/twewy/ - The World Ends With You TTRPG - Thread #09

I was asleep so I couldn't bump edition.

What is the World Ends With You?
It's a strikingly original Square Enix action RPG from 2008 for the Nintendo DS about trust, collective consciousness, desperation, imagination and fabulous outfits. Characters are swept into the Underground, a parallel dimension linked to major urban centers, where they run through a 7-day gauntlet of tasks and trials by higher-plane beings called Reapers. Band together and win the Reapers' Game and you have a shot at returning to the Real World. Fail, and you face erasure.

>What is this?
This is a Veeky Forums Homebrew RPG based on the above game. It's designed to be fast, simple and exciting, and it adapts virtually all of the mechanics from the source game to a form optimized for a tabletop experience. Most importantly, we've striven to preserve its core themes of cooperation, psychic powers and elaborate fashions.

>What system are you using?
We've adapted the core resolution mechanic from another Tabletop game Tenra Bansho Zero into our system. Roll a pool of dice based on your Stats, and count each die that's under your Skill or Psych as a success. It's fast, easy and dynamic. Characters only have four Stats based on your strength of will and mental condition, and only 9 Skills; mixing and matching Stats with Skills creates unique actions, such as rolling Protect:Rhythm to block a punch or Protect:Flow to dodge out of the way.

To flesh out your character, you come-up with free-form Tags like "The Gambler"or "Street Smarts" which describe unique elements of your character's personality and background which fills in the gaps in your Skills. Altogether, character creation takes all of five minutes.

Combat is fast and emphasizes cooperation. Players fight as a team, sharing their a common pool of HP and passing buffs to one another so that a different Player gets to the the superstar of each Round. Range is abstract, numbers are small and the action is lightning quick.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/15kJXvBVinsbst0tMWmzwaUj5ddk0hotd3nifw3Hs720/edit
docs.google.com/document/d/1JJQRubikTOJDyYnsQFCHmb_I9xMz-c-8HOazu8DIdiI/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What have you done so far?
Here's our main document, which contains all of our ideas recorded en masse. We're currently in the process of transcribing this into a properly composed PDF.
>docs.google.com/document/d/15kJXvBVinsbst0tMWmzwaUj5ddk0hotd3nifw3Hs720/edit

PDF is file if this works right. We're slowly filling out more sections of it.

>What's on the agenda?

I'm glad you asked, imaginary person in my head! Basically, what we have to do is make some sweet clothing statistics to round out basic stuff for playtesting, and we want to make some reaper sports to fill out the grid. I don't have that on hand to link here.

We still also need to discuss what's happening with trust and the UG environment. If anyone can think of something else that is imperative, please mention it.

Rolling below a number is just easier to keep track of, especially when you know the number you have to match or beat. Saying a Rank 4 Protect skill is saying you have to match or get less than 4, as opposed to having to do math to get to rolling 7 or higher.

It makes life slightly easier for people who are not good with numbers, like me. Also, it's from TBZ.

bump

bump

So, do I have to both roll dice and draw cards simultaneously with either hand to attack?

>strikingly original
>Square Enix

No no no, you roll your hands while dying your cards. Honestly, can't you people read?

>never playing the game
>judging a game on the company that makes it
lol ok

If you can find a game that has similar gameplay to TWEWY, I'll remove that part from the OP next time.

bvmp

Every time I see this, I get sad.
I think you're doing great work, I think it's wonderful that you're still going and making a decent looking game. I absolutely adore The World Ends With You and I even dare say it's my favorite game ever!
I'll never find someone to play this specific game with.

Once we get everything play test ready, we might announce something on here to pull in players. Maybe. Don't quote me on that.

Great, sounds like a plan!
I never actually tried RPing online, but maybe that's the way to go.

Can't say I've done it either, but I guess we have to since most of us either can't organise play tests with our groups or don't have groups to organise this with.

bump

I'm going to bed, so if anyone could keep the thread going so I don't have to make another one in the morning, that'd be great.

Bump

Bump

bump

bump

bump

bump

Would anyone like to share their progress?

Bumping before bed

such as what?

Good morning thread!

I'm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed today and ready to work on some Reaper Sports!

Here are our priorities:

>1. Finish the Reaper Sports
This will give GMs, especially playtest GMs, the tools they need to run a successful game

>2. Work on Psychs
The biggest piece of the puzzle. We currently have a stockpile of 18 basic (Mag-0) Pins that are ready to play, each representing a different Psych. That's over halfway to getting all the starting pins written up. That's the bulk of the work actually; once it's in place all we need to do is iterate on those basic Psychs to create more powerful ones.

>2. Work on Psychs
I think to do this, we need to flesh out the level-up system for pins and think of whether we want the beginning Mag to matter more or the final Mag. By that I mean, when you level up a pin, you add certain things to it (more damage per hit, more max damage, different Combo and Finisher, etc) at a cost of points per level that are acquired through level up, which we tried discussing in an earlier thread but didn't get very far because there was very little focus.

Basically, we should refine this system and see what we want out of it. Then from there, we decide something else. Do we want a pin to be better through progression or do we want newer pins to be generally better or perhaps the new pins may not be as strong to start with, but gaining levels with them gives more points so their overall value as an attack pin is better at the end of the day.

I'm personally in favour of the last one, because it allows more customisation with high level pins, with perhaps some form of rewrite at a cost in case the player doesn't like how they've changed the pin.

Here's my thought about levelling Pins:

At the end of each combat, players are awarded with Psych Points, which can be used to level Pins. Each Rank costs a certain number of PP to level to, and higher ranks cost less than lower ranks (I think this was your idea earlier and I like it). We can simplify the process by putting a little number in the upper corner of each rank indicator for how many PP is needed to level up to that Rank.

Maybe something like this would be fair:

(auto), 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4

So leveling to Rank 4 is fairly easy, but getting up to Rank 7 requires a significant investment of PP.

How does that look?

>higher ranks cost less than lower ranks
I don't think I suggested using that. If higher ranks are easier to get than lower ranks, then would it not be better to just powerlevel a single pin?

I think I would have said it should cost more, like your display shows. 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, etc, etc. Though I'd probably say 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8. Probably times Mag too. Then to avoid leveling Rank up before doing anything with Mag, make them lose a Rank every time they Mag-up.

But I was talking about Mag levels, not Ranks. Going from Mag 0 to Mag 1, for instance. How are we doing that?

Sorry, I phrased the backwards. Higher ranks are definitely more expensive than lower ranks.

I think the idea is that you can spend Soul in between days to increase Magnitude.

This is an important balancing act in this game because we want to keep the game faithful to the source (where you're constantly getting and leveling new Pins) while acknowledging the strengths and weaknesses of the new platform (it's not viable to have players keep track of 300 individual Pins).

How are we going to do Mag advancements? I honestly have no idea how to do it.

At the end of each day, you can spend Soul equal (# x next level of Mag) to increase a Pin's Magnitude by 1. Each time you increase Magniude, you can choose an improvement to add to the Pin. Such as:

>+[A] to Damage Limit
>+[B] to damage per Hit
>+[C] to Damage + Hits
>+1 to Range for Psychs that are not limited to Range 0
>+1 Uses

Things like that. These are just simple examples off the top of my head.

>spend Soul in between days to increase Magnitude.
I thought we were only going to do that for the IPs, not the commercial ones. And even then, that was because the pin was literally made for you.

I think the Commercial Pins (that's what I call them, correct me if I'm wrong) are just spending Sync during the day or something. Mag squared, maybe. Probably less. That'd be giving the GM lots of points to punish players with on the next day. And also, it's really hard to get that much in Sync anyway.

How about half of the Mag squared, rounded up, and the other half being GM points? So therefore,

Mag 1 costs 1 with no GM points

Mag 2 costs 2 with 2 GM points

Mag 3 costs 5 with 4 GM points

Mag 4 costs 8 with 8 GM points

Mag 5 costs 13 with 12 GM points

Mag 6 costs 18 with 18 GM points

Mag 7 costs 25 with 24 GM points

Mag 8 costs 32 with 32 GM points

Mag 9 costs 41 with 40 GM points

Like that? Or is that giving too much power to the GM? It's still a significantly less amount than before though. Perhaps just the amounts of Sync without the GM points? I'm not entirely sure what to do here.

I mainly think that's too complicated. Improving Magnitude should be a simple process on the expenditure side, since what the Player does with it is a more complex decision.

I don't see any problem with spending Soul to increase Magnitude. The main reason you'd do so on a Commercial Pin instead of just getting a Pin with higher Mag on its own is because for some reason you, particularly, have an attachment to the Pin. So you invest your Soul in it to strengthen it.

Makes sense.

Well, I'm heading to bed. I'll be back to observe discussions in about 8 or so hours.

bump

Quick bump with our current Reaper Sports and the Google Doc that goes with them:

>docs.google.com/document/d/1JJQRubikTOJDyYnsQFCHmb_I9xMz-c-8HOazu8DIdiI/edit
This is what I'm going to be aiming to work on tomorrow.

bump

bumpin