/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Best Edition Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old Thread
Pic source: blog.roll20.net/post/148840854540/the-orr-group-industry-report-q2-2016

jesus fuck, stay away from my party's arcane trickster, I could just see him pulling this shit

what's pathfinder anyways? is it just a mod of 3.5e?

A studio that wrote some stuff for 3.5e took the open license parts of the system, added and changed some things, then released it as their own brand. 4e wasn't that well-received at the time so 3.5e players made their rebranded system pretty successful.

>less than 10% share for star wars, wod, and shadowrun combined

That's always disappointing. I wish I wasn't trapped in this edition.

It's less a plugin and more a revised edition of the entire rules, like 3.75. A few things were fixed, but many other things just got worse. Example: they wanted to make the classes more balanced, so they gave fighters and rogues extra class features... and they also gave clerics and wizards extra class features, much better than the ones fighters and rogues get. Sort of one step forward, three steps back.

Question: I have a race in a homebrew setting that is basically an Artificial Intelligence. One key component of their fluff is that they don't die easy. Most deaths result in some data loss, but they survive in the Net and can be re-downloaded into a new body as soon as the party makes it back to civilized space or an open connection.

How can I mechanically best cover that? How OP is technical immortality? Would a corruption/data-loss mechanic balance such a thing out?

It's a bit worse for them because they can only get Wizard spells and the highest they're going to get is Leomund's Tiny Hut and Water Breathing..at like level 11 and 17.

but... it doesn't work

is technically correct. It wouldn't work because Ritual Caster's copy rules say that you need to find it in *written* form, such as scroll or wizard's spellbook, not that you can copy a ritual spell you know to the ritual book.

Well, the new body should probably cost something, maybe the cost of the appropriate . As for the data loss, either let them roleplay it out or come up with a table they can roll on, maybe a d100 table. "Forget an old friend," "forget your current quest objective," "forget an important secret," that sort of thing.

Not really OP, it's not that different from making a new character with the same build.

Getting a new body can be an issue, or a benefit, depending on what Str/Dex/Con the available bodies have.

cost of the appropriate raise dead spell's components*

from last thread, I'm replying to >>I guess I wasn't clear, I am the DM, and I was trying to think of some ideas for interactions between the dragon and him. The Abier sounds interesting. I'll have to take another look at the SCAG to learn more about Dragonborn.

You could draw inspiration from previous editions and let them come back at a lower experience level than before, to represent the data loss. However, players will be rather reluctant to use this.

If you want something a little less brutal that players might actually use, you could waive the material components on spells that raise them from the dead, since their souls don't go to the Outer Planes but rather to the magical internet.

A cost to represent the new body, I'd say.

Raise dead and such doesn't work, but they can be revived at any time if one can afford a replacement body.

Make replacement body 300 or more gp. Or don't, I'm not your real dad

that clause regards learning spells you don't know by head without looking at a page, for spell casting you don't know by head that requires you to look at the page.

You are transcribing it from the notes in your head to the notes in the paper, much like the notes in one paper to another. It's all just the translation of meanings from object into concepts, in which the middle man is cut, because when you're a bard or an AT, your spellbook is your memory.

After that, you're free to forget the spell and become reliant on your copies of the page, because you've erased your original mind book

I like the idea of a table. I have at least one roleplay-impaired player who would like the guidance a table could bring.

Not sure how to go about the Str/Dex/Con thing. I try to keep mechanics simple, and modifying stats like that would be tricky. I don't want AI characters to off themselves just to upgrade to a better body, as much sense as that would make sometimes.

I also like this. Especially as a plot hook. Party can't afford to get a new body for their AI? No problem! There's always a shady loan shark hanging around with very "reasonable" interest rates.

The first option is a little too brutal, I agree. But the second seems too easy.

>not my real dad
Says you.

No, the rule I'm referring to is how you can get more spells for your ritual book from the feat.

How broken would it be if I allowed casters in my group to maintain concentration on more than one spell at a time if

> Make a concentration check when they cast the new spell. DC equals 8 + combined level of spells.
> Each round they make a concentration check to maintain both spells. DC equals 8 + combined level of spells + number of rounds since the second spell was cast.
> Limit 2 spells
> Still make concentration check when they take damage, otherwise both spell effects end.

More potentially exploitable and complicated than it's worth.

That might be the letter of the law, but not the spirit of it.

You do "run across" those scrolls, when you learn them through your bardic class. You're constantly running across them, and looking at them, and reading them, because they're already perfectly conceptualized, in your mind.

It's like saying you have learned the "along came a spider" lymeric from divine inspiration with god like clarity, but you can't write down the lyrics, because even though it is seared into your brain like a fiery brand, and you're entirely proficient in the skills, since you've never seen it written down somewhere else before and so you are powerless to act.

It's the entire reason why it costs so much time and money to copy a spell scroll, and why you can't just rob another wizard's spell book and cast it from his directly.
You have to read his notes, and then write your notes from it, in a way that makes sense to your mind
With bardic spell acquirement, good news, IT'S ALREADY IN IT.

It doesn't work (well) because you can only exchange one spell each level.

To the guy talking about Gestalt in the last thread, what are the full rules for it? Is it literally just gain 2 levels at every level?

PLEASE PEOPLE STOP RESPONDING TO THIS (shit) TROLL

bad idea mate

There aren't rules for it in 5e, not officially anyway.

What happens in this situation:

> Cast polymorph on a monster / NPC
> Turn them into harmless creature (toad, rat, earthworm)
> Put them in extradimensional space (bag of holding, rope trick space, etc.)
> Drop concentration

What happens next?

Not saying it lets you bypass the cost, but it's high and mighty bullshit to say you can't write down your notes for a spell you know that can later be copied by another spell caster do write down your notes that he didn't knew onto his notes to cast a spell that he didn't know, but HOWEVER you can write down a spell that somebody ELSE knows, even though already knew it to begin with.

Things are going to get a little more broken because concentration is really hard to break as it is. I would suggest also reducing the caster's speed, making them a sitting duck, so they REALLY decide if they want to duel-concentrate or not.

the monster turns back into whatever it was before you cast polymorph on it, in the extradimensional space you put it in while it was polymorphed.
in a bag of holding, it can either try to escape or just chill there. it says if its ripped or what have you the bag breaks and spills everything out. a monster can likely do that to a bag of holding, but its up to your dm.
rope trick, as long as it can fit it can just jump out the window back into whatever plane you're on. if its too big, i would just rule it gets shunted out of the rope trick space as it transforms back.

What's wrong with the second? It still requires a spellcaster with the right kind of spell known or prepared, so it guarantees that nobody's getting raised earlier than normal. And other debilitating effects on the spellcaster and the raised target would still apply. Honestly, gold is the least important hindrance when casting a spell like this, since there's not much else to spend gold on anyway.

Yeah, nah. At the very most I can see a certain concentration spell effect becoming more persistent, as a class feature or powerful magical item. But outright doubling what a caster can maintain is too much.

On a somewhat related note, I think you can cast a concentration spell while another is up, getting its effects for that round and not losing the previous because you don't actually switch to the other one. Hardly worth it, but eh.

>and spills everything out
*INTO THE ASTRAL PLANE by the way
same as if the monster overloads the bag (i.e. weighs more than 500 lbs)

>What's wrong with the second
I like the idea of requiring buying a new body is all.

We actually killed an Illithid by turning him into a gold fish and throwing him into a bag of holding.

One of my PC's wants to multiclass as a Wizard/Rogue because of his silly character background Narutard who became a wizard exclusively due to the fact that he reached age 30 without having sex
I'm aware that sneak attack doesn't work for cantrips, but do y'all think that a homebrew feat that permits sneak attack bonuses on spells- or even just cantrips- would break the game?

Just have him use Booming Blade or GFB

Why did he not just pick Arcane Trickster? If I remember correctly they get a feature like that anyway.

>that background

He can use a crossbow or he can use one of the melee cantrips from SCAG (BB and GFB).

They don't. They did in 3.PF, I believe.

>be caster
>+5 to spell attack roll
>keep rolling 6's and 5's
>mfw wasting spells when it really matters

My dice hate me

So I typically try not to be a cheesing powergamer fag but I've heard nothing but bad things about Monks.

Is there a cheesy way to make them "viable" without homebrewing? Certain Feats or whatever?

You've heard nothing but bad things, but haven't tried it and aren't a cheesing powergamer fag.

Just play a monk if you want to play a monk. Go Open Hand if you want to dim mak, or shadow if you want to ninja.

Are the adventures in the OP mega any good? I've never done an AL game, but I'm getting burned out on homebrew adventures and want to run something different for my players that isn't one of the mainline adventures (EE, POTA, HOTDQ etc).

LMoP and CoS are both real good.

So, out of the dozens and dozens of AL adventures, the only ones ever suggest are LMoP and CoS (outside of the ones I mentioned).

Are all the other ones just garbo?

They stunning fist, and have really good saves, and that's what they do well. People complain because they want to do as much damage as the GWM fighter. They're possibly a bit MAD, but if you roll for stats and you get good monk stats (16 dex/wis, alright con) then that's remedied. Open Hand is best because it makes you better at monk things, shadow is cool and not bad at all but still makes you spend ki on other things, and 4e is shit because it has tons of bad ways to spend ki. That's about what I can make of the situation, anyway. I've only played a monk once and never got to high level.

literally nothing wrong with monks.

Make it so that their data has a chance to get corrupted each time they die. That chance increases for each death. If they fail the save for corruption, they receive permanent INT/WIS/CHA penalties that can't be undone in any way.

If they succeed, they have to make a synch check with the new body. This also gets more difficult with each different body. Eventually, when they fail, the body gets permanent STR/DEX/CON penalties in the same way.

Having something like this makes a big incentive not to die. Otherwise, they're just going to do whatever they want in any combat situation because there's no real consequence other than going through the motions of getting a new body.

No class in 5e is so bad that they're not viable. Even the Beast Master Ranger is viable. Stop listening to what everybody says and play how you want.

Yes, there are some lackluster classes, but everything is at least capable of filling their role in the party.

He already classed as a wizard a while ago because he thought the illusion tree would be hilarious It is

That's a good idea, I might homebrew a little bit so that it works for a package of darts shurikens

Other PCs dying is literally just 300 gold in diamonds down the drain so I don't see how they are that different.

Aren't darts a ranged weapon that uses dex? It already works for them.

Don't know if you can booming blade/GFB with darts though, or any thrown weapon. The spell has a range of 5 feet after all.

Alright that seems decent overall, I'd like to think I can rely on other party members to take advantage of setting up attacks.

Would a Goliath Monk make a good Grappler or does grappling not count for how the monk's dex punches work? I'll admit I haven't really looked at the Monk page much, I've simply not played one before so that's why I'm interested now.

That's why you have to hold the wind shuriken and smack them in the face with it.
> It all makes sense now.

1) That's only Raise Dead, which only works within 10 days.
2) You need a body for that.
3) You get annoying penalties to your stats until you rest for at least 4 days.
4) True Resurrection, which is basically what he's trying to do with this data download thing, has a 25,000 gold cost and is a 9th spell.
5) You're comparing a 5th level spell to a 9th level spell.
6) He's trying to get the benefits of a 9th level spell from Level 1.
7) You're dumb.

if it's going to be a big ass shuriken you could probably find a better expy for it than darts.

really though if your character wants to be a ninja just make them a monk.

Grappling is, if not the opposite, at least diagonal from what monks are about. High speed dragging (up walls!) is cool, but you don't want to try and tank too much. Plus their skill check for itk is generally weaker.

How do most drunks usually handle DnD? I know each one is unique, but I was looking for some stories/experiences.

Anyone have good reincarnate stories?

Yeah that's why I was going to go with Goliath since they have
>"Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift."
which I would assume includes carrying little goblins around and +2 to STR.

I suppose I could make a fistfighting Barbarian instead though since I still haven't played one, or even go Barbarian/Monk multiclass.

Open Hand monk eventually gains immunity to poison, can he no longer become drunk?

This is true. Sneak attacks are cool and all, but the monk tree is probably just objectively better
I remember mentioning that a non-illusion tree would have been much better for stealth narutard jokes and he just responded with
>Naruto
>Anything but stealthy

I haven't run any of the others, so I don't know.

hes always high of life

RAW yes.

>Don't know if you can booming blade/GFB with darts though, or any thrown weapon. The spell has a range of 5 feet after all.
technically this AND they specify a melee attack.
and letting him just do it anyway would be slightly game breaking because that makes those cantrips WAYYYY Better than other ranged damage cantrips.
but then again whatever. let him take a feat or something is what i would say...

You can still have the penalties, not that they are particularly important ( you cant revive these guys in a dungeon, so you have free time to rest since you are back in civilization). I have never known the time or body constraints to have any factor at all among my players. Gentle repose exists and is a ritual spell, and that's closet to what's happening here. So in short

You are confusing a 9th level spell and a 2nd level spell.
You are a fucking retard.

Low int wizard: I know you can get by early on when everyone kind of sucks but how well does it work at middle levels? (10-13)

>Low int wizard
why.png

>tfw I'm dm
>I could declare it to be a magical immunity that only resists poisons intentionally crafted to harm
>I'd still feel shitty

>Gentle repose exists and is a ritual spell, and that's closet to what's happening here.
No, it's not. He wants to be able to download his soul into a new body. That means that, no matter what happened to the old body, he can just find a new one and download his soul from "the Internet."

Disintegration? Who cares.
Body fell into a volcano? Who cares.
Act like a completely reckless goon and body falls into a wood chipper? Who cares. None of that matters because my party can just go into town and bring me back to life for nothing. As long as one person in the party lives, we all come back for free.

Normally, only a spell like True Resurrection would help in a situation like that. Gentle Repose just keeps a body fresh long enough for you to cast Raise Dead on it. It doesn't bring a body back to life. So, you use a 2nd level spell to keep an intact body fresh long enough to use a 5th level spell.

So, once again, you're a complete moron who doesn't even know how basic spells work.

>So, once again, you're a complete moron who doesn't even know how basic spells work.
/thread

When is the last time one of your players fell into a volcano? Or was disintegrated? It's such a fringe case that you shouldn't call a feature powerful for being able to avoid it.

I will concede my point if you have ever been destroyed by a volcano in game. Maybe it comes up more often than I thought.

Not that it matters at all since by the time that shit becomes a threat you can do things like chopping off your pinky and saving it and doing fabricate/stone to flesh cheese or the like

So I'm going to start a new campaign this weekend, there is:

1x Paladin/Half-Elf
1x Barbarian/Goliath
1x Tiefling/Warlock
1x Not sure which race/Wizard
1x Not sure which race/Cleric

I want to run a very brutal campaign, and I was thinking in put a Eternal Flame Guardian as their first oponent, do you guys think that it will be easy or hard? The exp table says that is a hard encounter but from my experience numbers > strenght in 5e.

I mean...Monk vs Rogue is a hard comparison. Rogues definitely will do more damage but Monks have great team support capabilities (especially way of the shadow with pass without trace for when your whole team of plate wearing dick heads needs to sneak) and stunning strike.

Rogues do too though, I guess, with their skills and the illusions/enchantments from Arcane Trickster. It's a tough call.

Pay for the new shell.
Pay for their brain storage in "the cloud".
Make sure you're keeping track of when they last backed themselves up.
Have one of the PCs get hacked.

Halp. 4 hours out from DMing a session for my group. Left them in a situation I do not want to deal with anymore that is kind of super boring. What should I do to shake things up? Dragon attack? Giants? Dragons riding giants?

Make their best buddy NPC betray them.

>Eternal Flame Guardian
what

half-dragon giant

which half is dragon?

>Or was disintegrated?
Are you seriously using that as a rebuttal? "When was the last time you were killed by this 5th level spell that is designed to kill you dead and specifically put in the game to introduce players to the idea of potentially being dead forever?"

There are countless ways to die without being able to get your body back. Hell, if your body just falls into a crevice and can't be retrieved, that means you can't be revived until late game. So, you need to make a new character.

The reason why True Resurrection has a huge gold cost and is a 9th level spell is to make death an actual punishment. Until you reach that point, being brought back to life is a huge pain in the ass unless you were killed in combat and the enemy was nice enough to not just whack off your head. Dying should be a huge detriment to the party and to yourself.

The pointy bits

Sorry, it's a 6th level spell. My mistake.

This guy

oh. it wont be terribly interesting, just attacking back and forth so idk. add some interesting environmental features or something is my advice.

Typically, it would be that you gained the HP of the best class, all class features of both including two sets of spell slots(except maybe you'd only gain the ASIs of one class, fighter having priority over others because of their extras), skill proficiencies of both, and save proficiencies of both. Equipment would probably be decided by gold, not equipment options, and you'd only get one background, and you'd only have the one proficiency bonus(you'd start with a +2 bonus, not +4).

That's the rough homebrew rules for gestalt.

pretty sure a lv 1 party would get murked, but maybe they're crafty players so who knows.

It suffocates in 10 minutes.

It will be a kidnaped kid turned into this guy.

I think that will be hard, maybe 1 or 2 may die, but I think that it wouldn't be a TPK

>>BTW: When a character die in your campaign do you guys allow the player create a new character with the same level or do you guys give some penalty?

I used to tend towards the first but I have found that XP penalties bring only good things to the table. Death is meaningful, players actively fear it, and new characters take on an apprentice role until they catch up which creates for a much more natural party dynamic.

If you're putting them up against something that you think is going to kill just "one or two" of them why the fuck would you punish them for dying.

Don't punish your players for dying in the first place. Dying is already it's own punishment.

Which kind of penalty do you give? A level? More than that?

i let them start lower at first, but eventually catch them up. though death is welcome in any campaign, being permanently under leveled compared to the rest of the party isn't very fun

I'm not sure if I'll punish, I'm asking how do you guys do this.

>>>BTW: When a character die in your campaign do you guys allow the player create a new character with the same level or do you guys give some penalty?
i read some guy i think on a different thread say he starts new characters at the lowest level for the tier the party is in.

ie if the pary is all level 8 and someone dies, he starts them at level 5, the beginning of tier 2.

Don't. Being shittier than the rest of the party sucks enough as is.