Codex Deathwatch

Now that we have the codex in our hands is anyone up for some discussion and rules breakdown ? The mixed-units formations seem to garner the most controversy.

The new shotgun is cool with three firing modes for different application but it doesn't seem to compare to the basic bolter with all the special ammunition ?

well you can have both the Bolter and the shotgun so why not just do that? they have one of the best fliers in the game and a solid mix between formations and actual units seems strong. The relics are pretty great, the snipers are great, the frag cannons, heavy flamer/hbolter wombo combo, and terminator options are excellent.

I wonder, if you can take a drop pod as a dedicated transport for the Veterans in a formation, can you put the other units from the formation like bikes and Terminators into the drop pod with them at deployment ?

They form one unit.

The shotgun is classified as a special weapon and the list says that you have to swap in your bolter for one of the special weapons.

The flyer and relics beside the beacon seem meh, but the frag cannon is very solid (4 of them will probably be a good anti-monster and gargantuan creature counter) and the bolter/flamer is cool.

honestly codex deathwatch sounds like they are testing out how it would be to present a single force of spacemarines like they did the stormcast. deathwatch might infact be "what space marines are" in the universe for afue years now" the paintjobs matter less to people these days its the rules and ideas of 'whats ok" deathwatch fix all of that you can build what you want much like blacksheilds in 30k which I'm sure in the next book or two might even start getting things like eldar weapons. if the fiction goes there which I think it will.

frankly deathwatch is spacemarines 2.0. this release shows how much GW is willing to shake things up so I think its time we admit we are in a era of mark8 errant power armor and the deathwatch is how most people will want to play spacemarines for a good time now.

could you post the epub file please.

the shotgun replaces your bolter but you can replace your ccw with another bolter. also useful for if you want a special or heavy weapons trooper to have versatility.

it's special ammo all the way down, baby

So according to this if i understand, i can have an army dual wielding bolters running around shredding infantry?

Fuggin' seconded.

Help your proletarian brothers, anons.

Technically you can take 2 Deathwatch shotguns, can you gunslinger with them? Because that would be pretty damn cool if you could.

Or dual stormbolters, how does that work?

They are not Pistols, so sadly not.

Wait, DW don't have True Grit? So SW can use Bolters as CCW and gunslinger but DW can't?

Please tell me DW can at least dual pistol..

Because somehow GW doesn't want anyone to do dual Stormbolter even though it's less effective than dual plasma pistol...

Don't suppose anyone has a pdf for those who can't get the codex right away?

Speaking of storm bolters, while do they keep getting shafted ? They made it so the special ammunition can be used with bolt pistols, bolters and stalkers and made special heavy bolters but nothing for the storm bolters ? Shame.

is it just me or is deathwatch basically the new way to play spacemarines it kinda feels like they are going to do all chapters as theamed releases like this but over like multiples of years not editions like in the past.

Man, dual Stormbolter would be fantastic for Seraphim. The bolt pistols they current use are...less than stellar.

No epub yet, just the pdf with the photos.

> less effective than dual plasma pistol
Do they kill their user ? If not they're still more effective.

So what do you think about the Xenophase blade ? 25 points for a power sword that can only be taken by Veteran sergeants and a Captain. Probably good against Eldars, Dark Eldars and Necrons due to the low amount of 2+ compared to Inv saves they have but otherwise not worth it in my opinion.

Not bad against space marines either.

>Wait, DW don't have True Grit?
true grit isn't in this edition

the vast majority of things with an invuln that are space marines will have a 2+ save

Apparently lots of people have been trying to do the shotgun + bolter thing, since it is written in a way that allows it, so the rules team is going over it and will be making an FAQ or errata post about it soon. I wouldn't get to used to having both weapons at the same if following GW's rules.

So Combat Squad rule allows you only to separate only "normal" veteran squads,but not any of the Kill Teams?

I'll upload it as soon as someone uploads the Death Masque lore.

Does anybody have Tactical Objectives?
They are not in but GW site already has cards

You can't break up the formation kill teams, including the veteran teams in them.

So, is there any reason you'd want to use the Kill Team rules to make squads of mixed Tactical and Assault Marines or Tactical Marines and Bikers? They'd be limited to the speed of their slowest members, so you wouldn't be able to use their mobility to their best advantage.

One single vanguard vet is three points for a slightly better chance to get a toe into an assault and glorious intervention for your unit

You can only fire 1 weapon unless you have a special rule or are using 2 pistols for the gunslinger rule.

>Now that we have the codex in our hands
How fucking slow are you? We've had it for days