/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Tri-color lands edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

mythicspoiler.com/newspoilers.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Where's that user that posted super tight commons that cared about spells with cmc 5 or greater, I wanna follow your work and doing it over Veeky Forums is super mercurial.

Dumb land.

Hello anons. Been a while since I've posted. Busted up my knee and was out of... well, just about everything for about six months. Anyway, here's the basics for the set I'm working on:

The land itself is a giant continent (think: Pangaea) going through primal upheavals. Not a living land like Zendikar, but a very tumultuous place nonetheless.

Red/Blue represents the large mountains that are tipped in ice, and often have hot-springs and caulderic lakes due to the planet-wide rainfall. Wizards, Drakes, and Dragons make up most of this color scheme.

Green/Black are the natural colors of the Vishano and the Dinosa- er, Beast Lizards. While many of Nature's Beasts live for the cycle of life, larger, older, and powerful Beast Lizards and Viashino covet greater power as the various races war over the relatively fresh land.

White/Red is shown by the orderly - yet creative - city of human artificers. Unable to carve themselves out a permanent home from the unstable world, they instead have build huge, moving cities powered by clockwork and steam.

Blue/Green humans live in co-existence with many of the Beast Lizards on a badass island that has waterfalls 'n shit. (think: Dinotopia. What the set is based off of.)

Black/White is the last human tribe - but these humans live in a paradox. Protected by the Plane's Angels by day, the humans have a wonderful paradise. However, in exchange for protection from night by the Vampires, all residents become sacrifices for the greater good at a certain age.

Just look for him in the threads. Though I guess he could upload his set to something like Dropbox so you could see what he's doing. Try to talk him into that. If you do, let me know so I can update the PasteBin for /ccg/ sets.

You've posted here before? I don't recognize any if your cards or mechanics.

eyyyy 'sup bois

It's been a while. This is pretty much where I learned to craft cards. Uh, I was during the time user was working on the Ships, using the Crew mechanic.

Here's some of the multi-color commons. Wasn't happy with Red/White, so is revamping it. Like, almost all of them.

>all those goodies
>just 3cmc with 2-color restriction

Are you sure you want to do that? I guess at least the exile happens at the end of combat, although it goes though even if she dies.

Yikes. I say make the last ability trigger at end of combat so if it dies, the creatures it hits don't get exiled.

Oh, and I just want to make sure you know that if it kills a creature, the creature will actually die instead of being exiled since damage is a SBA and will finish before the trigger.

>filepick fail

aye aye, reworks ahead.

This really wants 2 power. Menace does very little since the defender can just take 1 damage rather than lose a creature. Extra blocking just let's you chump, since you can only damage and exile one attacking creature.

Ah, no wonder I don't recognize you. Pirate user was working here quite a while ago, and I actually stopped frequenting these threads for a while during that time.

an alternate option much simpler and stuff

I'd change the wording on Invoke to "Whenever ~ is invoked" due to the nature of the word in English. You rarely see "invoke" without an object. Although that's up to you in the flavor for just how "invoking" actually happens. Is the tapped creature calling upon the power of the Invoke creature, or the reverse? Also, make sure the reminder text notes "tap another untapped creature you control".

Also, Alpha Predator should probably be an ability word and just have the rules baggage as part of the ability. Call it Alpha:
>Alpha -- Whenever ~ attacks, choose a creature you control with the greatest power or tied for the greatest power among attacking creatures. It gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
>Alpha -- Whenever ~ attacks, choose a creature you control with the greatest power or tied for the greatest power among attacking creatures. It gains deathtouch until end of turn.
I don't think you need "attacking creatures you control" because only one person can be attacking at a time. Note that it has to not target, or otherwise Alpha effects might flipflop who's greatest and then your chosen target won't be the greatest, which will cause the ability to fizzle on resolution. Which is an unintuitive, feelbad moment. This wording also lets you do more complex effects that can't be summed up as "gains" or "gets" things.

Salvage and Meltdown might need some rules baggage tweaking. Salvage might be worded better as
>Salvage 1 (Sacrifice ~: Add 1 to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast artifact spells.)
and Meltdown as
>Meltdown 1 (Exile ~ from your graveyard: Add 1 to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast artifact spells.)
It's slightly functionally different, because Salvage only lets you sacrifice AS you pay costs, not any time, but it should be fine.
See Outlast for similar examples of the reminder text just being the functional rules text, and not prose-ifying it.

Doesn't really feel like a Cleric. Regardless, I think this is much more balanced. I'd like to see it have at least 2 power though, just so it has the possibility to hit each creature it blocks (unlikely as it is). I will admit part of me wants it to have DStrike, but that feels too close to keyword soup to me.

>Bring Unto Paradise
Tap an untapped Vampire you control. If you do, exile another target creature you own. At the beginning of the next end step, return that creature to the battlefield under your control. You gain life equal to its toughness.
>Lone Predator
This is a sorcery speed murder if you don't have anything that changes its toughness at instant speed. That said, it's fine mechanically.

>Dragon Newborn
Is this supposed to not be able to Invoke by itself? As in, is a creature invoked when it's tapped by another creature's Invoke ability? Or is it that a creature is invoked when it taps another creature using it's own Invoke ability?

Because the first seems awful.

For Invoke, the set really has Wizards that do the Invoking (drawing power to do an effect), and a few rare creatures that have an effect when Invoked.

A few things to keep in mind:

My IRL friends play a lot of EDH/Two-Headed X, thus multiplayer format rules are often on the front of my thoughts. Hence the "attacking creatures you control" - unless you think Alpha (which I'm thinking about renaming to Packhunt) should effect your allies creatures? Otherwise, your working is much better than mine.

Also a jillion thanks for the Salvage/Meltdown fixes.

Missing a second comma after the White mana symbol. Art feels far more Jeskai than Bant. Also have a feeling it might be doing too much for a land. Though on the other hand, is it worth the loss in tempo?

Considerations considered. This feels a bit spicier for sure.

How would /ccg/ feel about me making more lands with the Desert subtype? I'm making a set with the card Desert reprinted at common, and I'd like to make "Deserts matters" cards a thing. I know that they only made the Desert subtype to make Camel and Desert Nomads work, but I really like it as a concept. Do you think it would be fine to explore it more?

I feel like it doesn't need the T in the cost. Just because it's not like something you can do more than once anyways.

>Bring
Should probably be "As an additional cost to cast ~, tap an untapped vampire you control." then the rest of the text.

This should probably also be a plains, just to be more consistent with champion you know?

Wizards recently changed "Put a token onto the battlefield" to "Create a token" for some reason. I'm assuming because of thopters on kaladesh.

Name feels weird, but the card is fine.

Meant for the second one to go to .

That sounds like an enchantment name (maybe an aura with similar abilities?). Maybe just "Faithful Soldier".

weird names have kind of been a thing in the set so yeah.

I agree with . Maybe it could be like "Loyal Soldier" and have flavor text about faith and passion, since you have plenty of space for that.

Disregard then.

Speaking of Deserts and the OP, I made this last thread right before it closed out. Thoughts?

>Mobius
Last of the Monitor cards I need to do. His theme is basically just complete destruction and erasure, so chucking things into exile should be something he does quite a bit.

>How would /ccg/ feel about me making more lands with the Desert subtype?
Well, you'll have to fill out all the relevant forms in triplicate, and we won't have a problem. Otherwise we'll hunt you down and feed you to the wolves. No, seriously, what are we going to say about this? I mean, all we can do is give advice. I say go for it. But realize that you're going to have to really push a Desert theme throughout your set if you want the type to be relevant instead of parasitic or arbitrary.

>Vanisher
Good point on taking out the tap.

I like the idea of forced clone effects like this, Mirrorweave and Cytoshape. With Cytoshape at 3, it might need a bump in CMC though.

New version of my wedge ultimatum cycle.

Cycling is cool.
Curious, I would use the choice template. The rummaging option feels weird.
Greedy, you probably don't want the second ability to target, so you can cast something they discarded. The life gain feels way more white than green.
Harsh 1 - meh.
Harsh 2 - meh 2.
Swift - It feels very disjointed.

>Cycling
>7 fully colored cmc
>For -1 card advantage
Absolute trash. Moving on.

>Curious
+1/+1 counter on each creature you control feels distinctly un-WUR.
On the other hand, any card that at its worst reads "Draw five cards" is at least playable.

>Greedy
Targets are set when you cast the card, not as it resolves. You won't be able to cast any card they discarded this way, if that was the intent.

"Target player discards their hand" is universally a dumb thing though. This card is so many leagues more powerful than the rest.

>Harsh 1
These types of cards ruin fun and I hate them in general.

>Harsh 2
>... equal to its attack
what is this yugioh?
At any rate this is a bit clunky. Not an effect I'd feel comfortable playing. Many things to remember, so very many triggers, mostly results in "Creatures you control can't be blocked this turn" for 7cmc.

>Swift
>One token
>That is a copy of three separate creatures at the same time
Uh.... judge?

Holy shit, this was hard to find again. Anyways I just wanted to verify what I said in for you all, because I feel like this is really a really significant change.

Yeah I'll test it out. I was mostly going to make cards like and it was going to feature the color pairings of the shards, but I'm not sure if that's too much for one block.

I'm okay with this change in wording.

It is, at the very least, better than butthole mana.

Yeah, I don't mind it either. I generally like removing unnecessary words from card text. I just thought it would be important for yall to know.

Thanks
Probably a good idea. Any suggestions on how to change it?
Yeah, that's correct. And life gain is a black and green thing to be fair.
I know harsh one is a dick move and I hate it but I also kinda love it.
Any suggestions on harsh 2?
And when I think temur I think all about wild johnny stuff, if it feels disjointed I'm okay with that, but what of the effect?

You can turn your cards into better ones.
White and red both do +1 counters so Idunno, seems wur to me being based around draw.
Yeah, I'll fix that. And I originally just had it htoughtsieze and went, eh, fuck it, let's really push this. I figured 3 would be too low since it's the primary effect and that doesn't compare well to cruel ultimatum and 5 might as well be their entire hand. If I make it entire hand I suppose I could make it back to sorcery speed.
I hate harsh one too.
Woops, been too long since I made cards I guess. Any suggestions on how to smooth it out?

And yeah, again whoops. Need help on that wording.

First one should be "Cyclic Ultimatum". The rest of the name are normal adjectives, not present participles, so the disconnect is jarring for me. It is indeed Cyclic/Cycling, although not technically "Cycling" as Magic uses the term. Hence, Cyclic is probably better.

For Swift, it doesn't really feel terribly swift as a 7 mana sorcery, nor do its effects feel swift. Also, the second half should be
>Choose up to three target creatures. For each of those creatures, create token that's a copy of that creature.

Have a not-quite-Extra Turn card.

>You can turn your cards into better ones.
...or I could Tooth and Nail and turn my not cards into better ones :0

In terms of wording;

>For each of up to three target creatures, put a creature token that's a copy of that creature onto the battlefield except it has haste.

or
>... Those tokens gain haste until end of turn.

grammar nazi-ing your way to glory. Thanks
and again thanks on fixing the wording. Any better name than swift that still fits the text line? I'm considering Wild.

also, jesus tits the specificity required of that rules text. I can dig it

mythicspoiler.com/newspoilers.html

Yeah, that's where I found it. I feel kinda stupid now since that should have been my go to.

It's okay, we still love you in spite of how stupid you are.

>also, jesus tits the specificity required of that rules text. I can dig it
It's mostly copied from the text of Time Stop, which itself needs additional rules baggage (CR 715, which it shares with Sundial of the Infinite and Day's Undoing) because its such a wacky effect. "End the turn" or "Restart the turn" sound fairly intuitive, but they require some careful handling to not break the rules like a bull in a china shop.

For Swift Ultimatum, perhaps Savage, Furious, or Conquering.

For reference, by the way, "target player discards their hand" is costed at 5BB with Wit's End. Perhaps a Mindclaw Shaman-type effect for it:
>Target player reveals their hand. You may choose up to two cards from that player's hand and cast them without paying their mana cost.

>Comparing a 7 mana card to a 9 mana effect.
You just sac 3 lands and reanimate 3 fatties. Or grab any powerful artifacts/enchantments that happen to be in the yard. Or 3 planeswalkers.

>Ignoring seven colored mana symbols
yep. uh huh.

>Different cards are different
Who'd have thought.

Yep. Tooth & Nail is good and that ultimatum is ab-so-lute trash.

How about

Look at each other players’ hand. Choose a card from among them and cast it without paying its mana cost. Gain life equal to that card’s converted mana cost. Target opponent discards his or her hand.

what if it were 5 and 5 or even 3 and 4/5

I'd just cut the sac and say "Put N target permanents from all graveyards onto the battlefield under your control." N is probably best at three or four.

At 7 you get Sepulchral Primordial for 1-3 creatures, and at 9 you get Rise of the Dark Realms for all creatures, but you're paying for versatility here.

Okay. Here are the trilands.

Aww, thanks user!

Does your set really need tricolor lands? Regardless, have you thought of just making these cards lands and playing with that? I mean, have you actually made a Desert card?

>making these cards lands
I meant to say "making these cards Deserts". I'm tired.

>Does your set really need tricolor lands?
I don't know. I wanted to have it lightly shard based, but I'm not sure there's enough space for that.
>Regardless, have you thought of just making these cards Deserts and playing with that? I mean, have you actually made a Desert card?
I haven't made a desert yet, because I'm flipping back and forth between two different versions of what I want for them. I guess I should just put 'em together and see what I like.

How do I cost this? Should I get rid of Indestructible? Or Trample?

Yeah, just post both (in one image) and see what people say about them.

As for tricolor, I encourage you to not focus on that, but just dualcolor and general multicolor stuff. Wizards has learned that there isn't as much design space as people think with tricolor, so it's hard to make a set around it, much less an entire block.

When will the World supertype return?

Ever heard of "Time Stop On the Wild Side"?

*Time Walk....

Planes are Worlds done right.

I've tried to make World Creatures and it's a major hassle trying to balance them.

I would make it a 1/1. But if you insist on the 6/6, lose the trample

How would a World Creature be justified in lore?

I decided that this version was way less boring then the other one. It might be too strong, however.

I think that 8 or 9 is a fine cost for that.

I won't focus on tricolor then. If I do multicolor do I still include the tri lands, or do I just do duals?

Meant to comment on this earlier, but the bit about one or more isn't necessary. Also why not a spell or ability an opponent controls? I really do like the red pseudo vigilance though.

I also meant to add that it should be more color intensive though.

And please ignore that I switched the names of two of the deserts.

Planes are fun.

inb4 >Blind Eternities aren't a plane reeeeee

It originally was a 1/1 at a much lower cost, but another user convinced me otherwise. Removing Trample.

Got it, Doomsday at 8. And dual lands should help multicolor just fine.

Yeah, I guess I could get rid of the one or more wording. As for not triggering off abilities, another user said it looked clunky with both, but I have been rethinking it a bit. Especially since Cass does a flicker from creature abilities, and she and Rose are kinda similar. And thanks.

As for Deserts... I'm not a fan of seeing them all ping creatures like this. I think I'd rather see them all do their own things to the creatures instead of copying Red.

It's not really copying red, it's just that that was the effect of the original Desert. Regardless, I wouldn't be opposed to changing it, since that many land pingers would likely be dangerous.

Would appreciate help with the wording and design.

Well, Bolas's Meditation Realm isn't really a plane either, so whatever. Though I would like to see Blind Eternities have the plane subtype "Multiverse"

>[...] base power and toughness each equal to its [...]

I know it's on the original Desert. What I meant was having the other colors follow suite really just felt like they were copying Red.

Fuck, forgot the putting on battlefield part.

Needs to pull creature EoT. Otherwise is too easy to get stupid big stuff really fast with a sac engine.

I should have specified 'destroy' instead of die.

My bad.

Wordy as fuck and way too complex to be a common. It's a somewhat repeatable Birthing Pod effect in addition to a boosting effect, which can be tricky and is also bonkers. Art doesn't really suggest an equipment, more an enchantment or creature. Overgrown weapon seems like a more narrow version of living weapon due to being inherently stronger than living weapon.

This

Just write out the first ability, no need to attempt to keyword it. Incorporating 's sage advice...
>When ~ enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Saproling token , then attach ~ to it.
>Equipped creature gets +X/+X, where X is its converted mana cost.
>At the beginning of your end step, [exile/sacrifice] equipped creature. Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost equal to 2 plus the [exiled/sacrificed] creature's converted mana cost, put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. Attach ~ to that creature.

Honestly, could do without the pump and just be "Birthing Pod, the Equipment."

>Wordy as fuck and way too complex to be a common.
Oh, I wast paying attention to rarity, I was just trying to make up a weird card.

>Art doesn't really suggest an equipment, more an enchantment or creature.
Don't really have an excuse, couldn't find anything better.

>Overgrown weapon seems like a more narrow version of living weapon due to being inherently stronger than living weapon.
Spawning a black germ wouldnt have fit a green equipment, and a 0/0 would die due to it not adding anything unless the equipped creature has a mana cost.

Will do. The pump was more to make it seem like a symbiotic weapon, and not only just a wearable birthing pod.

Why even keyword overgrown weapon? Just have it as an ETB trigger.

Also, hah, just realized it needs an Equip cost. Otherwise it'd be an interesting Aura, because of how disruptable it'd be.

Ah, okay. That makes sense.
I think I'll have the blue one keep its ability to freeze, but do you think it's too weak then?
Maybe at that point have them enter tapped and produce the color, then have an ability similar in power to the blue ones freeze?

I like what said, but I'd like to slightly tweak it.
>When ~ enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Saproling token , then attach ~ to it.
>When equipped creature dies, exile it. At the beginning of the next end step search your library for a creature with converted mana cost equal 1 plus the exiled creatures mana cost. Put that card onto the battlefield, then equip protean spiral to it.
I feel like 1 more is the fairer way to do it. Maybe you could have an instant GG attach ability like neurok stealthsuit and an equip of 2 or something?

I'd rather see it be CG instead of BG, although I can understand using it to deny colors in some form.

I took away the buff, but gave it the potential to recurrently spawn dudes, provided you have the mana.

Jesus, why is this even an equipment? It's basically just Birthing Pod now.

The Equip ability seems kind of expensive to me. I think 2 is fine, and I feel like the GGGG ability is too expensive as is or makes it another birthing pod if it's toned down. Maybe Just have it be GG to equip without a sac?

Give it Equip {G/2}{G/2} and cut the other ability. The Birthing Pod effect takes up more than enough space and is plenty complicated.

So my playgroup i working on a custom commander event, and I wanted to run this past you mighty neckbeards to see what you thought.

I like the experience counter mechanic, and I thought it was pretty on theme in WB.

It's busted. At the point where you have 3 or more experience counters, your opponents can't play. Anything that they would manage to play would be countered and fuel the fire, while you get more time to draw and set up while they're being stalled. I don't know how to suggest to fix it, other than giving it a different second ability.

I agree.

Alrighty.

Trying to make a creature fetch equipment thing, unique, is hard.

Have you ever considered that this idea just really isn't suited to equipment? At least, not in the way you're doing it.

>Whenever another source's spell or ability you control counters a spell or ability, you gain an experience counter.
>WU, T: Counter target spell unless its controller pays X, where X is the number of experience counters you have.

If you're really determined to make WU even more the color of absolute no-fun shitters in EDH, because Brago and GAAIV aren't bad enough.

It probably would have worked better as something close to its original form, but an aura.

I didn't think it was that terrible, because it requires me to have a billion counterspells on hand, taking up slots. How would you suggest fixing it?

Maybe have an artifact for 1 and red mana for 2 or 3 to search for a card and you must sac it at end step? Making the card must have haste or some other way of not saccing it.

Ahh, I see what you did there. So she doesn't feed herself.

It really doesn't matter how many slots counterspells take, if casting 2 to 3 of them wins you the game. I would recommend that you do something like , but the problem with that is that it's not very white.
I like
>1WU: Counter target spell unless its controller pays X, where X is the number of experience counters you have.
With a different counter gaining mechanism. Maybe it could be when you gain life or something?
Another possibility would be
>Whenever a spell or ability is countered, you gain an experience counter.
>U/W: Target permanent gains protection from a color of your choice for each experience counter you have until end of turn. If you have more than 5 experience counters, it gains protection from everything until end of turn instead.
but that's kind of clunky and doesn't go with what you probably want as much.

I feel like this might be better, then

Gave me a dumb idea.

Or maybe it could be
>Whenever a spell or ability is countered, you gain an experience counter.
>U/W: Up to X permanents each get protection from the color of your choice until end of turn, where X is the number of experience counters you have.