RIFTS

Savage Rifts or Palladium Rifts, it's a new Rifts General Thread! Old thread was auto-saging and I can't believe it's this popular.

RIFTS RESOURCES
Savage Rifts (all books so far)
www113.zippyshare.com/v/WcSBU1dd/file.html

Palladium Rifts books
mediafire.com/folder/3wjc3rr9zqufo/Rifts
fractal-cortex.net/rpg/RIFTS/

Pinnacle Forums
pegforum.com/viewforum.php?f=81&sid=a93e52cb0fccb8481965b5c723dd916c

Forums of the Megaverse
palladiumbooks.com/forums/

Temporal Nexus - Pal Rifts Stuff
temporalnexus.net/multiverse/hosted_sites/rifts-rpg/

Sav Rifts Fansite Stuff
rifts.savageworlds.org/

Rifts pictures on Pinterest
pinterest.com/nexes13/rifts/

Other urls found in this thread:

old-games.com/download/2775/s-c-a-r-a
nexusnine.net/shifter/
nexusnine.net/doc/feat/index.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone read heroes of humanity? Kev view my fuckin mind with this one.

Why exactly are Glitterboys so superior to every other things in the Rifts setting? I know they're relics of a bygone era of technology, but they don't seem to be representative of, or part of, a greater technological paradigm. It's not like we see any other relics from the same age that are as outrageously superior. Right?

Dare I say that I'd rather have a smoothly functioning Palladium system rather than Savage Rifts?

They were the stealth bombers of their time; very advanced, very expensive and very rare.

>boggles my mind that Quebec ends up with a factory full of them

I swear to god one of these days I'll dust off my books and actually play the damn thing. Knowing my luck we'll run a campaign set in England.

>very rare

They seem to be anything but rare...

Are you saying you don't want a low powered campaign fighting over eleven magic herbs and spices?

CANADA. FUCK YEAH
TIME TO SAVE THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD YEAH

No, I don't want Millennium Trees gifting me branches.

>Dare I say that I'd rather have a smoothly functioning Palladium system rather than Savage Rifts?

No, don't you dare.

You can say it all you like. It ain't gonna happen, though.

If Canada are the dicks, who are the pussies and who are the assholes?

I can't find a Lone Star book that doesn't have parts of text cut out, can anyone help me out?

Or an Atlantis book. Is there something wrong with my phone and computer? Anyone else having this problem?

I've had the same issue with coalition wars - no idea how to fix it though I'm afraid.

Rifts has lotsa Vampires, so I assume it has Werewolves and Ghosts and Mummies too, right?

>I can't believe it's this popular.

I think people are being ironically. I wouldn't wish playing Rift to anyone.

Savage Rifts seems to be damn popular.

It's what happens when a long-existing game setting finally gets a system that's actually playable.

There's always been a lot of enthusiasm for Rifts as a setting, coupled with intense disappointment at the system, so this level of hype doesn't seem odd to me. The community has always been there--they've just been waiting for KS to stop pissing in their faces and saying it's rain.

DEMON BEAVER, EH!

and I'm not talking aboot my wife.

>Canada
>saving anyone

They're too soft for the new world and simply continuing to exist because they technology and training. Once they integrate with the new world they're basically fucked.

Werewolves yes (conversion book 1 has them and all the other were types.)

No Mummies though oddly, maybe it's because Keven never got round to doing Rifts: Egypt.
Which I would bet money on being a Techno-Magic Theocracy run by Mummies with at least one power armour or robot based on Anubis, Horus and Sekhmet.

Oh, and everyone would be white, with blacks replaced by D-Bees.

Rifts was strange.

A high-tech iteration of a mummy could be pretty cool actually.

>Rifts: Egypt.

Holy fuck that would rock

>Vampires, Werewolves and Mummies exist in a Rock - Paper - Scissor style relationship.

>Vampires have no smell and leave no tracks and therefore are difficult to hunt by werewolves
>Werewolves think Mummies smell of bacon and are delicious
>Mummies have no blood

>coalition wars
Explain yourself.

It would be a cross between Mummies Alive! The Mummy and this: old-games.com/download/2775/s-c-a-r-a

Egypt is already mentioned in Rifts: Africa.

Sadly it's about as informed as you'd expect a midwestern garage dweller's take on Africa to be.

>and all the other were types

Bloody Roar in Rifts!

>Bloody Roar

Gotta love were-moles

The conversion book sadly only has rules for Wolves, Jaguars, Tigers, Werebears and Werepanthers.
No Wererabbits, Weremoles, Werecyborgmoles, Werelions, Werebats, Werechaemeleons or WereKamen Riders.

Man that game was decent. I don't care what anybody says.

>It would be a cross between

Don't forget Stargate

Boba Fat

What are the main differences or unique traits of all the different weapon manufacturers, such as Wilk's, Northern Gun, Wellington, Golden Age, etc?

I think I would prefer that too, but it's never going to happen so just be happy with Savage Rifts.

>if you can stand those fucking bennies and cards and wild cards and all that meta shit

Rifts seems very 'Murrica! in attitude. Damn interdimensional gonzo burgers.

Why did the glitterboy survive while none of the Chromium SAMAS variants survived?

Wilks: Sleek, light, reliable, relatively expensive, not very high damage (mostly).
Northern Gun: Bulky, heavy, very reliable, cheap, OK damage.

Why? It's not as though Palladium system was anything particularly extraordinary. It didn't really bring anything new to the table, and in fact just brought together a bunch of stuff from other systems.

>No Mummies though
There's a Create Mummy spell in the core book. But they're basically just a different type of zombie.

Are there fear/horror/terror rules in Rifts? And/or in Savage Worlds?

I mean, like, characters being affected by fear, being overcome by terror, that kinda thing.

Should I be worried that one of my players wants to play a Glitter Boy and the other a MARS character? I feel like this may be somewhat imbalanced.

There absolutely are in Core Savage Worlds, and in Rifts, and if you want even more fear flavor you can use the deadlands fear rules complete with fear levels and effects.

Systems like deadlands are so fear heavy you can get a "guts" skill to help you resist fear rather then just a base stat.

It is totally possible btw to die from a super botched fear check.

Say your MARS is a Rogue Scientist type. The GB is the brawn, the Scientist is the brains. Classic odd couple stuff right there, especially if you have the Scientist's curiosity be the catalyst for them getting into all sorts of trouble.

And if the MARS is a Robot or Power Armor Pilot, he'll likely have a faster more agile machine than his wingmate the GB. Remember the GB has to drop his pylons to fire, effectively immobilizing him, or else he gets blasted back by his recoil. A quick buddy providing cover is what he needs. I played an ex-Coalition SAMAS pilot who provided cover for the GB in the group and we worked great together.

Yes. If you bump into something sufficiently terrifying, characters make a Spirit roll (possibly at minuses). If they pass (roll a 4+), they're okay. Otherwise, there are a variety of negative effects. That includes a possible roll on something called the Fright table -- which can be quite nasty.

There is some distinction made between a Fear roll for guts and gore or for horrible evil/monstrous creature. You're less likely to roll on the Fright table in a guts/gore/nausea situation.

In some game backgrounds, you roll against the Guts skill instead of the Spirit stat. Savage Rifts uses Spirit.

A LOT of Savage Rifts monsters cause a Fear check. And a lot of them cause it a -2.

Some versions of Savage Worlds (the Cthulhuesque games) have a sanity stat that can go up or down. Savage Rifts doesn't use that.

Good. Because that Chaos Earth Resurrection looks real fun.

Yeah Id love to play a Savage Worlds version of it.

>I can't think of anything that wouldn't fit... unless someone wrote a Savage Toons book.
Toons are actually psychic entities that feed on laughter. They create whimsical bodies for themselves out of ectoplasm, which they use to induce laughter in humans and d-bees. These bodies are highly malleable, and can be deformed and dismembered without doing any actual harm to the entity.

Now they fit.

I thought a couple of them did? Isn't that what Bandito Arms are manufacturing out of Area 51?

Is that how Spider-Skull Walkers run? Somehow that makes them considerably more terrifying.

Quebec is dicks, midwest is assholes, Toronto is pussies.

The GB suit itself is nice, but the Boom Gun is set as the absolute pinnacle of kinetic weaponry in that size range within the Rifts setting. The suit itself is tough, but the main feature is the ability to fire it without breaking or major repairs.
It is also noteworthy as one of two MD weapon systems with appreciable recoil.

>very reliable
Is there a reliability rule in Rifts? I didn't see one.

I'm more impressed with the suit of armor, actually.

A Glitterboy is only ten feet tall, yet has more Main Body MD than virtually anything else in the game (short of things that are really really huge). Hell, even an NGR robot 35 feet tall still has less MD in its torso than a 10 foot Glitterboy.

What's more, the Glitterboy can survive being shot in the chest by its own gun -- the biggest one in the game -- at least five times. Eight times, on average.

>one of two MD weapon systems with appreciable recoil.
Which doesn't make sense since it's a railgun. They don't have recoil.

They do, actually. It's a commonly held misconception.

It is a beautiful system that has seen constant refinement and evolution over the years.
The problem is with that beauty is that the presentation is fucking terrible. Every tweak and clue is spread across literally every book ever produced. Of my four beefs with Kevin, his reluctance to have a core/collected rules book frustrates me the most, because it makes it hard to bring in new GMs. (Players are easy, they don't need to know anything beyond their sheet.)

Yeah, chromium is nice. They were meant to by the Main Battle Tank for the US and Japan at the height of science and new cold war paranoia.

>It is a beautiful system

Hmm, you are correct, I was mistaken.

I'd hardly call it beautiful, but it would be workable if it was all collected in a single, succinct rule book (without any padding or commentary from Kevin as usual).

what's the lowdown on Texas? What should I read up on if I run a game there, like what's the cool parts?

>it would be workable if it was all collected in a single, succinct rule book

I'd say even that is going too far.

>It is a beautiful system that has seen constant refinement and evolution over the years.

Well, that's a first for me.

I'd call it a basically functional system. But hey man, everyone can have their own opinion. I don't think Siembieda is ever going to publish a cleaned up version of it, because the Palladium system is basically his baby.

What's the Pacific Northwest region like in Rifts?

Yeah, but those aren't exactly the Chromium SAMAS variant used by NEMA. They were experimental variants being tested by the US government, and IIRC don't even have Chromium armor.

The suit is more than just nice. Under original Rifts rules, the dragon and the fire spirit are the only things in this picture with more MDC than the glitter boy.

It's just a fluff thing, and even in Savage Rifts they're subject to the same malfunction rules as anything else.

Northern Gun focuses on a rugged ascetic, and generally their gear is physically tougher.

Wellington is like Norther Gun's cousin that does more work with vehicles and farm equipment that recently broke into arms manufacturing (after obtaining the secrets of MD weaponry from the Black Market in exchange for being a supplier and knock-off maker for them).

Golden Age Weaponsmiths. Their bread and butter is converting old SDC stuff into light MDC stuff. Refurbishing and restoring, they are the unquestioned experts of taking pre-golden-age vehicles and making them moderately useful.
Occasionally they will redesign classics from the ground up and result in some truly powerful weaponry. Like their A-10 and the refurbish work for the Coalition Navy. Where this expertise comes from, or how they knew about the naval stockpile is as yet unexplained.

>What's the Pacific Northwest region like in Rifts?
Wilderness and magical Indians. At least that's all the books have ever said about it.

Neat. So it would be a pretty prime choice for a character that wanted to pull their own version of what the Midwest Brotherhood of Steel was doing in Fallout Tactics (basically establishing a powerbase by offering protection to the locals in exchange for recruits and supplies). I've been mulling over an idea for a mercenary that does something along those lines as a means to establish a power base for a large mercenary company.

Manufacturing for Chromium wasn't seeded everywhere and they weren't as common or long lived as the heavier ground unit.
I think there was a suggestion that the factory in possession of the native americans was capable but needed more resources they had less access to and would draw too much attention.

Somebody help me, I don't wanna read three full books to get the setting down

Go play a game of cards then sonny jim.

This is a mans game, and reading is a must.

What does a player do if his Glittery Boy gets damaged? I should think getting parts for repair -- especially replacement Chromium -- would be pretty damn difficult.

There's an abundance of spare parts kicking around due to the long tradition of them functioning as wandering heroes.

>he hasn't read Worldbook: Africa

But it's like 460 pages! I wanna read as much as I can but I got other things in life other than Rifts. I'm just asking for like a reading guide or something! Please I suck dick great

hey where the fuck is te necron shit, I have Three Galaxies but the index is utter bs. Any help?

you couldn't have picked a worse setting for that you dummy

Read the Lone Star book. Texas is basically one giant underground base that the CS discovered and turned into a major city/biolab. It's run by a mad scientist and produces most of the genetic creatures the CS uses, like the Dog Boys.

For the interesting politics, you'd want to focus on the Pecos Empire portion of the Lone Star book. Sort of it is that there are a number of big personalities and gangs that wouldn't mind calling themself the leader of the region. Outside of the CS wanting to claim they control the former state of Texas, while only really holding the Lone Star Complex and a few outposts, the gangs are the big point of interest in that area. Give New West a look to get a feel for the attitudes and style of the region, which basically is that they've embraced pre-cataclysm media about the old west as a reasonable template for their post-apoc civilization.

There is no index.

Come to think of it, a series of Cliff's Notes Worldbook PDFs could be interesting.

They have a bit at the begining of the book but it only gives me their weapons.

A USEFUL FUCKING WIKI WOULD JUST BE GREAT

There was once a Cascadia netbook around for Rifts, I vaguely remember something about a half-sunken city around Seattle or Vancouver.

But the Brotherhood idea is good too. The Cyberknights are supposed to have a monastery in the Rockies as well.

This was supposed to be the wiki, but I think it's kinda dead. Check it out anyway, it has quite a few entries and links.

nexusnine.net/shifter/

I also recommend reading the Quality In Rifts archive, by the (now deceased) Pete Overton. It had some great ideas for how to improve both the rules and the campaign setting. RIP, dude.

Jeez, forgot the link (scroll to bottom): nexusnine.net/doc/feat/index.html

The idea is that player characters are the exception. Personally, I feel the character is a little op because I generally like characters in my games to gain power as we go along, but its interesting to think of a small group of heroes using power armor given though lineage.

Does anyone have cheat sheets for Rifts monsters or NPCs?

It's a massive amount of work for the GM to prep even a single monster, since you have to roll for attributes, calculate skills, keep of track of a dozen hit locations and MDC tallies, etc.

Summary sheets would be great.

I think this is it. Rifts Pacifica netbook. Damn, I have so much Rifts stuff squirreled away in various places, maybe I should start a website.

Touché.

There are two things that always bugged me:
1. Attributes don't do fucking shit unless they are super high. Why wouldn't I get some bonuses for being pretty decent at something, if 10 is average? I have to be 60% above average to get something?
2: HP increases per level instead of SDC. Lets think about this for a minute. HP is like your life blood, its serious damage. SDC represents you're ability to take a hit. It would make sense for that to increase, you becoming stronger through adventuring. Not that you have more blood to bleed.

Anyway, here is a book of adventure ideas if someone needs some insperado. Have at it.

>and if small pistols can do Megadamage, why have any other kind of damage (and 3 types of hit points) in the game at all?
>crazy kevin