Halo Mythic TTRPG

Well, we finally did this shit. Preview 24 is out for Halo Mythic. So yep, it's still alive!

Download:
mediafire.com/download/dq655j2fqjqobcm/Halo Mythic Preview 24.zip

Subreddit:
reddit.com/r/HaloMythic

I know it's been almost 10 months, it seems, since the last update. Sorry for how long this took. I lose steam every once in awhile. This time, though, we finally have a new update for you.

This update simplifies to-hit and Special Damage so you don't have to worry about extra damage and attack rolls every time you fire or hit someone. Now you only need to worry about this when a Character is below 0 Health or unless a crit damage was made. Characters also don't die as easily after going under 0. Your Toughness Modifier, multiplied by 5, is the limit you can go negative in Wounds before dying. This allows characters to take damage and rack up that Special Damage before dying. Gives you some character when your arm is blasted off while you're still able to survive.

Character Creation was also updated. You no longer roll for your Characteristics, and instead, are given a point pool. This point pool removes the luck from Character Creation. Characters no longer means one Character rolling 4 20s, and another being stuck with multiple rolls under 9, just as an example. Everyone will be on a more even playing field, and can distribute their points as they please.

Many changes were made, and we will be continuing the changes going into Preview 25. With new books, graphic novels, and games coming out in the next six months, we'll have a lot of new content coming!

>You no longer roll for your Characteristics, and instead, are given a point pool.
Why can't we choose between them?

We've been moving towards a system like this that was less about luck of the dice and more about working a choice-based system. You have your equipment packs, specialization packs, soldier types, etc.

I felt that removing the luck of the draw would help make the playing field feel more moldable and more personalizable.

And adding too many systems you can choose between would muddy the system down more than it already is.

So have any games actually been played?

...I mean duh, if no one played it you think they'd still work on it?

>This update simplifies to-hit and Special Damage so you don't have to worry about extra damage and attack rolls every time you fire or hit someone. Now you only need to worry about this when a Character is below 0 Health or unless a crit damage was made.
So...the entire benefit of a Plasma Weapon dealing extra damage instead of bleed is pretty much gone, then?

I mean it simplifies combat a lot, but now there's literally no reason to use a Plasma gun.

They still have ridiculous levels of piercing that makes almost any armor useless. We've had games use this system for months to test it and it works out.

You can still kill almost anything save for a Hunter in a few shots with a Plasma Rifle.

The game isn't as deadly as it used to be, but damn is it still lethal. Wonder if we should ask Vorked to lower damage a bit more, or raise armor so weapons will still do tons of damage to unarmored characters...

I think damage is fine where it is. Looking at the books even a goddamn plasma pistol can one-shot most people without shields, and even with shields you're not really that protected.

What if that's too difficult and to easy to die? I'm worried that the system has to many weapons and equipment that you can't prepare against as to not take damage. Especially because you can't just evade all damage before being torn apart in a single round

Well, isn't the system is partially based on Dark Heresy? Things are going to be pretty lethal.

Just make sure you know how the cover rules work and don't stand out in the open. Only Spartans and high ranking Elites are allowed to do that.

It's more it's own thing now. It can do anything it needs to.

As of right now, the damages and impact was based on lore, not for gameplay. Since, he's moved towards a middle ground. It's good right here, especially now that special damage isn't crazy anymore

Agreed, damage is fine. If you try to get in a barfight with someone who has an energy sword or are reckless enough to be shot by a beam rifle you're going to get fucked up. One thing I really respect about Mythic is that it tries to show how dangerous covie weapons actually are in the books.

If nothing else there should be ways to recover from losing wounds after a fight that you survive. Especially since Bleed isn't that important anymore.

Maybe bleed values should be ramped up a bit?

Did you rebalance the fucking armor rules yet?

That shit is just obtuse. Shouldn't have so much damage and armor all at once.

You gotta be more specific user.

According to Vorked, Special Damage is only ever rolled on a critical damage roll, or if the target's Wounds reach 0. So Bleed will hardly ever come up now.

Since there are loads of medical rules for stopping bleeding but hardly anything for regaining Wounds, perhaps this shift away from Bleed should make some rules to get healed?

The rules have been for the past 2 years, way too complex. The book is like 300 pages of 8pt font that's too dense to use correctly. There's a slew of problems because of it. Like armor being in the 10's but base damage being in the 10's. No point of having them both like that, just drop them down an order.

Still way too complex. It's more complex than Only War, which would be an easier homebrew than swimming through 300 pages of impossibly and overly complex rules. Only autists would actually do such a thing.

>no reason
Mate, one of my player's characters got essentially disemboweled by a steady burst from a Plasma Rifle. He was an ODST with modern-era armor and he ended up missing a liver. I wouldn't say automatic plasma fire is out of place.

50 percent of those pages are vehicles, weapons, equipment,and the Bestiary

Half of which are unreadable. You know how long it took me to figure out what the [I] thing was? Literally months because there's nothing of use in the text. Also, you should be counting all of that in the terrible rules.

>The rules have been for the past 2 years, way too complex.
Alright then, how do you propose that be fixed?
>The book is like 300 pages of 8pt font that's too dense to use correctly. There's a slew of problems because of it.
Again, offer solutions instead of whining about it.
>Like armor being in the 10's but base damage being in the 10's. No point of having them both like that, just drop them down an order.
Fuck you on about mate, do you want to make guns useless or armor useless? Why not just flip a coin to see if the armor blocks the shot or not?
>Still way too complex. It's more complex than Only War, which would be an easier homebrew than swimming through 300 pages of impossibly and overly complex rules.
Opinions opinions opinions opinions.
>Only autists would actually do such a thing.
Only an autist would complain about a problem without actually presenting one.

Nigger it's under special rules. It's a fucking .pdf, use ctrl+f.

I did present a problem you literal retard. There's way too many complex rules to making combat realistic in a game where combat isn't fucking realistic to begin with.

There's a thing called tl;dr, have you heard of that? It's because reading blocks of terribly long text is literally the most boring thing in the world, especially poorly worded shit.

Oh wait, you wouldn't know about that probably since you can't do basic fucking math due to your inability to understand the failing of the armor system. If a gun has a base fucking damage of 10, and armor has a base soak of 15, there's no fucking point of putting it at 15 armor and 10 base damage. They cancel out to be 5 armor and 0 base damage. THE ENTIRE ARMOR AND WEAPON SYSTEM IS LIKE THIS. THERE'S NO FUCKING POINT OTHER THAN WANTING OVERLY COMPLEX DAMAGE BLOCKS.

The system literally needs to be streamlined. Look back at the 1.4 version. The rules were streamlined. There wasn't a set of overly complex combat maneuvers. There's fucking 2 and a half pages of hit location. No one fucking needs that! EVER! It's entering Eoris territory.

There's a saying "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." This gameline just needs a good editor to go through and burn half the pages and to spend time making it readable.

Outside of games I've been in (one all Covenant game, one short-lived ODST game, and another ODST game I run) I've seen maybe... 5 others? It's not in massive demand I guess but it's certainly got players by any measure.

Sounds like you just didn't bother to read anything more than there's a problem with the rules. Yeah, some of the rules are dense, but you can ignore shit like the hit locations or special damage or whatever for the most part, and armor got rebalanced vs. pierce and damage values a few months ago.

Not all armor/damage values are homogenous like you're presenting them as. Chill the fuck out, man.

>If a gun has a base fucking damage of 10, and armor has a base soak of 15, there's no fucking point of putting it at 15 armor and 10 base damage. They cancel out to be 5 armor and 0 base damage.

Except, you know, there's more creatures in this than humans, who can shrug off bullets while completely buck-ass naked, and are fully capable of slapping armor on top of their natural toughness.

>If a gun has a base fucking damage of 10, and armor has a base soak of 15, there's no fucking point of putting it at 15 armor and 10 base damage. They cancel out to be 5 armor and 0 base damage.
Golly, it's as if you're ignoring that weapon damage has rolls in addition to the base damage.

You may have some valid points, I'll grant you that, but you're coming off as unnecessarily hostile and it makes me inclined to ignore you completely.

I played a game where the players were basically having a better version of Evolve, complete with firebreathing lizard-gorillas. It ended with a cascade of events that got the players to unveil a conspiracy that ran pretty deep, and shot a nobleman. It was pretty hype. Now we're being bank robbers in space. It's gonna be dope as shit.

I'm also the kind of fuckboy though that isn't running it in Halo lore, however, and added psionics as an optional ruleset.

>Now we're being bank robbers in space. It's gonna be dope as shit.
>I'm also the kind of fuckboy though that isn't running it in Halo lore

Confirmed, needs more spess pirate birbs

People bitching about number values- if you want to change them, big shocker, just houserule the numbers down. Also, I could really dig some kig'yar space pirates.

Sounds good.

Just saw this for the first time today and sent it to a friend who is way into halo. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it shares dna with warhammer fantasy roleplay, but man oh man that bloat on the wounds and damage and armor is just nuts

Well, it's fairly difficult for me to find a balance with everything. Many things to take into mind and I'm also generally bad at fine-tuning balances like this. I admit that.

Now, the reasoning for this bloat is so that if someone is shot, they have armor to soak some of the damage. Usually not all, especially if you're a human or Kig-Yar. But if you're shot while unarmored? You're going to be taking a LOT of damage. A Lot more than you'd ever want to.

The more people go through this new version, the better, especially if I can start taking REAL FEEDBACK. Not speeches of HOW it's wrong. I want actual statistics and maybe even ideas and suggestions to fix it.

Just need to keep in mind that the numbers are high so that you'll probably not be well off even just taking a pistol round unarmored.

No, I understand that the idea is to keep combat lethal without at least proper safeguards (or even with proper safeguards,) but have you considered lowering people's health?

I mean, it's not really even a problem since all the damage and armor is based around the current health values, but it's so weird to see that civilians could (won't, but could) start off with some 34 health if they max out their roll, or more likely somewhere around 17, where in the original system most player characters had between 10 and 14 health starting off and the best armor in the system (only full plate, but still) gave five armor points

Again, not really even a problem. Just kinda makes my head spin when I see weapons that do 3d10+10 with AP 10 and I have to have a little sit down and remind myself people have so much more health and that gun won't really mow down an entire army before someone can stop its brutal reign of terror.

But yeah, the book itself is nicely designed and I love the extra info on things here and there, and my friend who's super into halo is nerding out and talking about running a game as soon as possible, and he's never shown an interest in running games before. So, keep at it! Looks great so far!

Thanks for this.

I'll be looking into the values of all this and may come up with an alternative. If not, Pierce may even need to be lowered for future versions of the game. That is, if it doesn't mean giving a huge buff to stronger armors, such as Mjolnir.

Jesus fucking christ. I remember suggesting the fucking point pool over a year ago the first (and one of few times) I joined the IRC, and getting basically "I don't want the system to work like that. It should be a little imbalanced." As a response. Fuck you Vorked. I hope you've stopped being so god damned pretentious.

Pretentious? I was just bullheaded and had an idea for what I wanted the system to be.

Since then, I've obviously grown as a person and I've also heavily changed the direction I was taking the system.

Also, no u.

I would consider your overall conduct pretty damned pretentious, yeah.

That said, this didn't stop me from still following you stupid fucking tumblr(s).

If you've changed, good to hear it. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Fuk u

Bump

I hope you all realize that the Banished are the best.

Atriaux is a Mary sue.

Love the game, been planning to run it with my party.

At some point do you plan on adding named characters to the bestiary, or keeping it more generic?

There have been talks of heroes. But it'd just be clutter I think

What, don't wanna see just how badly you'd get your ass kicked by the chief?

He was made in an older version of the system and had 13 luck and fairly average characteristics for a higher tier spartan.

That luck made him impossible for our group to take him out. In our eyes, we'd see him evade and move around almost anything we did before dispatching us with near perfect grouping. Luck is strong. The strongest.