MTG Commander/EDH

Spoilers are go edition

Previous thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

That's kinda neat. Maybe a little underwhelming but still looks interesting

Hopefully there's some good support/synergy with the last Conspiracy set

New Will of the Council mechanic

This will be a blowout

Benefits to attacking around

Oh Jeez I can't wait to abuse this with Plea for Power in Melek

Rattlesnake / Gahiji decks get new toys

Relies on having a big board and good combats or evasion. I'm sceptical.

More new council. This card's gonna be nuts with

They actually did it

I'm pretty excited for this set now

That little gremlin is going to be in my nightmares i just know it

I mean jesus shit look at that little freak

Yuck

First of all, nice quads. Checked.

Second of all: I've been wanting to build a Mardu Political Punisher deck for the longest time. The closest thing was Tariel but honestly, Tariel kind of sucks. Queen Marchesa seems REALLY fun, and losing Monarch status rewards you with good tokens.

Guess I'm having two Mardu decks.

I know this is for draft but this is still pretty wild

Forget a token reminder card, I know what I'm bringing to the draft.

Dethrone and Monarch are going to have some hefty consequences

Damn. That's crazy

I like you

Melee is really similar to the mechanic of the same name from A Game of Thrones

>Mardu finally has a not gimmicky, but still entertaining commander.
Finally! I'm new to EDH, what are the essentials I'll be needing?

Thornbite Staff to say fuck every one of their creatures

they always had that bitch-Tits Angel, Tariel.

all it did was Res opponents creatures for a tap effect.. on a vigilance flier, not really a gimmick.

Tariel is one of the few commander I would never play simply based on its art.

I mean, jesus fuck, look at this ugly piece of shit.

I've always wanted to make a Tariel deck but mostly because I liked the art.

The full version they released in wall paper form in the initial Commander set spoilers was pretty great.

Always have a hard time figuring out her proportions. I swear those legs shouldn't look like that.

fight fight fight

Every day is reprint day.

Marchesa could have use of first strike. Sorta a Lightning Angel.

OH SHIIIIIT

Yeah but she fails the "entrrtaining" clause

Wait, what? How does that makes any sense in Conspiracy?

lol

We're hella casual

When I look at this art, I get the feeling the armor wasn't supposed to be that color. It was originally something more subdued, save for the striking through-lines of the ribbons and the blindfold, but Wizards requested an alter.

Which the artist did as quickly as possible.

Building this at the moment. Running about 41-42 lands for this.

Dredge with him is just nasty.

Another deck I've recently built is Sen Triplets, but it's just a toolbox for the Doomsday combo.

well you'd be wrong, they wanted to highlight its 3 mana colors in the art, this is stuff wizards tells them to do before the art is ever started.

many, many multi color cards are color coordinated to have their colors represented.

>Rare

Fucking gay.

Before anyone says anything:
OG Conspiracy had reprints. It had Mirari's Wake, Pristine Angel, and shit. So yes, this does make sense.

whats the odds of getting serum visions or probes or more modern staples?

I seriously hope Serum Visions is in this, even though Brainstorm is more powerful.

brainstorm is only more powerful with fetches/evolving wilds, without any way to shuffle away the cards its just a really good cantrip.

for drafting purposes I'd almost want visions more in most cases.

>mfw you can use Kaya to flicker creatures like this

Yikes new toys for Jeleva

they gave vintage alot of love with the last conspiracy with plowshares, brainstorms and... well almost everything else

i just hope for more moderns reprints, inquisition is a great start

How much was Inquisition worth before this?

not much, but a foil is insane.

this one in foil will be worth more, if other eternal sets are any indication.

Slow season now but it was worth $25 at one point last year

10 bucks give or take
foil was 90

New Marchesa doesn't seem all that great imo.

Would probably have to play it in an aggro deck

Why are Mardu commanders so shitty?

So how is the whole Monarch thing gonna work in EDH? Jut have it in whenever someone's commander functions with the rule or has any cards that use it?

>Alesha and Kaalia
>shitty
Boi.

Wouldn't she be better with pillowfort since then the player would remain Monarch?

I am beginning to like this card more and more

No-one's the monarch until the first person becomes it, then it starts being a thing and gets passed around, I presume

see If no cards can make somebody the monarch in a game, then they're no monarch

They sent foldable crowns to my LGS, they fucking knew.

What are you talking about? Of course you would use it. It acts like an emblem from what I think, but can be stolen.

Figured as much

>Multiplayer-based set
>Card focused around fucking with a player you may not like at the moment

Shit fits yo. Going from Uncommon to Rare is kinda bs tho, but that's modern magic for ya.

it was never really an uncommon level power card.

By that logic they may as well reprint Lightning Bolt in the rare slot.

Please don't Wizards

I guess you can pollowfort with it, but then wouldn't making them the Monarch only help them out more than you getting your tokens?

And here I was thinking of being unoriginal and making Zurgo Voltron for my Mardu deck, but I think this could easily be made a fun Pillowfort/politics deck by having her drop on turn 3-4 and allowing some attacks to get through and build up tokens while an opponent's the monarch.

So I pulled this two weeks ago. I want to rip up my Ghoulcaller deck and do them instead. What's the better tribal commander?

Mythic :^)

100% G&G

One gives you access to blue.

One does not.

This card can tilt some players to the extreme.
I've played this a couple of times and had draw spells countered off the top, Praetors grasp , and extra turns for free.

I was told to switch from Grimgrin to G&G for my zombie deck but I really like Grimgrin. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to be playing an inferior deck but I also like saccing zombies to buff my boy

You identified the driving force behind my decision. I had no control of the board with all black everything.

it would be mythic.

its such a simple card, but its so unfair compared to the set rules of magic.

its essentially the 10th power.

>rare

I played it against my brother a few days ago in my Grixis 'Steal Yo Spells and Creatures' deck and had it hit Ugin. He scooped immediately lol.

>its essentially the 10th power
Not even close

On top of that if you REALLY wanted Ghoulcaller, just throw her as 1/100.

But now you could run this

it is when it comes to cards that break down the rules of the game.

people under-value just how busted getting 3 damage at instant speed to creature or play for 1 really is, with no drawbacks.

the fact modern has access to it, for some reason, has defined that format and what creatures you are allowed to play.

Sol Ring, Library of Alexandria, and Time Vault are the only cards I'd consider to have been in serious contention for the "10th Power", and Library hasn't aged well.

Bolt is good, but holy fuck it's not even on the same level as Power.

>art totally looks like a middle finger got edited out

I had a good feeling this was coming. Someone was right on the money about certain power cards getting bumped up in rarity to justify getting the little Planeswalker hologram. Glad I already had my playset cheap because I'd never want to settle for this terrible new art.

My friends don't believe that this is more powerful than will of the council.

Are they right?

And you could have this if you like not having friends

the problem, in my opinion, is that it costs 6 and by that point, saccing a creature and discarding a few cards isn't a big deal

One step closer to Homunculus Tribal.

It feels sorta like Worldknit. With Worldknit you'd just take the best card in every pack, colors be damned, but you could still get flooded or screwed on number of lands, and unless you got Cogwork Grinder you'd end up with a nonzero amount of chaff.

With this, you're still running goddamn near every card you draft (just to hit the 40 card deck size), but you can just pitch the chaff for lands.

Good old Wayne "Balloon Tits and Harsh Angles" Reynolds.

Well, Will of the Council usually has one VERY GOOD mode, and one mediocre mode, and the only way you'll get the good mode is with some politicking and shit, otherwise it's usually gonna be 3v1 against you.

With this, no matter how the votes go, people get hurt. A 3v1 here is still probably 1 discarded and 3 sacced (or 3 discarded and 1 sacced, if everyone's flush with cards and low on dudes), rather than it being something like "Each player sacrifices 2 creatures" OR "Each player discards 2 cards" with Will.

How is it "unfair" compared to the set rules? It does 3 damage to things. Red is very good at doing 3 damage to things. Yes, it's CHEAP, but that's not catastrophic. The other power are effectively basic lands that you can play more than one of each turn, a colorless Dark Ritual that gives a net gain of 3 mana the turn it's played in any color, a card that lets you take another turn for 2 mana, a card that draws 3 fucking cards as an instant for 1 mana, and Timetwister, which is easily the weakest of the Power but still much more deserving of that slot than fucking Lightning Bolt.

Meh.

My last Magic deck used the following: Lim Duls Vault (look at next cards in library, pay life to put them on bottom and so it again), Mirror Universe (switch life with your opponent).

Suicide, switch life. Victory.

This works better in Sen Triplets as White at least allows for spells that protect the doomsday combo.

Sen Triplets also does that themselves.

I hope by "suicide" you mean "go to a very low life total and then switch", considering there's no way for you go go to actual 0 and still switch with your opponent unless you have help like Platinum Angel.

Forgot about this beaut with some of MTG's best art senpai.

Again, if user would run esper

They don't get tokens, but you get more cards. Monarch is a brilliant mechanic and perfect for EDH.
>Gahiji
>Blue

It's like mtg us trying to be a good card gane.

I've seen better 3 card combos. This one requires you to have a 6 cost artifact and a 3 cost enchantment on your board (and them not get nuked in response to your spell), then for you to resolve your Lim-Dûl's Vault during your upkeep, go to 0, and pop Mirror Universe after it resolves. There's too many moving parts, and I don't think Mirror Universe is worth running outside that "kills one person" narrow combo (Unlife is alright if you're running an Ad Naus package, I guess, and LDV is just great).

Sure, it works, but is it worth it?

>the "lands are bad for MTG" argument

What's the best plan for new Marchesa? Merde pillowfort? MLD?

Loving these spoilers so far boys.

Could in 1997, when I ran that combo.

Rest of the deck was counterspells. Counterspell, Power Sink, Force of Will, etc, and a few fetch cards with a Copy Artifact, maybe a Demonic Tutor.

Never lost with that deck. Lost interest after the stupid childish expansions that followed Weatherlight, sold my cards. But it was awesome, simple, vicious combo.

Oh. Okay. I was wondering why you ever would want to be the monarch.

At least you are finishing the game quickly. An ex-friend of mine used a deck that would go into infinite turns, we had to actually concede the match for it to end.

Yeah I know man, Doomsday for me is just a lot more viable as you only need 1UB open. And if you have one W open you could silence or orim's chant an opponent.