SCP Foundation Thoughts?

What's Veeky Forums's thoughts of the SCP Foundation?

Would it make a good enough setting for a game given all the factions, and mini stories/lore created?

How would it function/work?

Any personal favorites?

Other urls found in this thread:

scp-wiki.net/scp-009
scp-wiki.net/scp-610
scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-173
youtube.com/watch?v=LGxYrt6UoiQ
scp-wiki.net/scp-1678
youtube.com/watch?v=lBu0iBA_48I
youtube.com/watch?v=PC42u36qwxw
scp-wiki.net/the-worm
scp-wiki.net/scp-453
scp-wiki.net/scp-1127
scp-wiki.net/scp-001-o5
scp-wiki.net/scp-093
scp-wiki.net/dr-manns-proposal
scp-wiki.net/the-cool-war-hub
scp-wiki.net/groups-of-interest
wanderers-library.wikidot.com/
ci-wiki.wikidot.com/
psychotronicsdivision.wikidot.com/
goc.wikidot.com/start
mcd-curios.wikidot.com/
scp-wiki.net/scp-426
scp-wiki.net/scp-2521
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are We Cool Yet is my favorite thing to come out of it just because I like the idea of a bunch artists using horrible magic and superscience in the name of creating what I'm sure they think is high art, ranging from grand public displays to private jokes at the Foundations expense.

They're Improve Everywhere, but evil.

>Would it make a good enough setting for a game given all the factions, and mini stories/lore created?

Yes. It has some neat lore and possibilities. Playing as a guard is basically just modified Delta Green and playing as a D-class is, eh, fuck if I know. It's something with extremely high lethality and a bunch of spooper shit.

I'm a big fan of the Serpent's hand,mostly because I imagine them as a bunch of dudes with magic items who chill out in a comfy library and sometimes go out to fuck someone's day up

So Trail of Cthulu on steroids,with a party of unlucky inmates?
Sounds fun

Their a really great GOI just trying to visualize a hipster with a artisan taste for the anomalous.

Stranger Things
Personally the thing I'm most interested in is how skips would react to each other. Like, the Cult of the Broken God. How would they react to a world ending skip? Would they, along with the other "evil" groups of interest ally themselves with the Foundation to find out how to stop the skip? Because it seems like the skips are friends with each other. Besides being forced to attack each other, skips like 682 don't attack other anomalous beings.

Oh and I'm super interested in the Fae. I feel like they're being hyped as being the BBEG of the SCP world.

not same user but the best part about it is that you could always be another GOI.

>Don't feel like trying to bring back the skull that turns you into potato mush

>Why not: destroy it with mechs and exo-suits (GOC)

> make it into a weapon for later use on other GOIs with local thugs (CI)

>or just sell it to the top seller in society's 1% (MCD)

I'm pretty sure the only reason the sentient ones aren't at war with each other is because the Foundation keeps them contained.

Best part that could be your own head cannon whose the current BBEG of the universe.

Like the fae (if were referring to the same thing?) were only truly present in one of the SC-001 entries as showing the utter horror of the factory

And i can already see a campaign of the Church of the Broken God trying to get one of his pieces from another GOI or trying to deal with heresy between other sects, like the ones that turn themselves to PCs

PCs could modify their own bodies with metal parts slowly become bronze machines

>Like the fae (if were referring to the same thing?) were only truly present in one of the SC-001 entries as showing the utter horror of the factory
Oh, the Fae are supposedly the first beings to rule the world, but were overthrown by the combined efforts of SCP-1000 and humanity. Then humanity backstabbed SCP-1000 and genocided them, but a few escaped and eventually got the SCP designation.

The Fae (as a whole) are designated SCP-2615. SCP-1826 is also a Fae. SCP-2932 makes a mention of the Fae, saying they were the first to rule the world. Now the Fae are slowly regaining their forces, set to retake the world.

Well yeah that's pretty much how it goes in most stories or SCP files. That these GOI's are just so massive in scale and influence that Sentient Scps wouldn't be able to openly act for more than a couple of days before being noticed and tagged immediately where they are either:

>Captured and placed in a cell for the rest of their lives where they will be tested on till the day they die
>Found and proceed to be shot/burned/maimed/blown to bits
>Captured and turned into a weapon
>Captured,drugged, and sold to the top bitter
>Turned to art
>Destroyed for being heresy
>etc...

The only contrary comes really to SCPs that are bacteria based/related. here they are a combination of being so absurdly contagious and infectious or distant from peering eyes.

Like the Red Ice SCP-009
scp-wiki.net/scp-009
or The Flesh That Hates
scp-wiki.net/scp-610

>That feel when I first found this scp stuff posted on /x/ and thought it was real
Many a sleepless night were had. It was pretty spoopy at the time.

>tfw i know that feel

There was that one, the like chicken statue in the abandoned building where it would teleport and instantly kill people. That one in particular was nightmare fuel for days.

The Flesh that hates would make for a perfect oneshot game of D-Class personnel. I want to find the youtube video of it again but basically there is details of when they first investigated it and several SCP personnel were infected. They managed to stim to the infection by basically shoving them into a freezer and putting them into induced hypothermia but otherwise they were boned. So they had the choice to either take the .45 caliber retirement or go into the village and explore as much as possible until they are killed or put a bullet in their own heads.

>SCP-173
scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-173

Yeah that was the first one written ever, the ones that were just simply things and not even sentient always spooked me out or just kept me interested like SCP 2000

Yeah it's directly connected to the article their links in it so if you look through it you'll find it but here you go

youtube.com/watch?v=LGxYrt6UoiQ

Its long though....

>that nostalgia
Thanks user, I can't believe you knew what I was vaugley rambling about and linked me to the exact story. Truly Veeky Forums is the best board.

No problem, but the best part about it is seeing the progression of concepts and writing techniques in the newer articles compared to the earlier works

Look, I Fucking love SCP-1678. I love it so much I wrote two paragraphs about it before my shity i-pod browser crashed and everything was deleted. Just read it, it deserves to have a campaign run in it
scp-wiki.net/scp-1678

I got you the audio version famalam
youtube.com/watch?v=lBu0iBA_48I

A entrance monologue by the Volgun
youtube.com/watch?v=PC42u36qwxw

And the possible prequel
scp-wiki.net/the-worm

Enjoy if you didn't already know about these.

I remember this. Shit, haven't looked at in in five years.

I remember then it was a spectacular egofest and self-insert parade where the backlash from shitty self-insert superpowered SCP number characters and the subsequent purge managed to delete a handful of faintly interesting shit things, ignore the hundreds and hundreds of mediocre, badly-written, generic, derivative, reskin, shit entries, and fortified the power of the top clique so badly and so arrogantly that their own masturbatory self-inserts were literally used to rewrite, sabotage and mock the entries of people they didn't like.

I wanted to get into it to write a few of my own, and more importantly to clean up the shitty boring stuff, but they had some application form to fill out to even be considered that was longer than most resumes I've filled in. So I just gave up, got drunk, and wrote a notebook of weird fucking shit instead. I've done two since then and idly wonder if I could find a publisher for it.

The idea of a public access spooky shit archive is cool, but instead these chumps came across as what would happen in you took Delta Green/Arc Dream and replaced all of the professionalism with high school drama.

Every so often someone mentions them, and in ways that suggest they aren't as bad now, but maybe they're just new to discover it and the novelty is still prime.

Someone tell me if it stopped being shit.

>I remember then it was a spectacular egofest and self-insert parade where the backlash from shitty self-insert superpowered SCP number characters and the subsequent purge managed to delete a handful of faintly interesting shit things, ignore the hundreds and hundreds of mediocre, badly-written, generic, derivative, reskin, shit entries, and fortified the power of the top clique so badly and so arrogantly that their own masturbatory self-inserts were literally used to rewrite, sabotage and mock the entries of people they didn't like.

Clef took full responsibility for all of that and then wrote it all out as that SCP that turns written things into bad fan-fiction escaping into the personnel files.

I'm quite fond of taking SCPs and using them as magic items.

From my personal interactions to the mods/admins to the shit i heard the tops did early on they have gotten better, however some of the top/veteran authors has gotten to their heads and act out

I have always really wanted to run a game in the SCP universe, so much potential. I would probably run it as players are a member of Some MTF that regularily deals with some of the groups of interest.

I've been in a couple semi-official ones (as in, branched off the main site). Great possibilities, plenty of goddamn epic moments, but Veeky Forums tends to like the more focused style of campaign (I started with these kinds of pseduo-freeform things with more than one plot going on at a time).

I think it has gotten much better in recent years, not saying its all perfect but I think the general quality has gone up. Also the GOI are more fleshed out now.

Oh yeah the egofest has almost entirely been wiped out in the articles and are know usually disliked to oblivion, so that's better

But they do seem to have a absurd stance on anti-sjw leaning related articles so that's something

Oh yeah and some of the mods were planning on doing a complete wipe/re-edit on "problematic content in articles" a couple years back. But were stopped after everyone told them to fuck off

It got worse. Every problem you mentioned is still there, and now they've started going back and bowdlerizing the older articles to make them less offensive.

The absolute nadir is SCP-835. They went back and edited the last reveal, so that instead of raping the protagonist, the coral scraped her arm. The rationale was, I shit you not, that the original story was 'triggering'

On a creepypasta website

When the fuck was this? Was this recent or did this happen a couple years back?

I remember reading this one story about the foundation exploring an extinct alternate earth, filled with giant blob monsters following the collapse of a theocratic society that unwittingly created them.

It was really nice, suspenseful, atmospheric, and compelling...

...until the last chapter, at which point it hamfisted in a bunch of really dorky Lovecraft (IT WAS A THING THAT SHOULD NOT BEEEEE) references and sorta explained a bunch of stuff that was scarier when left un-elaborated on. Felt terribly amateurish and nerdy after an otherwise creative story, and totally shit the bed for me.

Haven't read anything else from them.

What.

So... the solution to influential members arrogantly rewriting other people's shit was for the most popular guy to rewrite literally all of it?

I am getting mixed messages here.

Fuck it, I'll go look at the site. Worst case scenario it'll be complete anus and I'll have the satisfaction that my own Book of Fun written in a drunken rampage is better than the net result of a decade of mutual collaboration. And maybe it won't be shit and I'll like it.

That stuff shits me the most. It ain't even Lovecraftian. It's barely Derlethian.

I've been poking around for a bit. It's not all bad, I've been looking at random SCPs for a while and they're moderately spooky. Some of them are definitely more hamfisted than others, but in general, it's not bad now that I don't take it seriously.

> Herbie does not respond to any remote commands, but its video jerks back and forth from target to target, zooming in and out of its own accord

Why is this of all things the thing that bothers me

Oh God that fucking killed me.

This is the kind of shit that rumbles my jordans.

Do you remember the number?

I know the one he's talking about, lemme find it.

Here we go. 093. He's right too, right up until the end it's fucking great.

>The best SCP piece
>Fucking ruin it for literally no reason

SCP-453 tickles my fancy for whatever reason.

scp-wiki.net/scp-453

Also there was one where a room swaps how people "identify" certain objects, i.e they percieve a wallet as a washing machine or whatever. The punchline being an incurion members ends up dying while being contained as a toaster or something. Does anyone know what SCP I'm talking about, I can't find it again.

>Any personal favorites?
Antimemetics, but it's literally impossible to game.

>Someone tell me it stopped being shit
The site operators include faggots, trannies, furries, and you're banned for anything that contradicts the leftist multiculti worldview.

I always find these mind-warping videos extra spooky. Couldn't tell you how to table top it.

scp-wiki.net/scp-1127

The doctor wondertainment ones are always good for a neat little idea.

How the fuck can there even be trannies everywhere when trannies barely exist in the first place? I genuinely don't get this. What are the odds?

The problem isn't actual trannies, it's internet-based attention whores who proclaim they're trannies. It's the same way being gay used to be popular counter-culture.

This.
Have met trans people, but they are rare even in friendly metropolitan areas.
Some parts of the internet they are dropping out of the trees.

What would you use to run SCP? I have always had a hard time picking a system.

GURPS

I think you could run the SCP setting with caveats. Make the PCs a mercenary group that recovers emerging SCPs, seasons involve doing research into the weird phenomenon, hunting the source, and figuring out a way to contain it. Once you've got control you then need to negotiate (or escape) the various organizations who want the SCP. you would also need to heavily curate the existing ones and remove probably 99% of anything Keter level or above (my memory is fuzzy, but whatever the classification is for "can end the world five times over if you don't cross your Is and dot your Ts)

Depends. MTF operatives are basically Delta Green.

I don't think SCP translates well to gameplay of any kind, mainly because everything either kills you instantly if you don't follow a very strict set of rules all the time or doesn't do anything interesting.

Having to tell the GM how often your character blinks so the spooky monster doesn't murder you isn't fun or interesting in any capacity.

That second one is literally just halo flood.

You don't have to deal with those in every mission

It was cool at the start but very quickly turned into a circlejerk once the authors started adding the selfirst-insurts

It's the main draw of the series, so I'd assume you'd be dealing with them quite a bit.

It would work better as a game about running an SCP facility during a crisis, rather than playing as a team of mooks.

Eh, you also have all the groups of interest.

Currently a part of a SCPish campaign, running it on the RIFTS, using the deep horrors module to get many of the monsters and other things.

Kind of a mix of Warehouse 13, SCP and Delta Green. Setting is 5 minutes into the future, and our party is the new hires into "The Firm", I.e. The ones who bump back in the night, think more GOC than the Foundation.

The party includes two "normies"(no powers), an ex cop and mob arms manufacturer, two what might as well be classic mages(me, the jack of all taxes and another just siping their toes into magic), and two psychicly active members, one acting as the team medic.

Party is currently sitting on the aftermath of a cult attack, waiting for back up with two walking wounded(me and the ex-cop), and about to question our host, who, after some sleuthing, turned out to be a reptilian woman and not a kindly old woman, and apparently the target of the cults hatred.

Fun times.

*jack of all trades
Thanks autocorrect

Fucking hell.

I just read the damned thing for the first time in five years, and by god it is now the smuggest, most self-important place I have ever been on the internet. Half these writing guides are more brusque than actual fucking publishers for taking work to them.

I actually think that it can translate into an interesting setting, but ofc it depends on presentation. First and foremost, I think that it'd be really awesome to run a CoC game where the PCs are just average persons, in the earth where the Foundation exists more-or-less as written (more or less because I'd scrap a lot of the world-ending superpowerful mcguffins and shitty fanfiction written in there), and they happen to stumble upon Foundation operations/some Countainment-broken SCP. Now they must survive, both against whatever nightmare is hunting them, and against the Foundation, since they'd quickly learn that being caught by them is just as bad as being caught by the monsters - sometimes even worse.
I'd prolly just pick one SCP to be the major evil, and preferably one of these barely-sentient abominations that behave mostly like animals, and some of the anomalous-building SCPs.

Then again, it's mostly just using inspiration from the SCP universe to build a custom version of it.

Yeah I tried to submit something year or so ago, fucking Christ it's not worth it.

What did you try submitting?

An SCP, and holy shit the amount of rules they had to get it approved were ridiculous, and the fact you had to have it screened by so many staff members, I lost all will to write.

I mean it's one thing to have strict guidelines but it's just draconian there, it's like they want you to reinvent the wheel with each SCP.

Ok that makes sense for a second i thought you were referring to SCP-001:05

scp-wiki.net/scp-001-o5

Se dude best part of this i had no idea the Fae were even a in-universe GOI. I originally thought they were a one off of sorts. This is like finding articles related to "Daniel" the reality hopping kid, The Hanged King, Sarkic Cults before they were added to the main list, or that weird Asian cult obsessed with fire.

I think this one could make a fun campaign.
scp-wiki.net/scp-093

It seems to be different enough to be considered separate concepts. Given that the flood are just Humpty Dumpty aliens who couldn't put themselves back together, while the The Flesh at least implies mysticism in the way it spread and the actions of those completely infected.

I just looked at the site and they already released what looks like the original, with the coral-corpse humping the armoured leg of the main character but also her suit getting pierced in the arm without her noticing.

Or is there a further version that I can find no links to?

The main problem with SCP is that the best things to come from the universe are tough to use in any meaningful way in a game without heavy fiat. Either they don't make sense to focus a game on (the vending machine that gives you whatever you ask for, the woman who can't be allowed to give birth and has to be [expunged] regularly, the room in which you can alter universal constants like the speed of light and the proportionality of the strong force), while a lot of the ones that are interesting enough to base games on are impossible to defeat or are dangerous in a way that can't be modeled mechanically (how do you rule whether or not the player blinked at the statue and how far it moves in the the miliseconds?).

If you can get past that, there's some great stuff for just worldbuilding, though.

Eclipse phase has Firewall, which is essentially the SCP foundation in space.

Hah, this place is a fucking comedy goldmine. Visited last eight years ago to see what was worth it, liked it, but noticed there was a LOT of shit. Went to join and had to fill out a fucking application to get in. Got bored and left.

Fun fact; about half of the 'serious' articles that were so shit I laughed for days at them are still there, basically unedited. These are the guys talking about 'high standards' and 'it's probably not good enough'. I almost want to wander the chat just to see how fucking arrogant they got in the eight years of achieving nothing since.

It's like everything that ever comes from /x/ is cursed to be a massive waste of potential.

Btw, what is your favorite SCP-001, Veeky Forums?
Mine's scp-wiki.net/dr-manns-proposal by far.

If you have not read The Cool War yet, it is an absolute must read.

scp-wiki.net/the-cool-war-hub

scp-wiki.net/scp-001-o5 Dr Bright's proposal, easily for me

Threads probably dead when i post this but...

Yeah your probably right on the leanings on types of campaigns people prefer but it's still a interesting enough concept.

You could also visit the Hubs on the GOI main list given that they have their personal flavour of SCP files.
scp-wiki.net/groups-of-interest

From scouring the inter-webs i have seen a few sister sites be it official or just fan made, though these don't have that much traffic so their usually much slower and smaller, or just kill.

>The Wanderers Library
wanderers-library.wikidot.com/

>The Chaos Insurgency
ci-wiki.wikidot.com/

>GRU Division P - aka "Psychotronics Division "
psychotronicsdivision.wikidot.com/

>Global Occult Coalition - DEAD moved to hub
goc.wikidot.com/start

>Marshall Carter & Dark.ltd - DEAD no activity
mcd-curios.wikidot.com/

Seems like there were a couple of sites that used exist but were terminated rather the user simply stopped or were shutdown by the Mods of the offical sites. Given that it sort of looks the latter from the only remaining references of these sites are the mods complaining about them. These include:

>Alexylva Uni
>Church of the Broken God

Here you go i think SCP-426
scp-wiki.net/scp-426

Seem like the Global Occult coalition would probably be the best to write a campaign around either as a squad or as an mtf from the foundation working with and against them.

Holy shit, they've made a 'history' of the site. This is magnificent reading. Never have so many opinions been so poorly disguised as objectivity.

Could also do a shit hit the fan campaign and have some of the goi join forces

I thought "Keter Duty" one was quite interesting given that it goes with the theme that there is no true order of what came first

>The GOC, SCP, and Church of the broken God joining forces to face that infectious flesh thing

That would be an interesting campaign.

SCP is not about what the illuminati faggots in charge shit out. They're long since gone down the Internet drama and arrogance drain.

It's about what the setting inspires people to create, things like SCP: Containment Breach and Acidverse. Or, your next campaign.

So don't blacklist the entirety of SCP because of stupid Internet drama, that's kneejerking childish /b/ shit. If you like the vibes of ominous all-powerful organizations fighting a shadow war against and over monsters and magical artifacts, then use it.

Yeah a lot of what they refer themselves as "Veteran Authors" have massive egos over newer users as you see in their history page and writing guidelines.

It's a real shame these people are ruining such a great concept.

I was breifly a part of that "community", and let me tell you holy shot, those chatrooms they have are pretty much designated admin dick sucking areas, Jesus Christ.

You could always look through some of the hubs or articles where Goi's interact with each other for inspiration of a campaign.

Good idea.

Any one find any good spooky film related ones? I've tried searching through the names, most of them are just generic "oh, look at this sharp nose crab" and "check this super cool movie theater that changes each month to a different genre."

Some of them are ok, some of them are shit.

>go to the Object Classes page to get a comprehensive list of things in various classes
>it's all pretentious self-indulgent nostalgia wank
>"Oh look at me, I wrote an article using pictures, I'm so smart. This one is also intentionally a joke, look how funny I am"
God damn, and I was having fun reading this stuff. I just want spooky objects doing weird spooky things.

>Oh look at me, I wrote an article using pictures, I'm so smart.

>not thinking that @@%%%%%@@! is the tightest shit ever
scp-wiki.net/scp-2521

>scp-wiki.net/scp-2521
That was the exact one I was talking about. Like I said, I just wanted spooky stories, not meta-pretentious circle jerks. But, that being said, I've been reading through these for a long ass time now, maybe I'm just jaded.

>"Oh look at me, I wrote an article using pictures, I'm so smart. This one is also intentionally a joke, look how funny I am"

What would you prefer? Generic XK-causing temporarily sealed keter-class SCP 227?

Well, ya actually. Personally I like the 1800's-1950 era stuff that's useful, neat and a bit weird. I recently read through that Dead Sea Disk one, and it was pretty neat, while my favorite so far would have to be all those rogue transmissions causing people to do crazy things. I just don't really know where to look.