How do I find people to play DnD with, Veeky Forums...

How do I find people to play DnD with, Veeky Forums? I know about roll20 and shit but I have nearly no experience with role playing and I'm worried that no one will take me in. A few of my friends kinda wanna play but they keep putting it off every time I bring it up. i have the 3 core books, PHB, DMG, and MM. I have a local game store near me, I guess I could check there? How can I find a group that will accept noobs, Veeky Forums?

> playing D&D

There's your first mistake. OP, what you want is Dungeon World.

It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

SHOO SHOO SHILL GOBLIN

Shoo shoo, shill goblin!

Well, I'd suggest talking to your LGS owner, and see about maybe advertising a game for beginners once a week. My FLGS store does it(we actually just finished three hours ago), and it currently has three groups of 6+ players each week (with a mix of new and old players coming in at random times), Whilst another just on the other side of town asked me to teach 5e at their store. And if all else fails, you can always try work colleagues, and other people you know.

> playing D&D

There's your first mistake. OP, what you want is GURPS.

It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. GURPS is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

.... GURPS has the worst character creation for beginners I have ever seen.

> playing D&D

There's your first mistake. OP, what you want is FATAL.

It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. GURPS is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

You know, as much as Apocalypse World and Dungeon World are fun and the tag system pretty interesting, its rule system is just too loose and way too dependent on the player's conception of what a fantasy dungeon crawler should be rather than providing the mechanical (admittedly often poorly) simulation of a given pseudo-historical artifact as a springboard for the player's imaginations.

The entire point of rules is to arbitrate for situations that the players either do not or cannot conceive, and that's exactly where rules-lite systems fail. They don't provide sufficient breadth or depth to adjudicate for discrepancies between a single player's imagination and the collective setting everyone at the table is building.

tl;dr: fuck off, DnD 3.x is fine. In fact, it was a travesty when 3.5 removed the section of the 3.0 DMG regarding character class NPC percentile population in any given town or village.

half the people on roll20 brag about having 10+ years of experience but end up knowing nothing.

just avoid the furries,bronies,and weebs.you will be fine.

> playing D&D

There's your first mistake. OP, what you want is FATAL.

(Unlike the other shillposts I feel I have to put a warning here: extreme lying taking place)

> playing D&D

There's your first mistake. OP, what you want is a bullet to the roof of your mouth.

Tabletop is a terrible hobby.

You could not be more transparent, don't play Dungeon World OP, look up a a few systems you like and find one that you like the look of.

>Pic is the guy who made Dungeon World and spent most of the Kickstarter money to pay people to hype the game on the internet.

I love you

That sounds like a good idea, but I already have these fucking books laying around and I already know all the rules and shit. I want my investment to pay off.

Local game store

People aren't going to shit on you because you are new to the game.

If they do then they are fucking assholes who make your job easier (i.e. don't play with them)

Check the local game store. iirc Wizards has been pushing a lot of events and stuff for their game so they should have a schedule of stuff and D&D might be on there.

They might also have a bulletin board and/or another means of "yeah these people play here" or "yeah some people were interested in playing"

Then begin making connections, either online through Skype, Discord and roll20 or in person at your FLGS. You will find retards and fuckwits outnumber the good guys, but you keep a hand on the guys you enjoy talking with and when you find a game you pull them on to the boat and sail to adventure through a sea of retarded, sexually-repressed manbabies.

> playing newfangled D&D editions

There's your first mistake. OP, what you want is an OSR retroclone.

OSR is pretty much objectively the best format out there. It has simplified mechanics, and most retroclones are free to download and print. OSR is how D&D was meant to be played, without WotC's special snowflake demihuman characters and unrestricted multiclassing bullshit.

Shit, posted without renewing page and didn't see the earlier comment. Sorry user, but at least we both forgot to change the second [specific game here] reference

>trusting companies to make games fun

There's your first mistake. OP, what you want is a homebrew.

Homebrew is pretty much objectively the best format out there. It has whatever mechanics you want, and the only cost are paper and pencil. Homebrew is how tabletop is meant to be played, without Wizards telling you how to have fun.

>trusting yourself to make games fun

There's your first mistake. OP, what you want is a nothing.

Nothing is pretty much objectively the best format out there. It has whatever mechanics you want, and the only cost is nothing. Nothing is how tabletop is meant to be played, without Wizards telling you how to have fun.

> playing a game

There's your first mistake. OP, what you want is freeform RP.

It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has no mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars because it's free. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters, because there are no rules. Freeform is fast and as innovative as you are and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

>roleplaying

There's your first mistake. Op, what you want is real life adventure.

It's pretty much objectively the best format out there. It has no mechanics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot more fun than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars because it's real. There is no reason for extra rules when it is survival that matters, because there are no rules. IRL is fast and as innovative as you are and still feels exactly like the spirit of danger before board games destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of heroes .

why throw dice around at a table when you could die unsung and nameless via stray arrow/infection?

Also here on Veeky Forums we have gamefinder threads.

>posting on Veeky Forums

There's your first mistake, OP. What you want is >>>/reddit

It's pretty much objectively the most appropriate sites for users such as you.

seeing as the rest of the thread is trolling your socks off...
Online game: just ask, roll20 even has an indicator for noob friendly games. just need some courage and your good to go.

locally: dont smell like a wet badger, ask the local store owner, he can probably direct you to some basement dweller who aranges things.

I've played it, and it wasn't great. The rules felt vague, and it was frustrating in that it required a lot of 'fill in the blank' moments of storytelling. It's a game you can really only enjoy if the entire group is on the same page and prefers a vague - not just lite - ruleset and a lot of storytelling and roleplaying.

Finally a decent reply. Thanks man.

If you get the gist of the rules you'll be accepted anywhere. People tend to hype up the roleplaying angle, but you'll find that groups that actually roleplay on regular basis are few and far between so don't let lack of experience get you down. It's like sex - your fist time is always messy and short, and you learn from it.

>local game store

nigga, just go there. being awkward early on is perfectly normal. you will never know the pain of living in the middle of nowhere and having to rely on online services for this shit because that's literally your only option.

I second Discord
Since it's a community of people, fuckwits can't keep being fuckwits because they will get banned.

Damn I know that pain. Nearest gamestore from me is at least an hour drive - no way am I going that far just for a maybe.

Don't play D&D, that's a starter

>Here, replace subpar game with utter shit
Kill yourself

Ever heard about GURPS Lite? Or actually making character you need, not just some convoluted mess of advantages and strange skills?

Then sell the books. There is a lot of gullible morons that will take it for inflated price

>real life adventure

There's your first mistake. OP, what you want is to upload your consciousness into a virtual reality indistinguishable from this world.

It's pretty much objectively the best format out there. It has no mechanics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot more fun than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars because it's as real as your experiences of reality anyway. There is no reason for extra rules when literally everything is a subjective experience. Indistinguishable virtual reality is fast and as innovative as you are and still feels exactly like the real world before mankind's hubris destroyed the planet and ruined everything.

why throw dice around at a table when you could live in paradise for a five minute stretch that feels like an eternity before slipping comfortably into the void having experiencede everything you want to within your own mind?

/v/ plz go

D&D is by far the best introduction and default gateway drug, so to speak, because you know that's what the majority of players will be playing. Where you go from there is up to you and your preferences.

>tl;dr: fuck off, DnD 3.x is fine. In fact, it was a travesty when 3.5 removed the section of the 3.0 DMG regarding character class NPC percentile population in any given town or village.

I bought it, right up until here.

bravo!

D&D 3.x is fine dude, don't be a troll.

Build me a dwarf sorceress using GURPS Lite, gurpsfag, and then we'll talk.

Except FATAL is not even a complete game, whereas Dungeon World is, and it is fantastic.

See:

>cups full of liquid so close to the mat

FUCK THIS TRIGGERS ME

> find persons look for new people
> tell them you're new to D&D, but interested in playing

> tell friends you'll DM
> set up date weeks in advance
> maybe set up day in between to help people with character generation if they want to colab

> make a fucking flyer

Srsly, go outside and talk to people every once in a while.

There is little fine about 3.5. It's bloated, clunky, and breaks if you apply even a minuscule amount of scrutiny to principally any mechanic outside of skill checks; in verisimilitude or meta.