/ccg/ - Custom Card General

I don't have any current materials edition

MSE: magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
Mechanics doc: docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE
Read this before you post your Batman: docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

Other urls found in this thread:

magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR
pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i
pastebin.com/yBnGki1C
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/
old.photojoiner.net/
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/tyrants-2016-08-10
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Archives aren't hard edition

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

You know, the whole "lines of text" thing should be revised with the new frames. Wizards has gotten a lot more comfortable with 7 lines of text and even has a few cards in EMN with 9 lines like Crop Sigil, Soul Separator, or Grim Flayer.

Length is probably a little more lax now, but I think we should be aiming to cut text as much as possible regardless. Exceptionally lengthy cards are symptoms of poor design more often than not.

Does this work?

I believe "in addition to its other types." is necessary.

Oops

"When ~ enters the battlefield, you may have it gain all types and abilities that target land you control has."
This should be the simplest way to word it.

"types and abilities" doesn't really cover everything you need it to cover as "abilities" do not cover the entirety of some card texts. Not to mention is unused in any iteration of shapeshifters.

I don't think green should ever get true shapeshifting so I don't see the issue here. This still covers the bases of anything relevant besides some niche things.

In essence, it's just a manland which is quite different in range of ability from normal shapeshifter creatures.

Definitely needs another mana symbol if you're costing it at 3 CMC.

Feel like you should be spending at least a little mana to be both bouncing a creature and denying a draw.

In essence, it's a breaking of the color wheel because clones are a U creature design. Yes I agree under the context of land copying it fits in G but I still stand with that a clone out of U is a bad idea.

Second ability is bonkers even if it is difficult to start using. Should cost mana or something.

The black one feels really weak. The white and blue one are fine. I'd consider changing the blue one's flavortext to, "So many answers, so few questions." This way it's like, "Gosh I got more counter spells lined up on my top deck then he has things to play!" Red seems weak but it's really hard to judge. I guess it cold be a finisher in a burn deck but it feels like any kind of pinger + untap on instat/sorce cast would be as efficient. The Green one seems strong but fair.

Essence of the Wild also exists.
I don't find blue's shapeshifting ability that untouchable as to deny this specific type of effect from the only color that actually cares about lands and animates them regularly.

Black was definitely one of the cards I had trouble with in both finding something that builds onto something that signifies black, but at 1 mana.

If Enivss works with sacrifice (not sure) that could be pretty awesome actually.
Kamigawa Dragons come to mind.
Green and blue are pretty fucking good.

Ahahahaha, fucking goblins. Perfect un-something card, and the flavor text is priceless. Good job.

>In essence, it's a breaking of the color wheel because clones are a U creature design. Yes I agree under the context of land copying it fits in G but I still stand with that a clone out of U is a bad idea.
Not that user, but that just feels incredibly stupid, it's like saying restore is breaking green's color pie because reanimation is black. So far the only cards that can copy lands are other lands anyway (colorless), and 0 blue spells.
The only reason why blue even has clones is because blue (for better or worse) tends (previously even more so) to get effects that scale on your opponent's cards power, it's unlikely for copying an opponent's land to have that effect.

Enviss can return other sacrificers, but it wouldn't be able to return itself if that's what you're asking. It does synergize well with lower cost creatures.

Holy shit, these are terribly designed. First of all, the first one does nothing with the mind counters. Second, having to pay mana to cast this then pay and tap to activate then tap to get the abilities is terrible. I get that you're trying to foster decision making, but this is so terrible and doesn't even foster decision making. I get that the counters from each one stack, but the effects are much too weak. Make it so you don't need to tap to use the abilities and it maybe becomes playable. Also you switched between body having G and R costs, but how are you going to make mind go to another color flavorwise? You should make a separate counter for each color and make these a cycle of 5 enemy colors (adding the 5 allied color combinations in the next block, or just making it a cycle of 10)

This card is so perfect. I'd probably believe someone if they said it was spoiled from the next unset.

"You may have ~ enter the battlefield as a copy of any land on the battlefield, except it's a 4/4 green Elemental creature and is still a land."

"Still a land" seems to be the preferred wording for creature lands and land animation effects, rather than "in addition to its other types".

The "still" part is a little backwards in this case, as it's a creature turning into a land.

I had presumed that those were only worded that way because they were already on the battlefield. I think that the clone wording is still appropriate since this doesn't start as a land, so it can't "still" be a land. If that is right though, "it's still a land" should be a separate sentence.

"You may have ~ enter the battlefield as a copy of any land on the battlefield, except it is a 4/4 green Elemental creature with trample in addition to its other types." Is the correct way to word it. (maybe with some parenthesis around with trample) See copy artifact, any manland, and fellhide spirit binder for reference.

Not parenthesis, I meant commas.

It's fun to imagine what all they could do with Un 3.

Would it be "it is" or "it's"? And why would there be commas around "with trample"?

Wizards is cool with contractions, so "it's" and he meant to say quotation marks instead of parentheses (misspelled), but that's wrong too.

Does red get land tapping?

It does now via Stensia Innkeeper.

Oh yeah.

Thank you for correcting my post. I wrote it while I was in the middle of something.

Weird art, looks like a pineapple or something. Had to squint and get real close to tell what it was.

Seems a bit excessive in cost. Remember that snappy is only 2 mana and also puts a body on the field.

Snappy is legacy playable and a rare and is currently about 60 bucks. I don't think mimicking its power level is a good idea.

Though I get how much better a 2/1 body is than the ability to cycle it.

I keep wondering to myself: How difficult could this possibly be?

Jesus, this is too much. Seriously, a 4/4 that hits like an 8/8 on the first turn and only gets bigger from there for just 2GG?

>first turn
By which I mean on the same turn it's cast, not the actual first turn of the player.

>4 mana 4/4 haste trample
>also generates 4 extra power across two new bodies when it attacks
Tone it down.

That was what I thought, too; but it has 0 protection, and I designed it with commander in mind, which means that attack will likely not go through.

But I did forget to remove haste, fuck.

Yeah, Haste was a leftover from when it was a 2RG, I thought I removed it but I WAS WRONG.

4 toughness is plenty of protection.

>Languish, and any number of destruction spells in commander

did someone say un-cards

Compare Hero of Bladehold and then tone it down because it's too good right now.

If you remove Haste, I think it should be at least 3GG, and even then, I'd prefer 4GG. Though now that I really look at it, I think I'd rather have Kessig Cagebreakers.

epic

Are we doing Un-cards now?

The only thing I can think of is dropping it to 3/3.
Cagebreaker was the card that told me this was possible.

That's incredibly specific.

I find that kind of reasoning bullshit. It's not immune to being removed from the board, but aside from giving everything hexproof, 4 toughness is a bulky creature.

Yes, and?

When would you be eating fried food during a game? Chips count, I guess, but still. Fat Ass just had eating food on it.

This still dies immediate upon entering play.

When would you be wearing clothes made for ladies (assuming you're a dude)?

This card was made especially to level the sexist playin field that women face on a daily basis so you should just shut your mouth....

This card seems more indicative of a very very narrow uncard.

You see user, there are these people called "crossdressers"...

>Power Gap Inversion
>If a source a male player controls would deal damage to a female player, that source deals 78% of that damage to that player instead.

You might want to use the two thens that Living Death has. I like the idea though.

White doesn't get counterspells.

It does, actually. Equinox, dawn charm, and mana tithe at least (the latter two are planar chaos, though).

I'd tone down the body significantly, especially at common. A counterspell on a body that can flash in and kill a bear in combat? Not something I'd want showing up too often across the table from me in draft.
Also Frontline Medic, Lapse of Certainty, and Rebuff the Wicked. White gets limited countering effects for very specific types of spells.

Frontline Medic, Judge's Familiar, Lapse of Certainty.

White does get and can get countermagic. It only shows up so infrequently because players don't like counterspells, and r&d are wary about increasing their prevalence.

Should have either from the battlefield or from anywhere.

And white gets taxing counterspells.

Added "from anywhere." Thanks, user.

Kind of hodge podge.

Looking for ways to represent a creature being an amalgam of multiple other creatures, other than creature types? All I can think of is keyword soup or a bunch of activated abilities, and I'm not much of a fan of either.

I guess it's good? I don't even know how to cost this.

meld

By creature types do you mean like stacking them all into the type bar or are you looking at things like "Incarnation" or "Avatar" or even "Horror"? Otherwise, Changeling is still a thing, but it seems like you might want specific types.

Well, amalgam isn't the right word, I guess hybrid or descendant. OK, lore time: On Earth-48, humans fucked up big time and nuked Earth. The alien races from all the other planets began warring with each other, until the Monitors stepped in, and pointed out they could wind up just like the humans if they're not careful. So, they chose a war of representatives instead of a full-on war. Two parties feuding with each other would each send an army to Earth, where they would fight to the death, the winning side gaining dictating the terms of the dispute. However, it turned out not everyone died during these wars, as the wounded were simply abandoned on Earth. These survivors would band together and eventually mate. After millennia of this process, the Forerunners, a hybrid race of all the others, arose.

Well, I want something that shows that the race of Forerunner itself is composed of multiple creature types through abilities. Though I might just get rid of that idea to focus on, I guess, "arena combat" stuff.

Meld as in the mechanic from Eldritch Moon

Yes, I know. But Meld is not what I'm going for. Using Meld for her would be like using Meld to convey Vorel.

Never realized how much of a parallel Reanimate is to Swords until now. If Swords didn't exile and Reanimate were instant, they'd be perfect mirrors.

>Return target creature card from exile to the battlefield under its owner's control.

Memory issues

I hope that each tapped creature is tapped, otherwise we have a whole can of fuckery going on.

the downside isnt enough for the up, but I love it. Maybe go 3 mana, or 4 mana 3/3

assuming this works its an unkillable 2 power creature, i know its un but 0 is too low

Alright here's version 2. I kept the CMC and flavor intact.

Protection wouldn't do anything there.

I think you could keep him at 4/4 now, or at least 3/3. And the last ability would be a lot better as
>Whenever a Forest enters the battlefield under your control, [...]
Notice how Landfall uses an ETB trigger, not a play trigger.

3/3 and etb, got it.

In honor of today's story article.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/tyrants-2016-08-10