MTG LEGACY GENERAL

Backup deck edition.

Post your backup deck(s). What do you play when you want a break from your primary deck? Why play it?

Mine is mono black pox. It was the first legacy deck I ever built. Started without Lili and Wasteland, just a cheap-ass rack pox deck. Then I started building DDFT, and then picked up the Lilis and Wastes once I got a job. Now it's mostly a loaner deck, but it's fun to jam once in a while.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dead-already/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Here's the list.

Why not double sleeve your deck in some Dragonshields, user?

cause i took this picture a while back, before I learned the wisdom of double sleeving.

I just played the DDFT mirror match on MTGO. Any chance my opponent also frequents Veeky Forums?

Tourney guy here, we got 7 people last thread who would be interested, with a majority vote favoring Xmage. I'm away for the weekend but when I get back if the thread is still around I'll make a Challonge signup. Maybe having weekly tournaments to practice, play shitbrews, or whatever you want can generate some more interest in the format.

I missed the last thread but you can count me in as the eighth man.

I usually play cockatrice but would download xmage for the chance to duke it out against my fellow anons.

The question is: do I play a shitbrew or something actually competitive?

If I don't run force of will (semi-poorfag) in my reanimator shell, should I run faithless looting instead?

And by that effect, wouldn't that make daze a lot less consistent?

if you want to play reanimator without force, go the BR route with faithless looting and unmask. it's put up decent results online.

follow your heart, user

I voted no on the poll but i'I'd probably play. I just don't really like cockatrice/xmage. I put up with mtgo because it relatively consistently enforces the rules. I've had too many people try to cheat on me with cockatrice. Not that I think other fa/tg/guys would cheat.

Xmage has a rules engine and it only bugs out occasionally.

Do any of you Legacy guys use chinese fakes?
Where do you get the best ones from?

Xmage's rules engine doesn't have support for every card. A lot of legacy cards aren't supported.

I've played jank like Parfait on there and never had a problem. What cards aren't supported?

I'd love that

Great, when I get home I'll make a signup and we can get a final player tally. Now, I would guess most anons have differing schedules, so maybe I can post pairings then the anons contact each other, play, and confirm results. This way the anons can try to chose a platform they are both familiar with and find time within their schedules. The matches could be played over the course of a week and after we have a winner we can host another. Alternatively we can just agree on a few hour block of time to play.

Just play sanic speed BR reanimator and kill on T1 every game with Ten Drills.

Backup Deck:
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Lotus Petal
2 Expedition Map
3 Into the North
4 Crop Rotation
4 Not of This World
4 Sylvan Scrying
4 Thoughtseize
2 Duress
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Sylvan Library
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Sejiri Steppe
1 Snow-Covered Forest
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
2 Bayou
4 Dark Depths
4 Thespian's Stage
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
SB: 3 Pithing Needle
SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
SB: 4 Chalice of the Void
SB: 1 Karakas
SB: 1 Maze of Ith

I played a modified version of that when my shop started doing no-ban modern events. I 6-0d two weeks in a row and then people didn't want to play the format anymore. If buy into it in legacy of I hadn't already committed to force of will decks.

The deck is bonkers and nobody expects it at all. I'm really liking it, it's the only shell that's more consistent than the blue cantrip cartel: why run 8 cantrips when you can just run 13 tutors?

The Delver matchup is just so absurdly good, they run maybe 10 pieces of relevant disruption, and you have 12 answers. They might stop the first token, they might stop the second token, but who cares when they're casting Thought Scours and drawing Pyromancers while you're drawing 1-mana Tinkers.

what do you think it's worst matchup is? I'm getting all hyped up thinking about it.

D&T is horrendous, almost impossible preboard. They just have so many good cards against you. Wasteland is good, Karakas kills the token, StP kills the token, Flickerwisp kills the token.

Luckily there are no regulars that play D&T in my current meta, but when I play larger tournaments I sometimes run 4 pic related sideboard. It's just that bad.

Every other matchup is fine: nonblue non D&T fair decks (Jund, Maverick, Nic Fit) can't win, Delver decks and Shardless are favorable for you, Miracles and the slower combo decks are even and grindy (ANT, Elves, Sneak, Omni), the faster combo decks just become a race (TES, SI, Belcher, Oops), and D&T is really difficult as previously mentioned.

forgot pic

>tfw every deck I want to play has a bad dnt matchup

You should play elves and put those stupid whiteknight fags in their place

Do GWx decks, namely called Maverick, stand a chance in this meta? I really like playing with it, as it is a hard deviance from DnT but share some cards.

I prefer Aggro Loam

GW toolbox decks are quite adaptable to your metagame, with GSZ hitting all of your silver bullets. I think if you know your meta and change around it they can be great.

I always search for good Green creatures with useful abilities, but the best rules bending cards are White. What I like about the deck is the splash can change your gameplan a lot.

I failed to find new info or discussion about the deck. Some new posts on MTGSalvation forums, but not a fresh and updated compendium.

Last I checked Doomsday wasn't supported.

Doomsday is showing up in the card list so it has to be supported. I know what you mean though because for a while Squandered Resources wasn't supported either.

If it is now that's great and makes me much more interested in a tg tournament.

What's condired the "deck to beat" in the format?

miracles

That's Countertop with the extra inevitability of drawing into Entreat, right? I've never played Legacy and want to learn about it.

yeah although some lists are moving away from entreat toward monastery mentor. those still play terminus, though.

What are some other of the more prevalent decks? I know about ANT, Grixis Delver, Merfolk, and Death and Taxes but not about much else

Merfolk isn't very prevalent. other big decks are shard less bug, eldrazi stompy, and sneak & show.

also lands, nic fit, stoneblade, infect I feel deserve mentioning

So is Eldrazi like the (banned) Modern deck at all? BUG seems like it uses Sharless Agent to cascade into other threats, is that it or is there more to it? I've heard about Sneak and Show but know little about it besides the cheating out big threats early deal.

I'm reading the Lands primer right now, seems cool. No idea what Nic Fit is. Stoneblade sounds somewhat straightforwards. I'm also assuming that Infect is similar to the Modern variant.

eldrazi is like the banned modern deck but it gets to play even more 2 mana lands. shardless also cascades into ancestral visions and hymn to tourach, and plays other threats like jtms and lotv. sneak and show and the similar omni-show are pretty straightforward combo decks that lots of people here think are brainless. nic fit is a fair gbx deck that abuses the interaction between veteran explorer, cabal therapy, and the fact that most other decks don't play many basic lands, then plays big ass threats. legacy infect is kind of like the modern version but it gets invigorate, berserk, force of will, daze, and crop rotation.

mandatory:
>pay to win general

So Nic Fit gets to ramp up and do some nasty discard action at the same time? Seems pretty fun. What's the rest of the deck like, as in threats/other stuff?

Isn't that every non limited/pauper format, though?

>Isn't that every non limited/pauper format, though
while every format is 'pay to win' at some degree, in most of them you won't find as much trouble using a cheap, well-built deck. This is just not true in Legacy. If you don't have the objectively optimal cards, you will lose.

basically any >=6 cmc edh creature. usually like grave Titan or old sigarda. also, I know you're new, but the "pay to win" guy is a troll, so just ignore him please.

How's Burn?

more like countertop plus one mana wraths

entreat isn't even always used these days

in addition to costing money, mtgo doesn't even have the whole card pool

I don't know about everything it's missing, but as a lands/loampox player I do know it's missing tabernacle, and that's kind of a big deal

?

fuck I got mixed up somehow

anyway I don't wanna buy ports online

Lol you have your shit completely backwards.
Tier 2-3 decks can will Legacy 5-rounders, that shit just isn't true of Standard and only happens in Modernw hen the lower tier deck is a strong anti-meta call.

The more cards there are in a format, the less necessary it is to play the best 75 in order to win.

at first I hated this and thought it was a fucked up joke, but then i really looked at it and you're a fucking madman but i like it. underrated post

Currently have 4c Loam whats a backup deck I can reasonably make?

It's more easy to find and build rogue decks in Eternal formats than non-eternal constructed.

I don't have a backup deck yet but leaning towards either ANT or DnT, love both the decks but haven't actually built them or played a whole lot with them. I'm the Esper miracles guy if that'll help with deciding

fuck yeah sea king

those efeets

Look at all dem non-English cards!

>Efreets
>Mulldrifters
Play on, you majestic beast

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dead-already/

Just got back into magic and bought a few cards to go with my old collection

Tips to improve?

>Recurring Nightmare
Ive been stomped hard by this card, reanimation decks arent that good in the current meta tho

>The more cards there are in a format, the less necessary it is to play the best 75 in order to win
good luck finding other cards that aren't force of will to avoid losing on the first turn.

i'm talking about decks that can win.

Oh my god your deck is like pure cancer. You'd just delay the game and go to time if your one creature gets exiled.

Why would anyone pay $800+ for that effect?

Wow I guess Painters been completely pushed out of the metagame, its not even a slot on Goldfish anymore. Guess ill buy into Lands instead.

I heard it's more that Recruiters are so hard to get that no one player it.

T R I G G E R E D

He can still kill people with The Rack and Cursed Scroll if someone StPs the Nether Spirit.

Doesn't excuse the un-interactive cancer he's got going on. He might as well say "Don't bother playing permanents, just put them in the graveyard".

>discard, land destruction, creature sacrifice/removal

>un-interactive

lol

I think you missed a turn, buddy.
Standard general is this way .

>those bolts
are you the same guy who occasionally posts a goblins list on the modern thread? either way, I love you.

>interaction is only interaction if it happens on the battlefield

Legacy is not for you.

>get to stay at the oni onsen for free
>get a loving oni wife as part of the package deal

literally want to end myself because this isn't real

FUCK YOU

Welcome to control decks, son.

>Have most of what's needed for Pox
>Don't have Sinkholes

...think I could get away with using Blights?

No

Is Ignornt Bliss implemented on Xmage?

Why not? It's effectively the same. Two black, destroy land.

>enchanted land never taps

what then?

They still get a use out of it. It doesn't destroy the land, it turns it into a lotus petal.
Or just does nothing if its an Eye of Ugin or Dark Depths

They get mana off of the land, they control when it dies, and they can potentially remove your Blight.

dude ema sinkholes are like $12

EMA Sinkholes are only 10 bucks. You can grab 'em.

Burn is pretty strong actually. It's terrible against fast combo decks, but it has a decent to good matchup against almost every other deck. It's a solid pick if there aren't many combo decks in your meta, and it has the benefit of being one of the most budget friendly competitive decks.

Noice. It's the thing I've been looking at due to its (relative) cheapness. What can be done for the combo matchups?

Depends on the combo. Pyroblasts are decent vs Storm variants and especially Sneak and Show/Omnitell/High Tide, tormod's crypt and surgical extraction vs Dredge/Reanimator/Tin Fins and Mindbreak Trap vs Belcher. Painter is a good MU for burn despite being a combo deck since you have tons of bolts to point at Servant and their lockpieces do nothing vs monoR that doesn't need the combat step.

hope that you draw/mulligan into your hate cards.

I actually don't like Pyroblast in burn. I prefer Bridge against Sneak and Show and Eidolon against High Tide and Omni

Eidolon is already in the mb, gets removed with Hydroblast/whatever bounce without pyros to back it up. Bridge works but it's slow since there's no accel, t2 show isn't too outlandish and after drawing 14 with Griselbrand they usually have some removal for Bridge.

True. I removed the Pyroblasts from my sideboard after I realized I almost never used them and I haven't missed them since.

You rarely cast a bridge. They rarely run artifact removal in sneak and Show, omni may be a different story, but your 1 Pyroblast isn't going to win any stack wars. Also, how are they drawing 14 with Griselbrand?

Zozzle

You are a pleb of the highest order if you can't emotionally handle a pox deck.

>Muh first turn meme
You've never played Legacy.