Horus Heresy General /hhg/

Loyalty Above All Edition
Remember when Curzefag got pregnant? I sure do, but I can't remember if Al or Uni is the father Sub-Edition
So a meme was explained and the Astartes Olympics continued. We discussed Primarch characterization in the BL/FW books, we saw a machine that has a machine spirit out of touch with reality, Anons talked about how their last game went, Black Templar and psyker talk was made after IW banter was posted, and much more in the last bread Red Books Links:
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2Fs15Jqk1t%2Ffile.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23!Jx1UGCTI!vMJN89z7p8tiEC7YOAj477g6RxDtJ7culVLF3q3godg
HH Book 6 - Retribution PDF:
mediafire.com/download/8aqx9j3a8erqv8d/The_Horus_Heresy_Book_6_-_Retribution.pdf or
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fkat.cr%2Fthe-horus-heresy-book-6-retribution-pdf-t12199249.html
HHG FAQ - pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8
Official HH 7th Edition Errata (Updated January 2016) - forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf
Other official downloads: forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads#horusheresy
HH Rules:
Age of Darkness Army List: mediafire.com/download/f0c2pnieoijyrqk/Legiones Astartes Age of Darkness Army List.pdf
Mechanicum Taghmata Army List: mega.nz/#!LFwTjQ7B!mF0eVOY8P1MPT0a-QSXypXo_ZfskhYynD41PrkaTbD8
30k/40k Rules: mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS
30k/40k Rules and more (torrents): kat.cr/usearch/"Forge World" heresy user:epistolary/
30k Black Library: mega.nz/#F!0RlxDZQC!qAu9BaubWa3KeihJRmOcsg
Strawpoll links: strawpoll.me/10558764
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

Happy birthday, OP.

Which legion appeals to you the most, considering your zodiac sign is Leo?

Deathshroud terminators without transport worth it? Their lack of any real ranged weapons feels limiting.

>20+ tacticools ready for priming
>missing 2 heads for the sergeants
>waited for 2 weeks, not going to get them before this weekend

To live is to suffer.

Happy birthday fella

Just run them as Iron Hands

Happy Birthday threadguy, hope all your rolls are high and your paints are thin

Happy birthday bread-user have a vindicator, you can repaint As iron warriors because we all play iron warriors don't we now

Thanks, guys.
>Which legion appeals to you the most, considering your zodiac sign is Leo?
It's a two way tie between Dangles and Bangles with the latter slightly winning more. Sang is my favorite Primarch and playing as the BAs in Chapter Master felt right. Now that I think about it I have always been distrustful of forests, and I have always liked the DAs' theme.
I don't play. I'm more into the fluff. I would play if I had a lgs nearby, and if I did I probably would cause rage induced heart attacks with my painting.

Finished the first half of a veteran squad.

Amazing. Kinda camouflaged against the base, though.

I blame these guys.

>between Dangles and Bangles
My man. I had the same tie, but the DAs knightly theme won over the BAs angelic (the irony) in my case.
Birthday in 10 days.

>golden darth Vader
These bloody orthodox heretics know no bounds

You're a pretty cool guy.
I start college on your birthday. Not scared though. There are worse things to be scared of. Like BL deciding to restart the HH series, or GW taking over the HH and making it worse than the state of 40k. Happy early birthday, user.
>My man. I had the same tie, but the DAs knightly theme won over the BAs angelic (the irony) in my
The Blood Angels's vamperic theme sort of helped by 1%.

Looking great so far but why is the heavy flamer one brighter than the others, do the chem munitions burn off the dirt or something

user, he's your Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I don't think there's much we can do now.

The light plays tricks on your eyes.

Looks like some proper poison huffers here, user.
They probably burn off dirt and paint.

BASED LORGAR

First year? What field and why so early, it usually starts at end of September/start of Oct. Of course there are.
Thanks, breadanon, sadly it can't be because of a common issue called love.
Happy birthday to you too.
Yeah, but then the DA have the hunter aspect, and let's not forget the Order killing a death world with a sword. Not that BAs are any worse because of that, I mostly like that mystic thread about the legion.

Have faith, Word Bearer.

So I'm listening to Deliverance Lost, and the emperor is explaining to corvus how to make more marines, and he mentions that he can unmake what he made.

Why not just destroy the legions and start building new ones?

MY DICK IS DIAMONDS
nice job.

I think unmaking would probably involve some kind of geneseed targeting virus or something and he'd risk wiping out his loyal legions too. Emps can't hold the Imperium together without some marines and losing them all might be worse than the Heresy

Too resource intensive, politics, gene phages that could be introduced to the gene seed would probably take time to destabilize the genetics of the astartes. He could be alluding to the ability to unmake the primarchs via warp witchery, thus by extension may have the same capacity to unmake the Astartes.

Perhaps his solution was even simpler, the Emperor would destroy legions that didn't adhere to his will.

The Emperors leniency towards the primarchs is most likely based on his complete knowledge of them as their creator. What would he have to fear of demigod children made with distinct purpose by his own hands?

I wager the primarchs personalities destabilized with added warp influence and became less ascendant when raised by simple humans with based cultures.

History, and I guess where I am fall classes have to begin on next Monday. What sort of love issue we're talking about here? Also you're welcome.
>Yeah, but then the DA have the hunter aspect, and let's not forget the Order killing a death world with a sword
That's part of the reason I like them. They did not bow down to the evils of trees and what hid behind them, and murdered every spook that lives within the forests.
Because that would be inefficient, too many resources wasted, and he needed them to become space cops.

Can i take Leviathans in Dread Drop pods in a Angels Wrath rite of war?

But without the primarchs and marines, the heresy would have grinded to a halt, and while it would take time to make new marines, the period of instability would be better than the dark ages after the heresy.

But that would ruin the plot. We can't have anything possibly changing the future now can we? Maybe we can, but the hero/villain protagonist of the week will stop it, and everything will continue.

Looks weathered and sexy.

Interesting stuff awaits you, in case you didn't know it already, though I guess you did. Goes hand in hand with the hobby, eh?
The classic thing, there's that the one girl that was by my side the last birthday but won't be this one. Never mind it.
Aye.
Well, none of the primarchs had accepted the things as they were, but the knightly hunter type evokes a certain romantic image that makes me like them so much. It's ironic how the Great Beast Hunt was the very root of Caliban's destruction as the beasts had been absorbing the power of the Ouroboros and thus keeping it weak and in slumber.
Also it's a shame Gav got his paws all over the DA and how the BA's opus is still very weak.

Sorry to hear that, user.
>Well, none of the primarchs had accepted the things as they were
But only the Lion stood up against the trees. How many of the Primarchs had homeworlds with trees on them? Trees that had dropped all pretenses of not being havens for monsters, and the root of all evil? As for that last bit, user, that's what we call Thrope's Law.

Big battles and politicking. Or just rewrite the whole series to make the Heresy much bloodier.
>By the end of the heresy only like 6 primarchs are left alive 4 are traitors
>Malcador is dead
>Emperor is on life support
>Loken and Garro are both dead

The books might actually be worth reading if they weren't prequels since you wouldn't know what is coming. Maybe Fulgrim gets into a duel with Corax leading one to wonder if Fulgrim will get another primarch kill or Corax will be able to slip away.

So Seekers are currently a way better unit than Headhunters, but I'm hoping that'll change. Still should I put together my Headhunters as they are or as Seekers? It's not going to be a big diff. but it's the difference between bolters and combi bolters.

Should I bet on future changes or go with what the rules are now?

What to say, thanks I guess. But who knows, maybe by the next birthday things will change. Anyway, let's end this discussion, this isn't the thread for it.
Yeah, those darn trees. Good thing Farith is creative in destruction, hopefully the dreadwing protocol gets actual suicide pods and flyers.

Can't advise you on modelling, but expect an update in some future, there's too many unique units lagging behind the "general" counterparts, FW at least realises it. As to when, I cannot guess, they've been getting busier and busier.

Yeah, we should stop blogposting.
>Yeah, those darn trees. Good thing Farith is creative in destruction, hopefully the dreadwing protocol gets actual suicide pods and flyers.
Could be interesting.

>Can't advise you on modelling, but expect an update in some future, there's too many unique units lagging behind the "general" counterparts, FW at least realises it. As to when, I cannot guess, they've been getting busier and busier.
>FW buffs most special units
>Palatine Blades will probably be buffed even though they don't need it
I for one welcome FW dropping Palatines to 120 points for a squad plus 15 for each additional dude. 30 WS 5, Str 5, AP 2 attacks at I 5 for just 295 points.

>but expect an update in some future
The trouble is that we just got both red book updates, and the second one is part of what caused the issue of unique units starting to lag behind. It's a little bizarre since you would think they did most of the design work around the same time.

Let us not forget the grav-LR.
Get in line, Rampagers should have been 100pts right from the start.
>The trouble is that we just got both red book updates, and the second one is part of what caused the issue of unique units starting to lag behind. It's a little bizarre since you would think they did most of the design work around the same time.
I agree. And some units have to be cross-referenced with the FAQ since the "forgot" to include some USRs in LAAoDAL and LAAoD unit entries (Seekers, Headhunters...).

How do we fix Banestrike?

So why are headhunters bad?

R:18'' S:4 AP:3 Rapid Fire, Rending
Already discussed to death.

Seekers are cheaper, Scorpius rounds are S5 AP2, they lost preferred enemy, Banestrike is shit. Also due to Headhunters being shit, Headhunter Leviathal RoW means you're directly nerfing your list.

Hopefully this discourages new AL players.

they arent bad its just that seekers are better now at killing marines and termies scorpius shots arre str 5 ap2 r24 Heavy 1

I thought it was hilarious when user posted the pic of his friends quad mortars, I posted Have faith, Word Bearer, and then everyone else did too. Also happy birthday breadguy! Have a piece from a failed artist.

Oh, and Veterans exist.

Is that pic from a certain guy named Adolf?
Also, have faith, Word Bearers.

Oh man, is there any word they overuse in made-up compound words more than bane?

Okay, maybe storm.

>I wish that you were there.
>You and your stupid hair.

Love this look, inspired by the FW books. Why do Death Guard seem like so much fun for hobby purposes?

DG opens up for some fun weathering.

Thanks. Have a fire bird.

Primaris Lightning or Xiphon Interceptor.
Both are about 220pts when fully upgraded.
Looking for mostly another Anti-Air unit, but also capable of doing some Anti-Armour too once the skies are clear.
Both cost lots of $$$, so only able to buy 1.
Insight?

DG is pimp. I made them as my second legion purely because I liked their style and since they're traitors, I get to throw all my old Chaos projects with them. Biggest purchases I'm looking at is a bunch of pickelhaube helmets.

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

Competitive events have lots of Primaris Lightnings and few Xiphons…

The Lightning looks cooler and that's good enough for me.

Yeah, but if 9 of your sons join ISIS do you kill the other 9 as well?

Can you elaborate more on this?
Why is that?
Is it cause the Xiphon is a newer flyer?
Xiphon costs about 220pts after adding ground tracking auguries and armoured cockpit. Its meant to take out flyers and packs 2xTL Lascannons, as well as a 3+jink and is supersonic.
The Primaris looks a little cheaper, and can also get Straffing Run and Tank Hunter, can have TL-Autocannon/MLs. It can take Kraken Missiles for dedicated tank killing, or a Phosphex bomb cluster for killing dudes dead. Not sure if storm charges are good enough though, albeit cheap for Haywire.
Just wondering, as both models are cool, looking at adding a Flyer to my force.

He already purged 2 of them. What makes the remaining 18 more special? Marines were never meant to last and the primarchs were just a weapons program to unify humanity and then fade away.

That thumbnail looks like a mini-Rhino stuck to the Xiphon’s nose. The full-sized image looks fine though.

Anyway, I think it’s because people use them for anti-tank, so they’re always taken with four kraken penetrators. It doesn’t seem common to take a flyer as your primary anti-air, oddly enough; it’s usually Contemptor Mortises. Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with the Xiphon… it’s not like it can only attack flyers.

Make sense. I already plan to buy a Contemptor Mortis for AA as is.
If running 4 Kraken Penetrators, what is the other Hardpoint used for?
How are they solely ran? I assume then:
[240] Lightning (135), 4 Kraken (70), Electromagnetic Storm Charges (10), Battle Servitor Control (15), Ramjet Diffraction Grid (20). Or did I add on too much gear?

Xiphon has more non-one-use-only weapons, so it'll pack its punch longer. But as a 2HP flyer in 30k, it's not going to last very long against any serious AA, if at all.

Lightning isn't any more resilient, but far more versatile. You don't need long lasting guns if you're only going to live a turn or two. Your best bets are probably the kraken and/or phosphex, since they pack the most punch and you can have, for example, 4 krakens and 2 phosphex bombs (a single cluster), drop the bombs and fire 3 kraken missiles at full BS in the same turn. Plus your TL lascannon. Krakens might be a bit overkill for shooting at flyers, but if they hit, they'll hurt a lot.

It's all about what you want, I feel. Xiphon is not a bad choice, but I feel like it needs time to do damage, while the Lightning comes in, shoots up the place and then just... is.

Happy Birthday Treadg--
>Remember when Curzefag got pregnant? I sure do, but I can't remember if Al or Uni is the father Sub-Edition
wtf?
>College starting date
Huh, we started a week agon.
I thought you were samefagging. We were lucky the third guy posted right before meatgrinder-guy
It reminded me of that time someone asked about how different Space Wolves were in 30k.

Thanks on this
That was my concern, I figured that despite more Flyers in 30k, the abundance of AA means won't last as long.
Is it worth adding Tank Hunter if running only Kraken? I assume I will rarely glance only, but not sure. So don't upgrade it with other weapons like Autocannon/Multilaser/Missile Launcher then?

>What makes the remaining 18 more special?
More like, what made those two worthy of an edict of Obliteration?
As in, not even the traitors identities were purged from Imperial history. Sure, they are still around while the missing legions are not, but we're talking about an empire where the Inquisition can supress the truth about daemons with enough effectiveness.

Hell, not even Horus or Lorgar themselves would speak about their missing brothers, even after going full traitor.

>So don't upgrade it with other weapons like Autocannon/Multilaser/Missile Launcher then?

There's better places to get volume of fire, like the fire raptor or just support squads.

>the Inquisition can supress the truth about daemons with enough effectiveness.

But they do, don't they? I seem to recall that full details about who turned traitor during the Heresy is not revealed to the masses and Horus mostly carries the infamy of rebelling against the Emperor.

Also, it's easier to make one of your armies disappear vs. half of your empire and their warmaster, as well as deny anything happened and the Emperor's merely resting. Did they even purge the info during the Heresy or did the archives merely get buried deeper and deeper until they were completely lost?

>never meant to last
Proof?

I needed something to grab the attention.
Oh they still have records. Also there is a fear of marines on Terra in the modern 40k, and it's going to be hard to keep something like the Siege on the down low.

Finished up my WE Contemptor-Cortus. Also tried for once to have a decent background, I still need to figure out lighting in my place. Chaos Dread chainfist best chainfist.

What makes Marines different from thunder warriors or any other thing the Emperor has created to fulfill his plans?

The primarchs were trying to convince the Emperor that they're not just weapons of war, that they can serve other functions and their legions can still serve.

nice to see more White Scars players

>Get in line, Rampagers should have been 100pts right from the start.
Rampagers should have just been given special rules or something to boost them.
>Rampagers get furious charge
relatively cheap unit with 40 str 6 attacks
>Rampagers get rampage
Up to 80 rending attacks or 70 str 6 attacks in a fairly compact unit
>Rampagers get WS 5
Hitting marines on a 3+ is pretty nice especially with relatively cheap access to heavy chainswords

I mean I agree they should be cheaper too but their current rules are just extremely bland. Giving them rampage or furious charge would at least add some flavour to them beyond being a unit whose only purpose is to carry legion unique weapons that aren't even good.

I would have added some actual wear on the model. Get some metallic paint and add some areas where it looks like the paint was scuffed off or started peeling, maybe some dirt or grime too. Right now it looks too clean like they just finished polishing him and they decided to just rub blood all over him.

I suppose I don't really have a comeback for that.

Hmm, yea, good idea. I'll have to look into that

>dem bloody knees

Death, huh?

do you use sponges for blood

They were less insane, biologically immortal, and that picture explains it all right there. He needed them to become space cops.

Your bloodstains concentrate on the edges, as if someone had wiped them off onto the dread from a mop or so...

Blood splatter distributes itself differently.

>They were less insane

Yeah, only half of them turned on you.

>biologically immortal

Proof?

>He needed them to become space cops.

Do point me the word "need". You don't just line them all up and shoot them in the back of the head by the side of a long ditch carved on some dead planet's surface. In time the remaining Marines would die and fade into obscurity.

With most of the threats dealt with, just take all the crap Marines have and give it to human forces. Bam, there's your next defenders of the realm. All the response time and equipment of the Marines without 10 years of genetic manipulation.

I flick it from a drybrush. Not sure I'm doing it quite right though, since as pointed out it starts grouping at the edges and it seems more of it gets on my thumb than the model.

I'm not too sure on which legion specific is the best one, but Rampagers are undoubtedly one of the worst, and they should fix them.
Weaponmaster vets are cheaper both per squad and per mini, and get access to power weapons, while getting WS5. Furious Charge was getter, but it's gone now.
Rampagers get access to exchange both their chainaxe AND pistol (bye +1A) for a shitty caedere weapon.

Rampagers get mobility: Scouting Jump pack units, costing 50pts for a min squad. Not like 10 Sniper Vets can't outflank in their 35pts Rhino, though.

I find it funny Rampagers don't have Rampage, but given FC was eliminated, probably the new Legion Specific Army book will fix their cost, fix Caedere (how? IDK), and give them Rampage, and Furious Charge.

Maybe some other rule too. Zealot?

I think I'm forgetting something.

The heresy was never meant to happen, user. All of the insanity was never meant to be.
>Proof
Horus Rising mentioned Loken would live forever until he dies in combat.
>Do point me the word "need". You don't just line them all up and shoot them in the back of the head by the side of a long ditch carved on some dead planet's surface. In time the remaining Marines would die and fade into obscurity.
>With most of the threats dealt with, just take all the crap Marines have and give it to human forces. Bam, there's your next defenders of the realm. All the response time and equipment of the Marines without 10 years of genetic manipulation.
The Primarchs probably wouldn't take too kindly to that.

>The Primarchs probably wouldn't take too kindly to that.
>WE WOULD TAKE EITHER GLADLY IF IT MEANT OUR LORD WALKED AMONG MEN ONCE MORE
Guilliman did think about an "after-endgame" for the Legiones Astartes, and Dorn would have obeyed.
But yes, many would have rebelled.

>The heresy was never meant to happen, user.

But it did. Thus the Marines are not perfect. Hell, the primarchs were never meant to get snatched by Chaos either. The whole project was held together by luck, duct tape and faith.

>The Primarchs probably wouldn't take too kindly to that.

Which they didn't. Which is why some tried to convince the Emperor they're not mere tools and can offer more, and why some of them rebelled, because they didn't see a future in the Imperium for them.

Which is why you would have given them something to do and slowly eased them into obscurity. Make them patrol the border and do raids. Then policing. Then garrison duty. And by the end they're so neutered that when they're finally snuffed out, they have barely any fight left in them. Primarchs can have "accidents".

The Emperor did not live 38,000 years of human history and influence and even act as some of its key players by being Good Guy Greg. You don't come up with a plan to turn children into brainwashed super-soldiers to fight your wars for you out of the goodness of your heart.

Use these. You get a more realistic finish.

The whole idea that the Emperor was going to do away with the legions and his own children is stupid. It is nothing more than a fear that the Chaos Gods exploited to ensnare Horus, and will only be that. There would be Necrons, Hrud, everything from the godless Halo/Ghoul Stars, and everything else in the universe out for blood that a force like marines would be needed to tackle. Forgotten Apocalypse and Pale Wastings anyone?

Cool.
So only use the 2 hardpoints then.
Is it worth paying the 15pts for Tank Hunter or the +1 Armour?

>because they didn't see a future in the Imperium for them.
Heresy happened because Lorgar wanted something to bown to, after being raised so by his priestly dad.
Horus wasn't happy that the predecesor of the Administratum was run by mortal men, but based Ferrus rightly said the Astartes were beyond the petty concerns of mortal men.

>Let muh warriors rule
Warriors are made for war, nothing more! Marines still had to win the galaxy by scouring all xenos life in it, and then mankind would STILL not win yet, because they'd be under the threat of extra-galactic life forms (Tyranids) and not-alive forms (Necrons)

That's the "something to do", In this galaxy there is only war.
Such it was.
Such it will be.

And even after that HYPOTHETICAL "after we win" scenarion, Guilliman already had very reasonable plans for it!

which primarchs are missing from FW and in which order will they come to us?

>There would be Necrons, Hrud, everything from the godless Halo/Ghoul Stars, and everything else in the universe out for blood that a force like marines would be needed to tackle. Forgotten Apocalypse and Pale Wastings anyone?

Everything from the Ghoul and Halo Stars is a godless abomination. And isn't the Eastern Fringe somewhat unexplored?

I'm torn between the gun metal look of the iron warriors and the crisp, regal purple and pinks of the Emperor's Children. As a compromise, would it be possible like those early IF pictures for them to have the mainly metallic look with limbs or shoulder pads purple? Would it look good, or should I just go all the way with one of them?

You got the Army for that. By the End of the Heresy they were taking the offensive independent of the Marines. Solar Auxilia were second only to the Marines in their performance. Give them your power armour, your land raiders and predators, your bolters and gunships.

No, they won't be as good as Marines, but good enough. You think without the Marines, post-Crusade Imperium would be just 40k Imperium without Marines? They also have more reason to fight for humanity than transhuman monsters because they belong to them.

user, you know you wish to be one of the Lord of Iron's Warriors.

It would be like reverse pic related in MkII, so it'd be nice.