Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

Samurai Edition

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Horror Adventures: imgur.com/a/r2TOH
imgur.com/a/odYOE

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=898196
d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/hero-points
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>magic items I've given my players

>Hungry Blossoms
>twin rapiers, each cross guard styled to look like a silver blossom, the blades a pale orange, the hilts are curves. Connecting them is a cord of woven vines, three closed blossoms on it. Up to three times a day one, when targeted by a spell, may, as an immediate action, attempt an opposed caster level check, substituting your BaB for your caster level (which ever is higher). If successful the blade slackens, opening to devour the spell. One of the blossoms along the vine opens and the spell fires from the other rapier, as if the wielder has cast it.
>actual rapiers are a set of +2 cruel cold iron rapiers

>Bloody Barnacle
>A set of brass knuckles covered in rust and barnacles, fished out of the bottom of a port. The barnacles are thaumaturgically mutated by alchemical run off. The Barnacles are still alive, and defend themselves. Up to five times a day the wielder can agitate the barnacles, having them expel numerous fronds of ribbon like digestive system to coat both the wielder and victim in digestive fluids. The wielder, and anyone he strikes while this is active, taking 2d6 acid damage. Anyone struck takes 4d6 acid damage for 1d4 rounds. After activated the barnacle's intestines retract after 1d4 rounds, this is activated as a swift action.
>they are a set of +1 corrosive seaborne brass knuckles

>Tiger's Maw
>A spiked gauntlet stylized to look like a tiger's head (may be used to replace the existing armor of a set of full plate). Once a week the wielder may awaken the construct, the creature inside appearing as a mechanical Dire Tiger with the Constructed Creature template, it stays this way for ten minutes, acting as a summoned creature, before retreating back to the arm. Once a day the wielder may partially awaken it, lashing out gaining a primary claw attack of his size with that arm, that he may make in addition to his normal attack cycle (claws of metal lashing out on their own).

rate? thoughts?

Samurai!

myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=898196

Samurai.

How many feats would samurai have to burn on advanced study to do that?

Samurai? Samurai! I don't have any samurai images, so maybe I'll find some good ones this thread.

I one day hope to play a Jiangshi Dhampir Vigilante that takes the Genius Vigilante feat, with Mercurial Duelist, Exposed, and Inquisitive Detective stacked. I want to dump the fuck out of Dex and be the jerkiest moving, most terrifying motherfucker, with Int-to-intimidate and the feat for power attack intimidation.

>tfw I will never ever ever play this

Why aren't you playing a blinkling bard who loves encouraging his party

>samurai thread
>nobody posts one of the best parts about samurai
>the armor
you bring great shame.

Can anyone recommend me any Pathfinder Scenarios for level 5 characters?

migrating to this thread, why do I always ask questions when threads are dying.

So /pfg/
Best class at early levels of the following:

Hexcrafter
ranged Sacred servant
Grenadier

The samurai who's been on my team for 20 years

>armor
>not the sword
you are... no true samurai

yoroi is not the samurai! the katana is the samurai!

Hexcrafter
Sacred Servant
Grenadier

did I post the best to worst already in order or something?

why does he have a bumper sticker as part of his outfit?

Is that one of the new Garo series?

>did I post the best to worst already in order or something?
I just didn't understand your fucking question.
Phrase it like a normal person rather than a mouth-breathing autist and I'll give you a better answer.

Fuck if I know, someone else linked it to me.

Just because he's wearing a dress doesn't mean you're not both gay and pedophile.

Not that user, but say that, don't just assume that repeating something a guy said with no evident inflection will know what you're thinking.

I mean, sure he could, but there's the whole bending the laws of time and space shit. there's fees associated with that.

Why aren't you playing a blinkling boy who gets seduced by an incubus?

jesus christ user, chill out.
I'm tired, so I fucked up a bit, you don't need to bait me into replying and then explode.

the question is: what's the best class at early levels (like 1-5), of these 3 options?

I think you're the autist here if you didn't understand him.

>Hexcrafter
Hexcrafter sits in tier 2 as a versatile and dependable party members. Hexes to stronk.
>Grenadier
Once you get 3 or so discoveries bombs become amazing, which is doable at level 4
>Ranged Sacred Servant
At low levels he is a fighter with less feats and better saves.

Probably grenadier. In close enough quarters, bombs solve encounters. Just don't forget tanglefoot bomb at level 2.

Have you ever been preemptively booted from a game's applications for accidentally guessing the GM's epic plot twist and trying to build a character based on it?

I have.

Can you give more details? That sounds amusing

Gotta say Hexcrafter, especially with the slumber hex.

Also, Hexcrafters are compatible with the Eldritch Archer, so you can also grab the flight hex and rain cursed arrows from above.

No, because my games usually get "You're a pirate" or "We're gonna be playing [insert AP/adventure here], with a theme of [theme]" for chargen.

What did you guess?

Happened to me before. I have a friend who GM who has actively told me to stop guessing NPC back stories. I've had GMs get buttmad online when I guess their plot twists.

Last one had to do with a hobgoblin invasion, he gave us sparse details like local nobles acting odd, the hobgoblins becoming more organized under a strangely charismatic leader, and a military curfew being enforced because people were disappearing, then it suddenly being lifted yet people are still disappearing.

I told him I saw two major contenders for possibilities. Vampires or dopplegangers, and that I was heavily leaning dopplegangers. I got it right.

>Hexes too stronk
Shit, the only class features for all 3 I didn't spend literally all day reading about.
>Once you get 3 or so discoveries bombs become amazing
good to know, I might go for it now.
I assume all of those discoveries are being put straight into bombs?
I actually wasn't going to get it originally, feel free to call me retarded
>and better saves
Not with my 7 wis on that character. Guess she's out.
>rain cursed arrows from above
Around what time would I be able to do this?
I was gonna go melee, but that sounds rather the type of cheese I like.

Thanks, anons, you're the best.

You can't just say something like that and not explain further, dude.

The GM wanted to run a "sandbox" game but secretly have the players discover spelljamming technology, then sail off into wildspace.

Without knowing this, I mentioned wanting to build an astrologian and astronomer wizard who was dead set on discovering/inventing fabled spelljamming technology and starting an expedition into space.

>Around what time would I be able to do this?

I think the flight hex is available at 3rd level, but only as air walk/featherfall. It gets better as you progress.

Curse and Major is available at 5th and 8th level, I think? But then again, ANY spell with [curse] gets added to your spell list.

Which Adventure Path adventures should I combine?

Which should I run in a setting that is not Golarion?

I wouldn't've banned you. Would've completely ignored your character the entire time and not rewarded you at all until *badumtshhhh* THE WIZARD WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG.

I'm GMing. I gave the party gunslinger a magic weapon way out of his league. Problem is it that it is a powerful malicious intelligent item. It can not speak language, but has attempted to gain control of the Gunslinger. The Gunslinger is torn as it is too powerful to pass up compared to his old stuff, but is afraid of being taken over.

If you were a player in the game, how would you want this resolved? I can give more details on the gun and the player is need be, just ask.

I rolled a puppetmaster magus and HATED IT.

Man, fuck that archetype. Charmstrike is absolutely worthless on that class due to the magus' limited spells per day. AND YOU LOSE OUT ON SPELL RECALL.

He should kill himself with that magic weapon for rolling a gunslinger.

I'd personally want to do a quest or three that lets me cleanse the evil properties of the weapon; that way I get to keep the thing and enjoy it, but I don't just get to have it for free, which feels shallow.

Make him work for it, and give it to him in the end. I am curious what the gun itself actually does though.

After a quick read of magus/witch, I'd be able to cast bestow curse at 7th, i think.
Would doing that require a lot of speciization? or just like "pick up maybe a feat, these two spells, and cast them, grab your best ranged weapon and fuck up someones day!"
also, what do you mean, compatible with eldritch archer, they're the same class with different archetypes, can you actually take both or something?

Players are playing in the modern world (yes I know), assessing, investigating and putting down supernatural and paranormal threats.
People are kept ignorant of the supernatural, the paranormal to prevent widespread panic and breakdown of society.
People still think elves, dwarves, etc only exist in fairytales, but they do exist but are rare.
Elves have been recast as fey lords who abduct and are heavily inspired by Changeling the Lost, for example.

The elves, true to some folklore, are the ones who inspired the original abduction myths. Their extreme beauty is also as much glamor as anything, they still are extremely attractive if you could pierce it but their glamor allows them to affect emotions or actions in their victims.

Grays are also a feature of the setting, they're a strain of us from the future, here to conduct experiments on our base forms and livestock, to prepare or protect or eliminate us for some unknowable end.

The elves and grays are locked in a secret war.

Originally decided to have them access racial/race traits specific to other races but am actually considering having them play other races but refluff that fact to have them just appear as human.

Thoughts please?

>Would doing that require a lot of speciization?
You're typical precise shot + point blank will do for archery feats since you're only running at 3/4 BAB.
Grab the Ability Focus feat to increase the DC of slumber hex.

>can you actually take both or something?
Yes. As long as neither of their alternate features conflict with each other, you can stack multiple archetypes together.

How come Pathfinder has no DEDICATED dog race when there are catfolk and kitsune?

Gnolls.

...You know, normally I hate you, but that's actually a legitimate question. Bring us a loyal dogsfolk race!

>You're
I fucking hate autocorrect

Because they covered felines and canids and gnolls already existed

oh, I should mention.
The slumber hex:
I've had a kinda witch player who went "hey, this seems broken, can we homebrew nerf this to only be able to sleep one creature per combat" (along those lines, it might be usable again if said creature gets woken up)
for reasons that are beyond me.

Is slumber still good despite that?

Yes, because you can instakill sleeping creatures with a Coup De Grace.
Save that slumber for something tough.

*kinda dumb

Wow, that's crazy cool.

>precise shot+point blank
so, basically, combined with EA then i should just grab the bog standard "get these feats if you're ranged, dumbo" and just be a EldritcHex Ranger, and not really bother with melee, yeah?
If only I can find where I saved that list, now

Strangely long and slender musket with a stylized fiend's face at the end of the barrel. When in dim light the reflections on the fiend's mouth looks as if it is gnashing its teeth. They know it is named Yuhmis Alrraed meaning Whispering Thunder. The item has int 14, wisdom 13, and charisma 16, is Neutral Evil, empathy, blindsense, ability to move 10ft per round (which it uses to force itself on the gunslinger while he sleeps), and can cast magic aura on itself at will. It is a +3 Lucky Distance Seeking Musket. Once per day you can make it fire a much more dangerous round. Acts if you are vital shotting, but does the damage to everything in a 10 foot area and triple to objects.

The spirit is a malignant desert spirit tricked into a clay urn. The urn was full of dates, figs, and peaches, and left to ferment in honey. The spirit greedily tasted the fruit, gorging itself on the mixture. However in its greed it did not notice the trap, becoming ensnared in the sticky honey. A plug was put upon the urn, sealing it inside. Try as it might it could not break the clay, the surface having been reinforced by the one who had left it there, a traveling monk, come from the south at the behest of the sultan to rid the desert of this viscous spirit. For the rest of its days the spirit was stuck upon the sultan's pedestal, a example and warning. Its cries were enjoyed as the sultan, and then his son, and his son's son, taunted him. Much later one of the sultan's ancestors, in his fear, sought turning the spirit into a weapon, and succeeded, and in the hands of the artisan the spirit took control, hunting the sultan's family. It rid itself of the sultan's line, but was not done, it now seeks the dreadful monk, to cut away the family tree at its roots. It is attempting to use the gunslinger to further his search for them (the party killed the previous user)

Sounds like one way or another, the monk (or descendants of the monk) is the key. A quest to solve the issue would either be getting the spirit to work with you and be a willing partner, or alternately to get someone from that family to cleanse the spirit's negative state, which would likely eliminate the intelligent part of the weapon while leaving its abilities intact.

Blinklings, Wulfens.

Those are both Gareth's "give the doggies a bone" races, right?

Yes. Gareth likes giving his bone to dogs.

The monk is the key. It's been 600 years since the spirit was captured, and 150 since it became a rifle. I have planned for the monk himself to actual be alive, a strange ancient one arms mountain hermit, and his descendants to be alive, albeit scattered. A few of them, what would constitute the main family, are aware of the monk's presence. The monk only descends from the mountain in "times of great need", as he says, however these times range widely. Often he is not there in moments of what would be considered national peril, but there in smaller more personal conflicts. He soothes pain, exorcises spirits, heals the sick, and smites the wicked.

For reference the party is level 7. Waraqat Qadima, the monk's official title Meaning Aged Paper is a level 16 Unchained Monk who reached enlightenment. A wicked man, left to die by his enemies, lain upon a mountain stream bleeding. He drank from the water, cradling his body. For three days he lay there, drinking of the tepid water. On the third day he did not drink, and he was enlightened.

can we not? please?

It's the only way people will validate their existence.

Yes we can!

More posting like
Less like

>False Priest character dies just before level 9.

Sauce?

Tell us their story, user.

I like this. I like it a lot.

I've been working on something to do with a "ceremonial" knife one of my players picked up in a mythic game, and was stuck with a bit of writer's block, but you just landed me some inspiration.

Well there isn't really much to tell. Turns out that taking a shit ton of damage is a bad thing. Why this happened is because our enemies realized that hey, we can't kill the tank so let's at least kill the notCleric.

Was it a tpk? If not, you should be able to afford resurrection at level 8.

I meant the story of the character, not the story of their death. Incase you didn't realize, the exact nature of a death isn't nearly as interesting as the why of that character dying and the how they got there etc etc.

Tell us their life story!

Hate when GMs metagame like that. In a wild melee people aren't suddenly switching targets when they're getting mauled by the guy in front of them.

A one-post description of why fighters, barbarians, and almost every martial ever published cannot actually defend their party members.

Thanks heavens for warders.

Wild melees are much different in D&D. Humans as a species are far more resilient to injury and much more aware of their surroundings.

Holy fuck this is good.

I feel like that has no bearing on this situation. They're getting mauled by this psychotic warrior, they're not suddenly deciding, "Hey, let's all go and gang up on the weak looking guy so we can kill him before dying!" If anything they're fighting for dear life against the warrior or fleeing for their lives.

Ish, if the other person is laying buffs, flinging in damage, or controlling the battlefield they become a very viable target. It's a lot easier to focus on just the "tank" when they're the only one left standing.

For the record this is a mythic game. The monk is Unchained Monk 16/ Guardian 6

The PCs are level 7 mythic 2.

>that it uses to force itself upon the gunslinger while it sleeps

Fucking excuuuuuse me!?

Sure we could have afforded it, it's just that we were in the middle of bumfuck alabama and all the properly leveled clerics are nowhere to be seen.
Tl;dr: Plenty of demand but no supply.
Standard LE false priest life really. Sorcerer figured that becoming a priest of Razmir would be a great way to amass wealth and was later sent to aforementioned bumfuck land. Would have been a routine job of getting converts but suddenly a massive goblinoid horde descends upon the province. Logical thing to do would be to get the fuck out of dodge, but then you would loose a lot of potential prof- I mean, poor innocent souls.

Sure, if you're an archer standing away from the warrior, or a melee who hasn't closed in combat yet and notices the priest casting some heavy duty shit. If you're a warrior face to face with this whirling dervish of tanking blows? You're not peeling off to hit the priest.

They're not going "kill the weak guy" it's "kill the guy who may die so he stops killing us, then we deal with the harder to kill but less kill us guy".

Put itself in his hand so he is forced to make a save against its ego as it tries to wrest control.

You god damned are when it's well known that mages are a much larger threat to the battlefield than a warrior.

In D&D you most definitely are, because again, real life combat != D&D combat. Your expectations should be different because real people and D&D heroes are capable of entirely different things.

God damn that sounds shit. I'd fucking just get up and leave your game, I'm not dealing with a GM like that.

That's meta-gaming. "This guy hits us for bigger numbers" is a shite reason to switch targets when you're face-to-face with a guy swinging a sword at you.

That's a cop-out answer for a pretty simple issue: the lack of narrative reason. I can buy D&D heroes making optimal battle choices, they're the big goddamn heroes. But unless you're facing down some BBEG with a pretty hefty Int or Wis I don't want to see mooks suddenly decide to peel off the big fighty guy blocking the doorway to get a hit off the mage in the back line before dying.

>That's meta-gaming. "This guy hits us for bigger numbers" is a shite reason to switch targets when you're face-to-face with a guy swinging a sword at you.
No it isn't. It's playing smart. If the mage in the back is a bigger threat to you and your allies you're going to take them out first.

>Metagaming: Killing the easier to kill character over the one you can't hit.

my GM has a nasty habit of destroy all of the parties items and we almost never get to new gear. What are some ways of not losing your weapons when you are guaranteed to be captured and stripped naked. Also is there a set way to combine weapons something like this mace gun but with a crossbow? 3.5 and all 3pp is allowed.

>metagaming: the DM knowing that's true and doing it intentionally

Sleight of hand + high con = shove your high powered weapon up your ass.

>I don't want to see mooks suddenly decide to peel off the big fighty guy
Do you do that when you're playing? You have somewhere around 10int, and YOU think of it. The Mook has around average human int too.

Gotcha, I'll make sure to play all my monsters at 2 intelligence.

Why are these supposedly average intelligence enemies not realizing their weapons aren't effective against the guy in full plate compared to the guy in a robe standing 20 feet back? And that the guy in the back's fireball really hurts?

Metagaming.

Just play someone who doesn't care about gear, a vow of poverty monk/druid.

B-but anonkun, enemies using actual tactics on me is scary.

I mentioned that. PCs are the big goddamn heroes, they can do that. It's the point of the game. But unless there's some captain character actively telling them "target that guy over there" or the mage is popping off big damn nukes their attention ought to be completely focused on trying to hit the guy they're already engaged in face-to-face combat with.

That's metagaming too. They're swinging and missing, or getting glancing blows off his armor, but they're engaged in visceral face-to-face combat with the guy. Turning to go after the mage means narratively they're electing to pay attention to somebody else in the far corner while there's this dervish of death standing right in front of them.

3.5 vow of poverty, if you can swing it. It's much better than the PF "role-play" shite.

(you)

What's your opinion on Hero Points?: d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/hero-points

I like to use them to avoid stupid ass character deaths that don't really fit the story or end it too early but I feel kinda dirty afterwards since at least one guy in my group sees it as cheating...

don't think my longsword would fit that well. Is there an enchantment that works like absorb weapon the assassin spell?
I might just have to do that all our martial characters so far besides me have died horribly without their armor and weapons.

"Actual tactics" is what I'm using against my mythic players, and while they don't necessarily love it, they haven't asked me to stop or tone it down. I'm planning out a castle that's got a layout modeled on Space Hulk's full size, with a good number of challenges to deal with.

Knowing my sword doesn't cut a guy under his armor and fire hurts is metagaming?

>Turning to go after the mage means narratively they're electing to pay attention to somebody else in the far corner while there's this dervish of death standing right in front of them.
What is not logical about this? If they're a trained combatant (a mook for some BBEG) then he doesn't have tunnel vision. Anyone who knows what magic is will move away from the guy in armor to kill a spell caster after he sees him cast a spell.

You're the retarded one here. People aren't glued together once they begin melee combat.

Last time I used tactics my players quit because one of them died and the other three were captured.