When a game does things different to be different

When a game does things different to be different.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/1383113518/tales-of-arcana-roleplaying-card-game/posts/1457006?cursor=12159096
youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8
talesofarcana.com/TalesofArcanaRules.pdf
disney.wikia.com/wiki/Heads,_You_Lose
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

[Honks Seductively]

That earth elemental female. I'd post the oglaf strip, but everyone knows the one I mean, I'm sure.

Dullahan as a race is an interesting concept. Not sure why they wouldn't have something to keep their heads in place above their bodies, though. It's a convenient vantage point that keeps both their hands free.

>Not sure why they wouldn't have something to keep their heads in place above their bodies, though.

It's fucking impressive that you have playing cards and fucking clowns as races and you still manage to have two types of elves.

That's a special kind of hell.

The Dullahans appear to be Scots

>Dullahan as a race is an interesting concept.

But how can dullahans commit suicide by hanging?

kickstarter.com/projects/1383113518/tales-of-arcana-roleplaying-card-game/posts/1457006?cursor=12159096

Races:
1. ???
2. Clown
3. Dark Elf
4. Devilkin
5. Draconic
6. ???
7. Dwarf
8. Elemental (Earth)
9. Elemental (Fire)
10. Elemental (Ice)
11. Elemental (Water)
12. Elemental (Wind)
13. Elf
14. Faerie
15. ???16. Ghost
17. ???
18. Gnome
19. Goblin
20. Gorgon
21. Harpy
22. Human
23. ???
>24. Kitsune
25. Kobold
26. ???
27. Manticore
28. Merfolk
29. Minotaur
30. Ogre
31. Orc
32. Puppet
33. ???
34. ???
35. Sasquatch
36. ???
37. Skeleton
38. Toon
39. Troll
40. Vampire
41. ???
42. War Golem
43. Zombie

Classes:
1. Barbarian
2. Bard
3. Clarion
4. ???
5. Cleric
6. ???
7. Druid
8. Engineer
9. ???
10. Fighter
11. ???
>12. Luchador
13. Magician
14. Monk
15. Ninja
16. Paladin
17. Pirate
18. Ranger
19. Rogue
20. Samurai
21. ???
22. Vampire Hunter
23. Warlock
24. ???
25. Wizard

How would you play a kitsune luchador who grapples with fluffy tails?

Website has full card list

That's an interesting variant. Two entities, the head and the body, able to operate independently but still linked. Reminds me of this video pointing out how the two halves of your brain can end up operating the same way if they get separated. Left brain can talk and is traditionally associated with reason over emotion, so the analogy works well for a Dullahan's head vs its body and heart.

youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8

There's also a race that operates in a similar sort of way in Iron Heroes (Mike Mearls' fantasy heartbreaker, no magic and lots of tokens), savage elf-like couples that function as a single entity (and were clearly a case of concept following mechanics, because their most interesting features were related to the way they shared tokens, like one of the pair beating its chest to build a berserker rage some distance away from the fight that the other of the pair was invincibly winning).

Okay, I can see how clowns can be some weird fucked up race produced by magic anomaly.

But, why the fuck dullahans and half-devils are (human-based) races instead of being templates added on top of base race?

With rope, duh.

I think sometimes dullahans are a type of fairy rather than a kind of undead. I'm sure that would warrant being their own thing.

That also explains why they're wearing tartan. Closer to the origin.

Congrats on your immersion fail. Now apply that to tieflings, aasimar, and pretty much every race not from Tolkien

I don't play dnd, thanks. In shadowrun there is no such problem. In gurps dungeon fantasy there are meta-traits for things like that plus there were guidelines for mixing races somewhere.

I don't like that
a: the word metaphysical was used twice, and I don't think they know what that word means
b:clown and card race. The rest is just meh

>How would you play a kitsune luchador who grapples with fluffy tails?
I'd prolly get kicked out if i tried

LOL good to know there's only four games and they all obey you

Dullahans are fairies in Celtic lore. Their heads are detached from their bodies and they travel on a horse-drawn wagon. If they're seen by someone, they douse the person with a bucket of blood.

Dullahans are a type of fairy.

Oh wowee, I loves clowns!

>Veeky Forums will defend clowns and playing cards as races because they're original

There's also that guy in the festhall in Planescape: Torment

>Original

They aren't even THAT. Alice in Wonderland had sapient cards and "clown" is a fucking profession.

>Alright user, what are you playing?
>I'm gonna roll a Firefighter Warlock
>For fuck's sake, user, you're such a powergaming faggot. Play something original like a CPA Barbarian

>That's an interesting variant. Two entities, the head and the body, able to operate independently but still linked. Reminds me of this video pointing out how the two halves of your brain can end up operating the same way if they get separated. Left brain can talk and is traditionally associated with reason over emotion, so the analogy works well for a Dullahan's head vs its body and heart.

I think there was an episode of the Aladdin animate series that dealt with a kingdom like that, where the head of the prince was a ruthless despot that was forcing itself to remain attached (and in charge of) the kind hearted body.

I rather like the idea of card based RPGs (does anyone here follow Thornwatch closely? I would like to know more about it), but this one seems... odd. Though I guess it makes and interesting rules light system. But it seems very... kitchen sink, with races like Clown, Robot, and fucking Puppet; classes like Luchador and Vampire Hunter; and items like chainsaw and raygun. Suppose something like this could help me come up with new character ideas when I have writers block.

Addendum: I just noticed the that cover character gorgon has bands over the mouths of her snake hair.

talesofarcana.com/TalesofArcanaRules.pdf

How is this NOT the laziest, rules-litiest system ever that makes Risus look rules-heavy?

>Files deleted
>Temp banned
Why though

What would a half-dullahan be like? Their head is just really lose?

A half-card? A half-clown?

Card people are weird and scary

Death to card people

You think right.
disney.wikia.com/wiki/Heads,_You_Lose

Not necessarily as obvious as that. I'm thinking of Ligers, where the hybrid has a trait that neither parent has.

Dullahan as a race that a person is born into is just a weird idea. Not necessarily a bad one, but a weird one nonetheless.

Those elf faces look really wrong.

Because the dude made it and produced it while you sit in a pile of half-painted Battle For MacCragge minis and unfinished character sheets

...Or they just are a seperate species from other races.

Making a half-baked game is no better.