No gay infantry plebs past this point desu

>mechs are the best! death to tankfags!
>mechfags are all children, patrician choice is tanks!

o i am laffin', where my drone swarm bros at. Lets laugh at these small time ground shitters.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5hJepWBUqZk
youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
hell.pl/agnus/anglistyka/2211/Walter Jon Williams - Hardwired.pdf
walterjonwilliams.net/ebook-store.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Laughing AA guys

we could make a movie out of drones

Drones r gey
t. Guld Goa Bowman

delete this

...LAMS and railguns are gonna revolutionize air support and satellite surveillance.

and by revolutionize, I mean practically eliminate. Barring teleportation technology, the future of warfare is gonna be on the ground, in space, and transitioning between the two is gonna be the deadliest bit.

DROOOOONES

Hey mech bro, that faggot just insulted us! Help me shoot him down so we can get back to arguing which of us is the best; I'll cover you!

All of these are war machines. Are there any peace machines for cuddling and stuff?

Yes, they are called assembly line robots.
"The factory of the future will only have two employees: a man, who will feed the dog, and a dog, who will keep the man from touching the equipment".

Dis unit has hugging arms and wishes to hug mechs in local area!

[Processing intensifies]
New thread when?

Petite armored unit seeking pilot for urban operations (o3)

Wat nao?

Got a drone right here.

Wing was shit but damn the grunt designs.

So redpoll me on drones.

I was under the impression that they'd be best used against Middle East tier targets, where they can be cheaply spammed. Against a real country, First or Second tier, they'd be mincemeat, but useful decoys at best.

They are still highly useful as intelligence gathering platforms. While the larger units slinging hellfires might be vulnerable, even commercial off the shelf units with cameras can be stupid useful for quickly gathering imagery intelligence in real time.

As an example, Russian forces in Syria and separatists in Ukraine have effectively used drones to spot for artillery strikes and to adjust fires in real time.

this is likely the best and most cost effective use of Drones, that or a QRF to support ground forces. I know a few soldiers that were very glad to know there was eyes in the sky ready to get into the mix if they caught any heat. And even against a proper nation at least initially they've got a place in spam and shock tactics.

>Drones
Way to ruin warfare.

Crew in Hull Tanks are the TRUE future.

Why is the USMC using Leopards? What is this fresh new alt historical silliness?

Drones, and airpower in general cannot hold ground.

Conventional armies aren't going anywhere soon.

Drones are best used as expendable spotter aircraft during a conventional war.

During COIN operations, they also make decent weapons platforms and reconnaissance assets, but they shouldn't be the only assets used.

Thats from gungriffon, old mech game series bout a future where murica splits in 2 and the world goes to shit because of (insert modern problem here)

> Drones are best used as expendable spotter aircraft during a conventional war.

They also can serve a roll as expendable air forces for strikes in areas considered too risky to normally attack.

If you know that the enemy has a significant air defense presence in an area, but don't know exactly where, and you are debating doing a strike? Send a drone or two. If it works you delivered your payload, if it fails you are only out some drones.

It also opens up the possibility of decoy aircraft, something normally nowhere near financially plausible. Basically, producing shitty drones that are cheaper than the rockets that the enemy will use to shoot them down, with only a couple of them actually carrying payloads. The decoys can hopefully eat enough air defense to buy time for the actual strikers to get a shot off, and even if they shoot down the entire attack force you are still beating them in cost effectiveness.

This strategy fails in the presence of laser anti-air defenses, however, since that removes the need for expensive missile systems.

I hear a tech firm recently made an AI for Fighter craft that can actually out do the best pilots anywhere.

But it's going to be a very long time until they can actually transfer that AI into a working aircraft and give it the ability to have spacial and situational awareness (In a manner of speaking),

>Why is the USMC using Leopards? What is this fresh new alt historical silliness?
It's stolen.

Never
youtube.com/watch?v=5hJepWBUqZk

>Captain did you hear something?
>No, what is it?
>I think it's droid laughter on the comms. Coming from the planet below, I think there's droid planes on it.
>Ours?
>So sir, probably Remnant Scum
>Load concussion torpedoes, three shells rapid.
>Yes sir!

At that point your drone is basically a glorified cruise missile, though.

Gay infantry eh? Who is going to take the ground to put your connex box full of electronics and comfy pilot chairs and who is going to guard it?

>Brother Captain, it appears something almost rammed into Lower Deck 3 Astro Cathedral, but the Void Shield stopped it. Should we send the scouts out to investigate without oxygen packs as usual?

>DON'T SHOOT I COME IN PEACE

Well, how many rag,tag guerilla military forces are going to have the tech and infrastructure to build laser defense system.

Although that would make for an interesting sci-fi conflict. Construction mecha being used as walking tanks, civilian 3d printers being hacked and modified to churn out shitty but stable guns, toy drones acting as spotters/recon and occasionally strapped with explosives, Spud guns launching home made grenades and some guys back yard laser being hooked up to several gas engines/solar batteries to be used as a mega laser gun.

>xenos standing up straight to give us a better shot

>Opened cabin
>Exposed cables
>Belt hanging
L-lewd. Cover yourself, Fuchikoma-chan!

But user
Cruise missile costs hundreds of thousands of dosh to make.

Military drones cost about a hundred bucks at cheapest and actually armed ones maybe a thousand or two. If anything they are glorified kid's toys.

>o i am laffin', where my drone swarm bros at
Drones are hackable, RAPTORS ARE WHERE IT'S AT!

>...LAMS and railguns are gonna revolutionize air support and satellite surveillance.
>and by revolutionize, I mean practically eliminate. Barring teleportation technology, the future of warfare is gonna be on the ground, in space, and transitioning between the two is gonna be the deadliest bit.
Ok, how do we work giant humanoid robots into all that?

>Dis unit has hugging arms and wishes to hug mechs in local area!
They also make great Meidos!

>Wing was shit but damn the grunt designs.
Debatable about the quality of the series proper, but Leo A BEST!

>They are still highly useful as intelligence gathering platforms. While the larger units slinging hellfires might be vulnerable, even commercial off the shelf units with cameras can be stupid useful for quickly gathering imagery intelligence in real time.
>As an example, Russian forces in Syria and separatists in Ukraine have effectively used drones to spot for artillery strikes and to adjust fires in real time.
>Drones are best used as expendable spotter aircraft during a conventional war.
>During COIN operations, they also make decent weapons platforms and reconnaissance assets, but they shouldn't be the only assets used.
Indeed, Intelligence wins wars after all, and whoever can gather and process the most will have the biggest edge.

>It also opens up the possibility of decoy aircraft, something normally nowhere near financially plausible. Basically, producing shitty drones that are cheaper than the rockets that the enemy will use to shoot them down, with only a couple of them actually carrying payloads. The decoys can hopefully eat enough air defense to buy time for the actual strikers to get a shot off, and even if they shoot down the entire attack force you are still beating them in cost effectiveness.
>At that point your drone is basically a glorified cruise missile, though.
>Cruise missile costs hundreds of thousands of dosh to make.
>Military drones cost about a hundred bucks at cheapest and actually armed ones maybe a thousand or two. If anything they are glorified kid's toys.
Yeah, your basic drone plane is little more than a motorized propeller strapped to a functioning fuselage, wings, and MAYBE control surfaces.
Hell, the biggest expense will probably be the man-hours needed for their actual construction!

A Cruse Missile on the other hand requires a sophisticated on-board guidance system to both keep it's payload safely in the air AND get it EXACTLY where you want it.

>Although that would make for an interesting sci-fi conflict. Construction mecha being used as walking tanks, civilian 3d printers being hacked and modified to churn out shitty but stable guns, toy drones acting as spotters/recon and occasionally strapped with explosives, Spud guns launching home made grenades and some guys back yard laser being hooked up to several gas engines/solar batteries to be used as a mega laser gun.
Gundam has come close plenty of times, especially with it's current setting of Iron Blooded Orphans.

Hell, the backbone of the originals' Earth Federation Army was the MOBILE BALL, LITERALLY a pod from 2001: A Space Odyssey with a Cannon strapped to the top.

An MQ-1 Predator costs about $4.03 million per unit, while a BGM-109 Tomahawk costs $1.59 million a pop.

While reconnaissance drones might cost less, you can afford a few tomahawks for the price of a single drone. This isn't even factoring in the drone's upkeep and operating costs, mind you.

You think that, but you'd be wrong.

>An MQ-1 Predator costs about $4.03 million per unit, while a BGM-109 Tomahawk costs $1.59 million a pop.
>While reconnaissance drones might cost less, you can afford a few tomahawks for the price of a single drone. This isn't even factoring in the drone's upkeep and operating costs, mind you.
>You think that, but you'd be wrong.
That's an MQ/RQ-1 Predator, a thirty foot long medium-altitude, long-endurance drone with a FIFTY FOOT WINGSPAN!

That's roughly the size of a Cessna 172, which can fit four passengers!

Of course it's going to be a million dollar craft, half the cost probably went into the on-board fly-by-wire software to keep the thing airborne, the other half into the sensor suite.

What we're talking about are dime-store planes and quad-copters, maybe a few hundred dollars per unit, thrown into enemy airspace in the thousands to soak up all their available AA munitions before sending in the armed and expensive stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
Also applies to names my friend

If you're going to get reductionist like that, anti-aircraft shells cost a hell of a lot less than drones.

However, "dime store planes and quad copters" are generally only line-of-site and short ranged to boot. If you're that close to enemy air defenses than you can just roll over them conventionally. Or you could just remove the air defense site with cruise missiles or F-35 deployed PGMs.

All of which would cost far less than some pants-on-head retarded drone swarm.

>If you're that close to enemy air defenses than you can just roll over them conventionally. Or you could just remove the air defense site with cruise missiles or F-35 deployed PGMs.
>All of which would cost far less than some pants-on-head retarded drone swarm.
IF you know where the AA is set up to begin with...
Now, sending a few armed drones to act as AA bait first...

Drone armies are here. Organic troops need not apply.

>You have robots that can move and function in ways similar to humans only with greater strength and endurance
>You waste them to maintain some mustache twirling evil "I got mine, fuck you" regime by using them to oppress people still on earth when you have the tech to build goddamn Space Habs

I love the tech and the artist who made this is awesome but the movie is terrible.

check twitter, something like Wednesday or Thursday next week

What kind of Prowler doesn't have twin Cannons?

One of the waves of concept art had a less comical aesthetic then the final game.

>One of the waves of concept art had a less comical aesthetic then the final game.
Which was kinda off point, the original Planetside had guys in bright Red, Blue, and Purple armor fighting on blocky bases and vehicles...

That concept art is cool and all, but the ascetic would really only work for the TR.

The entire movie was caricatures. Shame too, since an actually intelligent person would have used those robots for space exploration and mining and making thing better for everyone.

>Why don't we use our superior technology to help everyone?
Gee, good question. Why don't we already.

I find it hilarious that everyone find the premise of a rich elite hoarding medical and other technologies totally improbable when we already live exactly that way; WHICH IS THE POINT OF THE FUCKING MOVIE.

Better yet, the faggots who complain that all of these messages about inequality are getting in the way of some cyber punk fun.

Shows you how fucktarded we are when you literally have a movie based on technological oppression of society and everyone complains that its not about everyone cooperating and how its just propaganda.

Some of the concept art really goes that way. Ideas like the exoskeletons weren't rare and were more a type of criminal.

The problem is that the villains are just eeeeeevil and want to oppress people because they're eeeeevil. In real life, it's for profit, and good reasons. Elysium just gives lame reasons and lame everything. Shit, Hardwired did the "People in space are living better" thing way before and way better.

Is there a pdf of Hardwired the novel floating about somewhere?

The issue with Elysium was that there really was no obvious reason for the elite to behave in the way that they do. Solving the medical crisis back on Earth was literally as simple as hitting a button and they just never bothered, because fuck the Mexicans or something, I guess.

They can hand out prescription pain-killers and happy pills like every day is Halloween, there are no apparent barriers to distributing medical infrastructure other than time (and even that doesn't seem like a massive issue), and their tech is advanced enough to cure basically everything.

These are things that could be used as incentives to keep workers working, lower employee turnover, keep current employees working better, etc, which would all help keep money in the elite's pockets for basically no investment but they just kind of choose not to use any of it.

The whole premise is just kind of fundamentally fucked over.

>implying Elysium wasn't about the brown criminal hordes breaking into the nice clean first world and how terrible that would be

Yes, there is
hell.pl/agnus/anglistyka/2211/Walter Jon Williams - Hardwired.pdf

Thanks! Do you know if the other two are about as well (Solip:System and Voice of the Whirlwind)?

A few hundred infantry with shotguns would be deployed. You even shoot skeet?

Read the book Seriously this and Nueromancer defined Cyberpunk and it's a fun read.
You see it around in used book stores for 3-4$ Kindle for 5$

No clue, sorry. I'm still on the lookout for those two. Though, I know Whirlwind starts dealing with aliens and stuff, and sort of gets away from the cyberpunk stuff.

walterjonwilliams.net/ebook-store.html
WJW has links to all the places you can get them, but that costs money.