Why does Veeky Forums hate elves?

Why does Veeky Forums hate elves?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yjllEOTZ0ak
youtube.com/watch?v=QT3JEXOWNZY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Real answer; because some authors don't understand how to make them work and write them poorly. Which makes elves seem like a bad race.

Typically it's by either just writing them as humans with a half hearted twist that leaves you wondering why they were even necessary. The other -worse- way is when elves are super special amazing. Bonus points for also following the author's politics and everything is wonderful because they live in the anarchocommunist free sex commune or whatever it happens to be. In this case, they kill any sense of threat or scale to anyone else because a super perfect elf can just fart fairy dust into the threat's face and make it good.
A sub-category of this is the single token elf that is written blandly or super special amazing, both of which again make elves as a whole seem kind of shitty.

Oh, and then there's Japan with it's ero-elves and orc rape. Which doesn't help matters. But is kind of hot, so I'm okay with it.

Veeky Forums takes it to a whole new level though.

I've met people who make elf related jokes at the table, same with dwarves, halflings and other races, but I've never encountered such vitriolic hatred for a race than on Veeky Forums.

It's odd because I like elves and I'm sure a lot of other fans of fantasy do as well.

Also, that's a cute kitty.

-association with japanese depictions and degradation
-clash caused by their original superiority as a race for the purpose of writing and the necessity to tone them down to sidegraded humans for RPG, ending in discussion of the likes of anime powerlevels
-it's hip to hate what's meant to be cool
-they look too superior and must have a rotten side (which they do in some settings)

Forgot to mention: this also translates to tabletop. People who want to make a character that's human but not will go to elf. Which can make elf seem boring.
Or they'll make their super special amazing PC an elf. Or a half elf. Or a half elf half dragon half pixie, but we've been down this road before.
Plus all the Legolas copies, and busty elf maiden characters out there either serve to give elves a bad name.

Comparison; dwarves are usually played in full dorf mode. They're a dwarf, therefore they act dwarfish. So you dont get situations where you wonder why they arent just a human, and you rarely get Mary Sue dwarves for... reasons. I'm not really sure, but I'd guess it's because dwarves aren't conventionally attractive or have sex appeal in popular culture. Therefore dwarves are seen as pretty alright, if predictable.

I love posting that image. It's never related, but nobody complains about it.
Don't think many people really hate them though, it is a meme that's fun to take part in after all. Plenty may dislike elves to some extent, but anonymity lends itself to hyperbole.
Plus there are threads where people discuss elves civilly, but we don't remember them as much due to humans being biased to remember and think about bad experiences over good ones.

A lot of it is just hyperbole and playing into the joke.

Because fa/tg/uys hate themselves.

Because it's an unfunny in-joke that everyone coming from 1d4chan spews because they want to fit in

Also, because the "le manly dorfs" and considering Neckbeards empathize with them and believe they're dwarves, they go on the elf hate bandwaggon.

I don't particularly like Dorfs or Elves, they're boring.

Memes.

because we could never be one

even in a fantasy realm wed all be gnomes, dwarves, and various flavors of green skin

Because Eladrin are so clearly better

I've noticed at my LGSes and from time in WoW the anti-elf people are often more obsessed with appearance and style than the people that play elves. Dwarf and Orc players especially in WoW.

>"Screw those pretty elves obsessed with their appearances! I want to be a ripped, muscular, badass killing machine with an awesome beard and scars all over my body from previous battles! Also an ice cold stare and a vicious snarl that could make your blood freeze!"

I only hate shit threads like this tbqh

youtube.com/watch?v=yjllEOTZ0ak

I only hate them when they do the whole "fey" shebang.

My general approach is I prefer races with a lot of personality. The problem is most times nonhumans are an option they still feel bland and uninteresting.

Interesting you bring up WoW because that was one of the few times I played a game where the nonhumans struck a chord with me. Horde races oozed personality and I love trolls and Tauren even years after I quit

Joke's on you, I'm from /pol/

Because Lord of the Rings imitators basically ruined it for everyone else. I still persist in thinking that had Silmarillion been released first and we got to see badass elves first that stereotype would be vastly different today.

What stories use elves like that besides Eragon?

The doofy 80s fantasy flick "Hawk the Slayer" does it as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=QT3JEXOWNZY

Because the damn Elves come to our fortress always whinning about us cutting trees and then go at war with us when we don't give a fuck.

sweet shit in a pan ya just fucked my perspective on everything

Because Veeky Forums hates everything.

But elves in particular have been fucked over by moron after moron who doesn't know how to write elves except "forests, longevity, bows" and copypasta from previous moron.

simple, elves represent the worst most autismal extreme of the kind of person who plays ttrpgs, like, all ttrpg is mired in fantasy, but what you fantasize about kinda defines you as a person, it highlights your hopes, dreams, the contours of your brain.

So when your fantasy consists of being a human only long lived, ultra attractive and intelligent and wise you're basically giving away the fact your idea of fantasy is as shallow as a drop of water, that you just wanna be smart, pretty, thin and live forever. Its the most basic fantasy. The most boring and unimaginative.

Because we live in the late fifth age, and the powers of Sauron and of his lord Morgoth grow now that we use their artifice and have drawn the material of Morgoth's ring from the veins of the earth and fashioned it into our many devices.

>I've never encountered such vitriolic hatred for a race than on Veeky Forums.

Vitriolic hatred for races is kind of Veeky Forums's thing.

Frequently turned into special snowflake anime waifubait.

Otherwise just because they're dickheads with a superiority complex.

We also have a love for cute. When the two things combine things go bad.

I WILL STOP AT NOTHING UNTIL EVERY SINGLE KNIFE-EARED FREAK HAS HAD THEIR TESTICLES PULLED OUT OF THEIR MOUTH

>Because elves are always assholes who are smug racists.

>Because they live so long, that humans are babies who know nothing and *smugly* "humans are ignorant to the world unlike us smart handsome awesome elves"

>Because most of Veeky Forums play dwarf fortress. Not elf fortress

>Because most of Veeky Forums are dwarves who hate weak womanly elves.

Because cute.

I hate people that paint elves as nothing but cute anime girls with some pointy ears more than people that have an irrational hate for elves in general. You degrade them more than any rape doujin ever could.

>Implying that's cute

Pictured. Real beauty in a strong dwarf woman

My point proven.

Because of a certain kind of normie chucklefuck that took over the board, many of them stationed at one of the most autistic forums ever, that went to 1d4chan once and heard how "Veeky Forums is the friendliest board and gets shit done!" and then tried to fit in with stale memes from 2008, thinking that they were hitting the spirit of the time, and then keeping up with it because they fall into the "I'M A NERD! NERD PRIDE!" niche that is autistic enough to feel jealous of elves and prefer dwarves because they are as ugly and stupid as they are.
And then there's the fact that elves are easily sexualized, which is physically repulsive to people from the puritan backlands who will go apeshit if you even dare to mention that a sixteen-year-old might have already started puberty.

>Noldor version of dorffortress
>essentially the same, but less prone to self destruction
>except when someone inevitably ruins everything for some shiny bauble

I want to adopt an elf and feed her delicious sweets and pastries until she gets slightly chubby and starts worrying about her weight so I can bully her by squeezing her lovehandles.

>elf
>chubby
Your elves sound very unmagical.

>implying chub can't be totally magical realm

Elves only gain weight around the ears. Case in point: your pic.

I guess that's why Veeky Forums hates big, floppy, Japanese elf ears: they're obese elf traits. At this point, Marcille's blood is probably pure butter.

Cause, in most settings, there are a nearly eternal race, who exceeds in everything, from combat to magic, and even craftworks. And their appearence are just like that of humans, but with pointy ears. And usually, they see themselves as something higher than other races. Only neative point is their low fertility.