ITT: Shitty GW Art Design

In this thread, we criticize the stylistic choices by GW's art team and describe exactly why we don't buy their minis any longer, and it has nothing to do with the price.

First Entry: The Imperial Knight

Looks like a giant Space Marine with weapons for arms. GW has consistently failed to demonstrate that they have any concept of how hydraulics work on machines. The design of this thing is ridiculously top-heavy. The cannon arm is just preposterous. Where is the ammunition stored for a weapon of that caliber?

What is the point of the shoulder pauldrons? They protect the knight from above, but leave a massively juicy weak point for any AT-armed infantry firing from short distances, which would make this thing a fucking nightmare to deploy in urban combat.

Just imagining the locomotion of this thing is silly. The legs would need to be perfectly perpendicular to the plane of the earth to have this thing walk straight forward, at which point the feet would probably catch on one another and bring it tumbling forward like it's had too much to drink.

Dreadnoughts weren't much better, but their short stature at least made the simplistic, squat leg design plausible for locomotion, however goofy it would look.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_science_fiction
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Second entry: The Land Raider (and all Imperial Armor generally)

Why do these things look like they came straight from 1917 when the Imperium fields jet fighters, hovercraft, space cruisers and more?

90% of all GW tanks should have a 2+ to immobilize rule, because the exposure of the treads to enemy fire is insane. At least with WWI armor, anti-tank infantry wasn't really a thing, so keeping the tracks from getting destroyed wasn't a big deal seeing as artillery would likely tear through the hull anyway.

In 40k however, AT weaponry is everywhere. How does this technology supposedly come from a more advanced time in the past, yet lacks basic fundamentals of armored vehicle design? Frontal deployment is also insane, considering it then provides no cover for the disembarking troops. Why wouldn't the driver just run over enemies in front of him, rather than risk the lives of the soldiers inside?

This shit makes no sense.

OUR SHIELD'S CAN'T HANDLE AUTISM OF THIS MAGNITUDE!

PULL THE FLEET OUT

And then these guys here might just be the worst offenders.

Seriously. What the hell is going on with these? It is becoming apparent that GW hires 13 year olds to draw their concept art for them, and bring it to life with no regard to aesthetics.

They don't look bulky. They look like they literally cannot do anything but shuffle around like penguins. How does this get approved by the creative director? Terminator armor is difficult enough to imagine moving gracefully. This thing is a monstrosity.

>Why do these things look like they came straight from 1917
because those tanks look cool

also when you have the technology to drive a battle tank along the ocean floor, you can afford to make it look cool

So you're telling me you like this art design? I did too, when I was in my early teens. Games Workshop has absolutely killed it when it comes to Tau, Eldar, Necrons, etc... but the human factions are just laughable. Please, deny this. Just try.

It's a shame because the setting is so amazing and deep, but the key players (the humans) look so damned silly. I think the Imperium needs a reboot, stylistically.

God I hate these things. Shit to look at and shit on the table.

Literally wasted codex space.

you do realize 40k is pulp action first and last, right? If you want tediously researched and sensible design, it's really not for you.

It's run by the rule of cool dumbass, they sell because they look cool, and people like them because they are cool. Nobody cares about realism you autist, and if you are looking for realism in 40k you really are autistic. You also know absolutely nothing about Warhammer because everything looked even more ridiculous in its past, modern 40k is actually MORE grounded.

>It's a shame because the setting is so amazing and deep,
>he actually believes this

Holy fuck you're not autistic, you're completely retarded! 40k isn't any deeper than the water in a filled petri dish. It is entirely unoriginal, made by shamelessly ripping off every major sci fi and fantasy of the 1980's and mashing them all together with injections of historic warfare for the coolest looking and coolest playing setting. The fluff itself is utter garbage and posses nothing notable, and is only special because no other franchise really goes to the lengths of 40k to produce the sheer amount of fluff. Only movie franchises like Star Wars do (and it isn't a customizable tabletop wargame, which 40k is).

40k is cool, 40k is fun, but 40k is not deep, well written, or of any true quality for that matter. It's the action movies it was made from, Terminator, Predator, Commando. Flashy, fun, cool, but utterly brain-dead.

Dude, I'm saying that literally every other faction was designed sensibly and looks appropriate and/or plausible. Even Ork machinery looks like it might actually work. Imperial machinery is just so out of place and silly. It's just ridiculous. Why can't humanity get the same mature art direction as the rest of the galaxy?

Nothing in 40k would work user. Ork, Eldar, and Tau models do not only look completely unrealistic, they would be an engineering nightmare. if you find virtually any vehicle in fiction that does not use wheels or treads to move, it's full of shit. Let's not even get started on the subject of why mechs are a shit.

"Autist!" "Retard!"

This is your typical 40k player, folks.

>you like this art design?

Yes. Things like fatty centurions and soccer mom dreadknights are outliers. The majority of the models are representative of artists indulging their Rule Of Cool mojo since, you know, 40k is abstracted space fantasy and was never any kind of simulationist wargame. The worst aesthetic offenders are, imo, the Epic models upscaled to 28mm. Flyers look like they're made from legos when they do that - and the concepts were pretty crude even for the 90s. tl;dr:

They're okay.

>implying I buy from GW
All my models are either bought from a friend who does recasts in his back yard or from discounters online. And I call you an autist and retard because you are in fact, retarded/autistic for caring about realism in a FICTIONAL UNIVERSE.

I though that Kinights were supposed to be giant. Like, so giant that they can squash an average size church just by steping on it

You're thinking about titans. Knights are about 9 metre tall.

But when it comes to the hovering/skimmer technology, we start getting in to why sci-fi even exists in the first place. We can assume that these advanced alien civilization have a mastery of such amazing technology and can therefore make believable looking vehicles based on this fact.

See this Tau skimmer? This looks believable. It is somewhat aerodynamic and the mounting of the engines/thrusters make it seem like it can maneuver quite nimbly based on its ability to hover. THAT is plausible.

Humans deploying WWI tanks alongside spacecraft and laser based weaponry? NOT so plausible.

In the dark age of the 41 millenium everyone still has a hardon for meele combat and many actually practice using meele weapons only. These people would never choose the easy path and atack the tank threads, they will smash through the armor plates or die trying!

It's called SCI-fi for a reason buddy.

Science-fiction.

Science

FICTION BASED ON SCIENCE.

40k is not fantasy. Personally, I enjoy fantasy more. Pure fictional dragons, magic, trolls, etc. But when it comes to Sci-fi, I need things to be grounded in reality.

When it comes to pic related, I can believe it because it's supposed to be ALIEN. The humans, however, are supposed to look human. Instead they look like bad comic book characters, never meant to make the transition from 2D to 3D representation.

I'm not criticizing you for playing 40k and enjoying the art direction. I'm criticizing GW for taking this art direction in the first place. Now go name-call somewhere else. You belong on another board.

>It's a shame because the setting is so amazing and deep

Well, to be fair it is a fucking daot farming vehicle with guns strapped to it

Advanced civilization firstly doesn't make anti-grav technology possible, it simply doesn't work. It'd need to be some sort of VTOL craft, and it obviously doesn't have forward mounted engines for stabilization. Secondly it's absurdly more vulnerable than a standard APC courtesy of those engines, which will be pumping out heat like a motherfucker. Tau craft should stand out like a supernova on thermal, making them a prime target for anti tank and anti aircraft missiles such as the Javelin launcher.

Granted real life APC's don't hold up well to enemy fire either, but they tend not to have giant jet engines mounted on their flanks that should be painfully obvious, both thermally, audibly, and visually in plain sight. On top of that if the main gun is mounted on the BOTTOM of the vehicle, this implies the Tau skimmer has a very high maximum altitude, likely comparable to a helicopter. Yet the Tau engineers put all the sloping on their armor.... on the top where it shouldn't even be taking fire 90% of the time it's getting shot at. If it actually flies very low but has its gun mounted on the bottom, then its firing arc is severely limited as it can't aim at anything greater than a 0 degree angle towards the front of the craft.

Not to mention that when you have VTOL aircraft capable of towing platoons of troops around a planet at very vast velocities that can even go into space, you shouldn't even NEED an APC like that. Just focus on tanks.

>Sci-fi
Science-Fantasy is 40k, not Scifi. There is literally another dimension made of emotions that wizards and demons draw power from. It is not, and never has been, science fiction.

Uh, 40k is specifically Science Fantasy. It is not science fiction, neither is Star Wars for that matter. Science Fiction also for the record is almost NEVER based on reality. The very fact that most science fiction has shit like faster-than-light travel makes it ENTIRELY fictional as FTL is probably impossible in the real world, completely.

40k, like star wars, is actually science fantasy.
Not science fiction, be it hard or soft.

>Science fantasy
>Not half science fiction
>Being this racist against a genre
>Fukken one drop rule
>Fukken KKK
>Fukken rednecks

I think it's safe to assume that the nose mounted cannon is capable of firing at a positive angle and is not locked to negative degrees, because the pilot can lift the nose like in this pic.

I had always assumed Tau APCs were quite agile. Heat based targeting does not necessarily mean the missile can compensate for evasive maneuvers by the pilot.

And who knows if they even run hot? They might run cold for all we know, or has that ever been examined in the fluff?

Actually, you have soft and hard sci fi

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_science_fiction

soft sci fi is rather relaxed, but hard sci fi tries to be plausible

>>Not half science fiction
Its not. You can't be half science fiction, science fiction is a yes/no. If you have unscientific things, its not science fiction, and a dimension of emotions and daemons and wizards etc is not scientific

>Terminator, Predator, Commando.
how can you leave out Aliens, dude

>If you have unscientific things, its not science fiction,
So 99% of science fiction isn't actually science fiction? Good to know it's such a useless term.

Aliens weren't left out, 40K is full of them.

Here's the Leman Russ, supposedly the backbone of Imperial Armor.

Why is the bore of that cannon so large? It seems as if the crew could only fit a handful of rounds inside the hull alongside them. Let's not even bring up the horrendous hull design to begin with.

It's shit like this that just baffles me. I just cannot visualize these designs ever going toe-to-toe with advanced alien technology like the lore suggests.

These things aren't Shermans to the Alien Tigers.

These things are literally horse-drawn chariots to the Alien's modern MBTs in terms of design. How is anyone supposed to believe that they can actually perform on the 40k battlefield?

While the games going to shit and the prices mixed with lack of time are all my main reasons I'm not a fan of many if any of the newer big monsters.

I know it isn't specifically a computer sculpting problem but since that move most of the big monsters and by the looks of things even the smaller kits these days are just so mushy in their detail.

The worst looking like cheap rubber toys.

The meaning i can draw from your comment is that you put little value in analysing the genera and classification of 40k in a serious manner.

they're designed to look decent and iconic from across a table cluttered with other shit. Obviously things aren't meant to be realistically scaled, otherwise you have massive artillery pieces that can only shoot a couple football fields away.

please see soft science fiction

Stop it with this shitty meme.

>Games Workshop has absolutely killed it when it comes to Tau
Really, Boxy McSquatty here is your definition of killing it? Maybe if we're talking about making it deceased.

>complaining about unrealistic things in warhammer 40k

Yeah, right? I mean, using melee weapons when there's GUNS? and don't get me started on the armor! Armor's too heavy, you need mobility! And those proportions on space marines are just ridiculous, too.

Speaking of armor, that boobplate on the sisters of battle is just ridiculous! anything that hit the frontal plate would shatter her sternum! Not to mention how none of them wear helmets.

What's with everything looking like cathedrals, anyways, that isn't realistic at all. Why would they be that wasteful?

Speaking of, why do all of the aliens look like humans? shouldn't they be, you know, ALIEN? they all use rifles, too! that doesn't make any sense, wouldn't their weapons be different from ours?

The warp is just silly, magic isn't real! Why would you have magic in a REALISTIC, DEEP setting like warhammer 40k?

>thread about how GW's design has gone to shit
That makes sense, they have put out a lot of crap late-
>starts by complaining models aren't realistic
...oh. OP is one of those people.

Stop this meme

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

Centurions are badass, go sperg about design somewhere else

>I think it's safe to assume that the nose mounted cannon is capable of firing at a positive angle and is not locked to negative degrees, because the pilot can lift the nose like in this pic.
That still gives it little to no ability to engage targets above it, which will be a serious problem if it's actually flying that low as in the pic most of the time.

>I had always assumed Tau APCs were quite agile.
Considering it has no jets mounted so they point at a flat angle, it can't move evasively by jinking right or left (there's no power to do so). All it can do is fire one jet to turn quickly.

>Heat based targeting does not necessarily mean the missile can compensate for evasive maneuvers by the pilot.
Considering modern missiles are meant to take on targets like helicopters, which can easily attempt evasive maneuvers at comparable speeds, the Tau APC would probably be utterly fucked.

>And who knows if they even run hot? They might run cold for all we know, or has that ever been examined in the fluff?
There's no fucking way a jet engine can 'run cold'.

>low mounted gun that can only fire left and right
>impossible to fire at anything on the move, except if the anti grav keeps it completely horizontal and steady over all terrain and movement
>giant engines that would get destroyed by literally anything getting sucked into their exhausts, torn off by any bigger explosion and probably mark it on thermals half a continent away
>very heavy at the back
>4 giant hatches that are obvious weak spots
That's from just a quick glance at it. And let's not even get started at all their stupid mechs

First off, stop this meme.

Second off, it's the Leman Russ that's supposedly a tractor with guns, not the Land Raider. When using memes in place of knowledge, at least use the right one.

There is soft and hard sci-fi, but science fantasy is still a thing apart from them. Soft sci-fi lets you have lasers and FTL and mechs all you want, but it's still meant to be at least slightly plausible. Science fantasy, on the other hand, pulls out space magic and space wizards, where it's still set in the spacefuture, but it doesn't even pretend that the setting could actually happen.

Well, Ork-tech only runs on the believe, that it works, so I guess that sounds legit...