/5eg/ D&D 5e General

Dungeons and Dragons 5e General
Knights, Fighters, and armored warriors Edition

Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old Thread
What are some of your favorite classes or archetypes? That one go-to build that you find yourself coming back to?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJtVb9Uw)
docs.google.com/document/d/1IkLfY8tgFIHu1jSdDL13lxHJgUBw635uUQMK5nH4hNI/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not by choice, but I often find myself gravitating towards rogue on the chances that I get to play.

>Tome of Beasts by Kobold Press
mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ
YW

Frenzy Barbarian grandpa. There's nothing I love more than a giant muscle grandpa with a huge beard who doesn't take no back talk from little brats, i.e. everybody.

I also really like Lawful Evil necromancer who takes great cares of his allies "to keep them strong for their inevitable role as his thrall." He keeps this a secret to himself, of course.

I've only been playing for about a year and a half, but have been forever DM through all of that time, except when I briefly got to play a Barbarian in Curse of Strahd. The DM of that campaign had to bail out so I had to abandon my barb to take over DMing...

My favorite builds are sword and board builds. My warlock is a spell and board build.

In general I always find myself drawn to fighters and clerics. This holds true for both 3.5 and 5e

I've always loved the fighter. Magic swords seem cooler than just about any other magic item, armor is cooler than a dress, and being able to play the hero feels good. Paladins are too stuffy, barbarians are too angry, but a fighter can be anything or anyone.

Hoplite or Axeman. Two bladed axes are for faggots. Swords are stupid.

>Swords are stupid.
How dare you

If it has Spears, I automatically like it.

After that, I'm very fond of the Good Necromancer (two stories on Veeky Forums made me fall in love). I also love the Cleric. Sometimes I can combine all three.

whats your opinion on daggers? AKA smallest swords.

Casters FTW. Usually some kind of sneaky caster, like an illusionist or necromancer. Havent tried the arcane trickster because i am forever DM, but eh, what can you do.

Are CN characters the worst to play with?

Players who play CN like we shit on CN here are the worst to play with.

Daggers are pretty sweet because you have to get up in a dude's face.

Yeah that is what I meant, I worded it poorly.

it'a kinda incredible that they want you to pay fucking 40€ for this copypasted shit.
Some ideas a re fine but seriously i could draw better shit

My favorite character I made was this Drow Warlock who, when I first made him, at the request of my fellow players and DM, wasn't going to be evil. Only late Vegeta kind of bad.
Fast forward to him collecting the blood of the innocent and leading a cult.
To be fair, all the other PCs became evil too.

literally me

Oh, man...the second you made angsty house-husband Vegeta, I'd have made a Monk Goku just to play off that.

hello there new dm and i need a clarification.
If my druid character has choosen her 4 1st level spells for her 4 first spell slots and did the same for her 2nd level slot can she still use a spell twice and spend two spell slots of the first level for example?

Like even if she has choosen all her 4 spells can she still just use cure wounds for times?
thx

Yes

thanks that actually helps me so much.

Reading through the Phoenix Bard from last thread (homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJtVb9Uw)
Unarmored requirement is weird, it'll be really nice for Draconic Sorc but otherwise it means -2 AC for +10 speed, even on a Dex Bard it would be of questionable use I think. The martial weapon proficiency doesn't do much except allow heavy crossbows, but fits thematically with the fire warrior type.
Ignite the Soul means twice the rolls or more for the signature ability, which isn't a good thing. I'd just have it be like explosive dice, either they gain it back if they roll max or they roll again and add both together to that same check. In either case, I'd maybe give one more way to use it too to keep it a bit more like the other features, damage is an easy one.
Blaze of Glory feels like it should only be on a hit, so as not to waste it, but otherwise seems fine as well as the capstone.

Living Flame patron is cool too, I quite like the first feature though it might be a bit too strong, not too familiar with how resistance works out. Ember Walker seems like it should be the capstone, and the automatic 1d6+1d6 every turn might be a bit too much. Searing Blessing is a bit lazy because there's a feat for that, but it is understandable, and the last feature is mostly fine except I think it should use your spell save DC.

Would play illusionists and general misdirection tactics, but

>Local DM's a dick
>Wouldn't even care if I threw up the Illusion of a dragon with freshly ground up Goblin giblets in its teeth, to scare off a horde of goblins, complete with the scent of putrid goblin and smoke if I had the means

>"Nope that doesn't work."

So I tend to pick Fighter and just crossclass into things for silly damage. Or pick Warlock and just Magic Stone things.

Thanks very much to a suggestion from an user from two threads ago which after having considered it more is sufficiently descriptive and brief despite still not being terribly pretty (I honestly think 5e's language may make it impossible for that wording to be pretty).

I bequeath to you all what I think may be the final iteration of The Moon Presence warlock patron.

Hey I asked earlier this week about leveling up animals, what about training them in classes? I figure a Warhorse Fighter or an Elephant Barbarian would be pretty hardcore.

And here's a Chain Pact familiar option as well (which is very fun to use).

Does anyone have the most recent version of the 4 elements monk fix?

> a mere 300 XP to level up to level 2

D&D has become incredibly pussified. You literally need 1/3rd the XP you used to to level up. Why is this? It's because the normies that have been invading tabletop gaming demand an easier experience. They do not have the patience for anything but near-instant gratification. Most GMing manuals say the players should level up after session 1. This is the new state of gaming. Most gamers are no longer dedicated to the hobby; instead, they are wrestling with careers, relationships, and having to watch "the little guy" and are too busy to put in the effort anymore. Whereas I know plenty of successful men who had all the time in the world to play AD&D, it seems that nowadays people are fucking idiots, and our gaming experience is dumbed down to compensate.

docs.google.com/document/d/1IkLfY8tgFIHu1jSdDL13lxHJgUBw635uUQMK5nH4hNI/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a 5e campaign I've been working on set in ancient Greece

Level one is stupid and no one in their right mind desires to play at level one for large amounts of time.
"Pussified" my ass. Do you really enjoy ending whole encounters with sleep or else dying to a few lucky goblin hits?
Then fuck off to your own homebrew world and do it yourself.

Well, as long as they don't cave and make it "casualized" or "normalized" (whatever you prefer) to level up after 5..I guess it's as good as it's going to get.

The only time I've seen sessions surpass 5 was when the session -started- post 5, save for my first character who's level 6 from level 1 and in play stasis for who knows how fucking long.

Have you told him about those things called war games and board games?

Yep.

He'll go on and on about how he can't afford to get into that shit. Yet he'll spend countless thousands of dollars on wall portraits, kek

The first 3 levels of 5e are clearly designed to slowly build up the basics of the class at hand and how the funny shaped dice work. After that is where levelling up starts to really matter. It's why most people who know what they're doing start at level 3, which according to your chart there is where things slow down dramatically.

>XP is integral to RPGs

is that way.

I usually switch pretty majorly when I need a new toon, but I love me some 2h weapon action.

Given how much I'm enjoying WM sorcerer I'd happily come back, too.

Able to share the stories, or are they lost to time?

Hey, when do you guys reckon WotC will release the players companion for Storm King's Thunder. Didn't they do it earlier than release for Curse of Strahd?

I start at level 3. Before that, it's training wheels. If you've never played 5e, start at 1. If you have at least five sessions, skip it.

I'd think, if they're going to do it at all, it'd be soon, because it goes on Early Release at the end of August.

They would be hardcore, but I don't think fighters or barbarians would be very impressive as a class if you could literally train a monkey to do it. Besides that it would probably be easier to talk a DM into training an elephant to have the "rage" feature than giving it full blown levels

Yeah, the spells known/prepared and slots aren't linked.
You can use any of the slots to cast any prepared spells you have, assuming appropriate level.

Yes, this exactly. Bald is also perfectly fine. Beard is not optional.

Tips for a first time DM?

I've made an area the size of a country for them to explore with various plot ideas for each one. Then, I designed the town they start in and the first dungeon they will inevitably be herded into.

Should I make small little encounters for each major establishment of the town? Conversations, happenings, etc. Or is it better to just do that on the fly?

Honestly, as much fun as being a cult leader was, it would have been way more fun to stay Vegeta if a Goku was there

Fortunately they're some of the more well known

and the other one

Have ideas, but nothing concrete, be prepared to ad lib a lot, and never expect your train to go underailed.

ForeverDM / homebrewer here. But my characters usually end up being the de facto leader of the group (due to who I play with and my irl personality), so I gravitate towards Fighters, Paladins, and gish types. I hate monks.

this is me.

First off, really appreciate the feedback. What are your thoughts on:

> Dropping to Light armor requirement only, or bumping up AC while unarmored
> I like the explosive dice route, like how about making it MAX Number or something?
> I like the "on hit" change.

Living Flame
> Ember Walker to capstone?
> Do you have a suggestion for a different fire themed passive?
> I was thinking spell save DC might be a bit much, or at least GREATLY increases the chances of burning people to death.

I'm not sure if that's what he was implying....

I love "older, wiser" characters. My favorite was a grizzled veteran soldier Valor bard whose bardic inspiration, song of rest, and music/spells were motivational speeches, stories of old battles, and wisdom bombs / universal truths.

If you're really worried about naming villagers, write a little pad of paper with 5 male and female names so you can name the NPC's that they take a liking to
And, like the other guy said, it's good that you have an outline for the story, but don't assume they'll follow it.
Isn't there a quote that goes along the lines of "Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable"? That's literally DM'ing in a nutshell

How bad is it if Ireena gets captured in Curse of Strahd? Is it "well that sucks she was nice"-tier, or "oh fuck things are gonna get bad"-tier?

What class is necromancer? Death Cleric? Necromancy Wizard?

>TFW forever DM
I guess, the few chances I get to PC, I liked this one character that was a (minor sociopath) CG necromancer that couldn't tell the difference between undead and living
He's of noble birth, and above all, cherishes life with childlike naivety, so when his favorite doggo died, he searched the entire library for some healing magic
He couldn't really understand the difference between "raise dead" and "revive dead", plus going all the way to the church seemed like such a hastle
So he made a abomination zombie doggo, since he was inexperienced during the ritual.
The doggo, despite being heavily crippled, still loves him, and chills out in his backpack, since he really doesn't have control over his legs
I liked him because he was silly enough to have scooby/shaggy moments, but could also get serious because of his beliefs

That's a really nice character idea, a boy and his dog given a bit of a morbid twist, props to that guy

In the book? She just becomes a vampire and gets locked in a crypt. The party continues the campaign in shame because they're huge fuck-ups.

>a boy and his dog given a bit of a morbid twist
so... a boy and his dog?

What's it like being this autistic?

oh fuck i forgot.
now i'm sad.

Haha, thanks. I've only had the chance to break him out once, but I'm trying to convince force my friend into DM'ing so I can break him out again
If anyone else has this problem, how do you y'all handle >forever DM

>The first 3 levels of 5e are clearly designed to slowly build up the basics of the class at hand and how the funny shaped dice work.

Exactly my point. It's babby shit aimed at new players. The entire system is designed around casuals. It's all to draw in new players and nothing to sustain them once they get there.

It's basically a 50 dollar tutorial. Doesn't Dungeon World exist for this kind of "intro to RPGs" crap?

For me its the concept, which in 5e could be the Death Cleric or Necro Wizard.

>The only time I've seen sessions surpass 5 was when the session -started- post 5, save for my first character who's level 6 from level 1 and in play stasis for who knows how fucking long.

Your inability to sustain a campaign is not my fault, nor is it the fault of real gamers who are able to keep a campaign going for more than 20 sessions. if you can't handle that, that's your problem. The devs shouldn't be catering to casuals who play the game for a couple months then move on to the new geek-chic activity of the month.

Oh that's sad.
Fuck.
If I'd just played a good aligned character none of this would have ever happened.

I heard this in my head as a monty python sketch.
Why did this sound like a monty python sketch?

The meat of the game happens after the babby levels. The babby levels take no time to get through in the first place, and you don't even have to *start* at babby levels. Just start at level 3/4 you fuckit.

Wizard: Theurge (Gandalf!!!), Artificer (for !!SCIENCE!!), Enchanter ("Look into my eyes...").

Monk: Long Death (I have one character in waiting that is an assassin who is insanely maternal, constantly mussing with the party members' hair to make sure it stays right)

Rogue: Swashbuckler. Daring pirates, need I say more?

Druid: Moon for dips, Land for actual play. I especially like my Steeder forms...

I am firmly convinced CN can be played right. I haven't met anyone in-game who has actually tried.

>HEALING IS SHIT, IT SUCKS, ITS A WASTE OF A TURN!
>ALWAYS HAVE DECENT CON BECAUSE IF YOU DON"T YOU"LL DIE IMMEDIATELY HP IS ALWAYS GOOD!

I don't know what to believe anymore. On a side note why does barbarian just feel way better than fighters?

Being proactive is better than being reactive. Rather than waste spells trying to keep up with enemies that keep pumping damage into you, neutralize the enemies so that the damage fucking stops.

Grog is a decentl played CN imo

I didn't say large amounts of time, faggot. I"m talking it should last more than six encounters. That's half a fucking adventure.

> Do you really enjoy ending whole encounters with sleep or else dying to a few lucky goblin hits?

Who said anything about that? It's not my fault the game is shittily designed at lower levels. It's yours, and the developers, for creating that shitty experience. I guess the result is to throw it under the rug and make the game suck ass even more. Here's a tip: try AD&D. It is far superior to this tripe.

Legitimate autism

Staying in the fight longer is better than having a few party members spending time pushing that hp number back up.

Barbarians get some nice things over fighters, but fighters get the feat support to make up for that.

Necromancy Wizard and Oathbreaker Paladin are the big two who can get some big boys under their control. Death Cleric gets some potential, but isn't really that much better than any wizard with the appropriate spells because few of his abilities synergize with it.

>I"m talking it should last more than six encounters
>toxic levels 1-2
>lasting more than six encounters
Kys senpai - nothing about those levels is even remotely interesting. It's literal babby-tutorial shit.

But feats looked like shit.

>The babby levels take no time to get through

That's why 5e is shit though. Because it just fast-forwards through the low levels so that there is no effort involved and thus no feeling of achievement at leveling up. Might as well let the PCs level up after every session! You'll get to level 20 in no time! Since no one gets past level 6 anymore because they can only play once a month because they have an important career and have to "build" their relationship with their fat cow of a wife as well as changing the diapers of their shitspawn, why not just have an instant level-up to level 20 after each game?

Like I said, actually played. I really like Grog, he might be my favorite NPC in OotS

They are shit. They should have been left out of the game.

Wizards of the Coast is so bad at creating viable feats that they literally had to slip in Ability Score Bonuses to keep them worth taking. And most of them still aren't.

Feats are crap. That's what happens when you force them to live up to an unrealistic standard then make them even more useless than the 3.5 feats.

>The babby levels take no time to get through
>"That's why 5e is shit though"

>the game is shittily designed at lower levels
>"Therefore we should have more of those levels!"

Trisomy 17p?

Then go back to playing 4th edition if you're too much of a pussy to play D&D the way it's meant to be. Loads of gamers enjoy low-level combat and Wizards of the Coast basically said "fuck you" to that because they want to fellate the hordes of hipsters invading the hobby. There is no other good reason. Why even play the fucking game if you can't stand playing at the levels that aren't "interesting" (read: wahhh I can't cast fireballs out of my ass therefore it's boring), just start at level 25, oh wait you can't go past level 20 in this shitstorm of a game. Start at level 15 then and masturbate to how proud of yourself you are. Then throw a tantrum when mommy doesn't bring you your tendies within 30 seconds of asking, because that is the level of immaturity you are displaying here.

They should have remained like they were in 3.5. The crowd that doesn't like "character sheet paperwork" are shitters that need to be purged.

I'd be down for removing any feat that increases damage, ac, spell pen, etc.

>Alert crap
>Lucky crap
>Resilient crap
>Polearm Master crap
>Great Weapon Master crap
>Sharpshooter crap
>Mobile crap
>Sentinel crap
>Heavy Armor Master crap
>War Caster crap
>Healer crap
OH AM I
LAFFIN
OH

to be fair in 3.5/3.pf you get more class identifying abilities by level 3 than you do with 5e. You aren't really your class in 5e until like, level 10.

Fighting is generally better than healing, but there are spells available that allow you to deal damage while healing. It's about taking advantage of action economy and planning out the fight.

As for the notion of barbarians being better than fighters, I've literally had the opposite impression when I played a barbarian vs playing a fighter. I prefer having a high AC and negate weapon damage by being hard as he'll to hit to reducing all weapon damage by raging. I'm not saying that one is better than the other indefinitely, just sharing my opinion.

If, somehow, 3.5/pf ran as fast as 5e, I'd be okay with running 3.5/pf, even though, subjectively speaking, I like 5e better.

Depends on how good your DM is at encounter building. Having a full blown healbot will destroy the tension of a lot of encounters. Some DMs will respond to that by scaling up the difficulty, making the healbot necessary. Plus some DMs might just make encounters that hard in the first place.

Ideally, you shouldn't need a dedicated healer, though.

> more of those levels

No, I am saying we should have the same amount of those levels as before. At least there is a discernible difference between level 1 and level 2; by level 15 or level 16 there is basically no difference. If you can't understand this, learn what the fuck logarithms are because I am not explaining this shit to you. The game wants to fast-forward you through the first three levels then slow you the fuck down because by then you've bought their 150 dollar books and they don't really give a fuck if you play the game or not.

Oh great here comes the anime poster.

>No, I am saying we should have the same amount of those levels as before
So more of those levels ;)

I guess thats a fair point. If I was playing a healer character I'd feel like shit if the DM started scaling up encounters because I was doing a good job. The reason I'd ever want to play a dedicated healer/Paladin focused on being tanky and shit is to never feel in danger which I guess is the exact opposite of the effect the DM wants.

Even now when I'm making a character (human variant fighter thats going to wear plate and use a heavy crossbow/sword and board) I'm making that character built around the idea in removing as many dangers as possible over dealing the most damage possible. I'd feel like my choices were horribly invalidated if I got wrecked by scaling difficulty.

I feel like most classes come into their own around level 5/6.

Mobile really is an awesome feat. I can't think of a martial character where I wouldn't want it. Maybe barbarian?

Hi 5eg

I have 105 gold to spend from someone else's starting money. I already have 300 feet of rope, a mule, a cart, a locked chest, a spare mastiff, and a 40 gallon barrel of ale. What else can I spend the money on?

They are all shit compared to a +2 to an ability score.

>You aren't really your class in 5e until like, level 10.

Again, that is shitty design in 5e. Not an excuse for shitting up the level system to compensate. It's called, learn to design the game properly Mearls. Just simplifying it doesn't make you a good game designer, everyone and their uncle has been doing that for years.

Usually, but if you're a variant human or have already capped out your primary stat they're generally *better* than going after most class's secondary stat.

I guess I'm mainly thinking of paladin, they don't get any really useful auras until like 10 I think. Maybe most people would consider smite the ability but I think lay on hands, auras, immunity to poison/desease/fear, and detect evil are my go to Paladin abilities

> If, somehow, 3.5/pf ran as fast as 5e, I'd be okay with running 3.5/pf, even though, subjectively speaking, I like 5e better.

> t. someone who never mastered the rules of 3.5 and whines about his inability to learn rules