Hol

What's the difference between a priest and a cleric, Veeky Forums?

Speaking the word of your god, and being the word of your god.

He's got a dictionary, right? Ask him.

/thread

That's a bible

Priest: Focus more on the word and the spirit, probably watching over a congregation in a more peaceful role.

Cleric: Similar to a priest only in their service of a deity - they focus on serving their deity in a martial capacity and at best will preach as they travel.

Paladins: Can sometimes end up like more martial clerics, but usually focus on more general goodness. Still sometimes serve a deity though, albeit more loosely than a cleric would.

Are you telling me the bible has fancy words that don't mean shit to normal people, too?

A priest usually doesn't fight.

This is entirely wrong. Where did you develop these fucked-up definitions?

A priest preaches, a cleric represents, a paladin crusades.

Clerics got magic and can join your party.

Priests stay at the church and might have magic but if they do they charge you money to heal, cure or revive your party and you have to go to the darn Church every time.

Evidently is clever to have a Cleric join your party as soon as possible since is cheaper.

Is DFO split between pandering to females and males now, or is it still slanted towards one side?

It's both.

Get a lesbian cleric and you can pander to both as yuri is actually more popular with females than males.

Watching over a congregation includes preaching.

Clerics are inherently a martial class despite their use of divine magic, since they wear armor and bear weapons. You might represent a more peaceful god or even an uncaring one, but you're gonna do some fighting or take some hits no matter how much magic you sling or wounds you heal.

Crusading isn't necessarily a part of a paladin's MO. They don't go out doing Dues Vult, since they don't even have to be serving a deity to get their powers - they just have to focus on goodness, or in the case of 5e take on an Oath. The only time paladins had to directly serve a god was in 4e, where they were more like holy warriors that I feel stepped too much on the cleric's role.

What kind of fantasy priest charge money for healing?
And why are you playing in a irl medieval setting?

they mean the same thing: a person with religious authority, with a little nuance. "cleric" is usually applied in a christian or muslim context. within christianity, "priests" are usually catholic or orthodox.

in D&D, the cleric was one of the original three classes, they were christian-themed, decent in frontline combat and capable of healing. priest has never been used for a specific class to my knowledge (in 2e, it was used as a generic term for divine magic users, including druids, who were originally a stand-in for pagan priests).

in a wider context, having a "cleric" class in your game is usually a signal that you're following the D&D model (blunt-weapon users, heavily armoured, more like holy warriors) while "priest" classes are usually more like a convential, real-world priest with magic. but there are no hard rules.

I dunno about your games, but I've seen just as many "suggested" tithing plates in game as I've seen irl.

>being this wrong

Maybe for some reason the priests aren't using a holy symbol? Could have to give up a few chunks of diamond for some holy spell.

>The more rich you are
>The more powerful your spells are

Armour proficiency.

Come on, don't tell me you haven't actually looked at what's required to cast spells if you aren't using a focus?

They have a bretty gud balance going on.

Knight hits that sweet spot being total titty monster and yuri undertones so she can also appeal to both.

Being the word is more along the lines with Favored Soul

Nope. ;_;

Well, stuff like divine spells after a certain level have a material cost if you aren't using something like a holy symbol to act as a focus. So you'd need stuff like fragments of a diamond, a piece of a saint's bone, or other vague stuff like that to cast a powerful enough spell. Though more mundane spells will probably only have a small cost.

Will a tattoo of your god's symbol work as a focus?

one will set you up for pedophilia jokes

Put simply, A Priest is a pure caster, a Cleric is a combat caster.

IMO, in D&D terms, a priest doesn't have magic like a cleric. They're the entirely mundane faithful of a god, and the most numerous.

Actual clerics should be fairly rare, like wizards and sorcerers are.

I could see this happening to a converted group of pagans mixing their magic with divine.

>What's the difference between a priest and a cleric, Veeky Forums?
In AD&D 1e, "priest" referred to a third level cleric.

>Will a tattoo of your god's symbol work as a focus?
Some games sometimes let you do that.

The general rule for dnd-like games is that any holy symbol must be clearly and obviously presented on the cleric's person, such as worn on clothing or painted on a shield.

As a DM I'd let a tattoo work only when it's quite obviously visible to anyone looking in your direction.You could get one on your forehead or your chest, but to be used as a focus the tattoo must be bared and visible.

You could also probably do something like get a ritual scarification in the shape of your holy symbol. I think that would be kinda neat.

My first thought was back of the hand, and you brandish it at people when you smite or cast.

That's one way to do it, yeah. You could also get ones on your forehead or face, although you'd probably look like a cross between a skinhead and a gang member.

It's not much of an issue for most clerics, since they typically get holy symbols painted onto their shields, which they carry regardless for the armor bonus.

A cleric could also carry a staff with a holy symbol at the end of it, although generally speaking clerics like using their mace and shield.

Whenever I hear about a holy symbol tattoo, I immediately think of it being on the palm of the hand.

>holy pimp slapping

Priests are heads of the church building I believe, like the man is the head of the household.

Cleric is a general term for the clergy.

Paladins are knights of Charlemagne's Court, misappropriated to Crusader in D&D.

>my language education ended in the 8th grade when I flunked and dropped out of school
>I will just call anyone who speaks above my level pretentious so I can keep up with the conversation
>if questioned on this I will post that Hemingway facebook image macro

wew lad what a circumlocuitious route to establishing yourself as a mental invalid, the vicissitudes of fate sure taste a bitter melancholy, dont they cuck?

More or less.

I don't care what people say. Keanu was awesome as Constantine.

Eh.

That movie would be great... if it wasn't meant to be Constantine.

>Priest
Cloth, caster, heals and buffs.
>Cleric
Mail, more caster than martial, less heals than priest. Buffs.
>Paladin
Plate, more martial than caster, less heals than cleric. Buffs and auras.

Peter Stormare as Lucifer was fucking amazing. Tilda Swinton as Gabriel was also top notch.

I like it as a reimagining of the comic. It's not Hellblazer, its Constantine. The short lived TV show on the other hand is very much Hellblazer.

A priest is an in-universe title for a holy man, whereas the cleric is a real world title for a Christian or Muslim religious leader and the title for the class that represents those who serve gods. Cleric can be used as a title for in-universe holy leader above that of a priest.

>dont they cuck?

>Priest
A literal parish priest, nothing more, nothing less, in a fantasy setting he probably does some minor minor healing or stuff, it's literally just a priest

>Cleric
Battle priest, defender of the faith, bearer of the word and wrath of the gods, slayer of undead and demons and annihilator of heretics and convertor of heathens, a good balance between martial and divine channeling, probably does regular priest stuff too

>Paladin
Righteous, chivalrous, questing knight with the odd powerful boon from the gods, otherwise strictly martial

Noice

circumlocuitous*

I kind of want to make a story about the warring factions of the Church. Know any good causes for this?

Hellsing has a 13th division of the Catholic Church that does shady shit. Arguably they might get into it with the other more mainline divisions. They also beef with the protestants a lot.

IRL there's a subset of really stupid people who segregate themselves based on what they believe about their supernatural figure. Your guess as to whether I mean jews or muslims.

altar boys

Whatever your setting says the difference is.

They are just words, yo.

>warring factions of the Church
So many ways for it to work.

>There are two or more different people claiming to be head of the church, both of them have somewhat reasonable claims
>Some folks think the current leadership is corrupt and straying from the true mission, the others think overturning it is heresy
>One side thinks circumcision or a similar practice should be mandatory, the other does not.
>Some people think that graven images of the god or another other major figure are heresy, the other side thinks they are useful tools of worship
>One or more regions' rulers wish to establish influence over their local branches of the church. Some nationalists think it's a good idea, some don't like it.
>Some worshipers think that the beastmen and monsters can be saved or redeemed, but others point to the main book saying that it's heretical to befriend them
>There have been attempts to translate the holy book from its original language to make it more accessible to outlying branches of the faith. Some people think it's heresy to read a translated version, because that can lead to inaccuracies
>The usual human reason for such conflict: one ambitious, egotistical person has gotten in the way of another's advancement. Neither will back down.

I could probably spend all night coming up with reasons for conflict to occur. More likely than not, it's going to be a combination of a lot of things coming together.

You can also look for real reasons that this kind of stuff has happened IRL.

>The short lived TV show on the other hand is very much Hellblazer.
Don't remind me. RIP in peace.

In the original D&d mini war game the cleric was envisioned as an anti undead/monster hunter, created to kill Sir Fang the twink ass vampire.

Extrapolating from this, a Cleric is a professional monster hunter empowered by God and the Church.

Not to be confused with an Inquisitor, an investigator empowered by God and the Church, or a Paladin, a soldier empowered by God and the church.

Priest = divine wizard
Cleric = divine ranger
Inquisitor = divine rogue
Paladin = divine fighting man
Favored Soul = Divine Sorcerer
Chanticleer = Divine Bard
Zealot = Divine Barbarian

>What kind of fantasy priest charge money for healing?
A cleric of Waukeen, because the exchange of money for services itself is a sacred act

Priest is a job.

Cleric is a class.

Paladin is a lifestyle

RTS with altar boys as the sole resource when

A priest is a priest while cleric is a magic user in the service of a God who chose them and they don't have to serve willingly or piously as long as they don't go out of their way to oppose their deity.

So literally the difference between a preacher and THE CHOSEN ONE.