MTG Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Dredge is now Tier 1
>Bant Eldrazi is now Tier 1
>Shadow is now Tier 1
How will this affect your deck choices and sideboards?

Eldritch Moon card image gallery:
>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

TIERS ARE USAGE-BASED. A Tier 2 deck may be better than a Tier 1 deck in a specific Metagame.

I kind of want to build Dredge to go to GP Indy with. I'm going to watch the SCG Open and the Invitational in the next two weeks first, and see if there's any Dredge/Graveyard hate running around before I lock it in.

Also,
Anyone going to GP Indy? What are you playing? Any sweet tech?

>Abzan Co T2
>My face as an Infect player

Tell me, how do you think Abzan Pod would perform in the current meta of modern? I feel like it would be a value deck similar to Jund.

What cards in your opinion should be banned/unbanned?

I'd like to see pic related unbanned.

>Dredge is T1

RIP in peace Grave Troll. The first card to be banned, unbanned, then banned again.

Both and Jace the mind sculptor

All of them.

>24k points on pucatrade
>no one has sent me cards in almost a month because I don't pay pucashill to upgrade my account so I can give extra points to people for sending me cards

Life is suffering in a small town

A more consistent resto Kiki would result in a 24% of the top 8 just like before. What the fuck, son?

They will never send you staples
You better get an edh deck with those points

It's not just staples at this point. I have shit cards for tiny leaders, pauper, and edh and just because I'm not going to give more value than they're worth, no one will send me anything.

This shit is fucking retarded. I knew pucatrade was too good to be true.

>tfw skred pilot
Paradise

>RG Tron is Tier 2

ALL AROUND ME ARE FAMILIAR FACES

WE WAZ KANGZ!

TEFERI AND URZANG WUZ DA KANGZ

You can at least get a chance at a couple free cards.

literally sell your points online for 75% value, pucatrade is shit.

Yeah i tried it for a bit, but it really is a pyramid scheme. I consider myself luckt to get a couple of wurmcoils from there last year

I feel like Blooghast or Narcomoeba is more likely.

As an esperfag, i don't mind

Where the hell did Death's Shadow Zoo come from? I feel like I've never seen it anywhere before and then next thing I know last week it's everywhere.

Make it in top8 in somwhat big tournament -> Everyone buys the deck. It has been a thing for a quite a while. First time I saw it was little over year ago and it hasn't really changed that much in this time.

It made a big splash in the Oath PT

Just Stoneforge. BBE hitting anything in Jund is too good.
Also I feel like DRS can get an unban.

that's a great analogy dude, you should become a professional debater, you clearly have logic in the bag

Get a load of this guy. He thinks BBE is worse for the format than best 1 drop creature ever printed.

Personally I wouldn't mind eve if most of the banlsit was lifted. There is a lot of cards of similiar powerlevel in the list that should be either left there or unbanned at the same time (Jace, BBE, stoneforge, splinter twin, dread return, summer bloom, green sun's zenith. chrome mox, punishing fire, ponder, seething song, sensei's divining top,)

Hell, I wouldn't even mind seeing cloudpost unbanned. Just print a good counterspell in the format and we are good to go.

Why is Green Sun's Zenith banned?

Because it's the best creature tutor in the game. Most utility creatures you want to see are green anyway.

Wut?

>On turn one, this can give the acceleration of a Llanowar Elves by getting a Dryad Arbor. On later turns, it can get a large creature or a one-of "toolbox" creature such as Gaddock Teeg. While this is interesting, it is also too efficient. If one intends to build a deck that has turn-one accelerants, Green Sun's Zenith is a great choice. If one wants to more access to utility green creatures, Green Sun's Zenith is a great choice. If one wants to more reliably get a large green creature, such as a Primeval Titan, onto the battlefield, Green Sun's Zenith is a great choice. However, this ends up with fewer different decks being played in practice, as Green Sun's Zenith is such a good choice that there are fewer green decks that do anything else. The DCI hopes that banning Green Sun's Zenith increases diversity among Modern green decks.

That's lame, creature toolbox is a great archetype

Traverse the ulvenwald

>However, this ends up with fewer different decks being played in practice

This shows why WotC logic is so flawed. They said same kind of shit when splitner twin was banned, as if it was the reason why other decks can't compete. GSZ allows a lot of different builds since it's so versatile. You can use it variety of different decks in variety of different ways. It also allows for playing extra 4 copies of single card, so you can build around one card with it around. This is seen in legacy with enchantress with argothian enchantress and Nic Fit with veteran explorer.

It's at Sorcery speed & only hits green creatures ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

traverse puts the card into your HAND, not the battlefield.

you can have cards that search your library and put them into your hand, and you can have cards that put things onto the battlefield, combining them BOTH is a problem. There is a reason why Tinker is banned in legacy.

Just so you know, there's basically no difference between Green Sun and Traverse when you have delirium. The only real difference is with Dryad Arbor.

It's X+G to get an X cost creature or G to get any creature then pay X to cast it. Unless your opponent is running creature specific counter spells for some reason it doesn't really matter. Having to turn on deliruim is the main difference.

It's the same thing. You have to pay for the creatures with gsz as well

Delirium is so easy to turn on. Run Tarfire or something as a two of if it's an issue

>Run a bad card so that your other cards are better
No that's not really how good deckbuilding works.

It's a fifth bolt. It's not going to ruin the precious deck. Jund does it all the time with that or seal of fire. For quite some time we've been powering delirium+ for goyf

>go into multiple cards, colors and turns to mimic one of the weaker banned cards in modern

Well, it isn't issue as long as those 2 bad cards combined wins the game. But when you play 2 bad cards to play mediocre effect.... We have a problem.

Or can anyone say Splinter twin or Deceiver exarch is good alone?

Traverse gives your opponent info, though. If you have countermagic up and you see your opponent cast GSZ for 4, you don't know what it is until its too late, you have to counter it "blind". With traverse, you both see what creature it is, then as it is cast, the option is there to decide whether the creature is worth countering or not. GSZ doesn't give you that info.

Unban Green Sun's Zenith!!

It's not completely retarded idea as long as whole bunch of those cards are unbanned as well.

Literally what even?

Glad Zooicide has reached Tier 1.
I believe it strongly rivals Infect and in most cases comes out slightly ahead.

Tips? - Destroy me Veeky Forums

4 Path to Exile
4 Windbrisk Heights
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Bitterblossom
4 Raise the Alarm
3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
4 Spectral Procession
4 Lingering Souls
2 Zealous Persecution
4 Intangible Virtue
3 Promise of Bunrei
4 Godless Shrine
4 Marsh Flats
1 Isolated Chapel
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Thoughtseize
4 Plains
3 Swamp
4 Go for the Throat
SB: 2 Zealous Persecution
SB: 2 Rest in Peace
SB: 2 Pithing Needle
SB: 2 Stony Silence
SB: 2 Oblivion Ring
SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
SB: 2 Disenchant
SB: 1 Dismember
SB: 1 Day of Judgment

Always run 6 copies of Thoughtseize. And 4 Scullers.

Some suggestions are:
Kataki in the side for affinity
An Anguished Unmaking mainboard for planeswalkers
Get rid of Windbrisk Heights since your curve is so low
Throw in a Ghost Quarter, Vault of the Archangel, and a couple Isolated Chapels to make up for it

looks like a standards tokens deck. Tokens get a new card to play with in Westvale Abbey. Give it a try.

Get rid of Promise of Bunrei. Its not as good as you'd think. Drop a Sorin and add 2 Gideon or Elspeth, Knight-Errant. You don't really need more than 1 Swamp since the deck wants to have hand disruption T1 and Spectral T3 and that's very achievable with the fetches/shocks. Speaking of, you should run 4 Inquisition and please drop the Go for the Throats and add in a single of Murderous Cut and maybe a Smother or Dismember instead

Additionally Timely Reinforcements can be very good when you aren't beatdown

Would modern be more balanced if mox opal, tarmogoyf, snap caster mage, lightning bolt, thoughtsieze, and path to exile were replaced with cards like these?

Probably not. Also you worded thought steal like it was a replacement effect without the instead.

Hey Deck advice, modifying my deck and I'm trying to pick between some cards.

The deck is Golgari, big emphasis on Scavenge, every creature has scavenge except Corpsejack Menace.

Problem: i just got Vulturous Zombie 5 mana, 3/3 flying, and gets +1 when an opponent creature dies. benefits is it has flying and grows.

Im wondering wether i should put it in my deck instead of Deadbridge Goliath, 4 mana, 5/5 with scavenge for 6 mana.

Its only ever existed as a cheap blocker to die so i can scavenge him onto something with double counters, suicide bomber with good stats.

So which should i take?

Since I'm here might as well ask this

Increasing savagery 4mana, target creature gets 5 +1/+1 Counters, flashback for 7 mana and 10 +1/+1 Counters.

OR

Curse of Predation - Enchantment: Enchant player, whenever a creature attacks enchanted player put a +1/+1 counter on it.

1. is great for buffing a single creaure, especially if i have a corpsejack menace out, but only buffs a single creature and its easy to cast murder (safe from doom blade cause black/green creatures)

2. however this one has more long term investment, and buffs any number of creatures i make attack, but only +1/+1 per turn

Basic Lands or lands that come out tapped and give one of two mana Veeky Forums?

Go for shocks pain lands or fast lands

Which top tier deck has the easiest to build "budget" version that I can slowly upgrade towards.

And do I really need fetches to be truly competitive? Would I be fine at my LGS without them?

Why did you address me?

maybe someone else can help, honest, I'm of no use to you, i play casual as shit

Stoneforge and Deathrite.
Let me play Deathblade in Modern, Jitte is the most powerful card in the deck and it's still banned anyway.

I had $800 worth of points for 11 months without a single bite (wanted shocklands, fetches and lillys) until I accepted an MP german Scrubland.

Bolt is perfectly balanced and didn't need to be changed.

Delver is pretty easy to get started and to upgrade over time, so I'd say start there if you like that kind of deck.

The thing about fetch lands is that they make multi-color decks much less of a pain to build and they provide the essential mana fixing you'll need to make your deck a well-functioning machine. If you don't include fetches, you leave your mana available up to chance.

Personally would say goblin without guides, but red burn is probably not too bad either, which can be upgraded slowly to naya. And yes, in monocolor decks fetches are a must. Without them you are building inferior manabase so you might as well buy proper cards.

I honestly see Infect and Dredge being the decks to beat in the coming months.

Boardwipes are going to find their way into more sideboards. But dredge needs specific hate.

Yes there is

Traverse puts the creature into your hand,

Green sun's puts it directly onto the battlefield

Mono red burn is the most efficient for its budget.

I think he's somehow ignoring it's an instant.

What are you talking about?

>tfw I knew dredge was good like a month ago.
>told people at my lgs its broken and is gonna be tier 1 soon.
>They all make fun of me "lol if you want to waste your money sure"
>4-0 my last FNM
>tier list comes out
>"sweet deck user whats your list, do you have 3 extra grave trolls?"

I tried to warn them, but now its far too late.

Both are good. One is better for goyf, the other is useful for say, elves... or tooth and nail.

There's never a reason to run Traverse over GSZ.

I disagree on it being broken. Dredge still folds to same hate cards as ever, but the difference in modern compared to legacy is the fact DRS is not legal.... Which makes it's 1st game so much better. Soooooo..... Unban DRS hype and while you are at it, unban everything else that's not supposed to be there.

I too think jund should be the only playable deck in modern

Poe's law is strong in here.

Its me, just wanna try and get this looked at, anyone?

You've clearly never run temur delver

make a casual thread, this is modern general.

Dude fuck off.

>Dredge is now Tier 1
Day of the rope now?

>shock that lets your opponent draw a card.

Fuck off.

> in monocolor decks fetches are a must

I can see it being a case in mono red burn, but outside of it... What are you smoking mate?

unban dread return

Is it cheap?

I'm willing to give that guy the benefit of the doubt and assume autocorrect changed multi into mono. Or he could be an idiot that thinks the minuscule advantage of deck thinning and interactions with cards like mishra's bauble outweighs the life loss.

Fuck can't unsee. I even read it in his voice.

>Dredge is Tier 1
>Suicide Zoo is Tier 1

At Pro Tour Oath, the coverage team shit themselves an gushed over Suicide Zoo because it was something new and interesting that wasn't Eldrazi.

Can you imagine those fat cucks trying to talk about Dredge with sheer terror in their eyes? Just the raw fear of being knifed by Maro for mentioning Dredge on stream would be golden.

"And it's amazing, we have a brand new aggro deck to show off so players can turn creatures sideways in Fair: the Format! And it's based on.... uhh.... the Dredge mechanic....?"

>BBE cascading is too much value
>Unban DRS
Bruh.

build merfolk or elves instead. same strategy and price, but you'll do 10 times better
>Tokens get a new card to play with in Westvale Abbey
no...

>"And it's amazing, we have a brand new aggro deck to show off so players can turn creatures sideways

Much likely they would list "dredge" as a combo deck.

So what does Mardu need. I'm getting pretty good results online and within my playgroup. It's honestly not a bad deck with pretty decent match ups.

How the hell did this happen. Format is full of ridiculous synergy decks that fold by hate cards and somehow all those the most powerful hate cards are white. Kor firewalker, RiP, stony silence, Ethersworn canoni.... well something like it. So many cards that won't allow certain decks to play.

and its tier 1
just like esper

White is the only color that doesn't get anything good to do themselves, so they get to hose everything