WIP Work In Progress General

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous thread:

>paint model in subassemblies
>glue it together with drop of superglue
>drop was too big
>excess came out
>eats some paint up to bare plasic
>get mad as fuck
>GF suggest to make it look like a wound/scar or something like that

thanks god i have her

Chaos Black or Abaddon Black to produce a matte finish? I'm that DKoK user from last thread and it's for the helmets, I want to add some chips to them too so matte would be best.

Latest KD mini finished. Kingsman, mostly based on the concept art. Up next is King's Hand.

Not quite done, but getting there. Will only be doing eight, since I'm missing a few bits for the last two marines.

They should be identical (roughly). Abaddon black is just the rebranded chaos black.

>Abaddon Black is just the rebranded Chaos Black

Thank you, I'm an idiot. I've got a bunch of paints from when I first played the hobby in my early teens and they're all under different names now.Really nice models, love the gradient on the plasma guns.

Is any SM chapter particularly well known for using heavy bolters? Asking because I need inspiration for my heavy bolter deathwatch marine

duncan has been saying in his recent videos that they have a different finish, that you'll notice if you put abaddon over chaos.

he's talking about the chaos black spray

chaos black paint will also look slightly different to the chaos black spray

I think I'll pick up the new paint then. A lot of my old paints have good really liquidy so I think they need to be replaced.

How do you guys glue your minis? I swear super glue doesn't hold them together for shit.

I use plastic glue. I'm one of those fags who glues and bases the entire mini together first (unless its some really obv thing like an interior) and paints whats seen.

What a fag.

First time working with green stuff trying to make a mask not unlike the one Crossbones had in the last Captain America movie.
How bad is it?

I am working on a servitor for my techpriest. Do you think having both a servo arm and heavy bolter in it at once looks tacky or is it cool? I was thinking I could also use a heavy stubber or storm bolter in its place if the heavy bolter was to big.

option2 heavy stubber

I think the stubber is too big, the heavy bolter is probably a better choice

All your options are way oversized. If you're going to make the weapons that big, put the servitor on a track mount.

same here. I find it much more of a pain in the ass to keep track of a bunch of different bits on an already cluttered desk than to hold my brush at an odd angle once in a while. Also what can't be seen doesn't need paint imo

Looks great!!

option 2 take 2 i moved the ammo to the back and am going to greenstuff a ammo belt

Someone in the malifaux thread told me to come over to ask if ya'll had any tutorials on how to do a starscape on models. I have a Bunch of oni that just came out that I think I want to try and give them such a treatment.

I like it. what do you all think now that the ammo belt is in place?

also i can show how i made the belt and wires if you want.

sorry I don't have any advice for you, don't suppose you could take a picture of the back of Asami though?

>tfw painting buddha
It's such an utterly inadequate feel.

Different user but I'm also wondering what the back of asami's head looks like. If you wait a bit though I'm sure some other user has some advice for you, I've seen some really cool starscapes on minis before in here

sure give me 2 sec. it's a little bit of a pain to put on desu

My apologies for the quality.

thanks for posting it.
I'm not too keen on asami's model I was hoping seeing the back of it would change my mind, it did not,

the mouth was a pain to put on, like juggling parts more than a few times. I think I'm gonna paint her then replace her with a model with a shamasin or something that way I have the real thing when someone doesn't like my proxy.

Not sure if anyone remembers me but I posted some first time minis a few weeks ago of some Ultra Marines from one of those starter sets.

Anywho, since then I picked up Death Company cause they looked neat and have finally somewhat finished this guy. Learned a lot while doing it, such as using wet pallets, sharp brushes and son on. Also a friend gave me an old magnifying lamp which has been a god send.

Looking for critiques please, this is my 3rd mini so far and have already started to prime my 4th.

anyone have the space marine chapter "roll" image? gonna say fuck it and do whatever I roll so long as it isn't something blue

I can only imagine how irritating it was to assemble, i've got Nellie's box coming in the mail at the moment, the printing press is in so many pieces it's ridiculous.

Love those plasma guns.

yan lo's beard level of difficulty.

Any recommendations on plastic glues then?

its a cool idea, but as other anons have said, the gun (and now the cabling and wires) is way out of scale with the body and it just looks sort of slapped together because of that. reducing the length and diameter of the barrel would probably help a lot, and making the wires thinner by ~50%

What's the advice on trying to do lettering? Are there types of brushes or pens to do such fine work?

testor's model master works well, as does plasti-zap

How short should i make the barrel then?

Also the cabling isn't much bigger than on a scion's gun, which i thought was ok.

Just finished painting up a mind flayer for my D&D group. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I wish I had a better lighting station because it really looks better in person than in the photos.

Also, I have found that I LOVE highlighting cloth. It's so much fun to build up a bunch of layers of progressively lighter highlights.

I like it

Thanks user! I hope my players like it!

I just recently assembled these scouts with custom Camo Cloaks. Now I'm thoroughly irritated that the normal kit doesn't come with 5 bolters, or 5 of ANYTHING really. And I had to cut up and pare nearly everything just to avoid mono-posing the scouts.

So first of all, why are the GW scouts completely fucking aweful?

Second, I need some ideas on how to make the Aluminium foil more sturdy.

Well I couldn't find a model with a shamisen, but after looking through the Bushido models I think I'm gonna roll with this one as a proxy.

So I shortened the barrel, and I started on another servitor. This one was inspired by futurama's character The Clamps.

How do I get a properly rich, regal and royal purple or pink for my Emperor's Children? They keep coming across as too dark purple or bright pink.

stop using pink to highlight your purple, and wash it purple near or at the end.

Just stick with Xereus Purple as base and night mix Genestealer in to lighten it? What should I highlight with?

What paintbrushes do you guys use?
I've been using citadel ones for the most part but after a recent stroke of bad luck (all of the newest ones ive purchases have killed themselves for some unknown reason) I need some more, so amazon it is.

No.

Winsor & Newton Series 7 longhair. Got a 2, a 0, and a 000. They aren't cheap, but they're worth it.

thanks senpai

Wait a minute, the Carcharodons are on there twice.

The Ranger, here to do some business with his big iron.

I definitely think it looks better, and I like the ribbing that you've done on the cables

god, I really hate this thing

jesus christ, those are sexy
they really make me question what chapter i want to do
is there other chapters that do the different coloured sergeant helmets?

Imperial Fists come to mind.

Phone posting like a pleb for the first time.

WIP of my Bog Trogs, should be done with one more day of BS. God I hate those old sculpts. Shame cuz I like the designs.

One of those will glue 2 big armies without breaking a sweat.

Sick!

I love the guy with his arms open wide going full COME AT ME BRO

Mostly finished other than base and rider, also the eyes

gorgeous

Came out very well, I like the brightly colored fins

Very nice work man.

#
#
#
#

Wow, /WIP/ is kind tonight.
Thanks!

Scout sculpts are as old as catachans.

i have one

oh hey i do have a DA paint tester

That is really well done user

Just credit where credit is due. You put in the work and it shows.

>why are the GW scouts completely fucking aweful?

Because they are over 10 years old and GW didn't bother to update them

>2 big armies

You can build like 10 with one bottle of glue like this

Posting some of my WIPs

First up is the Seated Terminator Captain - Its the model from the Space Hulk boxed game with the skull head shaved down and replaced with bald rebreather marine head, The hair is sculpted out of green stuff.

I wanted to harken back to the old rogue trader era lord marcragge in the fact that the mini was seated on his throne, surveying the battlefield, giving the miniature gravitas.

marines

Captain WIP

Camo marine WIP

Catachan rhino with crew WIP

You're probably right.

I did 2 with my current bottle and the metal nozzle/ the consistency of the glue is kinda fucked. But then again, the blockage can be easily cleared with tweezers and a lighter.

i had one of these for a couple of years and it clogged several times, lighter always fixed it.
Granted, i did not build whole armies during that time but still, glue is a absolute minimal investment.

Camo work on catachan proxies (mostly Void 1.1 viridian stuff from scotia-grendel) - painting these up in the style of Rhodesian special forces as inspiration. Have a fucking shit load of them (250+) to get through so looking for the least time consuming camo shcheme possible.

Prone commandos for the IG space rhodesian army. GW are notorious for not doing enough prone and kneeling poses on their IG stuff so its good to find an alternative.

That camo looks nothing like rhodesian camo though ;_; But nice idea.

Im trying to 'suggest' the look rather than replicate it completely.
Pic related is what im going for, The most important part (imo) in getting the rhodesian look right is the camo'd up FAL (or lasgun in this case)

true.

RHODESIANS NEVER DIE!

I have a couple of whitemetal rhodesian minis from eureka. Never found the time to paint them.. maybe i should finally do it

Think i know the set. Would love to see them if you do get them done.

Im working on doing some vintage 40k stormtroopers (the mid 90s plastic beret ones) in Sealous Scout style.

Forgot pic. These ones yeah?

This is great work, the wash on the handle has really added a bit of texture, and the parchment looks worn and weathered and has decent freehand squiggles on it. If I had to critique it, the eye look a little dead. Everyone does marine eyes differently, and whilst yours are inside the lines unlike a lot of painter's, I do think perhaps some highlighting in the corners would brighten them up a bit. Someone else in the thread would probably better than me for this as I've not painted marines in years and when I did they were dreadful. Perhaps it's just the lighting, but the left arm of the model blends in a little too well with the hammer, particularly the power cable. If it's a cybernetic arm, I think you'll need to use a slightly different colour or darken the cable considerably. Even just adding a darker colour into the recesses of the cable would help a bit here. Perhaps the arm stands out a bit more because I'm looking at it in contrast with the other one.

Overall, this is a really great model, especially for one so new to painting. Death Company are fun models to paint and you're really making the most of them.

Exactly. No machine gunners sadly. When i ordered these i didn't have much money and wanted some stuff from their other ranges as well.

Really great quality stuff all around btw.
I wanted to prime a couple of minis later anyway, i guess i'll slip these in too.

btw, you linked their portuguese, they are armed with G3s instead of FALs. I have only one of these.

Can they really be rhodesians without the shorts?

Hold me, /wip/.

Order it from china, fool.

Always a fan of your old school style made new user.

Great work.

Eyes and glinting objects like gems in general could be better. The warhammertv channel had a tutorial where they showed how to make BA gems, it was the Rhino tutorial.
Also, there's a tiny moldline on the hammer.

But excellent work overall, I remember your UM and they were impressive for a first fime.
Keep going.

I mean, it seems well painted but god damn it lad, take a proper picture. And then make a montage on paint, without forgetting to resize.

Finally, new thing going on the Warhammertv fb page people! Called Tip of the day, about a minute long, perfect stuff. Today's theme is painting NL armor. Tomorrow is most likely to be how to do the lightnings. Can't post the link because of spam protection but go check it out.