Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Best Paladin edition

Discuss the lore of the Warcraft universe and its potential uses in TTRPGs

Previous thread:

so did maraad just protect y'rel, or did he bubble the pc too?

Personally I'd take away red orcs and "Sargeras did nothing wrong"

Felcaller Whitley says: You will not interrupt my work. The Legion will have this world!
Felcaller Whitley says: Our new masters can make us more than mere mortals, don't you see?
Felcaller Whitley says: The Veiled Hand will rule this shattered world. We herald a new beginning!
Felcaller Whitley says: Usurper! Thief! Scoundrel! You will not deny our glorious destiny!

I think the PC falls into the water or something, I don't think they explain

So, what's the deal with the elemental lords anyhow?
They seem to be fucking shit up for no reason.
Except Terazane.

the elemental lords were enslaved by the Old Gods for literally uncounted aeons and then imprisoned by the Titans for 25000 years. You'd be mad too

So could a BElf demon hunter have conceivably been a Spellbreaker in service to Kael'thas in Outland, before defecting to Illidan's side?

almost certainly, all Belf demon hunters were servants of Kael'thas lent to Illidan to train

Are they for the most part? The only real sperg lord amongst them was Ragnaros. And he's fire. That's what fire does, consumed and destroys. So he was cool with allying with Deathwing. Al'akir seemed more or less press ganged into service. Neptulon seems fairly chill and Therazane is fairly calm for someone who got her kid murdered by the same adventurers that help her out in Deepholme.

So, curious. Altruis or Kayne?

Sounds like an interesting character idea, I don't see why not.

Although they portrayed it poorly, I went Altruis. I prefer the idea of the virtuous Demon Hunters who oppose Illidan's blatant single-mindedness

So I hear Old Lady Sylvanias is in charge of the Horde now? I presume that'll end well.

Voljin gets mortally wounded by cannon fodder and Sylvanas takes over the warchief position.

Because da loa tell him dat she be da one.
And by loa, we of course mean Kosak, that niggerfaggot.

More like she killed Vol'jin and lied to the rest of the horde

Fits her character.

Wut?! The Dark Lady would NEVER do that! NEVERRRRR

we watch the demons kill him and he announces his decision independently in front of the PC and the other 4 leaders of the Horde, nice try though Genn

that would actually be kind of hilarious, but sadly the cutscene leaves no such thing open

it would be interesting to have an ambiguous possible assassination, but I doubt sylvanas has any real interest in being warchief, since all she really wants is to not die and for the forsaken to thrive

looks like plague's back on the menu boys.

Nathanos for leader of the Forsaken when?

Miss me yet?

So how long until we got Forsaken Tauren, Orks, Gobbos and Trolls?

based Putress, literally the Horde's greatest Hero after Saurfang, even if he wouldn't want to be

Just play a DK

Did you think we had forgotten?

Did you think we had forgiven?

BEHOLD NOW! THE TERRIBLE VENGEANCE OF THE FORSAKEN

DEATH TO THE SCOURGE

AND DEATH TO THE LIVING

Now all can see. This is the hour of the forsaken.

which wc3 race do i play

Why couldn't Tirion have just ridden dragons into ice crown citadel and dropped lightbringer into Arthas?

Forsaken.

The best.

what if he'd missed.

Ashbringer rather

The one that best represents your values.

Peace and Order? Humans
To Fuck Shit Up? Orcs
Life and Balance? Elves
To Fuck Shit Up Differently? Undead

Then he should have had a higher hit stat

Nah, I like the visual of Tirion digging up Uther and dropping his body on top of Icecrown to remind Arthas of what a cunt he was.

Remembering that:

A Totalitarian Police State is a peaceful order.
You can fuckshitup and get back in time to tuck dear Timmy into bed.
Survival of the most adaptive to change (ie the strong) is pretty gruesome.
You can fuckshitup2 with all your buddies!

>digging up Uther and dropping his body on top of Icecrown to remind Arthas of what a cunt he was
>"Ooh! A new corpse to resurrect for my army!"

Uther has too much Light in him. Wouldn't work.

Get a king to change his name to Darkbringer

>Uther "corrupts" the lich king

>Bolvar the Fire King

it's more likely than you think. this is a holy dreadlord

>Uther "corrupts" Burning Legion

Everything about holy dreadlords is so out there. They are the ORIGINAL demons, the ones who did the corrupting in the first place

Which says something about the strength of the light.

tbf, i can get this guy's story, he didn't believe in sargeras, he legit just wanted to kill the fuckers that fucked up his race, kinda like the draenei to the sargerei, but why the fuck is he made of the holy light. how does he even find the holy light?

More like Paladins are so naive they let a dreadlord right onto their base.

This is honestly what I suspect is going down. C'mon, really? It's a fucking natherezim. This shit is bad news bears.

Probably was told to corrupt some paladins, listened to them whittle on about the light, and got converted on the spot.

Warcraft sure has gone downhill

I dunno, Varimathras helped Sylvanas get some plague bombs

And then he betrayed her for Putress later on.

>Day 47: they still don't suspect that I transmogged my fel aura, armor, and horns.

Got plague bombs, don't care

Daily reminder.

BEHOLD YOUR NEW GOD

>Best Paladin edition
With best palawaifu.

>So, curious. Altruis or Kayne?
Pretty much the same as Neither is ideal, as they both have pros and cons. Kayn is loyal, but fanatically so. Altruis will question stupid decisions, but can verge into paranoia. But Altruis wins out because he was pre-established in TBC and actually DID SHIT in TBC.

Personally, I'd want a lieutenant that's dedicated, but unafraid to voice concerns that I'm about to do something stupid.

Altruis seems like a possible Starscream risk.
Kayn seems like the type to take a bullet for Illidan, even if he's being mind controlled by the Legion. Which is plausible, considering Gul'dan ran off with his body.

What does Kodo meat taste like, anyway?

What exactly do Goblins eat? What about Naga?

Is demon blood a viable substitute for egg yolk?

>Not having a DK-fu

>Kodo meat
Gamey, stringy, probably lots of gristle
>Goblins
They look like omnivores with a carnivore lean
>Naga
Probably lots of kelp and fish and shit
>Demon blood
Ask Grom

>What does Kodo meat taste like, anyway?
I'd guess beef, for irony.

>Not having a DK-fu
Maraad has the paladin waifu.

I actually do have a DK waifu. She's played by my wife.

>Maraad has the paladin waifu.
Point.

Shame they scrapped that whole romance plot between the two characters.

Shame they scrapped a lot of shit from WoD. It coulda been a contender.

Can we talk about the best thing to come out of MoP?

Pic related.

That's not the mogu

So how is something not Mogu, the best thing to come out of MoP? I'm sort of confused about how you wanted to discuss the best thing from MoP but didn't post it. Was this a riddle or a guessing game?

Of course

>t. Lei Shen

>Dude troggs lmao
T. Grimlok

Y'Shraaj please go.

Where did Magni run off to?

>Magni journeyed north to Ulduar. Within the Celestial Planetarium, he revealed to Brann and Khadgar the truth about Azeroth: that the planet itself was a titan, and she had named him her speaker. Magni revealed that when the world was young, after the imprisonment of the Old Gods, the Keepers used the Pillars of Creation to shape the world. Eventually, the Pillars of Creation found their way into mortal hands, and now they were needed to close the Legion's portal at the Tomb of Sargeras. Knowledge of the Pillars was entrusted to the Guardian of Tirisfal, prompting Khadgar to go investigate Karazhan. Afterward, Brann asked Magni what he was going to do next, wondering if he would return to Ironforge. Magni replied that Azeroth has other duties for him, but he'd be happy to talk with Brann for a while.[37]

So... Magni confirmed for new World Shaman?

>So, curious. Altruis or Kayne?
Altaruis is an established character, but I didn't really feel there was much RP reason for my DH to pick him. Considering that all your DH would know is that Altruis is a guy who deserted from Illidan's army (something that is generally seen as a very bad thing in any military), and then after you get out of prison you find out he's directly responsible for deaths of several other demon hunters by getting random murderhoboes to kill them. Even if you character accepts that maybe Illidan did go a bit overboard at times, the guy is still a deserter and a traitor, and the justifications he gives for his actions are pretty flimsy.

On a side note, I'm somewhat annoyed that apparently my DH is right. I intented to play his as somebody who believes Illidan did nothing wrong (or rather, that the bad things he did were justified as being necessary to fight the Legion), in essence being too closely involved with things to be able to objectively look at the big picture and see that much of Illidan's actions in TBC can't be justified as "unfortunate but necessary". Maybe if presented with enough proof of all the bad stuff Illidan did, he'd realise that Illidan wasn't exactly a poster child of mental stability and did a lot of really stupid stuff.
But it seems the official lore is going with Illidan actually doing nothing wrong, and the Naaru (who tasked the PCs with killing him in the first place) scold non-DH PCs for killing the clearly mentally unstable half-demonic dictator who'se been fighting and enslaving everybody who doesn't willingly serve his cause.

Goblin got freaking shark teeth

always.

Lei Shen unironically did nothing wrong. He was the hero Azeroth needed to stop the Old Gods

This

His death quote is evidence enough.

"I sought only to finish... the work of the Gods..."

Which gods? Old gods or titans? Starman McSexyvoice also wanted to "finish the work of the gods", which would've meant a reset of the planet

The champions of Azeroth have killed two of them and stopped the efforts of a third by that point. What's Lei Shen's record?

You know, something I keep wanting to do is run an actual game in the Warcraft setting, but the WoW RPG's use of 3.5 mechanics doesn't really feel all that much like the core setting.

Thinking of getting legion to try out the demon hunting starting zone story. Any good?

Are you dumb or just know nothing about Lei Shen and the Mogu's lore?

He means the titans.

Lei Shens record is none because after the Titans left the old gods had been dealt with and the Mogu were keeping order until they returned.

The Mogu were overthrown by the Pandaren long before the Old Gods had begun corrupting important players in Azeroth. When the sundering happened, Pandaria broke off the main landmass and by then the Pandaren were in charge.

Also Lei Shen had shittons of Titan technology at his disposal, to the point where he could WIELD LIGHTNING. ancient allies, loyal supporters, and 2 seats of power to boot.

Had he not died thanks to the Mogu being rendered mortal like everyone else via the titans curse of flesh the Mogu would not have descended into infighting and gotten overthrown in their complacency.

Players have only defeated the old gods because they had the means to. Lei Shen, dead for centuries and stranded on a continent where the residential Old God is a heart, did not.

>Are you dumb or just know nothing about Lei Shen and the Mogu's lore?
I haven't played since start of Cata

And he still lost. Face it, the Alliance and the Horde are just better than everyone else, or at least their primary champions are.

>whips out his e-peen in a lore discussion thread
bro
It's a story written solely to allow the player to save the day and be the hero.

Or did you not figure that out?

Yeah it's alright, though it's less meaty than the DK starting zone. The primary portion is set literally during the siege of the Black Temple, presumably after the raid clears the sewers, but the pacing of the quests means you're taking longer to get what Illidan needs from Mardum than a raid would need to clear it back in the day, or so I felt. The latter portion fails utterly to do anything but present Illidan as completely justified, despite him going nutso crazy. No really, you're faced with a choice of Altruis the Sufferer and Kayn Sunfury, and to help you choose, you get to watch a video of Illidan being a badass and ignoring his crimes.

Is illidan in the game in the present time at the moment?

I was expecting the Ashtongue reinforcements you get on Mardum to randomly turn on you because "lol Shade of Akama died" but I was disappointed

Legion launches 30th, so...no

Going to second this, basically: It's awesome, right up until you move to the Warden prison. Then it's just sigh inducing.

Doesn't stop him being a model in the game for the pre release. I don't know what is status is after his body getting captured.

Kind of? Shit Gul'dan and Khagar's Watcher Buddy Something Felsong (who is TOTES EVIL Y'ALL) make off with an imprisoned Illidan, while Maiev chases them, and that's the end of that. Hopefully there will be some followup, but I doubt it. I'm in the beta, but I decided to not go too far with the quest lines to keep it fresh.

Same here. They should have betrayed you pretty quick, because not having to clear those packs and having the option of a repair in the raid is nice.

I like the idea of the prison, and wish the Violet Hold was as interesting. A Hypercube style prison would be GOAT.

As an aside, the sudden arrival of EVERYBODY GETTING A FUCKING VA is distracting. The Unholy DK chain for the artifact weapon is "Invader Zim is being a cunt, and we've made Karazhan way less interesting," which is pretty sad.

>Naaru VA
Man that shit's weird after all those magic windchime noises

>Khagar's Watcher Buddy Something Felsong
Cordana, who apparently turned evil from touching a fel object that Khadgar actively used for a spell. Which is bloody stupid.

And in addition to claiming Illidan did nothing wrong, they apparently forgot Maiev did a lot of evil shit, too.

Blizzard is probably saving Illidan for 7.2. So he can be the final boss of the second to last raid tier of the expansion again.

>As an aside, the sudden arrival of EVERYBODY GETTING A FUCKING VA is distracting.
I don't know, it's nice once you get used to it. I like that they have the dialog boxes at the bottom of the screen now, too, so it's easy to tell who's talking.