Horus Heresy General /hhg/

Crusaders In An Age of Darkness Edition
Fulgrim's Retro Groove Sub-Edition
In the Milky Way Galaxy the crimes of traitors are dealt with by two important groups: the victims and the loyalists who prosecute them. These are their stories. We heard of one user's idea for loyal WBs and learned of Martian history, another Pert discussion happened, Leman's coming soon, and we answered questions involving banners and heralds plus much more in the last bread Red Books Links:
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2Fs15Jqk1t%2Ffile.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23!Jx1UGCTI!vMJN89z7p8tiEC7YOAj477g6RxDtJ7culVLF3q3godg
HH Book 6 - Retribution PDF:
mediafire.com/download/8aqx9j3a8erqv8d/The_Horus_Heresy_Book_6_-_Retribution.pdf or
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fkat.cr%2Fthe-horus-heresy-book-6-retribution-pdf-t12199249.html
HHG FAQ - pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8
Official HH 7th Edition Errata (Updated January 2016) - forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf
Other official downloads: forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads#horusheresy
HH Rules:
Age of Darkness Army List: mediafire.com/download/f0c2pnieoijyrqk/Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List.pdf
Mechanicum Taghmata Army List: mega.nz/#!LFwTjQ7B!mF0eVOY8P1MPT0a-QSXypXo_ZfskhYynD41PrkaTbD8
30k/40k Rules: mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS
30k/40k Rules and more (torrents): kat.cr/usearch/"Forge World" heresy user:epistolary/
30k Black Library: mega.nz/#F!0RlxDZQC!qAu9BaubWa3KeihJRmOcsg
Strawpoll links: strawpoll.me/10558764
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=I6eTdPG3jo8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Confess your crimes to the Arbites Hound.

second for power shovels

And that makes me happy.

Mate, I've got to say that I absolutely love your DG.

Thanks. So far I have this veteran squad and 5 Grave Wardens coming up. The rest depends on what the new HH box set contains.

I think that if I were to start up a second legion, it'd probably be flamer heavy DG. I love their colors, and I love the Heavy Flamer model. Don't really care for their fluff though. Never really interested me.

As it's that time of the year, which legions do well in what at the Astartes Olympics? Let's assume they don't bother with the fighting/shooting events because everyone takes it too seriously.
>Emperor's Children win gymnastics by default because no other legion entered a team
>White Scars make a clean sweep in the equestrian events
>Night Lords disqualified from the windsurfing due to the construction of their sail
>Night Lords also disqualified from everything Sevetar enters, because he keeps cheating
>Space Wolves refuse to enter the swimming pool
>Pertuarbo arrives at the time and date his brothers told him and starts to wonder why all the signs and banners say "Paralympics"
>Death Guard win the walking marathon. Claim victory in the running marathon as well, having started several days earlier and walked, but told this is not acceptable.
>Ultramarines collect many, many silver medals
>Sanguinius told that he can't enter the pole vault without a pole. Sulks.

next book when?

No bullying the Lord of Iron. It's not nice.

Do you even Siege? The Thunder Warriors took the single most advanced human planet, ha, noobs.

Who else hyped about Russ and best legion?

I am very hyped for Thousand Sons, thank you for asking.

how can Woofs be best when Dangels are best? Wanna cross swords?

Thousand Sons are going to have some cool stuff, I bet. Too bad they're not Sworn Brothers to my legion though, else I might make an allied detachment for fun.

Pls be nice to Pert

>Alpharius takes Gold in boxing with a single punch after Lion knocks out Russ. He was the ref.

I'm thinking of getting into 30k. I really like the idea of flooding the board with spacemarines, what Legion is best for big Tactical squad blobs and general massed infantry?

I'm not really sure. If we're going fluff-wise, I'd definitely say either Iron Warriors, Death Guard, or World Eaters.

Hey, he can duke it out with Dorn there.

basically all. Play some maxed out squads and the board is full

>A number of Emperor's Children who trained under Coach Bile disqualified for taking illegal substances.
>Several of the Death Guard team were also disqualified, despite their claims that the substances they were found to have used were not performance enhancing.
>A surprise win for the Iron Warriors in the Thunder Hammer Thow as the Salamanders, favourites before the event, prove reluctant to let go of their hammers
>Primarch Angron's ban remains in force to prevent any more Rage-PTSD induced massacres at the sight of chanting crowds in a stadium.
>The terminator wrestling final was eventually won by the Sons of Horus after an astonishing three days, beating the Death Guard for the Gold. Again the strongly-rated Salamanders were victims of an upset, losing to the Emperor's Children in a surprising quarter final.

>Imperial Fists lose the fencing after attempting to build a wall before their opponent attacked.
>Dark Angels come last in the marathon by 3 weeks after they took the time to fell every tree in sight from the course with their bare hands
>Iron Warrior's gold medal in the shot put confiscated after it was found they had used an illegal quad mortar

>swagsmund wins gold in fencing against lucius

Iron Hands, Death Guard love having infantry blobs. But any legion really could have it. I'm having Infantry based Emperor's Children if that's a frame of reference.

I prefer infantry armies because I don't like painting big vehicle models

Ok, but the Herald has Support Officer. Why would you have a guy with Rite of Command *and* Support Officer? So you still have to take something else for your compulsory HQ. How can a warlord not be the compulsory HQ? It makes no sense.

>Alpha Legions wins most medals of any legion despite having no entrees.

>Imperial Fists
>Losing the duelling sport
The Fists' team is Sigismund. Just Sigismund.

>Iron Warriors attempt to claim gold for the decathlon after completing 9 of the events; Perturabo declares the sport "Not the best it could be"

I'd have to say Iron Warriors. Their whole thing was throw enough bodies and explosives until it was gone. It being whatever needed to die/be destroyed.

Probably not the Iron Hands then, unless you really like them

To the user yesterday who wanted to see my EC army, here are the highlights. Still got about 30 Kakophoni and 25 regular Marines to paint up.

Sorry for the shite photo, new phone.

If I got the Deathwatch half of Death Masque, how could I make them fit into an EC army?

I'm not that user, it was just a random post.

You show me yours and I'll show you mine, first legion.

Why don't Primarchs have the Legiones Astartes rule? Each legion has special rules based off what they're best at, and they get these specialties from...their Primarchs and their geneseed from said Primarchs. I take similar issue with dreadnoughts not having it, but that would make some dreadnoughts crazy OP (Iron Hands dreads, dear god).

Death Guard are the all infantry all the time legion, you march forward shooting and are capable in melee
Iron Warriors are massed infantry and artillery army, infantry hides in a trench till the artillery has softened up the enemy, then they charge
World Eaters are the massed infantry charge at the enemy as fast as possible army

But all legions can do it, and most are justified in having a shit ton of infantry. You'll probably get funny looks if you play White Scars without bikes and/or transports though.

Infantry are just more fun to have. I appreciate vehicles but I don't really adore them enough to field them.

Never said I liked Heralds having both Rite of Command and Support officer.
In fact I find it funny that Heralds, having that rule, are able to purchase a retinue with yet another banner boy of their own.
Feels like that's what they should have been all along.

I like dreads though. Shame FW no longer sells mortis missile launchers, I was thinking of making some boxnaughts for my DG...

If you're trying to avoid using transports, you might be better off using a legion whose special rules give them infiltrate or outflank. Night Lords and Alpha Legion are popular for that.

Iron Warriors usually want to take artillery vehicles. World Eaters like infantry blobs, but only if they've been modeled with chainaxes. Neither are ideal, imo. Sons of Horus get a short-ranged shooting bonus but they want to have transports. Not great choices, imo.

Death Guard can use their Rite of War to take heavy support squads as (non-compulsory) troops and they all get Move Through Cover. They're popular for infantry blobists.

Ultramarines love infantry blobs. They get bonuses to shooting units that your army has already shot at, or charging into units you're already in combat with. One effect of their RoW benefits running, which may obviate the need for transports.

Imperial Fists are usually the breacher legion, but they get benefits to using bolters so they're also worth looking at. I think I'd rather have the UM's mobility bonus though.

To me, 'Herald' sounds more like a guy with a Trumpet that with a Banner.

I'm pretty sure the primarchs were used as base of the Gene-seeds, but I don't think the primarchs themselves actually have gene-seeds or augmentations similar to the Marines.

are Iron Hands not an infantry army? I feel like their legion rules lend themselves to a boys over toys mentality.

Iron hands are super tough, Death Guard can get melee bonuses/cover saves, Iron Warriors don't afraid of anything and can either charge after rapid firing or guide artillery while being fearless, and both the Sons of Horus and Night Lords get bonuses for outnumbering people in combat, with the sons having a RoW that lets them close faster with fleet/crusader, and Raven guard/Alpha legion are just funny because of the ability to infiltrate 20 man blobs

awesome. that was me. love the gold on those models.

Have you tried, say, eBay or a recaster?

Imperial Fist get +1 BS with bolters. PotL blobs are great

I might do that. I don't know if I'd use the plastic boxnaught or a FW one so it would have been convenient if FW still sold the launchers in case I chose to use FW dreads.

They do get nice infantry bonuses, but they hate to run so they'll struggle offensively if you don't give them transports.

I guess so. It'd be weird to see an Astartes with a trumpet

...never mind.

Walkers are pretty much my answer to vehicles. And they just look so much cooler, infantry supported by mechs are the feel I look for in Sci-fi settings. What legion for boxnaughts?

Death Guard.

They probably lack it due to a rules-wise point of view; their rules are kind of inbuilt already.
Angron would be WS10 in challenges and his weapons would effectively be Shredding, Fulgrim would be I10, Mortarion would be almost immune to poison and fleshbane...even though Alpharius manlet IS immune to those things...and Ferrus DOES have not!Inviolate armour already...

Maybe their rules should be reworked to fit in their Legiones Astartes rule? They do have Space Marine organs in them (except maybe progenoids).

>"Then the angel of death blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in the Warp, saying, “The Imperium of Man has become the real of our Lords and of their Warmaster, and he shall reign forever and ever.” And the twelve high lords who sit on their thrones before The Emperor fell on their faces and worshiped Chaos, saying, “We give thanks to you, Dark Gods, who are and who were, for you have taken your great power and begun to reign. The worlds raged, but your wrath came, and the time for the living to be judged, and for rewarding your servants, the demagogues and heretics, and those who fear your name, both small and great, and for destroying the keepers of Earth.”

Rusty boxes. I like it. Do the naughts get chemical weapons?

They do like infantry, but their tanks are pretty amazing so you can go either way

I think the fluff point of the Legiones Astartes rule is to show how the Marines differ from each other - an Iron Hands marine has more cybernetics and armour in him than any other marine, a Fist will train more with a bolter, as will a DAngel with a sword - in a dreadnought, a marine loses a bit of personality and a lot of uniqueness, especially in ability, given it's not their body any more, it's a mostly-standard dreadnought body - that's why they're almost never captains, despite their experience.

Primarchs are not marines, they're are such unique individuals that there's no baseline to compare them to - the Legions have their earliest forms and several tests to compare against, as well as each other in the state that they are by the Heresy, but Primarchs are above and beyond that, as well as no baseline existing to be compared against

Space Wolves didn't like the Contemptors, so they at least would be perfectly justified in fielding mainly boxnoughts.

Chem-munitions for the flame weapons and toxin missiles with creeping death RoW.

Their heavy flamers and flamestorm cannons can be upgraded with chem ammo, which gives Shred and Gets Hot!

I thought wolves hated Dreadnoughts in general because of their "warriors death" thing.

What instruments would each legion use?
Sallies have vuvuzelas, Space Corgi would use giant horns...

White Scars didn't use dreads because of cultural things (until GW was like "fuck it, we're not selling enough bawxes, WS get dreads now"). Don't remember much about SW hating them. Bjorn dislikes it because it's just not the same, but he's old and cranky.

>Word Bearers
Tainted Trumpets

>Iron Warriors
Bazooka (instrument)

>Emperor's Children
All of them, better than you.

>Iron Hands
Theremin

>Adeptus Mechanicus
This archaeotech thing. Don't touch it, please.
youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q

>Tainted Trumpets

Tainted by rust?

Imperial Fists would just cross their arms and watch in silence.

Make it a badgermin and you've got a deal!

I can hardly believe this is a real thing. And a nice one, at that.

youtube.com/watch?v=I6eTdPG3jo8

"The piano should have been a cow"

Nah wolves ain't too happy about it either - you fight and die and should be allowed to rest

Bjorn hates telling the stories. I thought they were very like minded about it but I don't pay attention to the wolves

Maybe BAs would use Trombones?

>"TWINS THEY WERE!"

That archaeotech is beautiful.
Less angry badger noises than I expected.

At least Wolves use them. They just put all the loonies in the Contemptors because it drives them crazy anyway, so no harm done.

Ya, Wolves like Boxnaughts but Contemptors either get crazies or go crazy so they have a stigma associated with them.

Yeah, it fits two out of their three moods - sad and glorious.
Unless you can have angry trombone music, then you have the full BAngel range of emotions

>Imperial Fists would just cross their arms and watch in silence.

Very nice.

Say, you need psyker genes to wield warp powers...but anyone can use sorcery? Word Bearer Burning Lore, is it like a warp recipe written all over you, or like tatoos that give you powers?

Has anyone ever done one of the historic campaigns from one of the big books? Did you substitute anything, and how did it go?

How do Beam weapons work? Its a special rule for ranged weapons right?

Toying around with a unique right of war for my II Legion Homebrew. Below is what I have drafted.

Unique rights of war

Remnants of the Dark Age :

Effects

Irridium Projectors: Volkite weapons in this army gain the Beam and Gets Hot special rules.

Desolate Warriors: All infantry models with the Legiones Astartes II special rule have the Hatred Special Rule while in the enemy's deployment zone and the Slow and Purposeful special rule while in their own deployment zone. Infantry models with the Legiones Astartes II special rule suffer -1 Leadership.

Mobilize the Armory: Any Infantry Squad of ten models or less may take a Mechanicum Land Raider.

Limitations
This army must take a Forgelord.
This army may only take one Fast Attack Choice.

Check the rulebook, where it is clearly stated right under 'beam'

That probably exists but I don't know where to look.

Thanks! I've been playing EC since 4th Edition and thanks to Horus Heresy they are actually viable.
I'm really glad for the new Kakophoni rite. Bringing the noise has always been one of the most awesome things in Warhammer 30/40k to me. Also purple/pink and gold is stylish as fuck.

Don't close mechanicum ties make them less likely to get wolfed?

Might be more likely, if it was decided that no legion should get too close to the Mechanicum - after all the Legions were the one military force that the Mechanicum couldn't produce - they could make their own supersoldiers, but there was something special about the Marines that made them Big E's trump card that he couldn't afford to lose his monopoly on

They are fluffed as techno zealots seeking to reclaim the technology of
Man from the dark ages. Having succeeded in some way they got wolfed and what survived is where they stand now. Access to some goodies, probably a forge world alongside a few gene wright secrets to help bulk out there numbers. Nothing serious, a fighting strength of six seven thousand marines after rebuilding from the wolfing.

This too. The mechanicum was but fledgling after the unification wars, having only control over Mars, through aggressive investing in the II legion, they hoped to sway them towards the mechanicums own goals.

What was the Legion interaction with Army? Were there every dedicated regiments under Legion control, like from the home planets or something? Or would traitor legions raise regiments as part of their own armies to bolster their ranks?

There was auxiliary yes.

>What was the Legion interaction with Army?
Won't grind themselves / We do what the mortals can't / Our little helpers.

Depends on the legion I guess, UM and 1ksons have pretty much their own mortal armies from their home planets, the rest might have an army that they've built a relationship with and is willing to go along with the legion.

So it would be perfectly fluffy to have, say, a small Militia detachment with your Legion, maybe in Legion colours with Legion iconography? Maybe a Provenance to go with the Legion (like the cyber-enhanced one for Iron Hands aligned detachment, etc.)

Yeah. The IW had the Thorakitai(?), an army that remained loyal to Perturabo when Olympia rebelled against the Emperor.

Maybe to a degree. Chemosian IA couldn't wear the Palatine Aquilla, and some legions wouldn't be fond of you wearing their colors or their signs. Maybe if the IA were heralding the arrival of the marines they could have banners with full legion icons.

What was Pert paying them? Did he pay them?

>Konrad carefully watches every player for even the most minor rule violation
>Those he catches get flayed
>Even the ones from his own legion
>ESPECIALLY the ones from his own legion

He raised them from the ashes of Olympia. Fanatically loyal and highly trained.

I'm not sure he would have paid them...or that they would ask to be paid in the first place.

I don't think he believes in paying people either. On a related note how did his first captain make it to that position?

Probably wouldn't know anything about DG auxiliaries? Idea of some Krieger wannabes with pickelhaubes and pale/green fatigues charging in along with some DG tacticals seems like a fun idea, but I just don't want them to be like when people paint their Knights and Titans in legion/chapter colours and iconography. I want there to be at least some legitimacy regarding the fluff.