Moorescoin - solving volatility

So... Cryptocurrencies have got the "crypto" down, but forgot the "currency" part buried under a pile of to the moon, pump n dump, ponzi and austrian psuedoscience. I'm basically going to reiterate something I initially thought of in 2013.

Remember: MV = PQ

----

Moore'sCoin is named after Moore's Law, the approximation that the number of transistors on an integrated circuit doubles every two years.
Moore'sCoin will be designed specifically to combat several extremely common criticisms levied against Bitcoins and its various existing Altcoins. Early adopters are rewarded to such excessive levels that it can often appear to be (or some would claim truly is) a pump and dump scheme. Additionally, Moore'sCoin will be capable of maintaining much more long-term stability as the production rate of Moore'sCoin is roughly tied to the amount spent on new hardware in the past 5 or so years for mining the coins. Instead of the coin rising in value at extremely high rates, it will instead be much more stable. Moore'sCoin is not a coin for the speculator; it is a coin for the rest of us.Although a lot of Bitcoin supporters will dispute this, the rapid deflation of Bitcoin is very hostile to its ability to function as a currency.
I don't need to go into specifics, all I need to say is that Moore'sCoin would also prevent much of this deflation.

At a basic level, the algorithm for deciding how many coins are mined is set up as follows:
For all use of $ in this example, the value of the $ is fixed at some arbitrary point as opposed to changing. Imagine person A purchases a mining rig for $1,000 on this day in 2014. They then mine for 1 hour and recieve X coins. Person B purchases a mining rig for $1,000 exactly 2 years later, and also mines for 1 hour. Although the mining rig is twice as fast as a result of Moore's Law, they also receive X coins.
Hence, Coins mined per second per value of investment is constant. Early adopters and late adopters are awarded equally.

Other urls found in this thread:

mathsisfun.com/sets/function.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Now onto the algorithm itself:

1 Block every 1 min
Difficulty adjustment every 60 blocks
Hashing Algorithm : Whatever
Coin Supply : No Limit
Reward for Block (The important bit) = (2×Difficulty)/2^(1+Y/2) where Y = years since first block was mined.

To put this into perspective:
When Y = 0 (the first block), the reward is = Difficulty.
When Y = 2, the reward = 1/2 Difficulty
When Y = 4, the reward = 1/4 Difficulty
When Y =9.21, the reward = 0.04109 * Difficulty
However, as Reward per difficulty decreases, the cost of equivalent hash/s hardware decreases at roughly the same rate, resulting in the constant coins mined per second per value of investment.

The precise multiplication of 2*Difficulty will need to be adjusted to produce a suitable rate of coin production to give numbers that are easy to handle. The ideal situation would probably be what initially provides 3 coins per day per $1,000 (at current value) hardware invested. Additionally, the precise division of Y/2 will need to be adjusted for optimal correlation with Moore's Law using hash/s instead of transistor count, or the algorithm could be adjusted to take into account predicted deceleration of Moore's Law.
I am not a programmer; I am not an expert on all things cryptocurrency. Most of this was typed out in an hour following another hour staring at the wall and pondering solutions. However, I believe that what's already here is a starting point for addressing criticisms against Bitcoin and existing Altcoins being adopted as a general purpose currency. Low number of transactions processed per second is also considered a major obstacle preventing widespread adoption, but work on that problem is already being done, whereas work on the volatility end of the adoption issue is a lot weaker.

A brief explanation of how this limits speculation potential:

Speculation in Bitcoin is based upon a single principle which has generally held true for several years now: It is much cheaper to mine a bitcoin now than it will be in a month. This applies to both the cost of the mining equipment and that of electricity.
Hence speculators are running on the idea that over time the cost associated with mining a bitcoin increases exponentially, which so far it has. Good for the speculators. Annoying as fuck for anyone trying to use it as a currency.
Moore'sCoin would eliminate that principle. Instead, it would be "It's approximately equally expensive to mine a Moore'sCoin now as it would be in 1 month's time". It achieves this by using Moore's Law to make a very accurate estimate on how many times more powerful a device of the same cost will be that 1 month later, 1 year later etc, and then adjusting the ratio between Difficulty and Coins per Block based on this estimate.
If there is no major changes in the cost of mining 1 Moore'sCoin, then that eliminates most of the driving force behind speculation. A few spaces for speculation remain, such as use of the currency growing faster than the mining of the currency, but these are minuscule compared to the ridiculous levels currently associated with Bitcoin.

And lastly for this infodump: What if we don't want to risk trying to predict moore's law? Yes, we can actually chop out the Moore's law depreciator, if you wanted.

Reward for Block (The important bit) = (2×Difficulty)

In this scenario, if moore's law continued to hold, we'd expect it would take ~40% less effort to mine a coin one year in the future than what it currently takes, and hence something like 40% inflation per year. This is moderately severe inflation, but still a thousandfold improvement for usability over current volatility.

>Moore'sCoin will be capable of maintaining much more long-term stability
>Instead of the coin rising in value at extremely high rates, it will instead be much more stable
Mining doesn't dictate price, retard. Plenty of mineless coins (100% initial supply) have been released and they're just as volatile as anything else
>Moore'sCoin is not a coin for the speculator
You don't get to decide that on an open market retard
>person A purchases a mining rig for $1,000 on this day in 2014. They then mine for 1 hour and recieve X coins. Person B purchases a mining rig for $1,000 exactly 2 years later, and also mines for 1 hour
This can be solved much easier by just rewarding time "checked in" instead of your retarded scheme.

>>person A purchases a mining rig for $1,000 on this day in 2014. They then mine for 1 hour and recieve X coins. Person B purchases a mining rig for $1,000 exactly 2 years later, and also mines for 1 hour
>This can be solved much easier by just rewarding time "checked in" instead of your retarded scheme.

And you ensure each check in is unique how?

>Mining doesn't dictate price, retard. Plenty of mineless coins (100% initial supply) have been released and they're just as volatile as anything else

The 100% initial supply thing is even worse.

You're forgetting the "Supply is fixed and therefore if widespread adoption happens they'll be worth millions each because the entire global population will be scrambling over a few hundred thousand coins" hysterics that fuels speculative bubbles.

Moore’s law as a factor of difficulty is dumb because equipment for mining isn’t exactly following a linear growth curve

Oh I already noted that it might not be linear.

To be on the safe side, an underestimate to yield moderate inflation is perhaps the best tuning.

The same way shitty russian F2P video games does, or your local bank. This is a solved problem.
>The 100% initial supply thing is even worse.
I'm not saying it's better. I'm just saying you're retarded for thinking that altering how mining happens will somehow let you control the price

>speculative bubble

fuck off retard

>might not be linear
More's law is literally a grade school exponential function dumbass.
How bad at math do you have to be to not know if this is linear or not?

I'm not saying it's better. I'm just saying you're retarded for thinking that altering how mining happens will somehow let you control the price

It doesn't let someone control the price, but that doesn't mean it won't affect pricing.

If the rate of coin mining approximately scales linearly with interest in the coin, that can go a long way to satisfying keeping the whole MV = PQ setup stable.

I mean you might not want to keep the "2" in ^(1+Y/2) linear.

>MV = PQ
eyyyy
glad to see there are other people thinking about this problem with bitcoin. the idea should probably be reconciled with variable cost in a PoW situation (the only miners will be in Greenland). I imagine that your moores coin would have to make a transition to PoW + fancy PoS eventually.

>that doesn't mean it won't affect pricing.
That's exactly what it means. Again, coins where mining is not a factor altogether (a more dramatic change than your shit) STILL have no different behavior.
>If the rate of coin mining approximately scales linearly with interest in the coin
But it doesn't dummy, if rewards are constant then so is mining. You don't even understand you own idea lol

>you might not want to keep the "2" in ^(1+Y/2) linear.
But then it's not mores law anymore retard. And if you can just go around changing it willy nilly then it's absolutely worse than a 100% premined coin.

for

>But it doesn't dummy, if rewards are constant then so is mining. You don't even understand you own idea lol

Total reward isn't constant.

>But then it's not mores law anymore retard. And if you can just go around changing it willy nilly then it's absolutely worse than a 100% premined coin.

It will be fixed, it just might not be fixed at "2".

Correction, it will be a fixed function, the output of the function itself won't necessarily be fixed.

>Total reward isn't constant.
>person A purchases a mining rig for $1,000 on this day in 2014. They then mine for 1 hour and recieve X coins. Person B purchases a mining rig for $1,000 exactly 2 years later, and also mines for 1 hour. Although the mining rig is twice as fast as a result of Moore's Law, they also receive X coins.
This means that unless the price is increasing constantly, rewards are constant. Constantly increasing prices is literally the opposite of what you wanted. I can't believe how little you understand

If it's fixed then it's an exponential function retard. You literally don't even understand grade school math.
That violates the definition of a function lol. Here it is explained for kids
mathsisfun.com/sets/function.html

>This means that unless the price is increasing constantly, rewards are constant. Constantly increasing prices is literally the opposite of what you wanted. I can't believe how little you understand
Are you incapable of reading the block reward function. Allow me to reiterate.

(2×Difficulty)/2^(1+Y/2)

Block reward scales with difficulty.

if its value will not change between early and late adopt what is the point ? It will not follow inflation of fiat

The value change between early and late adopt is entirely why people see crypto as a giant ponzi. It's the largest barrier to actual use of crypto as a currency.

Again, it doesn't mean what you think it means because you literally fail grade school math
>(2×Difficulty)/2^(1+Y/2)
This is no different than how bitcoin currently works retard. You just specificed a different falloff function

Moore's law doesnt hold up any longer...

Bitcoins rewarded per block absolutely DO NOT scale with difficulty.

I've already mentioned that the falloff can be tuned to reflect this.

People who mine don't care about reward in crypto dummy they care about real money.
Your reward in money depends on exactly the same factors as BTC.
I just remember I'm talking to someone who literally doesn't even know what a function is.

>falloff can be tuned to reflect this.
see bottom

>People who mine don't care about reward in crypto dummy they care about real money.

Yup. Well done for noticing. The entire point is to try to keep the real-money value of mined coins constant. This is done by scaling coin generation by difficulty.

>
I just remember I'm talking to someone who literally doesn't even know what a function is.

It's 4am and I have a migrane.

>The entire point is to try to keep the real-money value of mined coins constant.
Yes. see

also see middle

when you say "total reward" I thought you meant coins rewarded per block.

If you mean "coin per hash" or "usd per hash" then that's a different thing. Thats what I'm intending to keep fixed (with some depreciation to account for hardware improvement over time)

>I thought you meant coins rewarded per block.
I was quoting YOU dummy.
>Thats what I'm intending to keep fixed
But none of what you've said will make that happen retard. As per

That's all super neato but bitcoin was the first one and it's not broken yet so the millionaires that give a fuck about such things have hitched their wagons to it. That's all you need. A coin that is one of many that's a little bit better at some things doesn't have a chance, it's a waste of time except as a thought exercise.

>real-money value
I think you mean real value.

bitcoin is cartel controlled & is not sustainable -
not the price, but the incentives for contributing to the network & the efficiency of the network.