Crusader Quest: Deus Vult

previous threads: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=crusader quest
Thread 5 didn't archive fully: archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/34542810/#q34542810
Twitter: twitter.com/KoblOf
pastebins: pastebin.com/u/Joggibear
army sheet: pastebin.com/VzbLdkUr
holdings: pastebin.com/m33m5nZ5

You are Hugo of Ramla

And you are looking for advice. While all of Jerusalem is engaged in a bloody struggle for the capture of Ascalon, you and your brother have found the time to fight one another. A quarrel has broken out between you and your lord brother, Wilhelm. The subject and point of contention is marriage, your brother has plans that go against your heart and honour, a match made without your consent. You love another, the converted Saracen, Sabeen.

You have just bid farewell to your friend Solomon. Given a command of Frankish troops, Solomon marches south to reinforce Gaza against an Egyptian force of Nubians, the elite force of the Caliph, the Nubian Guard. He had offered you a chance to come with him, to give you time away from your brother's dominating presence, but you had refused. Whatever disagreement you and your brother were having, your place was still by his side. Still, things could not stand as they were.

It occurred to you that there was possibly one person your brother would listen to, and one person that would grant you audience unannounced at this hour. That of Queen Melisende, master of Jerusalem and commander of this army. You drag your feet toward her camp, passing unchallenged by the guards. Your reputation as a warrior was growing, you were considered 'ferocious' and were known all throughout the camp. Not just for your prowess in battle, but for your misdeeds in Antioch, the abduction of a princess that only a skilled advocate had managed to keep you from being broken on a wheel or hanged from a noose.

Melisende was seeing off the Roman Prince, Manuel. The sight of the man made you bristle, you were no friend to the Greek nobility, and the sight of you brought an amused smile to the chest nut coloured man's face. He passed you with a chuckle, whether directed at you, something from the Queen, or at some private joke you couldn't say.

The Queen herself was dressed in blue cloth, her magnificent honey blonde hair tied back in twin braided plaits that hung over her shoulder, a silver belt about her waist. She hardly looked a mother of two, scarcely past thirty and slim. When she saw you she smiled.

"hugo," she called you by name, you doubted many other bastard-born could say the same, "Did you want something?" she held her hand towards the open flap of her tent, "Come inside, we can talk."

You could hardly refuse her, queen that she was, nor would you since she had so clearly read your mood. You went within the tent, the light cut out, the wide interior oddly gloomy. A hawk sat upon a stand, hooded and jessed, by a writing table. She had a real bed set up, framed and mattresses'd, and many chests no doubt filled with adornments. A pitcher of wine sat on her desk, with cups used. A shared drink with Prince Manuel, she now poured you a cup, her back to you as she fussed with the cups.

"Sit," she flapped a hand at a seat, and it was still warm from its previous occupant once you sat.

"Thanks, thank you, for seeing me," you said, leaning forward in you seat, hands clasped before you.

"I could hardly refuse my son's favourite playmate," she said, turning back to you with a smile that stole men's wits. She brought you a silver horn of wine, then took her own seat. "How can I help you?" she said, reclining back, finger tapping the arm of her chair. She did not drink.

> ask her advice on dealing with your brother
> ask to join her household
> write-in

But i do say keep

To ask her later in the conversation. Dpeneding on what the Queen suggest-

Pretty quiet tonight as of right now. Anyway, good to see you running HF. Been looking forward to it all last week.

Yeah, it's pretty dead. I'll give it a longer lead time than usual to see if it picks up.

>> ask her advice on dealing with your brother

>> ask to join her household
Take Solomons advice

You guys took your sweet-ass time.

np desu senpai

"I could use some advice," you said, turning the drinking horn around in your hands.

"The fight with your brother?" you looked up to see a concerned smile on her face, "News travels fast in this camp," she said. You nodded. "What's brought two fine young men to blows when there are plenty of heathens around?" she asked, "I can guess, but I'd rather hear it from you."

You took a sip. You felt very much a boy in front of the queen. "A girl," you said, and waited for her laugh. It never came. You looked up to her again and her expression was tender, understanding. "There's a woman I wish to marry, but my brother has other plans," you said.

"Is it the convert?" she said. You nodded. "I thought as much. You've loved this girl for some time, haven't you?" you nodded. You felt struck dumb. She crossed her arms. "Love is a powerful, dangerous thing," she said, "And according to the church, it is the gift of God. But we must never confuse lust for love, or we are surely damned." Was this just lust gone wild, rather than love? No, you were certain that wasn't the case.

"What should I do?" you asked, "I love her, but my brother demands me to leave her. I'll not dishonour the woman I love, or the one I'm bound to by marriage. I'll not take a mistress and father bastards. For me it must be one or the other."

"You see things so cleanly," Melisende said, voice rich with amusement, "Either a thing is good or bad, black or white, honourable or dishonourable. It's a refreshingly simple view of the world. If only the world were so simple." She pursed her lips, eyes turning heavenward. When she brought them back down to you they seemed tired.

"I'll not speak on what is right or what is wrong for you. I will just say that I married for duty rather than love, that I put the kingdom before myself, to protect it, to strengthen it. And I think of what I have now, and what I endured to reach it. A dominating brute of a husband, a war of words in the court that near become a war in truth, plots and games and children. And now I sit the queen uncontested, commanding an army against Egypt. But my tale is not yet finished, the future may turn another corner and bring untold consequence upon my house."

"So are you saying I should do my duty, or what's right?" you asked, trying to decipher her meaning.

She sighed, stroking a golden braid. "Doing your duty and what is right, it's rarely the same thing," she said.

These weren't the simple answers you wanted, and maybe she saw that on your brow.

"I'll say that the law of the land commands you to follow the wishes of your brother," she said, "You are his squire, a junior in his household. But when have you or your brother given a damn about the law of the land?" That was true enough, you almost laughed at it but you had little good humour in you. "Was there something else you might ask me?" she said, her brow raising, her voice taken over by a light suspicion.

> no my lady
> I'd join your household
> write-in

> no my lady

Getting a bit away from Wil might be a little healthy for him. let him become his own man.

> no my lady

if only for a time maybe?

maybe like suggests and only for a bit

we Kingsguard now

Anyway I'm highly suspect about the whole Hugh incident thing since

>The attack failed without Hugh even knowing an attack occurred
>Hugh may be setting this up to pull some shit on us

stay cautious anons

You drank your wine before you spoke, the question was one hard to give out. A silence lingered between you and the queen, who sat waiting with patience.

"I'd join your household, if you'd have me," you said, words halted and mumbled.

Her expression was kind, but you knew her answer before she spoke. "You're just a squire, Hugo," she said, "A subject of your brother. If you should attain your knighthood however, ask again and my answer may change."

"I understand," you said, "Thank you."

She leaned forward from her chair, braids swinging gently, and placed a soft kiss on your brow. It brought a blush over you. "You are a fine young man," she said, sitting back, "If my own son grows to be half as good as you are, I would be proud."

You rose from your chair uncomfortably, ducking a quick bow. "Thank you, my lady," you said. You left the tent trying to hide your fluster and near knocked over your sister as she came in. You caught sight of a large purple bruise marring her face, but Mathilde didn't slow, she recovered quick from the bounce off your chest and circled 'round you to enter. "Mathilde," you heard the queen say as you left.

One-Eyed Bayard waited outside with the queen's guards. The man-at-arms gave you a friendly nod as you left, one you returned if a little more forced. The queen had not consoled you as you had hoped, nor had she taken you into her service to separate you from your problems. It seems there was no easy answer from this problem.

The day was fading and the smell of cooking meat came out with the first sight of the stars. A wet hunger took your mouth and your belly, you could surely stand to eat. Still, returning to your camp could draw further confrontation with your brother, mayhap you should dine with another camp tonight.

> dine with your friend Raymond of Tripoli
> dine with Count Elias, you owed him a debt
> return to your camp, do not put off your brother
> write-in

> dine with your friend Raymond of Tripoli

>do crazy bullshit
>earn spurs
>fuck off to Jerusalem

seems simple enough

>> dine with Count Elias, you owed him a debt

I SAY WE PURGE THE HERETICS FROM OUT LANDS BROTHERS

the Absolute Madman option is very tempting.

He better not have laid his hand on her!

Know what. Chaning to

> dine with Count Elias, you owed him a debt

>"A subject of your brother. If you should attain your knighthood however, ask again and my answer may change."

I fucking said it last time. Hugo can do whatever the fuck he pleases once he earns his knight spurs. Will may be head of household but until Hugo becomes a free knight, he's gonna be a slave to big bro's plans.

What is up with this Elias obsession lately? He's a manipulative asshole. It's infuriating how much the players wanna suck his dick nowadays.

But he is so handsome, charming and dangerous!

We can change him!

>> return to your camp, do not put off your brother

Forgot to vote, d'oh!

Basically setup to tell him "I'll do what you want 'til I become a knight."

It is literally only with Mathilde, he's got Wil levels of Cha

besides Hugo will most likely punch in the face if he leaps to conclusions

Fuck mate what're you, a cockmongering pussyfaggot who'd sooner suck a Saracen cock?

It's user faggotry of the highest order. Shit wasn't this bad before HF took a leave of absence.

Elias did nothing wrong.

Truth be told. Only really like that with Matty. With Wilhelm i prefer being skeptical and with Hugo it is almost downright hate.

I prefer to play the three MCs differently rather than just play them all as a selfinsert or Microsoft Excel.

I voted Elias here because i assume Hugo's distrust to Elias will cause him to believe he has a part in Matty's bruise.

Same. I play the three siblings at cross-purposes.

Then again, I have found playing as Wil getting abit disquieting, lately.

I'm actually excited for when he makes a play with all the leeway we've given him and the players lament their extreme faggotry

what play?

see Wil, Matty and Hugo are people working to their own ends but also care for each other to varying degrees this can lead to both awesome and tragic conclusions such as Gailee and Sabeen

Count Elias had earned you a reprieve from the noose. He had taken up your cause and argued your case in front of the assembled lords of Jerusalem, the High Court. He had done this though the two of you were far from friends, indeed you had counted him a personal enemy. Perhaps you owed him a visit, and a thank you in person for his effort.

The Count of Maine was set up with the other foreign knights, Germans, Italians, French, as much mercenaries as holy crusaders. You knew very few people in this part of the war camp, indeed it seemed another world entirely compared to the domains of the Levantine lords. French was spoken freeely, of many dialects, you barely understand a handful of words that were flung back and forth, between soldiers, between the women that kept the camps. A snaggle toothed woman pinched at your backside as you passed, and the look you shot her brought guffaws of laughter from her and the other tired women with her.

Shaking your head, you came into the Maine camp. Soldiers eyed you suspiciously, an air of hostility pressing in around you. Perhaps you had made a mistake coming here.

Elias himself sat by the fire with a cup of wine and a smokey dark woman in his lap. She was beautiful, though plainly dressed, in brown peasant garb of rough spun linen. It did nothing to hide her form. The sight of you brought a smirk across Elias' well-jawed face, red stubble grown across his cheeks, his red hair grown long and curling around his neck.

"Look Dangerosa, the bastard has come to visit us," he spoke with a slur, the man was bordering on drunk.

"A handsome young bastard," Dangerosa said, which made Elias laugh.

"Perhaps I should give you to him, he takes everything else he wants, him and his brother," Elias went so far as to squeeze Dangerosa's breast, "Do you like her, Hugo? Take her if you want her."

"I came to thank you," you said, "For saving my life."

Mathilde POV was the worst thing that ever happened to this quest

"Thank me," Elias said, "Thank me. He thanks me, Dangerosa. He thanks me while his lord dishonours me." The cup dropped from his hand, the wine splashing across the fire. He pushed Dangerosa up as he stood. The man was bigger than you. "I did nothing for you, boy," he said, his feet unfirm beneath him, "And all I did has been dashed to pieces in one afternoon. Wilhelm, Wilhelm says one thing one day and a different thing the other." His expression grew haggard.

"I am not my brother," you said, "I don't know what my brother has done to upset you-"

"He's robbed me, robbed my family. And when I offer him friendship he spits on my hand," Elias staggered back, sat down hard, he either had too much drink or too much emotion to stand. Dangerosa massaged his shoulders, a pout on her lips.

"I don't know what you are talking about," but you could guess.

"You don't know anything," Elias sneered, "Donkey-brained fool."

> one more insult sir (grab your sword)
> ignore the insults

> ignore the insults

>> ignore the insults
"Elias, WHAT HAPPENED."

>> ignore the insults

Punch him in the face

>> ignore the insults
try to find out what happened. he still saved hugo's life.

Why the hell are you drunk at this hour man ?

>> ignore the insults

>eliasfags

Fuck off cunt. This man successfully fought Hugo's case to save his life.

Hugo, who would take a princess out away from her home to try and save her. Hes not going to just take offense and act on it from his savior.

I'd like to think Hugo is smart enough to realize he didn't do it out of the kindness of his heart

DOnt actually think Hugo knows why he did it.

Probably. Doesn't discount the fact that he would stay his fist and tongue more for elias after that performance.

> ignore the insults

> ignore the insults
He still saved us, let's not take the words of a drunk against him.

Hugo hates Wil's womanizing ways and Elias does way more of it. He's not gonna suck his dick like you wish he would

First thing he did when he found out that Mathilde wont be his through Wilhelm is getting smashed.

> ignore the insults

You twats clean forgot that Elias is more or less Will's counterpart, albeit more scummy and underhanded.

Fuck this guy and the honeyed words.

well he knows that Elias doesn't particularly like him because ''muh daddy hangups'' so thats kind of a thing

and the man is obviously kinda devestated

fuck it changing to
>Ignore the Insults
>resist urge to punch him in the face

Inb4 Hugo inspires Elias to do something really stupid

Like when the campaign is over he "kidnaps" mathilde back to France ?

Is it just me or is there more than one Dangerosa?

There's this one with Elias and then there's the other from when Raymond took Hugo to meet the Silk Road freaks.

HF, you got some explaining to do here mate.

It is possible for two people to have the same name.

You let the insults slide by. What did a jackanape's words mean to you? Nothing more than the shit from a horse.

"What happened, sir?" you asked. He glowered as if he planned murder.

"Your brother and I had discussed a marriage, between myself and your sister," he said, "An honourable match, no? I am of the House of Anjou, kin to kings and emperors, dukes, royalty. Count of Maine and all its riches, even if my brother does not want to admit it." He closed his eyes, massaged his temple, "A good husband for your sister. But then your brother, ignoble and thoughtless, pledges her to that stuttering oaf of Galilee, fat and uncouth Elinard. Lord of rocks and scorpions."

"My brother has been making many promises concerning marriage of late," you said. If you did not like Elias, and you did not, you felt a small twinge of empathy considering your shared situation.

A bowl of meat was handed to Elias by one of his men, with it a crust of bread. He ate quickly, using the bread to pool the stew into his mouth, ignoring the dribble of brown water down his chin.

"Sit," he said, "Eat." You did as he requested and a bowl was served to you.

"Is that why you saved me, to endear yourself to my brother?" you said, your hunger no longer so pressing. Still, you took a nibble.

"Fat lot of good it did," he said, "Be sure it was out of no love for you so do not mistake me."

"Elias, I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire," you said. It brought a snort from the Count as he ate, dark humour in his light eyes. "I came to thank you, not pledge to you my love. I'd say I could speak with my brother on your behalf to repay the debt, but my brother and I aren't speaking right now."

it was a common name I believe

or y'know ups the ante in the marriage game so that will would seriously have to reconsider the promise he made to bures

something on par with Wil's Ascalon gambit maybe

"You are so simple I sometimes forget you aren't completely stupid," Elias set aside his empty bowl. "I have brothers of my own, back in Anjou, and sisters. A pack of scheming rodents. You know my brother Geoffrey is threatening to take my land? As if Anjou wasn't enough for him. Maine is mine, by Christ." His tongue seemed loosened by drink, wandering with his mind.

"Is this about your brother now, or mine?" you asked.

"Brothers," he spat, "You can't kill them." Then he looked to you, and you saw a thought creep into his mind. He leaned forward. "You say you owe me a debt, would you help me to repay it?"

You shifted uncomfortably. "I'll not pledge to help you blindly," you said, "Even if you spared me an execution."

"I want you help this midnight," he said, "To meet your sister. I want to, I must speak with her again, in private." That was not a comfortable request.

> help him
> don't

> don't
Fuck no. He must really think Hugo is a complete dumbass.

> help him

But nothing naughty. If he as much as lift up her dress we will cleave his face.

> other

"Tell me why you wish yo meet her."

There's no way you're actually this stupid

Elias I fookin swear if you so much as touch her so help me god

this

> don't

>> help him

"Elias, what do you intend to do. A night of passion that would besmirch her honour in lieu of admitting defeat to my brother? Are you just going to roll over like that?"

Jesus christ this quest is beyond saving from the eliasfags

Ask him what he intends to do, no lies. She has more duty in her to run away with him, and if he causes her harm he'll meet our sword, regardless of consequences.

Each sibling has a differing pov, wants and motivation. If you can't recognise that, you're not playing this quest well.

Hugo fucking hates this guy and he's not an idiot.

Just because he hates him doesn't mean he won't be cordial. He also owes a debt.

> help him

"Why?" you said, inherently mistrustful.

"I just want to talk to her," he said.

"You want to deflower her," you countered, and your accusation put grit in his teeth. You knew his way with women.

"I want to give her a choice!" he slammed his hand down onto his thigh. And what the hell did that mean?

> no
> okay

> okay

> no
He wants to get her to elope with him.

>> okay

> no

"Elias, that isn't the way. Not like this, not in a way that would dishonour her.

If it is to speak with her and try to figure out something together, I would go with you."

"Just talk"

>> okay

As long as he can observe.

''you talk, anymore and I will castrate you myself''

>no
oshit nigger now it's not just personal, you're asking me to be your wingman so you can fuck my sister wtf dude? he's clearly had too much to drink, and think

>> okay
But I will accompany you.

I hope you dumbfucks realize that this is complete betrayal of wilhelm

tentatively ok with this

He's gonna use his high charisma to get her to elope user. Fucking is the least of our worries.

So i want Mathilde to do her duty and be deflowered come her wedding night but also be star crossed lovers with Elias

wat do?

>no
I swear to Christ you assholes, don't make this retarded decision

Do what your heart tells you is right. No one else can instruct you on what to do.

No Brakes, Only Tragedy.