Dungeon Meshi

How do zombies in d20 or standard D&D settings work? Are they just animating the body with negative energy, or can you also tie a soul to the zombie body to mimic a resurrected humanoid?

In Ghostwalk you have to preserve the body for resurrection from the Ghost class or to be thrown into the afterlife, but do any other games deal with the afterlife as anything other than
>It's another plane where you go when you die?

here's a courtesy/pity bump
>Sister is resurrected (hopefully without any downsides/consequences)
>Cutie Elf was a budding necromancer all along(?)
>two month wait for next chapter

Not sure if D&D goes too much into it. Last I heard it was negative energy though I think 5e got rid of that but I don't know.

At the end of the day it's about what you find the best for the story you want to tell.

Dump it fag.

Only the Korean translation is out so far. Fortunately a Koreabro translated in in the above thread. It'll have to do for now.

Gonna repost the more interesting bit of the translation:
The toe bone connected to the heel bone,
The heel bone connected to the foot bone,
The foot bone connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone connected to the back bone,
The back bone connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone connected to the head bone,
Oh, hear the word of the Lord!

Dem bones, dem bones gonna walk aroun'
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk aroun'
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk aroun'
Oh, hear the word of the Lord.

The head bone connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone connected to the back bone,
The back bone connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone connected to the foot bone,
The foot bone connected to the heel bone,
The heel bone connected to the toe bone,
Oh, hear the word of the Lord!

1 Serving of imouto
2 Servings of wargs

Ate we supposed to read anything from the fact she's leaking blood all over?

Generally in D&D the undead are mindless vessels of negative energy. When you get monster ghosts and spectres, they are supposed to be corrupted souls made of negative energy. But then you also have noon evil ghosts so I don't know.

Not really, she was just assembled out of dragon flesh, so there's probably leftovers here and there.

Nice chapter, thanks for the link
big change in character for marcille, holy shit

to be fair that's from Marcille using ALL the dragon blood to make her flesh.

Also undead being "mindless" or not varies - negative energy tends to "power" undead in some settings, and most quick "raise undead" spells don't grant undead conciousness, but spirits can return to their corpses and power their bodies with negative energy.

You can also raise specifically concious undead or grant conciousness to pre-existing undead.

Question. How do I pronounce Meshi? Is it Mesh-ee, Meeshee? Meesh-eye?

>How do zombies in d20 or standard D&D settings work?
The simple zombie is a corpse that has been reanimated by negative energy, the specifics of this left vague. This has certain consequences. Though mindless, they cannot think or plan, they still have a semblance of thought much like the spider or centipede that preys upon other insects. What this means is that a zombie left unattended and not under control by a necromancer will seek out whatever life is near and kill it. This provides no nourishment and is in fact a useless and evil activity.

My personal theory backed up by circumstantial evidence within the bestiaries and spells is that there are three parts to a person: the body, the soul, and the animus. When raising zombies or skeletons, the negative energy corrupts the animus providing a new power source for it to move the body with. When creating a shade or spectre, you are cutting the animus off the body and infusing it with negative energy. Ghosts are souls trapped upon the ethereal plane that haven't gone on to the afterlife. Vampires are people with a corrupted animus and a dead body with their souls still attached.

Liches are an amazingly complex fuckaround with this system. They siphon off their soul into a vessel through magic, then project it back into their now desiccated and reanimated corpse and ride it around like a demon possessing a body. The magic will create new dead bodies for them to ride around if their previous one is destroyed.

Is it wrong to think of skeletons and zombies as a type of golem?

Flesh golems are basically Frankenstein's monster.

The idea of comparing them to masterless golems isn't a new one though (hell they used to have masters using the old haitian zombie model). World War Z made the straight comparison between the two. However, in order to be a golem I figure there has to be a mindless unstoppable creation with one of two things, 1. a master of some sort, or 2. a clearly defined mission (protect this or kill anyone who does that).

Zombies don't necessarily have to meet those requirements at all, so I wouldn't consider them a golem.

for d&d specifically the difference seems to be that an undead usig an existing corpse (or what's left of it) whereas golems are built, even if their built out of dead parts. a flesh golem differes from a zombie in that the flesho lem
is a body made of whatever body parts, but the zombie is just one body. same for skeleton vs bone golem. this isn't always upheld when you get into especially exotic undead, but it seems to be the general rule.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SHIT. FUCK. FUUUUCK.

yeah 5e uses necrotic damage type and radiant damage type a la 4e. It means that unless its a very rare type of undead, most are just resistant to it. It doesnt heal them.

I think its supposed to represent decay and heat death. Not inherently evil but associated with a lot of nasty stuff.

Given their nature, its impossible to 'ressurrect' most outsiders given most dnd lore, but would it be possible to recreate them using the lost energy of their spirits? Like an elemental ghost?

Cool image I like it

It opens up an interesting idea for the creation of "empathetic zombies" using empathetic magic. Matching like to like using more or less scientific techniques, sort of like the "Wise Mans Fears"

I have a dead body, how to forge a link with its spirit, and combine the two? Something the person was inordinately attached to, an object or person to use in the ritual and control them perhaps.

Perhaps that is how resurrection works, and people thusly ressurected dont realize they are just quite well put together zombies until the cleric dies and stops casting 'preserve corpse' and he stops eating and begins to rot and the realization of what happened years ago click and the 'zombies' brain snaps under the strain of his world crashing down and that is how you get mindless rotting zombies?

Hakumei to Mikochi chapter 3 for that.

What's that like?

Comfy in a Golden Sky Stories sort of way.

Cool; I need some iyashi fantasy mango in my life.

By "What's that like" I also meant, "what's the premise?"

Sorry if I wasn't explicit enough

Slice of life with tiny people and talking animals.

it kinda depends on the specific outsider, elemntals are largely implied to have no physical form, they're basically only a spirit that posesses and empowers matter (or energy, i guess in the case of fire elementals) composed of their specific element. in some versions of d&d golems are explicitly powered by elementals tethered to the construct body.

Mesh-ee

/me.ɕi/

so yeah, roughly "me-shee"

Depends on the setting's fluff for how golems work.

It's more like lots of elemental spirits that happen to coagulate around some matter. And fire isn't just energy but an actual element in D&D worlds. Within the Plane of Fire there is solid fire, fire that flows like water, and all kinds of weird shit. Golems are infused with elemental spirits which can cause them to go berserk as the competing spirits within try to break free.

SOL fantasy. More David the Gnome than Tolkein.

Interesting; I'll have to check it out.