Warhammer 40k General

Shenanigans edition

>Rules databases
mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

xd frist

xth for how does a presumably necron blade cut through psychic powers like a champ

Third for the Omnissiah

shut up frodo

What army are you interested in but hesitant to start?

Chaos Space Marines for me. I think I could make a pretty beautiful force but I have no interest in bringing it to the table.

Been feeling this way for six years or so.

Also the phase whatever makes it better at killing incorporeal wraiths. Does this mean it is, like, matching their phasing? Like, finding the "frequency" of the half step they took from reality?

The mind boggles.

So while painting I have started listed to the Horus Heresy Audio books and just finished Horus Rising. I am loving it so far, how long before it goes to shit?

same reason why bloodthristers can be killed by sticks and stones

Necrons built all of their tech specifically to fight an uber-psychic race and their slightly-less-psychic allies. Furthermore, anything made of Necrodermis is extremely resistant (though not impervious) to psychic fuckery.

You can kill them with blunt force, and even with psychic powers that use force of some kind, but it's EXTREMELY difficult to possess Necron stuff or corrupt it.

Doesn't change the fact that my Chaos Sorcerer uses a blasphemously corrupted Warscythe as a Force Staff, because unfeeling Necrons offend Slaanesh.

It's probably like those Ruststalker weapons, the ones that match atomic frequency to slice through armour

Eldar because I don't want to build another shelf for another army and I have enough stuff to paint right now anyway.
Imperial Guard because there's nothing in the army that I want to do except Kasrkin riding around in Chimeras and I already have 30 kasrkin and 1 chimera.
Besides on every case there are still modeling projects I want to do with my space marines. I just built my fifth goddamn Librarian and planned out my second techmarine and a conversion for a Predator executioner and a Land Raider Helios and a Chapter Master.

Nids.
I love the idea of an army of massive swarms supported by gigantic monsters, and the models look amazing in my opinion, and could allow form some really cool conversions and paintjobs. I'd esspecialy like to find a glow in the dark neon paint to use for stuff like highlights, as I think the idea of all the models various boney parts, spikes, veins, etc. glowing in the dark would look fucking awesome.

Only thing holding me back is building up my other more competitive armies (which are the ones I just love more frankly, for fluff reasons). That and finding a glow in the dark paint that can be used on warhammer models.

I still can't get over how damn good those look.

For real though, build and create an army that you like the look and feel of. Power level can vary hugely by edition (There was once a point in time where Tau sucked) so picking an army purely for its strength can backfire hard. For all we can hope and pray, CSM might get their new codex and be top tier next edition. They may get "updated" and be even worse than they currently are. Only time will tell, so trying to bank on the strength of the army on the table is kind of pointless.

Collect the miniatures of the Dark Gods, user. You know it to be best.

Yeah, but actual Necrons have nothing like it, the mighty and musculous spess mehreens clearly improved on their design.

>Yeah, but actual Necrons have nothing like it

It is said to be an extremely rare artifact, and Necrons are notorious for having all sorts of crazy shit hidden away among different dynasties.

third book is where it all goes completely to shit and the heresy officially begins.

None technically, although I've started Sisters and am hesitant to continue. Grabbed some cheap (for sisters) at a swap meet, but now am unsure if I can justify almost 100 bucks on 10 models.

It's subjective.

It's Sci-Fi writers. With a few exceptions, the quality of writing of the entire genre isn't exactly super-high to begin with.

It becomes a LOT more enjoyable when you enter into the series with this mindset.

This xenophase blade has an answer to goddamn everything.

Looking forward too it. I gotta say Captain Loken is pretty fucking cool.
I'll try to keep that mindset, I probably wont notice it much since i'm just listening to it and not reading it.

So rare the Deathwatch has various copies of it.

I find it funny that apparently the humans stole all the best swords from the Necrons.

So that's why they use scythes instead.

Also, where did you get audiobooks of the whole Horus Heresy series? Are they just flat readings, or straight up Audio Drama? GW has fucking spoiled me with their glorious audio dramas

I found them all on youtube. It's pretty much a straight up reading but at least the VA changes his voices per character. .

I have a couple newfag questions since googling isnt going so well for me on this. I'm trying to start with a Black Templars army. I've got the SM Tactical Squad box and the BT Chapter upgrade. From what I've been reading, a crusader squad needs a Sword Brother, does this mean I have to pick up the BT Sword Brethren Squad box now too?

When painting these guys, do their pauldrons need to match? I'm trying to save some shoulder pauldrons for some future squads if I can.

I've read through the SM codex, and I'm starting to feel like a made a huge mistake trying to jump into this game with BT.

>Do I need the Sword Brethren Squad

As long as you have a guy in there to be the Sword Brother it doesn't matter.

>I'm starting to feel like I made a huge mistake

It's okay user. If you really want to do it, do it. At worst, you can get a few hundred points of BT and use them for Kill Team games or as allies.

Hey Veeky Forums
What would you say a good points goal is for an army? I want to know when I can let myself say that I have enough my Skitarii so I can label them done and move on to a new project.

1k is a good benchmark, for skitarii maybe the full range

Unbound Deathwatch/Space Marines/Imperial Guard/Assassins oh god help me what am I doing

+++Strategium Command Team=465

Watch Captain-115
2 hand flamers
(Furor Kill team)
5 Veterans-110
2 shotguns, one power sword, 5 additional boltguns that replace the pissy little combat knives that prevent me from having bolt pistols
3 terminators-160
assault cannon, auxiliary meltagun, thunder hammer/storm shield
Vanguard veterans-80
2 vets, inferno pistols

+++Imperial Guard Tempestus Kasrkin=950

10 Kasrkin with 2 flamers, power sword, chimera-230
10 Kasrkin with 2 melta guns, power sword, chimera-240
10 Kasrkin with 2 grenade launchers, chimera-215

3 Armored sentinels with plasma cannons, smoke launchers-165
2 armored sentinels with lascannons-100

+++Assassins=275
Culexus Assassin-140
Eversor Assassin-135

+++Space Marines=295

Scout squad-95
Land speeder storm

Tactical squad-200
combi-plasma, plasma gun, The Imperial Space Marine, Rhino

Hi I'm user and welcome to jackass.

Thoughts on sticking a libraries conclave in a rhino and giving them all psychic shriek.

>Move 12"
>Pop off 3-5 shrieks
>180 degree turn and flat out 12" back

Grey Knights
Deldar

I just want an army with some fucking plastic. I've been looking at the same 3 Sisters of Battle for 12 fucking years.

I used to use Grey Knights with my sisters a long time ago, but sold them when 5th C:GK landed. I like the look of them over other flavored Marines, and I especially like the old metal models. I just HATE the baby carrier, which is their best unit.

I love the almost the entire dark eldar line. They have cool fliers, awesome bikes, superb jump infantry (a favorite of mine), and play hard and fast. The problem is that everyone I've talked to has pretty much shit on them. "Take 200 points and ally eldar xD" "don't bother play corsairs xD"

People pretty much say the same. For both armies. It's depressing as hell hearing that both the armies I'm moderately interested in are dog shit.

I still have the original version of this where the sprue head was crudely put on. Those were great days.

Marines

I can never decide what chapter I want to commit to, but with the release of Deathwatch, I might just pick them.

It's either that or Minotaurs, because fuck every Space Marine that isn't mine.

Asterion Moloc for best chapter master
> ARMYWIDE: Prefered Enemy (Space Marines)
> Absolute fucking combat monster
> Literally carrying a custodian's plasma halberd.

silly khorne, you can't use the same psychic power more then once in a squad

You know what? Fuck it.
Asterion Moloc Best Chapter Master.

Besides, I already painted my entire fucking Inquisition army in bronze and red.

Is there any way to play 40K on a budget, like papercrafting units and such?

1. Why unbound? You could do all of that, better, without going unbound.

2. Kasrkin don't exist anymore. Download the Militarum Tempestus PDF from the OP. Run a double-HQ CAD and stack up both Command Squads with melta or plasma. Please don't give any WS/S/I 3 models any melee weapons. Bad idea.

3. There's a formation for Sentinels.

4. What are the Marines even doing? Why even take a LSS for the scouts?

5. Your Deathwatch loadouts are schizophrenic and I can't determine what you're doing with them.

Just use them normally for each librarian.

How good are Tempestus Scions?

I'm considering getting the Start Collecting (because the models are fantastic) Is it worth it, of for only a small ally force, or are they just total trash? Is there anything they're good at

If they stay in the Rhino they have to all be in the same squad.

Yeah, saving up and going at it slowly. Those start collecting boxes would have been fantastic when I started. Just put away a little here and there and you can get a unit every now and then.

There is papercraft I think, though I'm not sure where to go to find the templates.

>Play necrons
>Go on ebay
>Buy used warrior squads up the wazzoo

They're completely trash as your main detachment, and they also suck at their main job of being "marine hunters". It turns out that High AP also kinda needs high strength to work well, and S3 AP3 weapons are the epitome of that example.

Don't worry, every interesting army is dog shit. If you want to compete you can play codex Marines, Tau or Eldar. If you want to sort of compete then you can play Necrons, Daemons, fuckhueg robots or this one specific Admech formation. Everything else is garbage so you might as well just pick what you like and avoid the people who play the "good" armies.

I've heard renegades and corsairs can be good too, but GW doesn't exactly acknowledge their existence.

I'm in the same boat regarding Deldar, but I just said fuck it and went in balls deep. They certainly aren't the best (even worse with the jink FAQ), but I honestly have more fun with them than the other armies I've tried (IG, marines, necrons). They have so many options and playstyles there's always something you could have done to win a game. Also, the new haemonc supplement really gave us some power, so you can lean hard into that if you're focused on winning.

Otherwise, just play with the old Capturing Prisoners rules and keep count to yourself. It actually gives you an excuse to use melee models and assault.

They're decent at what they do. If you want BS 4 + deepstriking + suicidal tendencies + melta/plasma guns, they're your dudes.

Don't try to take them as anything else, though. It won't end well.

Harlequins/Eldar. I like their aesthetics and play style, but I'm an awful painter. I've got a set of Death Masque sprues sitting by my desk, but I'm not sure if I want to go for it.

The mobility and shootiness will make a noce hange from my CSM and Daemons, but those fucking paint schemes. I don't want to butcher those beautiful models.

kasrkin=tempstus

I don't even know where to start really. I had one list thrown together that was basically 2 starter boxes and some scourges, but it doesn't seem super playable. Idk I'm glad they're fun at least.

That does seem to be the case, doesn't it? Maybe I'll just pull the trigger and go with something, though I think I might have to buy a few more sisters first to round off a few units. Ugh.

I still have a bunch of demons from 5th. I used to run 1000pts of Tzeentch when I wanted to fuck around, and I had a blast. I can't do that now because of the new Codex, and its frankly pretty sad.

Well, just call them that then.

Kasrkin=tempestus scions
the Marines are supposed to roll up alongside them
The deathwatch deepstrike and shoot out troops although the melta is to pop a transport if need be and the hammer is there to look cool
I don't care about the FoC, I care more about what models I want to field, in this case a flood of spec-ops models with a lack of anti-tank that just occured to me

>46 out of 3 suspects killed

Well then try for beams, Novas and other witchfires you don't roll to hit with.

I'm not going to try very hard to defend scions, but with orders (particularly the Preferred Enemy one), hotshot lasguns are barely worse than S4 AP3 at killing marines.

Pic related is the chance of one scion wounding a marine with the possible options.

My point is that the Marines aren't going to help you out at all. They've got nothing but their bodies, and those aren't that good.

I've offered everything I see wrong with the list at this point.

Fun fact, Hotshot volley guns are S4 AP 3.

thank you

Orks. Shit on the table and I would have to throw a bunch of money on them to get the points I want, but I do like them.

Also have an interest in Nids, necrons and space wolves, but I'm also poor.

i find that most of my witchfire attempts aren't worth while, psychic shriek withstanding.

>Eldar player with 15 snipers refuses to play with the T1 night fighting rules
>ever
>mfw

And also apparently Salvo 2/4. So with orders, a single volly gun standing still is almost guaranteed to kill a marine (90.7%).

A bit expensive for a marine hunter (12+10 pts), but with a few of them, you can delete marine squads fairly easily.

I still prefer plasma spam + Kurav's Aquila from the IG codex, or plasma + PE in general.

The Command Squads can be quite good at holding backfield objectives like that. 16 volleygun shots, 12-14 hitting, 6-7 dead Marines in one round.

Plop four of them in a Command Squad and they're actually pretty mean MEQ killers.

Bit pricey, but when they work they work well.

>Volley gun is better than twin-linked volley gun
WHOOPS! Forget to adjust for the multiple shots of salvo.

These guns are remarkably better than I thought.

>refuses
if one player wants it, its happening

He bitches too much as it is.

While I'm still here pushing numbers around, I find it a bit funny that a marine firing a bolter against a scion (T3, 4+) has the same chance of wounding him as a hotshot lasgun has of wounding that marine without orders.

In a strict scion versus marine fight, scions are cheaper and more effective (with orders). I suppose that really does make them good marine hunters.

Any Necron players up?
This is my first army and started with the Start Collecting formation and was able to pick up two ghost marks and two annihilation barges for only $75.
Anyway I have rounded off my 1000pts list with ten more warriors and a box of lychguard which I gave swords and shields.

Here is my list:

HQ

Overlord (135pts)
>The Nightmare Shroud, Warscythe

Elites

Lychguard (150pts)
>5x Hyperphase Sword & Dispersion Shield

Troops

2x10 Warriors (235pts)
>Ghost Ark, 10x Necron Warrior

Heavy Support

2x Annihilation Barge (120pts each)
>Gauss Cannon

995/1000

My friends plays Imperial Fists, Blood Angels, Imperial Guard and Khorne Daemonkins.

If one of us wants it and the other doesn't at my shop we roll off for it. To be honest it is usually forgotten about by myself and purposefully by my opponent because I reroll jink saves

I'm thinking a out starting Deldar and figured I could use all the help I could get. Then, I remembered him sperging about how stupid night fighting is.

>If one of us wants it and the other doesn't at my shop we roll off for it.
That's... That's how it's supposed to work. And then special rules can modify the roll.

It looks pretty good, although as always Necrons face a tough time against dedicated melee armies, so BA and KDK are going to be a little tough for you, although not unbeatable by any means.

Two annihilation barges might not make up their cost on the battlefield, but they'll be fun to play with and if that was your goal then make no changes. You warriors in GArks are also going to be nigh unkillable so have fun watching your opponent die of frustration from your ever-marching silver tide.

I would recommend buying some tomb blades for the Reclamation Legion formation which gives them some move through cover, relentless, and a reroll to 1s on their Reanimation. You can turn that into a Decurion with some other stuff for a 4+ reanimate but that's seen as really cheesy amongst a lot of players.

You could also get some wraiths if you want a monster of a CC unit but be prepared to get some angry looks as they tend to not die and sweep house.

How should I Skitarii?
I'm planning on buying the Start Collecting box, right now I have a unit of Infiltrators with Taser Goads and Flechette Blasters, and a unit of 10 Rangers that I plan on giving 2 Arquebuses (Right now it has one and a Plasma Cavalier, but once I get the Start Collecting box, I'm gonna make the infantry in it as Vanguards and swap around the special weapons.)

Where should I go from here to get 1250 points?

That's what I thought but the person I responded to said if one person wanted it, it happens.

Dunecrawlers, more Infiltrators, Dragoons and Ironstriders.

I got them because they were in the lot with the ghost arks so I am putting them to use.
I was thinking about using my triarch stalker and some Praetorians to use in formation. It would bring me close to 1500 and then I could fit in some tomb blades or scarabs.

Oh and should I swap a annihilation barge for my triarch stalker. It can't be upgraded but would put me at 1000pts even.

I regret starting Imperial Guard and now wish I bought the Skitarii box instead.

Oh well! I'm not going to give up on the Start Collecting box, so might as well finish it.

Find a guard player who wants the tank and troops to get something out of it. Sell the lot for some bit under the Start Collecting price and pick up the Start Collecting skittle once or twice.

Eh, I bought paints and everything, so I might as well finish and paint them. Besides, there's no LGS or GW within 90 miles of me, I just decided to start up an army because I could. I just post army lists on here sometimes for fun. Been thinking of picking up either 30k Iron Warriors or Mechanicum. Thanatars and Thallax look so cool.

At 1000 points shouldn't the take some Immortals?

Why is the Harlequin codex so restrictive in terms of army comp?

Do you think people would mind playing against a Masque detachment with only two troop choices? Looking something like two Troupes in Skyweavers, a squad of Skyweavers, a Void Weaver, and a character or two for 750.

What's the optimal load-out for a Troupe? Looking at 2-3 Caresses.

Oh shit yeah I didn't see he didn't have any immortals.

Yeah, I usually take a 5 man squad of immortals. They're pretty good objective sitters and pack some heavy firepower for taking out marines and anything else t4 or so

can scions + inquisition work while using tempestor command squads as non-suicide units?

As a force on its own? Ehhhhh... Maybe? You can get some nice mid-high strength shooting from Psybolt Ammunition vehicles and the Inquisitors can bring decent blobs of S4 shots.

If I were to do it, I'd probably take two Scion CADs with 4 Command Squads and 4 troops. Take two HSVG CSes, one Plasma, one Melta. The troops can take two special weapons each, I'd reccomend melta for AT since they won't roast their fingers.

Then I'd have 4 Inquisition detachments (if you aren't playing ITC). Take Coteaz. Fill the other 3 Inquisitors with whatever gimmicks you want. Take 9 servo skulls (3 per Inquisitor).

Fill out any space you have left with Razorbacks + Chimeras + Bolter Acolytes + 1 Psyker per squad. Jokaero can be fun too but they're still just BS 3. I'd avoid the melee units unless you want to just go balls deep.

If you do want to go balls-deep-melee, kit out one or two of the Inquisitors with some melee stuff, get a Land Raider Redeemer, get psybolt + psyflame ammo, take maybe 2-4 Crusaders, and the rest Death Cult Assassins. Jump out, wreck someone's face, and then probably die.

Whats the best 40k audio-drama?

I was thinking the new Start Collecting! Scion detachment which lets the troop squads respawn

I'd be playing casual, very low point levels (probably starting with combat patrol and slowly building up to 1500)

I really like the one about the dreadnaut

so looking through the deathwatch pages and finding that the Beacon Angelis relic doesn't have the "must be on the table for a turn" restriction. suddenly my grey knights seem a lot more interesting when I can use a single drop pod delivered guy to make my deep strikes less shit.

They're one of those basically-a-supplement codexes, like Scions. Unfortunately I don't have any good advice since I play the other two Eldar, but you could try allying them to CWE or DE. I seriously doubt anyone would care if you used converted Harlequins as counts as other elves.

That's not very helpful though and from what I hear you can run them on their own at least casually. Try to find adedicated forum for them, I don't think we have many Harlequin guys here but maybe I'm wrong.

For higher point values, my bro has a bunch of pre-update Dark Eldar models that I can supplement with, although I do want to get some buddies for Eldrad eventually.

so what are the thoughts on the upcoming watch master from the deathwatch codex, crunch-wise?

Ap2 at I4 is interesting, not sure if that and the block effect justify the cost

How do I build mech/tank IG at 1,500+? Its the biggest I've gotten to and I usually play 300-1000 points with only a CAD. This is all I can think of, only unused models are a Manticore and some extra infantry. Didn't bring AA since my group doesn't feel like buying/using flyers, everyone likes to play on cover heavy tables.

>1500 IG
CCS [Chimera] w/ 2 Meltaguns (145)
Veterans [Chimera] w/ 2 Meltaguns (145)
Veterans [Chimera] w/ 2 Meltaguns (145)
Wyvern w/ Camo Nets (80)
Wyvern w/ Camo Nets (80)

>Armored Company
TC - Exterminator w/ Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Camo Nets (190)
Exterminator w/ Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Camo Nets (160)
Vanquisher w/ Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Camo Nets (165)
Vanquisher w/ Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Camo Nets (165)
Executioner w/ Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Camo Nets (185)
Enginseer (40)

That's a lot of points invested in Camo Nets.

Not him, but as another guard player, cameo nets and moderate cover or an aegis line make a hell of a difference

>my opponent's face when my Solitaire cartwheels 30" across the table to punch a Knight to death on turn 6
This army is so much fun. Too bad everything dies if I can't get into assault turn 2.

I you're going to use that many camo nets why not invest in an aegis defence line? That way the camo'd units receive guaranteed 3+ saves. (recommend executioner and the two wyverns stay camo'd as they're the biggest fire magnets)

My recent games have had at least 1/3rd of the table in ruins/4+ cover and enough objects to obscure vehicles sprinkled elsewhere. I want to see how durable my tanks get with 3+ and their rear glued to a wall or off table.

Cover abuse is going to end when my friend who recently got into 40k builds up his Tau army to be more than just a kill team. I might gift him something to speed up my group's demise anyway.

Oh, in that case, consider switching the CCS to 4 flamers to discourage deepstrikers in your backline, and gives the techpriest somewhere to hide inside their chimera so he doesn't get sniped.

How are the russes squadroned? Ext + Ext; Vanq + Vanq; Exec?

Vanquishers probably won't do much, but with lascannons as well they will keep your opponents vehicles scared.