Terrible Homebrew Ideas

So, after snorting copious amounts of stuff, I decided to post a thread dedicated to all the terrible homebrew ideas people have.

To start us out with:

-You work in an asylum for the criminally insane. Silent hill stuff starts happenening. Are you a bad enough dude to escape the asylum?

-Clown RPG where the PC's fight the forces of darkness with pies and rubber chickens. The name would probably be 'Clown: The Honkening'

-A hobo-wargame where you and your army of transients do battle against one another for turf, supplies, and those metal trash barrels that you burn stuff in.

Pic unrelated. Whats yer terrible homebrew game ideas, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

uploadfiles.io/0c2f6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i'd totally play Clown

the asylum and hobo wargame sound fun
the hobo war game sounds like it could be like a "walmart apocalypse" spin off, where instead of being in ciy sized walmarts everyone lives in new york city

and the asylum shit you had me at
>silent hill stuff starts happening

Seconded

All theses sound good

Game where players all play as Cuhrazy demon hunters and fight with each other over spotlight as much as demons. Weapons include anything. ANYTHING

Asylum: Your goal is to get both you and your patients out alive. Instead of health, you have a stress mechanic which rises heavily if you let your patient get killed. Once your stress gets high enough, the things attacking your patients can actually attack you.

Ummm... aren't we supposed to post terrible ideas? Unless there's a definition of terrible I don't know about, these seem pretty good.

As for terrible homebrew ideas : give all players a piece of toilet paper, ask then to pretend to scroll trough it while talking about themselves. The purpose of the game is to get the players to know more about each other.

The players are furniture in a house where a wizard has made all his furniture into disneyesque talking items. Now they must navigate this strange new society in order to escape from the wizard and his family in order to live out their dreams of being a seat in the orchestra.

Homoerotic Action: It's basically every 80's action flick, He-Man, Jojo, Thundercats, and every other thing with extremely muscle-bound characters all wrapped up into one game. You're basically Action Heroes doing epic shit, but It has a system that mimics CoC Sanity, and you have to make a check every time you see another character do something awesome. When you fail enough times you're officially declared Gay.

So Brave Little Toaster, the RPG?

Sex: The RPG. You're in the bedroom, with your partner already, and all players control this one character. The issue is that between four different players and convoluted dice mechanics, it plays more like Surgeon Simulator or a Twitch Plays game. The end result is the GM describing you fumbling with the bra for ten minutes straight, awkwardly paw at your partner for way too long, knock teeth while kissing, forget the lube, come prematurely, and generally fuck up trying to get down and fuck.

Setting where not!Jesus is worshipped by illithids.

Alien Squid Nazis Worship the Not!King-of-the-Jews? Sounds about right.

This sounds like a ton of fun if played with the right people with the right amount of alcohol.

nofun terrible ideas for people who fancy themselves a homebrewer:
>biting more than you can chew and trying to write a 90 page simpled6 system.
>actually writing a 90+page system of any kind, most people won't read it let alone playtest it.
>having more than 12 dice being used for normal rolls (if it's a huge explosion or a cool one-time attack, it's ok)
>forcing your regular groups to playtest your system instead of running something normal once in a while, making them sick of you and your system.
>complexity for complexity's sake, making the game convoluted and hard to understand

homebrew idea, Everyone is John except John is a level 20 3.5 optimized Wizard

It kinda fell apart when I tried to work on it. It ended up being really really really narrow. I probably shouldn't self pity post. Thanks for reminding me of this.

No! This is gold. We're posting some of the most fun shit we'll never play. With any luck some "Veeky Forums gets shit done" will come of this.

Hm, that seems like an interesting dynamic. But since the patients are in the asylum for treating mental illnesses why not add flavour by having the DM roll for sanity loss for NPCs, add what kind of mental illness they might have, and write down a personality type that points them torwards whether they're more likely to either hinder or aid your escape. If pushed to the breaking point or am already unhinged enough, the patient could attempt to murder the PCs.

Example: Little girl holding teddy bear who's being treated for severe psychotic episodes that resulted in the stabbing of her entire family. It doesn't take much for her to snap when monsters paint the stark white walls with blood. A scavenged scalpel comes out and into the ear of the unsuspecting PC carrying her.

Note: don't trust anything cute in a horror game.

That sounds awesome. Another one in a similar vein would be Superman on Hallucinogens using Everyone is John.

Hey man, I thought the silent-hill asylum idea OP posted was p. cool, I was just suggesting ideas for that.

Troper trooper: basically a system or Rock Paper Scissors Spock using TV-Tropes. You either subvert or venerate a trope, and the DM incorporates the trope accordingly to the game.

I once played a pony homebrew that was actually pretty good, race- and class-wise; I really liked my griffon berserker.
The Terrible Homebrew Idea involved was letting one of the players:
>play the game
>occasionally GM
>design adventures
>balance classes
>have their very own special class that just so happens to be excellent at everything except be party face
>let that special class mind-control NPCs in lieu of being party face
>introduce a sex-change spell to the ruleset
I've ranted about him several times here, I think.

I've also tried to make a class or dungeon based on vore, but it never goes right because it's either too stronk in the hands of a PC, too weak to be fun for a PC, or, if I give it to an enemy, the player has motive to lose on purpose. Alas, it was not meant to be.

>terrible ideas
but these are mostly fantastic game ideas.

I want to run a a Pulp Fantasy (maybe future-fantasy) dungeon. With all the Frazettis and none of the modesty of your average game.

"Welcome to the William Hunting Institute for the Criminally Insane.

While you work here, your duties are simple: Attempt to keep our patients healthy, safe, and secure, and to rehabilitate them."

so, for silent hill-esque asylum game, here's muh idea, expanding off You get exactly five wounds. This is because humans are squishy. However, the horrors that have infested the asylum can't hurt you...

Unless yer stress gets to 20. Then they very much CAN hurt you. However, your patients already start at 20 stress, and can easily be harmed. Your job is to prevent that from happening, lest the death of a patient cause your stress to rapidly rise.

Each campaign has a 'focal point', which causes all the supernatural horror as well as preventing people from leaving. The focal point might be a cursed book, an incredibly unstable patient, ect. The purpose of the campaign is to destroy the focal point, stopping the, well, madness. Or at least letting you and your patients escape.

You are all kindergarten teachers. When Nap time hits several demons pop into the classroom and basically seal the children off in an energy prison of sorts while they feed off of their nightmares at which point the Buddha Jizo arrives and imbues you all with the power to travel into each child's mind and rescue them from their nightmares and defeat the demons.

Your weapons are items you'd have as a teacher: A ruler, a pen, a calculator, maybe even an apple. Each one has it's own particular abilities (the calculator can divine information, the ruler acts like a sword, the apple a crystal ball to channel good magic, the pen to create and summon creatures to help you or create things that would be useful)

I like the "focal point" concept

It's amazing how many of those at least partially describe potential scenarios in SS13. (A theory held by some would be that the Station is a cruel social experiment, either by original design or as a later realized "Gimmee" by Centcomm for a hardship assignment. Can you imagine them NOT studying horrific failures to at least get something out of it?)

In the second place, Clowns can be quite doughty - or totally useless depending on a number of factors, owing to the fact that (sometimes allegedly) elite commandos can be disabled with Clown slapstick.

The third would be that the Grey Tide and in many cases, crew in general are often a bunch of scruffy malcontents that are basically incorrigable Spess Hobos that steal everything that isn't nailed down, frequently infight even when it's really stupid to do so, and do not really respect authority unless it is delivered at the end of a stun baton. (And even then many do not really respect said authority so much as have no choice in the matter when they get brigged. They will still verbally abuse and be insubordinate to said authority at great length.)

Some stations also have the option for different groups of player controlled entities, that inevitably quarrel over resources, like Free Golems gobbling ore Mining wants for Stuff, and Ash Walkers (intelligent Lizard People who live in the mining area) beligerantly murdering either party so they can use their bodies to make more ash walkers.

And Drones. Drones are loyal to the maintenance and improvement of the station to a literally autistic degree. They do not even acknowledge the existence of non Drones, and will use everything to fix the station.

They are different from Replicators (alien Von Neuman machines with stun beams) only in that they seek to maintain the station, not tear it apart to make more Drones. (or as MANY drones. Drones often use metal and glass to make more drones. Just not at the expense of the station interior.)

Do we have a game about being some gangstas STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON?
You could be a gangbanger, an emcee, or a dealer, and your goal is to survive the hostile gangland you're set up in, fighting off both rivals and the cops on your way to the top.

There's gonna be mechanics for rap battles, for drugs and drug addictions, for rivals and allies, street fights, and even a mechanic for street races.

Mob Psycho 100 gave me an idea for a rules-lite magic power addition to a system:

Each player has some sort of magic power (stopping time, telekinesis, pyromancy, etc) that they can use. Each use of the power is considered either a Minor (d4), Medium (d6), Severe (d10), or Extreme (d20) use of the power, and the number rolled on the corresponding dice is subtracted from the character's BURST METER. At the beginning of each turn in combat the BURST METER gains +1d6 and RAGEd4 as well. Each time the character takes damage, they can choose whether to bump up their RAGE number by one or not. Obviously the more RAGE they have, the more d4 rolls they can add to the BURST METER each turn and thus the faster it increases, meaning more uses of their power.
If the BURST METER would ever go higher than 100 from any number

While at 100, the BURST METER will not increase for 3 turns. If the player passes 3 turns, the BURST METER will begin to increase normally again past 100. When the player activates BURST MODE from there, they perform OVERBURST EXPLOSION. the BURST METER minus 100 is set as the target number, and the DM rolls a d10 until the total of all the rolls exceeds the target number. Surrounding enemies lose 1 HP per d10 rolled.
If the BURST METER would ever exceed 200, it is instead set to 200 exactly and the character automatically enters BURST MODE on that turn. OVERBURST EXPLOSION does not trigger, and BURST MODE is treated as normal except it lasts for roughly twice as long since it starts from 200 instead of 100.

Thoughts? Any ways to improve it? Also what type of/which specific system would complement this mechanic best do you suppose?

That would make for an interesting board game I think. You'd probably have to have some kind of deck building element, which then fuels the ridiculous combos CUHRAZY characters tend to do. Throw in some boss characters with AI decks designed to fuck up combos and you could call it a day really.

Clown RPG classes:
Whiteface:
A clown among clowns. Whitefaces are generally intelligent, sophisticated, and charismatic.
Auguste:
The anarchists and rebels of Clown society, Auguste clowns are charictarized by being nearly immune to physical punishment, as well as a penchant for insanity.
Mimes:
Expert kineticists, Mimes are pariahs due to their practice of the Forbidden Art.

The Wicker Man RPG.

(the bad one, with Nic Cage, not the good one with Christopher Lee)

>-A hobo-wargame where you and your army of transients do battle against one another for turf, supplies, and those metal trash barrels that you burn stuff in.
for some reason I imagine this as a good game in some bizzare 1980s neon filled post apocalyptic future.

>Cast: Summon Gropey

damn it now I want to play this

I had some ideas for Adventure Paths.
>Break Some Legs:
>You work for the high elf mob, and they want you to splatter this tiefling that stabbed some duchess or other who owed the mob money and ran off with the diamonds she was going to use to pay off her massive debt (the diamonds mostly belong to the mob now).
>Fucking up and not making sufficient excuses to weasel out of it puts you On Thin Ice. Three layers of OTI and you get introduced to the Nice Men, the Mob's best bodyguards who aren't doing your job because they guard the Big Cheese, the guy you answer to. People can Take the Heat for someone who they think is going to go OTI, gaining a layer so that the other character can finish the job in one piece.

>Take It With You:
>You and your companions have discovered the fabulous underground city of gold Plutocra. It is manned by fabulous machine-men, willing servants who attend to your every need made out of gold, and while the food is bland, it's also endless.
>Wait, what do you mean you can't leave?
>The food gets less and less filling every second you spend here, your body seems to be growing weaker, even your mind is growing more sluggish. The walls are immune to magic and mundane means alike, but there is a glimmer of hope.
>One of the malfunctioning machines tells you of an emergency escape route on the far end of the city. But the whole place is a winding maze and the walls seem to shift to block your movement forward. The helper robots insist you eat the food that drives you closer and closer to a peaceful, endless sleep, and don't want you to leave.
>Immortality at rhe cost of sensation and even consciousness... Is it worth it? Now that you mention it, where is Plutocra, exactly?

bullshit

make it a gritty happening taking place with US as players trying to survive 5 years after the 2016 US Prez Debacle.

>everyone's getting augmented and I'm just here with my cyber-dumpster

>Lookie what I found guys!
>Let me guess Frank, it's a shopping cart, we've got a dozen
>Nope! HOVER shopping cart! Wheeeeee!
And that is how three hobos found themselves in the midst of a conspiracy between the megacorps, and the shadow war they're having in the boardrooms.

honestly, this thread is awesome.

>tfw the cyber-dumpster you've been riding around in the whole campaign turns out to be a storage container for the digitized consciousness of the founder of a megacorp

>Holy shit guys my cyber-dumpster just talked!
>Are you high on nanoglue vapors again, Vernon?
>No guys, for real, this thing talks!
>Buy them all Johnny, buy them allllll, forget the investors
>Guys, it's getting creepier and creepier!

>"Why're they shootin' at us, Vern?
>"Tolja Thomas, it's cuza the ghost we got in the dumpster!
>"Ghosts aren't real!"
>"Who's drivin the hover-dumpster then, eh?"

>>actually writing a 90+page system of any kind, most people won't read it let alone playtest it.

Well, don't just complain, post it!

uploadfiles.io/0c2f6
>tfw its file size is huge and I can't figure out how to get it smaller
>tfw it's probably going to end up at 200 pages when it's done

>Dark Heresy as the Ordo Chronos
>Hub is a secret base in the warp that protects them from the effects of changing timelines.
>Except it it's not 100%, small details change like their superior goes from a paraplegic to a woman from session to session
>missions take them from Orcs from the War in Heaven whose tech is a mockery of Necron tech to alternate timelines where different primarchs switched sides

I am also currently in that feel
>Wanted to run a short S.t.a.l.k.e.r. campaign, be cause i was burned out on my previous one
>Ended up writing a full supplement 70 pages long, t over the course of 4 months and it turned into a fully fleshed out campaign. still working on it every day
Kill me now, i just wanted to skip the next worldbuilding

Decided to try and create an easy to read overlay to D&D mechanics.

It's goal is to lessen ridiculousness of absurdly high hp, dependance on rng, entire concept of classes and levels. All of that while remaining simple overlay and making it easy to implement existing D&D features into it.

And while it all seems fitting for general situations, I can't shake off the feeling that it will still wont work, given how bloated D&D is with rulebooks that constantly add new races, feats and spells.

Warhammer Fantasy.
The group is playing a bunch of snotlings trying to subdue an Orc warband.

I'll throw a few on the pile. I've tried recruiting my friends for most of these before but of course everyone just wants to play DnD.

>Ask each player individually what sort of setting they want to play, and whatever they say, tell them it sounds good and to make a character. Make it clear to all players that it will be a silly campaign. The party is now thrown together from all their home settings into a series of pocket dimensions of varying setting and situation, and they have to race to get the Key that will jump them to the next dimension.
I personally would try to make each session completely ridiculous and/or over-the-top
>Zootopia + Xiaolin Showdown, probably run in Ironclaw
Would be easy to run I think, because any time you run out of ideas for their city-based, probably-noir adventure, you just throw a Shen Gong Wu into it.
>Codename: Kids Next Door
Not sure what I'd do for adventures though
>Send the players on a trade sequence that gets increasingly more bizarre. Never stop telling them to get yet another item, until they decide to break the chain themselves.
I can see how they'd get mad, though. And slipping in interesting action every session would be difficult.

>Zootopia + Xiaolin Showdown, probably run in Ironclaw

This could end very badly

Contemporary/near-future Post-Apoc Zombie survival rpg featuring players as Universal Soldier-style experimental supersoldiers that were awakened from stasis tanks after the power failed in their underground research facility in Washington DC a few years after the zombie breakout. Use real life maps and locations for gun shops/ammo resupplies etc.

You don't know how hard I'd play this.

There's a game about that already...I think it's called "All the Little things"

Way back someone was making a card game about CUHRAZY fights.

They were using Dante as the example character.

I could see that working in, say, Texas. Really the US in general. Ammo shops aren't so plentiful in the rest of the world.

The entire party gets turned into one bear. One person is the head, four play the legs. They mist fimd away to return to normal.

The entire party is level 1 wizards. The main plot arc is to go on a quest to figure out why magic stopped working, everyone in the party is now almost useless.

Magical girl magitech game where you are a soldier in a magical army and you go around being a magical operator and preforming missions with your squad.

Thats basicly how gang rape rpg ends up as.

> two rapists, preferably more
> 45-90 minutes, depending on number of Rapists
Third Edition FATAL is coming along nicely

That actually sounds pretty good.

>We're posting some of the most fun shit we'll never play. With any luck some "Veeky Forums gets shit done" will come of this.

That's not how it works. You have to make the effort to do shit for shit to get done

An edgelord anime mary-sue game where players start with ridiculously powerful characters with a long list of different powers and weird sword techniques and shit.

Then they face against even more powerful enemies.

Exalted?