40k RPG General

Forgeworld isn't Canon Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), Veeky Forums made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Mars Needs Women! Rampage of the Nerds! (V1.0.0), a new Veeky Forums made Only War supplement for playing as Skitarii, Cult Mechanicus, and joyriding an Ordinatus
mediafire.com/?irijme05vbks7q4

Old thread

What was the worst thing that's happened to your character so far?

Dying is not the worst thing.

Being put on fire. I think that's going to change come the autumn, when the group hopefully goes back to DH

Getting eaten alive by Kroot, then having the Shaper who ate him wear his face while he interacted with humans.

Was not pretty.

He was denied his revenge

MEGA Guy has returned from being a lazy asshole!

Now I'm a kinda lazy asshole distracted by streaming.

Post updates, etc, whatever, you're all adults, you know what to do.

Hey. I'm GMing a game of Black Crusade. My (human) Heretics have become powerful enough that I think I may throw a Horde at them.

I realize that Magnitude and number of enemies isn't necessarily 1-to-1, but I'm right in thinking that for unremarkable human enemies (to be precise, 50 members of an unremarkable planets moderately well-trained PDF), ought to roughly have a Magnitude equal to their numbers?

Read up on how magnitude works for hordes then reconsider.

What is your favorite rival or villain you have had to face/have thrown at your players?

Mine is an Ogryn who found a Halo Artefact while working on a mine on the fringe world of Sothra, before it caved in and he was trapped. The artefact made him very intelligent (Well above Average Human, near Genius level) and whispered into his mind, telling him to uplift his species and create a new, powerful Ogryn Empire. After weeks of hunting underground creatures and having his mind mold him and raise his thinking skills, he led a series of ambushes and kidnappings to acquire more Ogryns (who were still dumb, but did what he said because he was bigger), and after three years of raising an army of Ogryns he overthrew the sparsely-populated, decrepit Fortress World government and installed his own. At this point, he began capturing tech-priests and having them forcibly install new implants to the Ogryns, making them more intelligent (as in "slightly-below-average-Human"), while hiring pirates to capture more tech-priests and hire Hereteks to build weapons and brain-implants for his Ogryn brothers.

Eventually, he managed to trade enough with pirates and renegades that he acquired his own ship, and used said ship to raid and plunder nearby systems to build up his world, and the manufactorums and armories began to reactivate under his direction. This attracted the attentions of my RT party, who were sent by the Inquisition to check up on the world and see what was going on.

This Ogryn was full-on Ogryn when it comes to strength and toughness, but also extremely intelligent and with a high Fellowship to command other Ogryns in battle in compex tactics. It was probably the hardest enemy my party ever had to fight.

Will post the stats if anybody wants them.

I own the Black Crusade core book. The Horde rules are two pages. I've read them and reread them, trying to see if there is something more specific that "Magnitude 30 is a mob, Magnitude 60 is a thronging phalanx".

I may be an idiot, I may be missing something significant or something I don't fully understand from the rules. But I'm not getting whatever it is you're trying to suggest.

(I know there are Horde rules in Deathwatch; I know there are Advanced Horde Rules in Tome of Blood. If those would be useful, I'll download the relevant thing. But yeah, I may be dumb, but I'm not getting whatever you're trying to imply.)

I'd like to see them.

Suppose the following:
>Librarian wants to do an opposed willpower check for his spell
>He wins by 5 degree of success
>Enemy wins also, but only by 3 degree of success
>The librarian's spell says "roll 1d10 dmg for each degree of success"

Does the librarian roll 5d10, or 2d10?

Lost both my hands and lungs to 2 ork meganobz ( of the 6) that manged to teleport on the bridge of a Mechanicus Heavy Cruiser running on skeleton crew

Energy burns over 50% of the body, caused by another PC deciding to "help" me in melee by shooting into it; he of course missed and hit the pile of lascannon charge packs that were in the emplacement I was fighting in. Good times.

Aight. It was very cobbled together, but he was a mean motherfucker.

NAME: Korunval, the Enlightened

WS BS S T Ag Int Per WP Fel Wounds: 42
45 35 55 60 40 45 43 40 31

>Skills:
Command+10, Common Lore (Tech, Imperial Guard, Planet Sothra), Forbidden Lore (Pirates, Psykers, The Warp), Intimidate+10, Schol. Lore (Tactica Imperialis), Secret Tongue (Novus Brotherhood)

>Talents:
Air of Authority, Ambidex., Battle Rage, Berserk Charge, Bulging Biceps, Clumsy+,Combat Formation, Combat Master, Combat Sense, Crushing Blow, Die-Hard, Fearless, Frenzy, Heavy Wep. (Universal), Hardy, Iron Jaw, Jaded, Melee Wep. (Universal), Nerves of Steel, Parry, Rapid Reaction, Resistance (Cold, Heat), True Grit, Two Weapon Wielder
-Clumsy+: Due to the sheer size of their hands, Ogryns cannot wield any ranged weapon that is not Ogryn-Proof.

>Traits:
Size (Hulking), Unnatural Toughness(x2), Unnatural Strength(x2)

>Weapons:
Shoulder-mounted, Best Quality Ogryn Shred-Cannon with MIU interface
(Heavy, 50m, S/-/5, 1d10+12 I, Pen 2, Reload 2 Full, Ogryn-Proof, Scatter, Tearing)

Two Best-Quality Ogryn Mauls
(Melee, 2d10+8, Pen 10, Power Field, Shocking, Unwieldy)

Cont. in new post

>Armor:
Best-Quality Ogryn Tyrant Armor (Body, Arm, Legs 8) with in-built Vox-Caster and Servo-Assited Armor, Ogryn Command Mask (Head 5) with in-built Preysense Goggles, micro-bead, and Rebreather.

>Gear:
The Diadem++, Refractor Field, Backpack ammo for belt-fed Shred Cannon (500rds), 1 box-mag of Toxic Flechette (50rds), 4 Frag and 4 Krak grenades, human skulls and fetishes

-The Diadem++: The Diadem is what uplifted the menial grunt Urn-Gok into the warlord known as Karunval. This diadem grants him Resistance (Psychic Powers, Fear), and due to its insidious and blasphemous nature makes him completely immune to any attempts at mind-control (Save the Diadems, of course). It is permanently bonded to his flesh, with thorns piercing directly into his mind, and cannot be removed from Karunval without killing him in the process. Furtheremore, while the Diadem gives him incredible resistance to anything that would attempt to damage his mind, the mad whispers and caresses of the voices in his head are pushing the limits of what his (formerly) Ogryn mind can handle. Whenever Karunval receives any Insanity Points, the amount of points he receives are doubled, and he starts out with 50 Insanity Points.

The hardest part of this guy wasn't just the fact that he was brutally powerful, but the fact that he was surrounded by very well equipped and decently intelligent Ogryn henchmen.

>Reading the Servo-Automata entry
>Affectionately called “Servo-Squids” by those who work heavily with them, Servo-Automata are adorable constructs who float slightly above the ground, their armored frames as tough as a Kataphron.
>They are capable of being armed with a variety of basic and heavy weapons, and float dutifully behind their Techpriest owner, happily chirping all the while.

>They make squeaking sounds when one hugs them.

They really are the cutest things. I think I need a drawfag.

how the fuck do you doublepost on Veeky Forums

How powerful are they? Can they handle 5 undodgable attacks that do 3 3d10+3 damage from the PDF using lasguns with a magnitude 50 horde?

He didn't double post, he fucked up the formatting in his first post, deleted it, and posted it again.

He's talking about the fact that Hordes are super, super dangerous.

>The Dark Eldar invade the Jericho Reach fortress through the Omega Vault, and kill all the Marines stationed there, leaving it an empty husk.

Source: Deathwatch codex fluff.

So, not only is the Omega Vault confirmed as a Webway portal in official canon, but Deathwatch as a line is BTFO.

In Deathwatch, is it bad mojo to use your own custom chapters?

Craftworld eldar are also utterly fucked due to Eldrad being Eldrad.

Not at all. Why would it be? There's chapter creation rules for a reason.

>and kill all the Marines stationed there, leaving it an empty husk.

The fluff in FFG says that the Watch Fortress is almost always barely populated, with most Marines out on missions - there's usually never more than 20-30 marines there at any given time.

So what likely happened if we want to reconcile this fluff change is that the Dark Eldar killed everybody at the Watch Fortress, and the Deathwatch in the region has been dealt a significant blow. This has earned every team in the region a personal vendetta against the Dark Eldar, and purge missions by the remaining Marines have ramped up in their intensity, despite the major blows to their logistics, supplies, and leadership.

Just wondering if it's something That Guys would do to minmax really

Why go through that trouble when the chapters provided can do that easily?

A good question, thanks for the answer though

Don't worry, he's full of shit and completely wrong.

2d10

In opposed WP checks the enemy's DoS/DoF is subtracted/added from the final result.

Where does it state this? Can't find anything under the psychic powers or opposed tests of chapter 7 in DW.

Anybody got any cool spaceship builds for RT?

Bumping thread for interest

Woah, no reference to Jericho or the specific Fortress. So it more looks like GWs shitty writers forgot to namechecking and invited a Fortress Omega (and shitty name that is, like how many Omegas there is in the Imperium? Where is Watch Fortress Bob?)

... A question comes to mind: How much the Codex destroyed Deathwatch fluff and backstory?

Deathwatch's Watch Fortress is named "Fortress Erioch," I think. So yes, it's just a rando no name fortress the codex uses.

>player thinks detonating frag grenade in his hand is a good way to disperse a horde which is about to close in melee
>surprised when he gets two righteous furies in a row, down to 1/2 wounds and previously wounded techmarine caught in the blast loses his power unit and gets his chestplate destroyed
>this is deep within enemy facility on high alert where they need to avoid getting swamped by security teams
>mfw

bump

Question: Is it too completely unreasonable to have a Space Marine as a (very high level) Inquistorial Acolyte for the Ordo Hereticus? I realize that it's an extremely improbable situation, but it's also not IMPOSSIBLE for it to happen.

I want to know before I really commit to this character I've built up.

I posted earlier about createing a khornate bezerker. And I've decided on a backstory and what not just gonna ask for you opinions.
(Insert Generic Khornate name here) was a feral worlder who was honored by his tribe for his ferocity and honor for Felenosh god of war. From time to time the brass angels of blood would descend from the heavens and claim their finest champions for eternal service to Felenosh. IGKNH was his tribes canidate in the brutal trial for the favor of their gods, the tribe who's representative wins gains great boons from the Angels. And the victor himself would ascend to their eternal ranks to fight in the name of felenosh.

IGKNH was succesful in his trial and went through the process of becomeing a Khornate Bezerker. This issue is his Butcher's Nails were put in place by a shoddy heretek and quickly drove him into an eternal ly frothing frenzy. Of course this was a common occurence, and this Bezerker changed hands many times. Eventually ending up in the possesion of the current chaos warband of the campaign.

My current concerns are "Do chaos marines have recruitment worlds?", "Do they use hereteks or apothecaries for implants.?", and "Would a Khornate bezerker of this caliber be essentially a liveing weapon who constantly changes hands?".

You mean a grey knight? Except working for the hereticus rather than malleus.

Not quite. I mean a "normal" Space Marine.

The idea is that he and his squad shadowed the Inquisitor while they investigated a possible cult activity on his Chapter World. The entire Chapter was present for a formal ceremony (and he was angry he was not a part of the ceremony, instead "babysitting" an Inquisitor), and during the culmination of the ceremony, a massive cult uprising happens all across the planet in a coordinated attack on vital infrastructure and population centers. It turns out this attack is led by Word Bearers. This attack takes the Chapter completely by surprise, and their Monastery is under full siege and penetrated by a cadre of Word Bearers. These WB tear open a Warp Rift in the middle of the Monastery, and then head to the Apothecarium to rob it of all its gene-seed. The fortress is completely and totally under siege by Daemons of all sorts, with reality cracking around it, and eventually collapsing in on itself as the Warp swallows the whole thing. The Marine and the Inquisitors retinue are fighting their way through masses of Cultists, and board their transport and get in the air, leaving as the Warp-Rift expands and begins to spawn all sorts of Daemons across the planet as it descends into Chaos.

ON board the =][= shuttle, the Inquisitor offers him and his three squad mates the chance to exact vengeance on the Word Bearers, as he knew which particular Apostle led them. They track him down, and, after a massive battle, the Marine ends up killing the Apostle, but his squad-mates died to get him there.

The Inquisitor offers him a choice - he can join the Deathwatch as a Blackshield, or he can work with the Inquisitor and exact revenge on Word Bearers and all other forms of heresy. After much deliberation, he agrees to work for him.

Cont.

Cont.

The general progression I have in mind for this character is one where he struggles with his identity and the incredible loss of his Chapter. He understands his value and the value of working for the Inquisition, and that the missions they undertake are of vital importance, he can't help but feel incredible survivors guilt at the loss of his entire chapter, and feels lost, not knowing if he is even still a Space Marine anymore. It's hard for him to work alongside mortals, not because they're weak or incompetent, but because they simply think and operate in such a radically different way than he does. He doesn't know where he wants to go or what he wants to do - he wakes up every day and wonders what he is even doing with his life, before putting on his robes and doing the duty he swore to do.

Eventually (or so I plan) he realizes that even though he has no Chapter anymore, life in the Inquisition isn't a bad one, and it's actually something he's quite good at. He starts asking questions, starts thinking obliquely, learns the value of contacts and subtlety, and learns how to trust non-Astartes when necessary. He develops as a leader and person, and also learns his limits - while he's incredibly intelligent and not a bad speaker, he realizes that infiltration and social manipulation are best left to his teammates, and that's okay. He also acts as a go-between with other Space Marines whenever they work alongside them (With the other Astartes first being extremely confused by him, then going "Ah shit I heard about that, that sucks man" when learning why he's an Acolyte) and also as a grand strategist.

I don't know what his endgame would be, though.

a bump

Afaik there's little to no recruitment for chaos marines, but it could happen what with Fabius and his ilk being hired to do just that job or device new ways of creating marines. Or something to that effect.
But Khornates are pretty much just living weapons, like all astartes.

Chaos marines definitely can have recruitment worlds. The answer to any question involving them is almost always "probably."

CSM recruitment ranges from "none" to "Fabius Bile lol" to "take over entire SM chapters"

Hey fellas, has anyone ever made anything like notecards for the different requisitions in deathwatch? my players are spending like 40 minutes trying to figure out what they want going though the book, and I want to streamline it any way I can.

Why are they taking 40 minutes to get gear unless if they're very slow at reading and/or indecisive?

Man that character (and his entire pre-planned character progression, including encounters and how those encounters will run) fucking sucks.

Not him, what exactly is the problem?

Well firstly the backstory's pretty stupid, an entire Chapter being destroyed through the instantenous destruction of a world, completely unforseen by anyone, by a Traitor Legion not especially well known for their subtlety. With the entire Chapter on the planet, and then they just happen to manage to defeat the super-badass who somehow managed to do something no other Chaos leader had ever done in the history of the Imperium.
That's not really what I take major objection to however.

It's how he's trying to determine future game direction with all of this otherwise pointless character development drivel. Shit which makes no sense and seems stupidly hamfisted if it doesn't work related to the shit which actually happens.

It's the kind of shit, and the kind of players that I fucking detest.
If you want to define that much shit in the game, wonderful.
I'd been wanting to fucking play for a while.
I'll roll up my character now shall I?

My Sister of Battle, during a boarding action against a heretic vessel, got turned into slag by a meltagun that popped around the corner.

Well despite Fabius BIle's dickery. I dont think its impossible for a feral world to get into khorne worship and be the "Oh we have some geneseed stolen from loyalists just lying around." planet.

Where they just shore up their forces with an extra chaos marine from time to time. Another thing is, they wouldn't want to run full scale recruitment because that would draw the Imperium's attention. Well I could at least see the alpha legion getting away with it.

Honestly he could forgo that backstory entirely. Space marine on an inquisitor's retuine would only get to leave the ship dureing dangerous bits, Feral worlds or worlds with imperial guard stationed on them.

Mostly, yeah.
They would be ludicrously disruptive to any Inquisitor who had an interest in maintining a higher Subtlety rating.

I'd love for there to be an RPG or even a new GW boardgame where you played as these guys. Favorite chapter hands down.

My Deathwatch campaign is rapidly becoming a shonen superhero manga with all dramatic backflips, cutting enemies in half mid-jump and players standing on a hardly accessibly vantage points looking cool and dramatic.
I'm okay with that.

>Becoming
>Not being like that from the start

In 2e Enemies Without, does the Unguents of Warding upgrade count as 1 armor upgrade total or 1 upgrade per hit location applied to?

How closely does the inquisition work with arbites? How difficult should it be to their their help to raid a cult hideout or similar?

In my limited understanding on the relationship between the two organizations, it shouldn't be that difficult, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

This isn't for any game, just a thought that crossed my mind.

I'd hear rumours that FFG were losing the GW license, which would obviously screw things up. Can anyone corroborate?

As far as I know there's no actual evidence for it, but the fact the last book they released was 7 months ago, with no new ones in the works, and they seem to be not doing anything for Conquest beyond the current set of card packs, it's not a far fetched conclusion to reach.

>Post YFW GW makes its own 40kRPG in-house
>It's built on a Shadowrun-like D6 dice pool system
>And is just as power-creeped and messy as the tabletop game itself

(checked)
Wait, how is 45 Int Genius level?

What page?

Page 45 of enemies beyond. Not sure why I put enemies without.

It's an Ogryn he probably meant genius level for an ogryn.

Average humans are like 25

I'd treat it as one hour, container and test for each location. To ward a whole armor covering All would take a minimum of six hours, containers and tests.

I guess it makes sense, just haven't put any thought into it. If the human average was 25, then 45 would be the equivalent of 180 IQ, and 150 for the average of 30.

Hi guys. I got a Deathwatch game starting up, and one of the girls decided to play as an Sister of Battle Heirophant, as per the rules of transferring DH characters to DW. However, I have no idea how to handle her Renown. What do you guys think I should do?

Same as everyone else, but talk to her and come up with a new table that mixes Sororita and Astartes virtues and failings. Alternatively, same as everyone else on the logic that the Deathwatch has specific values which won't change only because there's a Sister accompanying a kill team for whatever godforsaken reason.

I'm pretty sure that's what Dark Heresy was originally.

2d10+20 for an average of 31. 45 isn't a genius, but significantly above average. Marines roll 2d10+30 for an average of 41, so the guy is slightly smarter than the average astartes.

Disallow the character. Astartes operate on a different level.

Or just retcon female space marines in. It's not a huge deal.

Nah, that is retarded.

>implying SoB can't roll marines of same xp value with proper build abd faith power cheese

>implying any SoB has any place in a kill team

I've played a Rank 8 Sister of Battle in a game of Deathwatch Marines. It went pretty well actually. In fact, she alone, singled handedly shredded a Hive Tyrant while all the other marines were disabled or separated. Her Faith Powers also made quite a few encounters easier than they would have otherwise.

My only advice to be liberal with the Sister's gear or at least EXP, and then make it clear to her stay the fuck out harm's way when there is a Horde, because Hordes fuck your little squishy body up. You can be tough as a Sister of Battle, but you don't have Unnatural Toughness.

How can I best emulate Gil-Galad?

Play a system that uses the appropriate themes. One Ring is pretty good. ACKS if you want to focus on the king angle.

Also, on a person note that approaches a grudge, I don't get FFG's boner for keeping hordes away from the other lines. Yeah sure Dark Heresy 1.0 pre-Ascension can't deal with them, but strong Ascended Characters, Rogue Traders, or Only War Guardsmen could FUCK a horde up no problem especially if they're smart, have good gear, or have solid tactics.

Don't get me wrong, a horde can still fuck your shit up using simple rifles, but it seems kinda incongruent to say hordes can't be dealt with outside of Marine games.

Does she know about Blood of Martyrs? Because Sisters got their own ascension career in an online supplement for it

I was just wondering if it's possible in the 40krpgs really

As an NPC eldar? Eldrad?

The space marine in question would just go into the deathwatch, even working with an inquisitor for any extended period of time would be a stretch fluff-wise as the inquisition and the space marines are quite separate. This seperation is by design, a sort of check and balance thing to avoid any more Horus Heresy style rebellions, even on a smaller (chapters are much smaller than they were pre-Horus Heresy). From a game-play standpoint, it would be nigh impossible to balance the marine; he would end up hogging the spotlight in combat and either being useless outside of it if you go for balance or good at it and thus over powered as fuck if you go for fluff (warrior scholars and what not). So in short, no, it is not a reasonable idea, but good try, people who come up with interesting character ideas make these games fun, just try to rein it in. Pic related, I like it and I like you.

It doesn't match their themes and takes away from what makes Marines so special and heroic.

After all, a single lone Marine could easily handle a modern army division. ;^)

sorry, looks like my pic is broken

No, it just fell to chaos.

Cover is so helpful with hordes, people don't even know. A melee hit from a horde will ruin your day, but the average horde will be shooting effective WS 55 at most anyway. Don't dive into the meatgrinder in melee, stay in cover and ruin them with dakka, and you'll be fine.
That said, throwing out an angry mob Horde armed with literal torches and pitchforks is a great way to teach players to be careful with showing off their weirdness

Rogue Trader could conceivably do it if you did some converting and played as eldar corsairs, possibly complete with an arc similar to Yriel's.

>not wading through xeno cowards in glorious close combat
That sounds suspiciously like heresy.

Yeah probably Eldar, naturally. Though I tend to associate Gil-galad with a sombre mood, I'm not sure if this is easily doable in 40k because it feels so goofy to me.

It is. You can try for the pathos and the forgotten glory, but this is in essence a very British ironic dystopia. You really are better off with a more grounded setting and a system that feeds into the themes you want. Try Burning Wheel, it has elves that are very close to what you're looking for.

Well, Eldrad recently lost all the souls in every craftworld's infinity circuit.

Naturally, I'm just trying to mesh two things I like out of boreddom, it's nothing I'm excessively craving right now. Weaving tales into the fabric of the setting is something I'm fond of as well, if only for future reference when I run games. I get what you're saying though.

He did? I thought the guy was dead, I must be far behind on the current established lore.

>but you don't have Unnatural Toughness.

Get the Mantle of Ophelia and Cloak of St Aspira from DH1 Heresy Begets Retribution. Then you're just as good, with Unnatural toughness and everything.

It also has the Sisters of Battle Palatine, the Ascension rank for Sisters.

Oooh, true, totally forgot about that Mantle and Cloak. That'd be so damn helpful, it'd pretty much keep a Sister of Battle going against much more. Wish the game I was in actually made it that far though, because I was literally like 200 EXP away from being a Palatine hah. Also, I suffered a random mutation and grew wings...

What keeps us from using the DW horde rules for other lines? Not familiar with DW, unfortunately.

So I'm planning on sending my high(er) level Explorers on a quest to explore a new star system, which is going to include a Space Hulk orbiting it. They're pretty solid from a combat standpoint, and their mooks are very well armed (Company of 50 Power-Armored Veterans with Hot-Shot Volley Guns, it's a long story but they earned them) so I want to give them a challenge, but one that isn't going to insta-fuck them up.

I'm thinking either Rak'Gol or Chaos Cult on the hulk itself, and I don't exactly know what "rewards" I want to bury in the hulk.

Any ideas?

Try rolling a bunch of random bullshit on the SoI Treasure Generator, maybe you get an item or two that gets your imagination going. It often helps for me.