Stranger Things and D&D

Dungeons & Dragon's seems to be a key element throughout the show. Now based on my experiences with D&D I have some questions that I think could be helpful to understanding the story:

1. Which edition are they playing?

2. What are the boy's classes?

3. El is repeatedly called "a wizard" but at the end is referenced as "the lost knight". Is she a Paladin, Eldritch Knight, Arcane-Trickster? Oath Breaker?

3. Will can cast protection spells and fireball? Is Will multi-classed? A Warlock (pact with the monster)

4. If we think of each (important) character as if they were in D&D what role/class/etc. are they? Who is the healer?

5. Who is that "THAT GUY" in the campaign?

6. Who is the rogue that screws the whole party?

7. Murder Hobo?

8. Lastly, throughout the season I kept getting the nagging feeling of a Necromancer pulling strings and I just couldn't shake it. Anyone else?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/demogorgon-prince-demons
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Murderhobo/rogue is the black kid for sure, given that fucked fight he had with loverboy over Eleven that ended with the party splitting.

They're play Call of Cthulhu

They're all commoners except El, who has levels in Psychic and Hopper who has some kind of fighter/ gunslinger mix

The older brother is that guy because he stops searching for his missing brother to take Nude pictures of random high-schoolers

And I guess El is the closest to murder hobo because she's the only party member to kill people?

>THAT GUY
Will for sure.
Fucked up against the Demogorgon then "went missing", effectively cancelling all their planned future sessions because he couldn't handle defeat.

OP: no no no, Will went out swinging trying to protect the party. I'd die for a party member like that

No version of D&D requires a roll to cast a spell. Idk if they put that in to prevent any legal troubles or because they actually don't know how D&D works, but based on what we see in the show, they ain't playing D&D.

OP: btw I think might be the last Veeky Forums community that is actually a community

Answer to all these questions
There ten years old, when your ten you tend to just have fun and not adhere to the rules to much, or even editions for that matter.
Fucking thistle hydras man

OP: roll to hit

A couple things that bug me:

1. shouldn't it just be Demogorgon, not THE Demogorgon

2. Say they're playing AD&D - wouldn't the target have to save vs the fireball rather than having Will roll for it

I mean obviously it's just a TV show so I wasn't exactly expecting it to be spot on, if D&D is gonna be a major element, they should get it right!

Frank Mentzer's Expert Set of the Basic Dungeons and Dragons line.

Mike - Palladin. Dustin - Bard. Will - Rogue. Lucas - Ranger. El - Wizard

El wasn't the lost knight, but the proud princess. Hopper was the lost knight. The creature/the weird growths in the upside down are the flowers on the cave wall.

Will's character was a Wizard. The Warlock class as we know it didn't exist until D&D 3.5, this was 1983 and we clearly learned he was playing a Wizard.

Surprisingly they have no healer, because they ganked Benny first.

There was no That Guy, and yet there was more than one. Mike's dad. Steve. Will's brother.

Hopper when he serves El to the spooks to get a shot at saving Will.

No one was a Murder Hobo. The spooks had homes.

The closest to filling that Narrative Role was Doctor Douchebag who set events rolling, though less a necromancer and more an ambitious mad scientist who opened the door to things man was not meant to know.

Nope, no version requires a roll to cast or to hit with spells, certainly not with fireball that is an AoE spell.

I'm pretty sure they namecheck it at least once

OP: the writers and maybe the show runners are really making the game. the kids are just playing.

Normies think "D&D" is a general term applying to any rpg.

I'm guessing sneak attack or something. It's THE because it's THE BBEG

OP: Damn...............Just damn.............
You are the living example of a quality post

WAT.......... literally every DM i've ever me has had us roll to hit for spells that arent self cast or something

He was houseruling then, because no such rule exists.

OP: this was me but I forgot to add OP: so you're telling me that a wizard can hide out at max distance, fire a spell at a target that is currently running into the thick forest and it is guaranteed to hit?

Yes.

Additionally: This kind of thing is why most gamers abandon D&D in favor of better games at some point.

OP: then for now on I will always DM with house rules cuz that's bullshit

OP:

Just play a better game.

OP: Any suggestions outside of COD?

OP: I'm a huge faggot who doesn't get how Veeky Forums works

GURPS is good for beginners.

OP: you're so edgy friendo

How about you stop putting OP: in front of your words, we don't need to know that you're the OP to have a discussion, it's not relevant, it shouldn't be there, and it makes some of us -myself included- irritated and less likely to respond thoughtfully

Here's a protip: If you must tell us you're OP in every post (and there's no reason to do so), then put it in the name field.

I like /tg besause it's a community of people who help each other and enjoy playing games. NOT for shitposting and EDGE. I can find plenty of that with the summer fags on /b

sorry about that, I'm so used to people like who pretend to be OP/me

I'll just post like normal from now one.

check

but if Will is a rouge how can he cast at all. let alone Protection or Fireball?

In earlier editions, rogues could cast spells from scrolls. But there was still no casting roll as such, just a 10% chance of a miscast because the rogue has limited understanding.

well I honestly had not clue. that makes rouges kinda fucking powerful

...WILL IS A ROGUE. As a person in terms of what they are best represented by not what they fucking play you dumbfuck. You asked the boys classed, not what they are playing.

Will was clearly playing a wizard, but as a person he was quickest on his feet, fast to hide and go to ground, and smart enough to go to a weapon when danger was near.

Lucas was the one who broke off on his own, standoffish and skilled with the modern bow of adolescence IE the Slingshot.

Dustin knew esoterica and was the best at talking things through and convincing others. Bard.

Mike, though the DM of the table was quick to decide and then routed in his view of what was right and wrong about the adventure he found himself in. Paladin.

We don't know enough outside the drawings will was doing what Lucas and Dustin were actually playing. Learn to watch and dissect your media for the answers that were already there in your face and learn some god fucking damn worthwhile communication skills so you can type the question you fucking mean. Lurk fucking more you feckless fuck.

Jesus fucking fuck!

The only book I could see looked like a 1e AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide to me.
(When I was a kid we played Basic. AD&D was for the older nerds, because it was full of complicated rules and shit)

They are constrained, in 2nd edition and in 3.0/3.5, by the risk of misfiring when they do so and it blowing up in their face mixed with the rarity or access to such a resource as scrolls are disposable arcana.

Yeah but Demogorgon is a proper name.

If the BBEG's name was John, you wouldn't say "Watch out! The John is going to attack you!"

How have you guys never heard of a melee/ranged touch attack? They're required for a number of ray and debuff spells. Magic missiles stands out becauwe you DON'T have to roll to hit.

Rogues were extremely weak in early editions, they had a tiny number of hit points, they couldn't use the best armor (or shields for some reason), and their thieves abilities were made irrelevant by wizards.
>gee you want to spend an hour searching the chest for traps? Don't bother, I'll just use my Knock spell.
>You want to climb the fortress walls to sneak in? Don't bother, I'll cast "Fly"
>You want to use your Hide in Shadows to maneuver behind the badguy and backstab him? Don't bother, I cast "Fireball"

Was Demogorgon described as unique in the original bestiary, though?

The show is set in the 80's, so your 4e and 5e shit is irrelevant. Fireball is also not a touch range spell, for obvious reasons.

Yes.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/demogorgon-prince-demons

> Demogorgon was a spectacular foe from the start. Though devotees of Orcus might disagree, Eldritch Wizardry suggested that Demogorgon might be “supreme” among demons. He definitely was supremely weird, with a reptilian body, tentacled limbs, and a pair of baboon heads! When he returned in 1977 in the Monster Manual for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, he was bestowed with the title “Prince of Demons” and a hatred of Orcus, creating a long-standing enmity between the two.

Is this show the new True Detective?

Copied from the 3.5 SRD. This was also present in 3.0, obviously.
"Sometimes a character’s or creature’s unarmed attack counts as an armed attack. A monk, a character with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, a spellcaster delivering a touch attack spell, and a creature with natural physical weapons all count as being armed."

I'm clearly not saying that Will should have rolled for the Fireball. 3.0 was printed in 2000, and as previously mentioned Fireball doesn't require a roll in any edition I know of. I was just correcting the statement that a caster NEVER has to roll to cast any spell.

You know you can put OP in the name field if you insist on namefagging?

They don't roll to cast the spell, they roll to see if they managed to touch the target. D&D has never had rolls for actually casting spells, magic-users always cast perfectly.

Oh, that's the argument we've been having? Well shit.

You may be trolling, but it actually is a decent game for beginners. I'm playing a game with 2 people who have been playing GURPS with me for years and a newcomer who has only ever played DND 5e. We started the first session with ultra-lite rules and have been slowly adding in things as we play.

Example: First session in order to hit with guns, they just rolled against their skill.
We about to be playing the third session and I will be introducing the Bulk, Accuracy, and All-Out-Attack rules.

Nobody bought grapple skills for the first session and almost everybody died to a horde of zombie-daemons holding them down.

Did nobody else notice they weren't actually playing D&D? They are playing a game Called Dungeon! that has familiar enough but not exact approximations of D&D so they can avoid copyright law. Trying to actually figure out what they were playing as is completely pointless.

We'll know if it goes to shit in season 2.

The appearance of Dungeon! was for flavor, their teacher had one because he's awesome. Dungeon! is a real boardgame made by TSR. (You can play it online with Vassal, though I hear it's not all that good as boardgames go.)

If you look closely you can see they have what looks to be a DMG for AD&D in one scene.