spicy tech ftw)
First time writing up a match report, did I miss anything?

That's a pretty vanilla report, no complaints. Bit disappointed you didn't get the classic 8-for-1 with Thief vs Brainstorm.

>8 for 1 notion thief on brainstorm

Damn I never actually counted exactly how hard you're fucking them in the ass, I just knew it was extreme value

Notion thief on brainstorm is blowout. If it resolves, it's usually game over.

The only reason Jund is not tier 0 is because Tron exists.
If you remove Tron from Modern, the 1st vs 2-8th difference is a whole tier wide and brews literally cannot compete. In Legacy weird shit like PoxRack can not only beat Miracles but actually win a tournament so long as it doesn't see Burn or Omnitell.

And because of burn, scapeshift, living end, affinity.... It's a deck that wins other midrange decks and shits on combo via discard route, but when opponent plays a deck that vomits their entire hand on board or doesn't even mind it's cards being in graveyard/being in top deck mode, you are going to have bad time with jund.

Jund beats Burn without even needing to SB their Finks and Affinity can barely touch them unless they're literally drawing lands three turns in.
Scapeshift and Living End were good against it but don't see any play now.

Remember we are talking about a deck with greedy manabase and 4x dark confidant which even burns itself with thoughtseize. I have seen finks, but Kalitas is way more relevant card in the deck and in this matchup. But we are talking about 4cmc creature (or potentially 3cmc) with a deck that can potentially deal 5 damage to itself on turn 1.

Do you think the tezz vs miracles matchup is good for you?

are you under the impression that miracles runs daze?

Is Vintage a diverse format? Is it better then Legacy? I really want to play it since you can use all the broken cards

It's not more diverse than legacy, it's the least diverse of all formats, but it can definitely be a fun format, when everybody has the same insanely broken cards in their decks, the winner is determined half by whoever had the best timing on when to play what, and the other half is who had the best opener and who was on the play

I can tell you it feels really good to misdirection an ancestral recall

It's... a unique format.
Like, in Vintage there are probably the least viable archetypes total, but the power-level between archetypes and decks seeing play at a high-level is one of the largest.

If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend getting into it.

Yeah i was looking at the meta on mtggoldfish and it seems that theres only 5 real decks
American Mentor
The Perfect Storm
Shops
Dredge
Oath of Druids

Yeah but there's lots of cool cards you can brew with in the flex slots of each deck

The small size of tournaments and inherent inconsistency of the format do make random decks more likely to top 8

There used to be some fun combo-control decks running around, it's what I would be playing if I did vintage. It's an incredibly skill intensive format and you can usually reflect back to turns 1-3 to see why you won/loss. It's true the format isn't insanely diverse but to be honest I think there is a shit ton of decks that have a lot of potential but not enough people play the format to care about brewing something new for it.

I think part of the reason you win against it quite a bit is that the average miracles player has gone down in skill. A surprising amount of people jumped in the "hurr durr tier 0 le auto GP top 8". The deck is something that I strongly believe should be heavily practised first. Legacy is about %40 skill %40 familiarity with your deck and it's Matchups %10 luck and %10 variance

I do, I'm running 8 planeswalkers, 6 of which (4 Tezz AoB and 2 JTMS) can come out on T2 off Sol Land Signet. Either walker resolving makes a loss pretty hard, Tezz can make beatsticks forever and JTMS just ticks up until he wins. Thopter combo is resilient to Terminus, and maindeck Bridges make the Clique beatdown path hard. I have the tools to shut down their lock, Chalice on 1 stops SDT, and stops them from ever drawing a card off one they've cast already, stops Ponder, Brainstorm and Swords and I'm a blue deck so I have Forces to fight theirs.

Storm should be favored against miracles, so indifferent?

Next Legacy event I'll go dressed up as a mad doctor, shouting stuff like this.

That's not what most people think though

Most people don't know how to play anything, so....

Euphoric.

I have been noticing that in many Oath of Druids decks Griselbrand sees play? Why is he a popular card in this format, isn't he a little weak even by reanimator standards?

It looks like a newer card too

Draw

Well yea he lets you draw right away but usually when you cheat something out with Show and Tell or similar you want to WIN that turn, i guess its a bit of a slower approach to this strategy, he's not bad by any means i just wonder why they use him instead of say, Emrakul

Emrakul attacks next turn and doesn't always win if they have enough monk/young pyro tokens, with Griselbrand you can draw up to 14 cards and likely hit the cards needed to combo off

It's the same as in Legacy, everyone expends resources to stop what you're doing. When you succeed, you suddenly get to draw 7-14 cards, which is a huge advantage over your opponent on top of your big 7/7 flying lifelinker.

If you cheat Emrakul, it does nothing the turn it ETB (Sneak Attack notwithstanding).

Also, Burning Oath wins the turn he enters play, by storming out for a Tendrills kill, or Time Vault+Key for the win.

Because his ability wins the game at the spot. If you don't know why or how...... Well there isn't much I can tell you, if you don't see the value in having your hand full of cards.

I think Storm vs Miracles looks bad on paper (oh no countermagic and lockpeices), but is actually 50/50 or better when it comes down to it, and I think play skill and deck familiarity reward the storm player more in the matchup. That is even more true in the case of DDFT. Add in the fact that DDFT has a real haymaker vs miracles in the form of sideboard shelldock isle/Emrakul, and i'd be surprised if you didn't have a good matchup.

Who /wastingmoneyonforeigncards/ here?

hi, Bryant

what is your opinion on counterfeits?

Unless they get better, not really worth it imo. And yes, I've bought fairly recently from Villa Zheng, who's supposedly the best at the moment.

Does he play anything other than Storm though?

More like /savingmoneyonforeigncards/. Half my deck is in Spanish because I got them for like 2/3 the price of English cards.

I have zero issue with them as long as they are obviously counterfeits. If they are too close to the originals you could have issues with people selling them off as real and that is obviously a fucking awful thing to do. For general play though they are fine

The Chinese are saving Legacy after a few more dickwad buyouts and Wizard's incapability to get rid of the RL for the health of the game since their tongue is too deep up the speculators's asses. As long as no one's selling them as the real deal I have no problems.

7th edition has the best flavor text for duress.

They're both good desu

How do you propose I make my counterfeits look used?

Just picked up a set of volcs, trops and forces but they're mint condition. I tried rubbing them on a table but didn't do much

A lot of the anecdotes involve cleaning alcohol on a cloth/paper to get rid of the shine/gloss, riffling to get some wear and leaving them under the sun for a day or two if the colors aren't just right.

Submerge them in jello for 24 hours. Lemon and lime work the best but orange or grape will do in a pinch.

Shuffle them violently and ignore them when you're not playing. You could also use them to buffer hot drinks between games. Just don't let them feel like people.

Somewhat offtopic, but does anybody have a higher resolution/quality image of Baleful Strix?

Plebs.

nice file name

He is a time traveller from 1993.

Cute. That deck would get shit on now.

Any thoughts on the new Bedlam Reveller in UR delver? Draw 3 and a decent body with prowess for RR seems pretty good to me. Haven't seen any lists with it putting up results yet though

The fuck is this guy building?

I love me some 93/94.

(You)s

Me. As t the moment I'm reconstructing my deck. The big decision being whether to keep mangara in my mainboard. Kinda starting to think it's a bit "cute" rather then effective. Also debating whether to keep 2 containment priests in my sideboard.

Thoughts?

I'm building the deck right now, but Mangara has been a slot that I hate on paper but like in practice. I cut him against fast decks like delver and storm, but he tends to be good against miracles/shardless and grindy decks. What would you cut him for? I might cut him for Serra Avenger or Mirran Crusdaer #3

New to Legacy, asking questions on Storm/ANT:

Have you ever seen anyone winning G1 if there is a Thalia in play and storm has no removal maindeck?

When goldfishing looks like in most of the games you must draw an infernal tutor to reliably go off.
Why isn't everyone playing 2 dark petition? I get that ad nauseam becomes worse, but sometimes you just don't see the tutor and have nothing to do.

I have seen TES version winning through thalia simply because it runs burning wish. Otherwise it sounds near impossible, I mean what kind of christmas land you would need?

Imo it's not good enough. Certainly not as 4 of since the cast requirement is pretty harsh and is basically dead in opening hand. Also the "draw 3" is a bit conditional.