Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

Do you ever think Gargoyles could be a playable race? Edition

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Horror Adventures: imgur.com/a/r2TOH
imgur.com/a/odYOE

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/BNDxMY0x
pastebin.com/ZMzZ5NBi
enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?317715-Very-Long-Combat-as-Sport-vs-Combat-as-War-a-Key-Difference-in-D-amp-D-Play-Styles
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/54121/rymvous
d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/force-dash
d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/giant-steps-duergar
d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/stretched-wings-strix
d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/longshanks
lmgtfy.com/?q=scat fetish
docs.google.com/document/d/1rwtD6bOGy9Vbegn_sGC7ZUyDdKq8h72SDiunSUYllUc/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/document/d/1Hp2sHJFAc1-goCMvg3hIH1CmsHOh9mU-tdnvGwu2W-M/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/document/d/17tC7oYTFzRfosG5SzHpOOS8CZZXpdhEEJX9se9_UEvc/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Art in the Akashic book is pretty cool

Is there anything not present in playtests? Are Aegis customizations still shit?

>shit
>Give you a veil or two
>If you don't need the veil anymore you can just gab some other customization

Don't use it to grab a combat veil, use it to shore up the poor out of combat/trasport game of the Aegis.

Pic is the Akashic Dragon, a super Salamander.

>poor out of combat/trasport game of the Aegis

>aegis
>poor transport

The fuck are you smoking? Even with just ultimate psionics they get access to every transportation mode except teleport, and they can grab Fold Space with power stones(which, for Aegis, are reusable).

Parse the sentence correctly for

Out of combat
Out of transport

Outside these two situations the Aegis is as good as his skill points and power stone use.

Maybe, if you're using Path of War, he has access to some random stance that can be useful out of combat.

Access to veils gives him a larger number of out of combat options. Or for a Half giant archetype Aegis access to Forcestrike Knuckles on his slam.

Ar these based on some sort of mythology I am not familiar with?

Indian I presume.

For clarification, these are all Akashic monsters that naturally have essence and veils.

Inspired by Ganesh and Hanuman, I suppose.

>blue skin
>multi-armed
>elephant

South Asian, mostly Indian but I imagine you might get some Cambodian/Vietnamese/Nepali influence.

Forgot to include names
Ganapti
Hanumapti
Yatudhana

This thing is a Yaksa, the lowest CR thing here at CR 5.

So far
>Aerial Nimbus buffed to permanent airwalk at 4 essence
>Force Strike Nerfed to only UAS or 1 natural weapon
>Better formatting overall

>Buy Monster Class subscription on d20pfsrd shop
>Buy Akashic Mysteries subscription on d20pfsrd shop
>Monster Classes haven't been updated since Undead
>No Akashic Mysteries at all
wew lad

>Not buying from DSP site directly which gives them the largest share of the profits

What if he wanted to support both? D20pfsrd is a good service.

except in this particular case where he has to wait for the new stuff after buying it.

Yes. Based on the usefulness of the website itself, I never would have expected their online store to be a shit show.

So I need to make a barbarian, and I have no idea where to even start buildwise. I'll be starting at level 2 with an EXTREMELY generous point buy of 32 pts, but basically nothing but the base APG and the Unchained rules for the barb.
Trouble is, I don't even know what kind of a concept I want to go for, combat-wise. What kind of a role can a barbarian fill other than meatshield and damage turret with those limited resources?

...Why are you a barbarian if you want to be something that isn't one of those?

I didn't say I wanted to be something that's not one of those, I just wanted to know what options I'm looking at. I've never actually played a barbarian before.

With a 32 Point buy I'd even suggest running a Monk or Unchained Monk over Barb.

That might work. We're running Unchained Monk too. Still basically nothing else other than APG though.

Can you get access to Ultimate Combat for style feats? They're to make unarmed combat cool.

If you have any choice in the matter, Core barbarian is mostly better than unchained.

Actually, looking over the feats list, there's UC feats in here, so I guess I was mistaken about it being core only.

What's better, an enthusiastic new player who knows jack-shit, or a jaded longtime player who plays really well.

Imo am enthustiastic new player, but it really depends on other stuff you havent mentioned.

If the party is a bunch of people who really like roleplaying, not knowing much isn't going to matter.

If they're a highly optimized party who mostly like to stomp on enemies, then a player who knows the system well might fit in better

'If plays really well' includes knowing how to respect the atmosphere of the game and not bitch unnecessarily about rules mid session, then the latter.

Breaking news! 2hu confirmed for total shitter, got permabanned from #pfg, should be banned from /pfg/ for autism with broken builds too.

Proof:
pastebin.com/BNDxMY0x
pastebin.com/ZMzZ5NBi

Oh boy, he's back
Can we just ignore him and not shit up the thread for 50+ posts?
> inb4
I realities the hypocrisy of saying this while replying to his post.

2hu sympathizer detected.

>love designing homebrew content
>never get to play any games because group is too fragmented

What's your guy verdict on Shadow mystery for Oracle?

Also why isn't this on d20pfsrd yet??

Are 4th casters spell ever remotely relevant?
Context assumes no 3pp.

Sacred Servant Paladin's spells are because they can steal from a much better list, but outside of that no. They really should just be 6th level casters with a worse spell list if that's the goal.

Whats this from

I just stumbled upon the whole idea of combat as sport vs combat as war: seems like it's a reasonably well known thing in the community but the first time I've come across it.

enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?317715-Very-Long-Combat-as-Sport-vs-Combat-as-War-a-Key-Difference-in-D-amp-D-Play-Styles

Obviously, PF is geared towards Combat as Sport, and Path of War (maybe even most recent DSP stuff) builds on that goal even more heavily.

While these playstyles aren't mutually exclusive, are they always a sliding scale balancing act, or has anyone had experiences which brought the best parts of both together?
Has anyone done anything heavily combat-as-war using a path of war class? How did that go?

Hi, just chiming in that you, yourself, not 2hu or anyone else but you and your constant shitting up of the thread, is going to be directly responsible for me abandoning /pfg/ forever and subsequently delaying or getting rid of new pdf leaks forever.

Have a nice day.

Blood of Shadows

tl; mostly dr. CR system exists to support sports approach. However, nothing's preventing players from say curbstomping low-level enemy army to gain strategical advantage, and when low level players meet a dragon the size of small village they probably should take cue that GM doesn't intend them to fight it, and run for their lives instead.

Making players run and hide from strong enemies is so counterintuitive in this system because it's hard to run and hide at all and super-duper hard to do it against high CR enemies in particular.

Hey /pfg/, I'm running a short horror game for my players, it'd be a dark modern fantasy game and they're starting from 1st level.
I'm opening it up to all 1pp supplements and especially HA, and 20pb. What 3pp should the players also have access to?

>horror dark modern fantasy game
Did you try not playing dnd?

Does the magus critical with pathfinder affect the damage roll of the magic spell?
Like, I roll 5d6 of shocking grasp at level 5, plus the 1dx from the scimitar with a critical range of 15-20.
So its 10d6 of shocking grasp and 2dx from the scimitar?

Yes. Spell critical multiplier is independent of the weapon, though - it's always 2x unless a class feature says otherwise.

Cool story bro. My friends want to play pf.
Can you actually give some useful suggestions?

What I took wasn't so much about the idea of not making encounters matched to the players, but more about how there's a type of enjoyment from a complex and direct fight versus an enjoyment from engaging with the setting and putting in preparation work to then bypass, change, or trivialize the fight.

Saying Combat-as-War is about thinking 'if a game was realistic then the PCs sometimes should run into strong enemies they're not going to win by fighting' is a bit of a misrepresentation, it's closer to 'The PCs can never be sure they'll win every fight, and would rather avoid the risk, so their real challenge is avoiding unnecessary fights and then making lots of preparation in advance to win necessary fights before they start. Alternately, they engage enemies in creative ways that sidestep the battle system, like sealing all the exits to a bandit den and torching them to avoid direct combat.'

Combat as war:
>We need the rogue to scout ahead so we can avoid the monsters or be forewarned about their presence. This may lead to us skipping some planned encounters entirely.
Combat as sport:
>There's no point in scouting because we're going to run into a monster encounter either way, and if we ambush them all and kill them before they fight back it's an easy but boring victory

Recruiting Spheres of Power autists for an all-SoP game!

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/54121/rymvous

>Audio / Visual: Video and Voice

Voice, sure, I can see the merit in that.
Why the hell do people need video?

Besides that +5 ft feat, are there, in Pathfinder Paizo's material, any other feat that increases speed?

Run.

>better formatting

oh thank fuck

I'll reformulate my question, any feat that increases your base speed apart from Fleet?

I doubt it but check racial feats and style feats. I think those two are the most likely to get that.

d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/force-dash
This is likely the only non-racial non-style one.

As for racial stuff:
d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/giant-steps-duergar
d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/stretched-wings-strix
And, to my knowledge, no style feats fit the description.

I checked, and nothing for my tastes, a lot of "charge" speed or "overland" speed, but not base speed, fuck, I'll settle for tactic speed but not even that. I'm asking because, on my own, didn't find anything.

Btw, it has to be a feat, cant' be magic item, spell or class feature.

d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/longshanks

For a human non caster character sadly

>non-caster
>Paizo-only
Why?

It's a conversion from an old 3.5 game.

What's wrong with Fleet?

Nothing per se, only that I'd have to pick it 4 times to come close to what I had before and I don't have that many feats.

Well Paizo loves core, thinks it's balanced and still knows Fleet exists so they're not going to make a feat that just outclasses it. 5ft for a feat is what you get.

Don't lie to me /pfg/, what 3pp classes do you always include in your games?

Radiance House Occultist.

DEE
ASS
PEE

Man, don't give the shitposter what he wants.

What/best level to start an adventure? 1st or 2nd?

3rd at the absolute least. Somewhere between 3-5 is good.

Depends entirely on the kind of adventure/campaign you intend to run. I wouldn't start at first level unless you either newbies in the group or other very good reason for doing so, though. Even second level is arguably too low.

Why's this? Not enough class features coming online?

Partially that but mostly that levels 1-2 have a high chance of random bullshit deaths to mooks.

They call it rusty dagger shanktown for a reason.

This is good for some game types though.

Generally gametypes involving a different game system, though.

Hey, /pfg/! Excited for the weekend? Any big plans, in-game or out-of-game?

>Conversion
Run, run like hell, conversions are shit, nobody ends happy with them because a lot of times is neither easy nor possible and people have to make concessions

Try to stick to the basics of your character, what he could do, how he approached situations, etc, you'll never be able to translate the character 1:1

I forget the name of the feat but I think tribal scars(raptorscale) gives 6 HP +2 acrobatics and 5' speed increase.

So THAT'S why Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were able to dash away from those droids super fast and then no Jedi ever used that power again.

My PCs are exploring a forest and I want to include some stuff to break up the combat encounters without being dull. I'm planning for the ground to give way under their feet and for them to fall into a cave they have to find their way out of. Do you guys have any suggestions for what things could happen in the cave that don't involve combat?

>Parse the sentence correctly for
Use proper punctuation and grammar first, you turbo fag

I prefer 2nd because that extra hit die can really make a difference for some classes. Not to mention a rounded party will start getting some class abilities that can be useful to keep the other members alive while waiting for theirs. Like in my RotRL campaign, after the first adventure I just leveled everyone to 2nd level even though the AP said you should do exactly as you start the 3rd act of Chapter 1.

possible stalagmite impalement
trying to climb wet walls.
They have to swim underwater (cave swimming is scary as shit, just make sure to have some treasure waiting just like in real life.)
They have to constantly squeeze through small cracks without knowing exactly is on the other side so if you want to make a combat scenario there's always that.

Pdf or pictures of Akashic Mysteries, I wanna buy it but I need to read a preview of the material

lmgtfy.com/?q=scat fetish

God damn I didn't want to fap user

Its been awhile, Lord of the LAsh user here /pfg/, but I got some new homebrews that I'd love critiquing

First is a new Initiating Gunslinger, one of two I plan on working on, the Demolitions Expert. Blow stuff up with Grenades, Explosive Rounds, and skilled placement of explosives
>docs.google.com/document/d/1rwtD6bOGy9Vbegn_sGC7ZUyDdKq8h72SDiunSUYllUc/edit?usp=sharing

Next is the Corrupt Herald, an Initiating Antipaladin in the same way as the Knight Disciple Paladin. Become the bloodsoaked spectre of blood and carnage that haunts battlefields and warzones
>docs.google.com/document/d/1Hp2sHJFAc1-goCMvg3hIH1CmsHOh9mU-tdnvGwu2W-M/edit?usp=sharing

And third, and most rough and still in the conceptual stage, is the War Weaver, an Initiating Magis. As it is I'm still concept proofing it, and am unsure as to which direction I should take this. On the one hand, its semi-servicable as it is, but on the other hand I feellike it oculd use more, but I'm unsure how much to change it and which archetypes I should keep it compatable with.
>docs.google.com/document/d/17tC7oYTFzRfosG5SzHpOOS8CZZXpdhEEJX9se9_UEvc/edit?usp=sharing

As always, ALL manner of critique, criticism, and idea proofing is available, and I am not opposed to scrapping and reworking entire sections and concepts from the ground up.

Now, I know from experience that it takes a good long while before the actual critiquing occurs, so in the meanwhile, I'm just going to keep my laptop open to here while I play some Xenoblade. However if I miss some early critiquing, rest assured I WILL address it at some point before the day is over.

Alright, so one of my players is a half-orc barbarian raised in Sandpoint as an indentured servant to the Scarneti family, after the events of the Swallowtail Goblin raid, the family felt it was bad PR to have a servant who was a local hero and set him free.

Now, as my in my groups tradition, we tend to get items that are mini boosts at or near the start of the campaign and I decided that one of the humans who looked after him would give him a Senhedron necklace with orcish runes etched into it on the back reading "Glory to the Beast (Rovagug)." but he doesn't know what the necklace does yet and I'm trying to think of some clever bonuses it could give him. On a related note, I'm trying to think of some sidequests he could go on to learn more about his orcish past (he's being mentored by another half-orc in our party) and I'm tempted to have the party at some point travel to Urglin to possibly figure more out about his past. I looked online and I couldn't find anything but a minor description so now I'm stuck trying to thing of a good way to advance this character backstory.

>Demolitions Expert gives up Quick Clear
You know, of all the things a gun using class gives up, that's probably one of the ones that hurts the worst. You can pick it up again with a feat, but wow.

Explosive Rounds is one of the few things I'd give up gun training for. Good job there.

What's your plan for Temporal Trigger?

GM question:

How many CR-Appropriate (currently CR 1 for a party of four level 1s) encounters can I throw at my characters between letting them rest.

You should aim for 3-5 at most levels. At low levels, you should shave that downb to 2-3, because low levels are already scary enough - level 1 is called rusty dagger shanktown for a reason.

I have never heard that, but I think I get it. Is it because of the low health pools?

depends on party comp and what their ability scores are like.

I'm pretty sure I could have ran like 4 CR 1 encounters without worrying to much if we had the time because two of our front liners are barbarians and so have a shit ton of health.

But is probably a good rule of thumb.

As many as you need to kill them, if you get bored through something way above their league like a Balor or something, I know it works.

Theoretically, 4. But you have to realize that CR is, at best, a rough estimate. And that's before you even start considering how the capabilities vary from party to party because of different compositions and different optimization levels.

Yeah. A wrong roll at levels 1-3 can result in character death, and that gets easier to deal with as you go up in level and HP pools and combat options open up.

>What's your plan for Temporal Trigger?
Riven Hourglass maneuvers with guns, bending time to have rapid reload with with any gun your reloading, even when using two, and using time delay to shoot multiple bullets at once to make a wall of projectiles MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA!
Basically, the whole theme of the archetype will be "The Matrix, but in PF and without the Existentialist Philosophy". Or, if you want a weeb analogy, basically imagine Kiritsugu Emiya meets Homura.

Hence the Super Hot reference for the teaser