Alright so given that I refuse to touch Warhammer: Total War with the business end of a rusty halberd...

Alright so given that I refuse to touch Warhammer: Total War with the business end of a rusty halberd, I'm looking for something else to scratch my itch for a decent game in the Warhammer Fantasy world.

Warsword Conquest for Mount and Blade's been doing me well, but it's riddled with bugs and the limitations of the engine are apparent, so I was thinking I'd boot up Medieval 2 again and install Call of Warhammer.

There's just one problem.

There's apparently two versions of it?! I found Call of Warhammer classic and now apparently there's Call of Warhammer: Beginning of the End Times.

Now, I'm wary of anything calling itself anything associated with the End Times, but I'm finding it really hard to find a comparison of the two mods features. Can anyone help me out and let me know what I am missing by getting one version or the other? Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tSuqq4ucQgM&ab_channel=ZoranTheBear
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Haven't played either yet, but the one you want is Beginning of the End Times. More factions, bigger map, more polished. Model quality is highly variable, but the best of them would fit into the actual Total War game without question. Searching for it on youtube will give you plenty of battle reports to see for yourself. Here's the moddb page:

hxxp://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-warhammer-beginning-of-the-end-times

Also, consider touching W:TW with the business end of a rusty halberd. Even if you loathe being shaken down for DLC, the base game alone is incredibly polished and has upwards of 1300 mods. It has it's issues, sure, but IMO minor and fixable by mods.

Dark Omen.

Medieval 2 is much better than Warhammer. Warhammer is much like Shogun 2. The combat pace is an out of hand twitchfest.

This is unfortunate, because there are good things about Warhammer. Its much better balanced than any Total War since Napoleon. Units all have their place. It is also based on oldschool Warhammer, the only stupid out of place thing I ever saw were the Demigryphs.

"Proper Combat Mod" on the steam workshop is the best of the mods to slow down combat. Thank fuck CA allowed mods, cause the game needs them.

Why don't you want to try Total Warhammer? I get it if you just aren't a fan of Total War games or the DLC policy or are an eternally scorned M2 fanboy but aside from that it's probably one of the most solid TW games in recent years. Like the other user said the base game is good and most of the issues can be fixed with mods.

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll get Beginning of the End Times and hope that the storyline isn't followed.

Warhammer Total War is just... I could forgive any one of its mistakes, no problem. I could forgive a couple of them... But when taken all together, it all jsut starts to seem like a real step back. I'm not one of those luddites who believes the series peaked with Medieval 2; in fact, Rome and Atilla are some of my favorite entries, alongside Fall of the Samurai. I just don't want to be party to a game that feels like such a step back in every way that matters.

That and their DLC policy is downright criminal. £14 for a race pack and £2 to enable some blood spatter? I think NOT! Plus, no High Elves yet and until I see me some Asur, it's only half a game for this fanboy!

Personally I would play Total Warhammer except I'm total shit at those sorts of games, and it seems like as I've gotten older I've just gotten worse

>luddites

I'm consistently amazed every time I boot up Medieval 2 with full graphic settings 1080p. It looks fucking amazing. The engine also supports free for all deatmatch, whereas the new one only supports two sides.

I think the height of the series for 1 on 1 battle is Napoleon, however. But it does require a few basic rules for basic play (we do no cannon sniping generals -except grapeshot, that's fine) and limit light infantry and artillery to a set amount. There are balance issues.

The game with mods looks fine other than the faces IMO. The sheer amount of full conversions ranging from LotR to Rage of the Dark Gods keeps me coming back. I agree with you on the free for all part. Playing Call of Warhammer online with buddies is a great experience.

Well, the first expansion has been confirmed by datamining to feature High Elves. The first game's problems are mainly on the campaign map, so an expansion might see more depth to that? Might be worth waiting in that case, since it can't be more than 18 months until it's released, probably.

I wonder how they'll handle the races from the first game, considering Beastmen should be west of the Dark Elves starting position and Empire/Estalian/Norscan colonies should be near the coast of Lustria. There's the vampire coast as well, so are these factions playable w/o owning game 1?

They probably will just ignore the smaller enclaves. It's not like there's going to be the small Wood Elf communities within the Empire, is there? I'm frankly amazed they included Estalia and Tilea at all!

Plus, what really ticks me off is the exclusion of naval warfare! Are they just adding it all in as soon as the Lustria or Ulthuan/Nagaroth DLC drops? Because you can't have a vast expanse of ocean like that and NOT include navies and fleet battles! FFS, what are the High Elves supposed to do? Pretend the SEA GUARD aren't marines?

But of course, that's just the tip of the dwarf mineshaft that is my issues with Total Warhammer... For now, I'll stick to mods.

Speaking of, I'm loving the Mount and Blade Warsword mod! It feels like the warhammer game I've always wanted, minus a few features M&B doesn't support...

Fucking get Warhammer Total War. It's far better then anything CA has shat out recently. Worth the price.

It's gotten endless praise on Veeky Forums generally opinion seems to make it out to be official 9th edition.

Remember that the anti pirating software only protects the base game; you can and should pirate the expansions to your hearts content.

Boo hoo.

I'd rather spend fifteen bucks on a race, instead of 20 bucks per model, which i've had to do in the past.

Hasn't denuvo been cracked? Saw something along those lines on /v/

It'd be a big chunk of land just for Lizardmen, especially since infighting isn't a huge thing for them. I guess if naval warfare was ever going to make it in it'd be with the first expansion.

How is Mount and Blade: Warband btw? I see it's £3.75 on gamersgate

>How is Mount and Blade: Warband

Every time I manage to convince someone to play it they vanish for about a week and come back raving about drinking from skulls and selling butter.

In short, its a great game.

It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but it needs mods to feel complete. I recommend Floris for an experience that takes the vanilla game and just adds more to it. If you're looking for something different, Gekokujo is great and Bryntenwalda is... Desperately complex. Warsword is for Warhammer Fantasy, of course.

If it's that cheap, you probably won't regret the purchase, but look up some gameplay to see if the mechanics are for you. Personally, I'm hyped for Mount and Blade: Bannerlord which should be out later this year. It's looking like everything lacking in Warband has been added and corrected!

You didn't sound like a fag until crying about the high elves

TWW is great, the beastmen are 14$ because it brings a new campaign, new animations, new skeletons, new assets, new voice lines for both the beastmen and all the faction, 6 new spells, new quests, new landscapes and there was a FLC

the blood and gore pack also had dismemberment and decapitations.

Has anyone 40k into ArmA?

A guy on warseer is doing some warhammer to arma work. Very very slowly and not releasing anything.

It's a pity because warma would get me highly erect.

For warhammer fantasy try the CK2 mod, for dynastic strategy goodness

M&B is an absolutely exceptional game. I recommend it 100%
I disagree. Play vanilla first, but don't commit yourself to the character for all eternity. Get a feel for the mechanics and try different weapons and builds. Once you feel like you can evaluate how a mod would change the experience, go for it. Personally, I prefer mods that add to the vanilla experience rather than bomb you with massive troop trees that don't fit with the game.

I'd say the best mod is Anno Domini. Join the crusades, take Jerusalem, desperately defend the city from a horde of infidels with just a handful of knights (because the rest of the crusaders forgot what they were crusading for and fucked off to have a feast). It's great.

youtube.com/watch?v=tSuqq4ucQgM&ab_channel=ZoranTheBear

Warhammer Dark Omen. Play it.

I did like that they added in the little detail that if Toddbringer or Khazrak are wounded in battle with each other, it changes their model to include a missing eye.

You my nigga.

I got more nostalgia for Shadow of the Horned rat, but either way Morgan Bernhardt is a stone cold gangsta.

I'm pretty sure the blood and gore pack only exists to get around German law

If that were true, they could have just charged 50 cents for it and left it at that, but no. They decided it's two or three bucks.

That's...barely anything. Just sell a few steam cards...

EA probably own the rights, wouldn't be very expensive surely, but I'd love to see him as a Legendary Lord for the border princes. Morgan Bernhardt, Leopold the Black, Borgio the Besieger for Tilea & somebody for Estali, maybe entirely new by CA.

I see their nickel and diming has its target audience. Sure, its only two or three bucks, but before you know it, you've spent 300 dollars on their half-finished game.

It'll be another EU 4.

A fair fraction of the units in Dark Omen could be regiments of renown. Most of them would just be palette swaps of empire units ingame already

CK2 geheimnisnacht

The only one which hasn't been suggested, Mark of Chaos, it's very similar to Total War titles

The unit variety is quite limited but TWW could learn quite some things from it (more faithful to the tabletop)

That is, if you can run it hope you haven't upgraded to windows 10 :^)

Mark of Chaos is horrible.

I actually liked it and found it fun, then again, there was not many Warhammer games to compare it to

what's so bad about it?

Mordheim: City of the Damned is really surprisingly good.

Plays similar to original X-Com with a heaping helping of FUN! (in the dorf fort style of it). It's tough but generally if RNG doesn't fuck you up (just like in our rl tabletop games) then any fucking up that happens is on your part, which is good in that you learn not to do whatever made you fuck up.

I'd definitely buy it.

Fucking great, amazing mod community too. I recommend Prophesy of Pendor for harder more rewarding and varied play.