MTG Standard Thread 3

More discussion about Standard in MTG

>brews?
>hopes for kaladesh?
>secret deck tech?

Top 8 from the Pro Tour for EMN
magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptemn

>What's Standard Legal?
Dragons of Tarkir, Magic Origins, Battle for Zendikar, Oath of the Gatewatch, Shadows over Innistrad, Eldritch Moon

Standard rotates Sept. 30th, abuse CoCo while you can!

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/revel-in-tities/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cult-of-sigarda-gw-humansinvestigate/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/humanity-and-horror/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Your waifu was a shit and died like a bitch.

>hopes for kaladesh
Untargeted version of virulent plague.

>brews?
Bant Clues. No Company because real men build decks in response to meta trends, rather than following them.

>hopes for kaladesh?
Cards that care about the number of artifacts in the field, also sacrifice outlets.

>secret deck tech?
new Tamiyo has proven excellent in clue strategies. The +1's draw is excellent, the Detain effect makes sure the enemy falls behind abd if you ulti her you basically win because you can just crack clues and keep casting shit for free.

I'm really looking forward to Kaladesh because the deck just needs a little push before it starts topping events like it was nothing.

At Gameday I played this deck against Nahiri Control and I 2-0ed the guy. Humans might not be the dominant force in the meta anymore, but Thraben Inspector is still one of the best 1-drops in Standard if only because it immediately gives you something to do T2 in the event you just didn't draw any 2-drops. Same goes for Confront the Unknown, Ongoing Investigation and Erdwal Illuminator, all seemingly inconspicuous cards that just steal the game as soon as it becomes a topdeck war.

I'm convinced the deck could consistently best Burn, Affinity & Dredge (White means best artifact and graveyard hate for the sideboard), Eldrazi and even Jund. Merfolk and Infect are probably bad matchups though.

Hey guys, total noob here. I bought the EMN spirit tokens starter and am looking to build a good white/black deck since I like their flavour the most. I opened one Sorin recently and just about jizzed my pants.

Anything I should look for in my future purchases? I'm trying to push my deck towards either control or more token spam, but I wanna keep the white/black theme.

You're in luck. BW (black and white) control is a very strong shell and can be made on different ways depending on your budget. The main idea is to get as much removal spells as you can, and a few creatures and planeswalkers strong enough to take the game by themselves. Sorin is a strong start, also look into Khalitas and Liliana. For removal languish is king in this format, but it will rotate in September.

Alright, guys, I've been thinking pretty hard about the state of standard, and it seems more or less dominated by Emrakul and Liliana decks.

It's not that these decks can't be diverse, there are certainly differences between Temur Turbo Emrakul and the Emerge heavy variant. Liliana finds home in GB Delirium as well as WB Control.

My question is whether or not there is a deck that can at least boast a 50/50 against these grindy decks and big mana decks that doesn't run one Emrakul or Liliana itself?

Wr humans is almost there, but I think 4 Kozilke's Return mainboard shuts that down.

Is Bant CoCo the only answer left? How's Season's past and Spirits doing? TurboThing? Do these even boast close to a 50/50 against Emrakul and Lily decks?

Any decks I've missed that warrant discussion?

>because real men build decks in response to meta trends, rather than following them.
Real men build decks using cards they like. Don't be a bitch.
>I'm convinced the deck could consistently best Burn, Affinity & Dredge (White means best artifact and graveyard hate for the sideboard), Eldrazi and even Jund.
Oh I'm laffin

>How's Spirits doing?
Lili is very good against them. I'm going to have to get a few Imprisoned in the Moon for the sideboard

>hopes for kaladesh?
Surprise Phyrexian invasion in the second block and and Jasetice League getting there asses kicked.

>brews?
RB Madness

What are tg thought on it?

CREATURES 24
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Vampire Cutthroat
3 Asylum Visitor
4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Furyblade Vampire
3 Incorrigible Youths
2 Stromkirk Condemned

ENCHANTMENTS 3
3 Stensia Masquerade

SPELLS 14
2 Collective Brutality
4 Fiery temper
4 Alms of the Vein
4 Tormenting voice

LANDS 19
4 Foreboding Ruins
7 Swamp
8 Mountain

I mostly play EDH so I have no idea if my deck is any good, gonna play at my LGS tomorrow so any help would be appreciated. Also, how do I sideboard?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/revel-in-tities/

Unless you're wanting to keep it super budget, I don't see a reason not to be running Olivia.

Falkenrath Gorger is probably better than Vampire Cutthroat as well and most lists I've seen have replaced Heir of Falkenrath with Olivia's Dragoons for a more consistent discard outlet.

I'd also say 19 lands is way too low, I run 24 in my vampire list because it's fine to just discard any extra once you reach 4 or 5.

Your only repeatable discard outlet triggers during your own turn. You know madness lets you cast your vampires at instant speed, right?

And consider indulgent over cutthroat; when your guys get targeted by removal spells, it's nice to be able to sac them in response.

I already beat Nahiri Control, so why wouldn't I be able to beat another T1 Modern decks?

I have mainboarded a strong lifegain subtheme so I have a good matchup against Burn. The deck's strong mid and lategame helps beat other aggro decks like Death's Shadow Zoo, Eldrazi or Affinity when they run out of steam.

Beating Jund at its own game is no simple task, specially with LotV or Bob on board, but creature-based decks are good at taking care of walkers and Bob kills its user at quite a fast rate. Clues require mana, but being able to crack several a turn means you can potentially outvalue Jund with several draws a turn, moreso with Tamiyo while still having mana to cast the cards you draw due to most of them being cmc 3 or less.

Also Spirits can deal with Lilli much easier with Anafenza.

P.S.: I do like these cards. Specially broken-ass ones like this.

Nice deck, how about including Nahiri's Wrath and Kalitas?, I think they'd work great here.

I don't like Vampire Cutthroat here though.

>I already beat Nahiri Control
>standard game day
>modern

>Specially broken-ass ones like this.
>this card
>anything even near broken

Anyone?

Check out fevered visions

hi /standard/
played UW spirits at game day yesterday and today, made semis both days
yesterday lost 1-2 to bant company, today lost to 1-2 to humans.
advice for the sideboard against humans? i need a wrath and just picked up two planar outburst today

A bud brought his Modern deck since he only met me there to exchange some cards after meeting with his modern playgroup. It wasn't a game in the tourney or anything.

Also, when you can Investigate 6-8 times per turn (even your opponent's) and investigate up to 5 times simply casting the spell with some Illuminators on the field, Confront the Unknown basically reads "(G): Answer or loose"

Post em
Went 4-1 with this got 7 packs and the sweet sweet mat. Do I need a tube for the mat? I never had a mat before.
>Bant coco/emerge: Just fuck my shit up... didn't sideboard very well. Octopus to tap all my lands on upkeep.
>Random 6 year old shit brew: beat his ass g1, then get stuck with 3 fevered visions in hand g2 against morkrut nekropod. Ass pound him g3.
>Random spirits/always watching deck:Beat him two games to one.
>Top 4 against enchantments deck: Get destroyed from looping enchantments effect pre-sideboard. Mull to 4 game 2 and keep 4 lands, but counter his first few plays and win thanks to goldknight castigator. g3, fevered visions fucks him up his ass and blood trickles down his leg as he exits the store.
>up against the same bant deck as from match 1 again. Get beat game 1 by octopus again. g2 spell fevered visions comes out and I get to spell shrivel stuff. g3 he gets stuck on 2 lands for like 6 turns even with fevered visions out.
best pull from packs was gisa and geralf or voldaren pariah.

how many turns of set up (basically doing nothing) until that card does anything? too many.

forgot pic

What's your list? I also did ur but got destroyed

those are village messenger in the upper left since my other two collective defiance didn't come in the mail yet. They're just for sneaking in a few damage when on the play.

If you can do it unimpeded then you're already winning, or your opponent is braindead. In any normal situation you're asking for getting 2-for-1.

I really fail to see how can you even think of winning against of modern Tier 1 decks if even stuff like Tier 999 deck like mono green stompy gets lethal damage as soon as turn 3, and you probably need a lot of setup. I'm really curious, just post the list.

Can be +8/+8 by T4-5. With prior damage its already a kill.

Getting one is easy enough digging with the clues themselves. That may reduce Confront the Unknown's effectiveness, but at the same time it pumps all Tireless Trackers in the field. Have more than one and you are already winning on the exchange.

Too bad tracker is unplayable by modern standards. It's a 3 mana drop that does nothing when he hits the field, and dies to a bolt.

Reposting this silly brew of mine from the last thread. TGs thoughts on it?

Creatures
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1 Kozilek, the Great distortion
1 Desolation Twin
1 Oblivion Sower
1 Conduit of Ruin
3 Matter Reshaper
2 Thought-knot Seer
2 Endbringer
2 Reality Smasher
2 Endless One
2 Eldrazi Mimic
2 Walker of the Wastes

Spells
4 Warping Wail
4 Titan's Presence
4 Spacial Contortion
1 Scour from existence
1 Gruesome slaughter

Artifacts
2 Hedron Archive

Lands
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Shrine of the Foresaken Gods
16 Wastes

Sideboard
4 Eternal Scourge
4 Hedron Crawler
2 Hedron Archive
and nothing else because I didn't have anything else to throw in that I would have used or fit.

There's no real way for your opponent to stop you from generating clues. The real value comes from the Erdwal Illuminators, you just gotta investigate once each turn (your opponent's included) and there's plenty of ways to make it happen:
>Casting creatures with Bygone Bishop and Thraben Inspector
>Tireless Tracker gives them on Landfall
>Ongoing Investigation gives one if you damage the foe and, most importantly, lets you investigate at instant speed while gaining life with its secondary ability

In the end its a Clue free-for-all and your opponent can't do much about it except mass creature removal like Languish. But that's what Quellers are for.

I also actually won at T10 after grinding the opponent out. I could have done it sooner but I couldn't generate many clues early on (consistency isn't usually a problem, but I was able to gain huge amounts of life off the ones I got, so that helped against bolts and snappies.

>jeskai control
>wasting bolts on melting someone's face instead of regaining the board control (>losing board control when playing a controling deck against a standard deck)
>turn 10
>no emrakul out

He fucked up hard.

this is standard general.

Actually, the most crucial moment of the game was when my friend bolted the tracker I had on the field T5. It had a +1/+1 counter on it though I didn't anymore clues, but then I used Ongoing Investigation's ability and cracked the clue, saving my Tracker... Until it got Pathed next turn.

Still, I managed to kill the Nahiri on board and I still got value out of it (had to deal with three throughout the game).

Also, if you haven't played a land before casting Tracker you can play a land and get a clue instantly because lands don't go in the stack.

Anyways, yes, things die to removal. But when you play a lot of creatures its very hard for the opponent to remove everything.

collected company + trash cards = trash deck (and you prob don't even run collected company)

God I can't wait until Pissa finally dies. I want Emrakul to utterly break her mind and torture her for untold days, killing her and resurrecting her so that she can die again. her body will be an utter wreck but her mind will still be alive as Emrakul's tentacles wrap around her every thought and synapse, turn every childhood memory into a horrible nightmare. Every time she flees for some happy thought as a refuge, like a mouse fleeing the scissors you grab it by the tail and drag it back. Her death would be utterly exquisite, and the rest of the Jacetice league would have it beamed to them telepathically, getting a front-row seat watching Nissa's brain utterly ravaged and destroyed. She will be shown things that utterly contradict the reality she knows, and raped by them. The wacko Far Realm beasts from wherever the fuck the Eldrazi come from will have their way with her every second of every day, and Emrakul will create a time loop and trap her within it, forcing her to experience a single second of pain stretched over 40 years, so that she lives literal milennia in true pain. Emrakul will resurrect every dead elf Nissa ever loved and kill them in front of her, over and over, each elf will die 10 times and the entire death sequence will repeat 10 times so she will be tortured 100 times the number of elves she knew. After that she might be finally allowed to die, but her soul will be so wracked by nonsenisical, reality-warping power that it will be truly unable to die, and Nissa will be buried by her fellows, still completely aware, the pain of her infinite torture still within her, as she is buried alive and slowly rots over the coming months. She will feel every worm, every maggot, every bacterium that feasts on her corpse, and know it is her punishment for releasing the Eldrazi in the first place, like the dumb bitch she is.

He did bolt my creatures every time, i just refused to let go and played more. Also having my creatures be removed was crucial to winning later in the game as I mentioned here Also he did damn try to get Emrakul out. He almost made it with the second Nahiri too.

I don't run enough creatures to run Company.

Also here's the list after yesterday's changes after testing Tamiyo:

Creatures: (21)
>Thraben Inspector x4
>Jaddi Offshot x2
>Erdwal Illuminator x4
>Spell Queller x4
>Graf Mole x3
>Tireless Tracker x4
>Felidar Sovereign x2

Planeswalkers: (3)
>Tamiyo, Field Researcher x3

Enchantments: (4)
>Ongoing Investigation x4

Sorceries: (4)
>Declaration in Stone x4

Instants: (4)
>Confront the Unknown x4

Lands: (24)

I tried making a deck off the cards I have, but it's not performing that great. I don't have many cards as I'm new to this game

Cut the blue famalam

My waifu never died

Is this a spicy new copypasta?

Is it bad that I found this pretty arousing? at least up until the the part where she rots.

But that's the best part....

No? I jsut wrote it. I hope that happens to Nissa but Wizards doesn't have the balls to kill off a female character.

> unironically playing 3 color in Standard

It's like you want to get rekt.

Is it bad that I found this pretty arousing? Including the the part where she rots.

Only characters from before the mending can be good waifus, so lily technically counts, the rest deserve

Thing is, if you bolt the Trackers you can't prevent the clue engine from going off and bolting the Illuminators is just a waste of time because the Trackers are still going to get a shitload of clues AND are going to grow beyond bolt range.

And if you can't even choose what to bolt between trackers and Illuminators there's Quellers too. There's just no way to remove everything before something gets you. Maybe trackers and fliers beat you down, maybe you got one-shotted by Confront the Unknown, maybe Tamiyo managed to cast her Ulti or maybe it was the Felidar Sovereign, of all things.

Its just too many things to take care of, something ends up getting you.

"Man, this deck is really sweet, but I feel like it's missing something. Felidar Sovereign. Ya, that's what it was."

You'd be surprised. A single Graf Mole in the background can net you quite a handful of life. Whenever I've played the game I've gotten to astronomic life totals throughout the game. That's why Felidar Sovereign is there as a 2-of, because it makes for an excellent topdeck lategame. It IS a pete peeve card of mine though.

I'd love for Lilliana to get raped by Garruk and each of his animals. Or die being ripped apart by Phyrexians. She's kinda cool though. I bet she's a fuckin kinky animal in bed. Does she fuck Jace or has WotC made all the characters homosexual like they did with D&D and Pathfinder?

>Edge

Chandere? That you?

I think they've fucked before

it is time

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cult-of-sigarda-gw-humansinvestigate/

Wellp. This deck had a few really good games, a few wins that absolutely stomped, but ultimately fell short.

I blame a few misplays on my part, but more important a complete failure of my sideboard.

>Always Watching in a token list
No wonder it failed, try Second Harvest next time.

Maybe because it's not a token list.

D E L I R I U M
E
L
I
R
I
U
M

>Generates a shitliad of Human tokens
>Also Lots of clue tokens
>Is not a token list
Sure thing pal. Pray tell, what it is, then?

A human deck using clues to keep up card draw.

>Also, if you haven't played a land before casting Tracker you can play a land and get a clue instantly because lands don't go in the stack.
the stack must be empty for you to play a land and the opponent can respond to Tracker entering the battlefield.

Is the Investigate mechanic any good to build a deck around?

Read the thread bruh. There's been a few clue decks discussed.

for casual play, yes. don't expect to win any FNMs though unless your competition is weak.

>for casual play, yes
>don't expect to win any FNMs though
>FNMs
>casual play
>different
People like you are killing the game.

Don't you know fnm is only for the top 8 net deck if whatever the latest event was? God you casuals

The fact that Tolarian "Casual Beyond Belief" Community College hosts a podcast that does nothing but talk about tournaments and tournament decks should give you an indication, nigga

There sure are a lot of freeze spells and creatures in Eldritch Moon. Stuff that makes creatures tap and not untap on their next turn.

Is that a viable mechanic to build around?

>casual play
kitchen table, EDH
>not-casual play
structured tournaments from fnm to pt
>tryhard play
pt

No. CoCo and Temurge will outpace your tapdowns, and BW control's Lili just doesn't care about them. Might be okay against Delerium, but you really don't want to stall for a long time into an Emrakul.

>Temurge
>doesn't even use our lord and savior sarkhan
what kind of a crap temur build

Lili and Jace totally got it on at least once.

>I'd love for Lilliana to get raped by Garruk and each of his animals.
I wouldn't count on it.
>Or die being ripped apart by Phyrexians.
Probably not.
>She's kinda cool though. I bet she's a fuckin kinky animal in bed.
A potentially accurate statement.

Wew lad I'm at work but I'm gonna reply with a lot of advice when I get home.

I just checked collective defiance glad I bought like 10 copies cause I thought it was op.

Same goes for crypt breaker but for now I was wrong on that one.

it's op until you get blown out by a spell queller.

anyone else sick of the justice league? mtg wasnt about these 5 dick heads back in 7th ed when I started.

If this deck is so good I wonder why nobody played it a pro tour... Maybe because it does nothing for like 5 turns hoping for your opponent to just watch you across the table? Bant coco/GB delirium decks can easily outvalue it. The first just put threats on the board and force you into defensive, the second can just 1-for-1 and then outvalue you.

Trips speak truth. I'm all about fun and shit brewing but let's not kid ourselves by thinking clue storm is some hidden deck tech to break standard.

The only cards I would consider threats are trackers and maybe Quellers, other than that it doesn't do much.

Plenty of people are tired of Planeswalkers in general and the Superfriends in particular, or at least the consistent efforts of the writers to make them the most important shits in the multiverse

>tfw I just want to see Jace dead

So there is no judge thread up so figured I would ask here while burn is on the come up

Whats this cards interactions with madness? How can I or my opponent maximize damage from him? When do I tap him when sequencing things?

Lets say I have a alchemist on the field and I want to cast tormenting voice discarding fiery temper for cost

What am I doing and when to be efficient?
Also where do madness cards go? It says "cast or it goes to the grave" but everyone seems to just place them in the grave regardless.

There's minimal consequence in tapping alchemist early unless you need it to block or bluff you have anything.

You could sequence your turn like this
1)Tap alchemist
2) Cast Tormenting Voice discarding Temper, putting Madness and Thermo triggers on the stack, Thermo trigger on the top.
3) Resolve Thermo untap
4) Tap Thermo to ping
5) Resolve Madness casting fiery Temper and putting Thermo untap on stack
6) Resolve Thermo untap
7) Resolve Fiery Temper
8) Resolve Tormenting Voice

Then tap Thermo again at the end your opponents turn.

Madness cards go to exile from discard, then they can be casted. Then they go to graveyard after resolving. Usually players just shotcut and put them to grave.

I'm not a judge though so take it as you may.

I just hope it isn't the same shitty steampunk as Mirrodin was.

How is my deck? It's the first deck I've ever put together for standard

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/humanity-and-horror/

Do you run oath of gideon with tamiyo? I'm surprised I haven't seen it more often.

I don't even know what I'm looking at.

What's the general idea here supposed to be?

Humans turning into horrors. I just liked Hanweir the Writhing Township so I wanted a deck built around it

I don't really know what I'm doing

Thinking about getting back into MTG again after being away for literally years. How are things going nowadays? How expensive is it to buy the cards you need, how many top tier decks are there that are at least relatively budget-friendly? How much do you spend on MTG Standard per year?

I'm thinking of just re-installing Cockatrice and playing on that. Love the game but the money you have to keep putting into it always bothered me.

Just got my first booster-box, what should I do with it? Pack-wars until I find which art has the mythics and then draft with the rest?

Draft!

Buying sealed is a waste of money unless you draft with some friends.

Working on reviving one of my pre-EMN decks and need some feedback. Deck list is as follows:
Creatures (15)
>2x Drownyard Explorers
>2x Erdwal Illuminator
>2x Pia and Kiran Nalaar
>3x Reclusive Artificer
>2x Thopter Engineer
>4x Whirler Rogue

Sorcery (4)
>4x Press for Answers

Artifact (6)
>2x Alchemist's Vial
>1x Alhammarret's Archive
>3x Prism Ring

Enchantment (11)
>4x Ghirapur AEther Grid
>2x Ongoing Investigation
>2x Thopter Spy Network
>3x Trail of Evidence

Instant (6)
>2x Anticipate
>2x Confirm Suspicions
>2x Jace's Scrutiny

Land (18)
>2x Evolving Wilds
>8x Island
>2x Mountain
>3x Shivan Reef
>3x Swiftwater Cliffs

The idea behind the deck is to get an Aether Grid out as soon as possible and start generating clues and thopters to kill anything my opponent puts out. Thopter spy network + Alhammarret's Archive will provide insane card draw. Archive + Prism Ring provides decent life gain. It works well enough and is extremely fun to play. I want to get a few more good games with it before it's no longer standard legal. Are there any EMN cards I could add to it to make it more effective? Also, what's a good replacement for Swiftwater Cliffs?

>Liliana, The Last Hope is $44.99 american
Justify this. I understand that it's a good card in standard, but I've never seen it in any other format, and I don't think it has any other non-niche playability. Is this all speculative investors trying to artificially inflate the price of a card because reasons? This isn't a Kalitas situation, or even a Nahri situation, it's literally the opposite. No one is using this card for anything significant outside of standard, does standard playability alone justify the price tag?

Basically why I switched to playing hearthstone and cockatrice instead, with budget cheapo decks for FNM with buddies.

Baneslayer Angel.
BabyJace.
Etc.

There's always one hideously over-valued card that's dirt outside of standard.

I disagree with the result, but I understand your premise. This is why I play commander, I can buy a single of just about everything. No fucking way I'm going to spend 224ish on a card that has absolutely no value once standard rotates.

>baby jace
Yup, that's exactly what I mean. Snapcaster is objectively better, and now you can buy one for like $25. As soon as it rotates, I can't see it being more than $15, and even that's over priced. I think it's a problem with the format. Certain cards that have no playability will become staples of temporary deck archetypes, and people will pay a shitload of money for them because their self-worth is based on winning the most accessible format of magic outside of drafts. It just doesn't make sense, particularly when new Thalia is amazing in a couple of decks, and EM has some of the most playable commons/uncommons since delve. I just didn't know whether there was a reasonable justification for it.

A little too late, opened 1/3 of the box, as the Tamiyo-boosters had an Ishkanah, the second Ishkanah I got is foil. I'll use the 20 other boosters for drafts.

Rate.

Has anyone made a good Gisela deck yet?

Snapcaster is a bit better, but Jace is a very different card and both see play even in same decks. Snapcaster has a higher floor, which is important in any format with Lightning Bolt, while Jace has much much higher ceiling. Just a merfolk looter has won many many games of Magic by itself while Jace also offers spell recursion and a powerful +1 and win condition for only 2 mana. Jace has been the most powerful card in Standard since Origins and saw play as a 4x in many decks (Esper and UW control, Jeskai, 4c goodstuff, Bant Company, Rally the Ancestors, UR, basically any blue deck). It's only stopped so low because WotC did not print any playable blue cards afterwards in fear of Jace.

Liliana is a 3 mana walker. 3 Mana walker does not need to do much to be powerful and Liliana's plus ability is gamebreaking considering how early in the game she comes out. I don't think there's any two-drop in standard that has any power left after getting plussed on and many creatures outright die to it. From there it's relatively easy to keep plussing Lilly until she ultimates while her -2 is also powerful. The only reason she is not played in modern is because LotV exists and even then I could see people running her.

If every standard player want's to play 4 copies of a given mythic that's sure to become expensive.

Thalia in comparison is relatively fair card that some decks run as a few copies and is not a mythic.

Also German highlander is way better than commander.

>buy foreign product
>friends dont retain knowledge of shit so cant remember what the cards do
>cant draft with my foreign product

shit sucks

Quit buying foreign cards?

Bump, anything I should trade before the price drops?