Magical Western!

So me and a friend were watching 3:10 to yuma and were like hey lets play a western game! And i was thinking of running a modified shadowrun game were the magic had come back and now its a wild dash to secure the outlands and its untold resources. With a magitech feel replacing the cyber feel.

Im up for any suggestions system wise and yes we have already tried white wolf western. But mostly im here to think aloud and trade ideas and western pics. Whos ready for some revolvers!

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Wild_Cards
google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwibpfeM4rnOAhVIlxQKHZUdCTEQFggdMAA&url=http://www.fractal-cortex.net/rpg/RIFTS/Rifts%20BOOKS/World%20Books/Rifts%20-%20World%20Book%2014%20-%20New%20West.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGwjWHPd02pq0aE8c4OMIakiWtNgw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So i would replace computers and tech with say chainmail a la fullmetal alch and tunes and crystals in place of computers.

The gun list would need to be poured over and such say everything is handcrafted so clips cost more and full auto and such would be way more restricted.

Though i dont know what to replace the deckers pad with. Drawing a blank

Blah runes not tunes

If you can swing it, try Deadlands. While the crunch of the generating stats is a bit clunky it really does fit in with the Western theme with chips, poker cards and all that.

Just looked it up on a glance. Which set of books are the ones i would need to read. And perchance a download link?

Pew pew

did someone say magic revolvers!?!

Savage Worlds: Deadlands is pretty dope.

I think it might use the core book but iirc they have all the useful stuff for free so you should be fine.

Modified Shadowrun is also EXTREMELY perfect for this. Tho I would suggest one thing from Deadlands that is really dope and that's the fact that casters use playing cards and their spells are fluffed as playing a hand of poker against the Devil.

Ill have to take a look at deadlands but i really like the shadowrun system. But hey if its better its better. Also im finding a real lack of western in my folders. Jees didnt notice that before.

But yea riding up to the train on motor cycles, horses and model t kinda cars with spells and bullets in the air. At the behest of one corp trying to delay another one setting up shop at the latest mining hub. Hell yeas

Glad to help.

Train heists are horribly underused in modern culture.

>But yea riding up to the train on motor cycles,

Y'all know TG made something like this right?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Wild_Cards

Shit was fucking dope.

Use Castle Falkenstein's supplement "six gums & Sorcery". Great stuff.

As a lifelong fan of westerns, you make me want to throw up.

OP, have you played Grim Dawn?

Weird West has been a thing for longer than you've been alive.

Well maybe his analogy is apt.

He might be 16 or something so it would make sense if his "lifelong" experience led him to this conclusion.

It is worrisome to see him be such a shithead about his opinion though and seem to treat is as some kind of objective truth.

Through the Breach would work well I think.

Honestly i dont let people being assholes bother me and im just spitballing ideas before i sit down and get to laying down groundwork. Although he is almost forgivable as a human being just for that picture alone.

But i think im gonna make the data pad replaced with some sort of aura gloves that serve the same purpose for magitech throw in some fancy glowing in the air interaction runes should be the same. With crystels and runes and say aome special metals taking the place of implants and junk. With the mystic auras interacting to give the linked in effects but leaving you open to a aura person fucking with your shit.

With the idea that maybe the generation before had their resurgence but only recently the badlands\wastelands had people discovering those useless ores and crystals are suddenly gold mines of magical resources now that the magical tap is flowing again. Creating this western style mad dash.

Though im thinking maybe blimps are available but super class and motorcycles of the early variety along side junker model T- ish cars for transport. Its all hand made so if you want one its gonna be alot of maintenance for that luxury of a perk in the west. Horses would be more viable for the average joe and runner who would rather outfit better gear

Any input so far?

GURPS

Just FYI if you want something closer to the depth of Shadowrun check out classic Deadlands. My group started out with classic because our DM is old school, but we thought we'd check out the Savage Worlds version since classic does suffer a bit from being an older system. Unfortunately most of our characters, let alone the style of campaign we've been playing, just don't work because Savage Worlds as a system focuses pretty hardcore on the miniatures combat aspect of it. The mad scientist was hit hardest by converting because it represents them by just fluffing out a preset list of powers, which meant almost none of her gadgets really worked anymore.

I'm doing it more as to try and get people to chill the fuck out in Veeky Forums and not have to be all "your opinion is shit." That's a /v/ Veeky Forums "meme" I think 80% of the time they only say it's a meme when they get called on their bullshit and it's cool in Veeky Forums when stuff is literally presented in a comedic and over-the-top way.

Not gonna lie, I feel it would be a lot smoother to just ignore all the technology stuff and save that for the crazy coots.

I'm a fan of a Weird West that is still like the normal west but with some WEIRD shit. I feel it would also help the setting stand out a bit more for everybody playing so it feels more like a different deal than Shadowrun.

I dig the vehicle stuff though, a strong theme in westerns is the technology clash.

There are a couple of magical western settings for Fate, if that's your bag. Frontier Spirit is one and Wild Blue is another. They're a little more mystical than it sounds like you want, though-- more gods and spirits than magitech.

For flavor, check out The Burrowers.

>not posting the best magic gun simply because it aint no revolver

plebs, it's got spinny bits, totally counts

This. It's almost as old as the Western genre itself.

Rifts New West, dude.

google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwibpfeM4rnOAhVIlxQKHZUdCTEQFggdMAA&url=http://www.fractal-cortex.net/rpg/RIFTS/Rifts%20BOOKS/World%20Books/Rifts%20-%20World%20Book%2014%20-%20New%20West.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGwjWHPd02pq0aE8c4OMIakiWtNgw