That Guy Thread? That Guy Thread

> Be playing 5e on the weekends at the FLGS
> That Guy is a horrible min-maxer.
> Somehow rolls an 18, 17, and a 16, decides to play a Half-elf so he has three 18's in his stats.
> plays a dragon sorc, takes the tough feat, and has an 18 in Dex & Con
> mfw he's playing a full caster with a 17 AC and 57 Hit Points at 5th level.
> mfw when at the earliest opportunity he attacks the party.
> Moon Druid buddy comes in though, turns into bear.
> Whole party ganks on him as Bear buddy soaks up damage like a sponge.
> Bastard dies without ever landing a hit on anyone except the druid, and didn't even land a permanent hit because of Wild Shape.
> Sorc dies, That guy cries. Ragequits.jpeg
> feelsgoodman.webm

Anyone else have a story about that guy, and if you got the better of him?

Bump

Our That Guy was a human piece of shit. He was awful to game with, but even worse in all other aspects.

>unbearably loud
>smelled like feces
>no concept of personal space
>desperate for attention
>incredibly petty

The worst of it was the one time I went to hang out at his house. The only tv was in his tiny room, so we go in. Holy. Fuck. The dirty clothes and trash were piled up so high that they were level with the bed. Because of this, the AC vents were completely covered and the room was ungodly hot and humid. Then, to top it all off, it was at this point that I discovered the depths of his laziness. Turns out that instead of getting up and walking the length of the hallway to go to the bathroom, he would just piss in the corner of his room whenever he needed to go.

Holy shit... sounds like a lesser version of Luke.

I'm not sure if he was a massive edge lord, read the wrong kinds of manga, or was a mega-autistic, but we had this one That Guy

>go to save the mayors daughter who was being held captive by Druids
>along the way back, he rapes mayors daughter, fade to black.
>when we get back to town and hand her over to papa, she denounced him for the rape.
>he's stunned. Absolutely flabbergasted. He's not sure why she hasn't turned into either a cock-hungry slut or so awed by his manliness as to harbor resentment.

Anyway, he got the boot.

>18 Dex
>AC 17

Either 3 of that AC came from armor and he was using some kind of improved Studded Leather or Padded + Shield, or he was in Half Plate, in which case, why was his Dex so high?

What a shitter.

>Marvel game
>Everyone is good guys or neutrals who recognise a common threat
>Hunting hydra agents
>New guy joins
>Rolls up
>Edgy powers
>Gets bored after about half an hour of game time and sells us out to Hydra
>Party gets ganked, GG, Game over.

Dragon Sorc gets 13 + Dex for AC, basically passive mage armor. He got lucky on the stat rolls (though I wouldn't put it past him to fake it)

>Playin champions
>Book literally says "It's easy to break the game, so don't."
>Guy complains I won't let him have a 16d6 Killing attack in a circle of 40 meters (basically a repeatable nuke with a safe spot in the middle) with a starting point allotment of 200 because "It's just a game".
>1d6 of killing attack costs 15 without modifiers.

Oh god! Do you think it could have... Reproduced?

Only if it was asexually... or it was some kind of spreadable virus. I say the latter, it's more Papa Nurgle's style.

>this guy used to fart ALL the time during games
>like, I'm talking he laid more gaseous eggs than a spectral duck
>he'd swear it wasn't him but it was like at any moment there was a 1-in-4 chance he had a zone of silent-but-deadly around him
>only it wasn't even always silent
>at one point the DM is describing a boss and this dude starts up with the Ars Musica for like 30 seconds straight, and it's LOUD
>everyone stares at him
>he turns and stares at the one female member of the group, 10 feet away from him, as if we're all going to believe it was her
>the DM tried to bring it up to him in private to spare him embarrassment, but he insisted it wasn't him
>one day after the game is interrupted by yet another of this guy's Air Buds, the DM just says to him, "Look, I'm sure it's a medical problem, and that sucks. You really should see a doctor. But in the meantime, you have some serious gas, and I'm pretty sure it's only two or three times a session, so why don't you just excuse yourself? Nobody's judging you or thinks anything less of you because of."
>guy calmly gets up, gathers his things, walks to the door, opens it, stands on one foot, farts loudly and slowly, then shakes his leg like he's trying to shake the last of it out the leg of his jeans, then walks out
>we never see or hear from him again

I am That Guy

> friend starts a Savage Worlds campaign
> says it's a mix of sci-fi and fantasy
> doesn't seem to be that serious
> i produce Jeremy the Neckbeard Wizard
> has the Obese and Ugly traits
> Aged 31, gained his wizard powers from virginity
> fat neckbeard in fedora
> has acid blast spell using a 2 liter Mtn Dew he keeps tucked under his arm
> animates zombies, has the Edge that lets you animate them permanently
> I eventually invest in a katana and the Teleport spell so I can teleport behind the enemy and say "nothin personell kid" before slashing him apart with my katana
> spouted a shitton of internet memes until I pissed everyone off

I should've been less of a dick but it was a drop-in campaign for when people couldn't make it so no one gave a fuck.

Did you piss them off in the last week or so? I thought you posted him like a week ago and said everyone thought he was funny.

Ok, this is officially That Guy Thread: Nurgle's Blessed edition.

>Playing dawn of gods campaign
>No specification on what kind of god we can create so I make this chillaxed god that hops between multiverses and likes to remain incognito as a citizen
>Play him as a relaxed god
>Most people are okay with it, some don't mind it
>But there's one faggot that just went ahead and went livid with the idea of a easygoing god
>Starts writing in the archives about how he's going to destroy everything I create calling me a faggot and how he's gonna have so much fun destroying everyone's stuff now because we didn't comply with the kind of god archetype he wanted
>Don't really care about him but make small changes so that we could actually play the game
>Finally day of the game
>My turn
>"I stand in front of a calmless patch of sea as I ponder to my-"
>"Speed it up nerd"
>It's a fucking text game where the host said we could RP as much as we want
>Now I'm pissed off at him
>Continue my RP as I wanted it to and calmly continue building shit
>That guys turn
>That guy rolls low on his points and can only create his dragon OC and a volcano
>That guy is fucking livid and saying that he'll never catch up to anyone and how fucking unfair the whole game is
>We try to calm him down just so we can continue the game
>That guy just goes on and on about how he might as well poop on a stick and do nothing
>In the end I get pissed too at him, we have a discussion, the game ends with only 1 or 2 turns passed and the whole game gets deleted a few days after

now that I'm typing this I just realized he probably was some scalie faggot since he made his goddess a chaotic evil dragon

I knew someone who absolutely refused to play anything other that ADD 2

There's two That Guy's in my party, either me, or this other guy. You decide, Veeky Forums.

Me:
>talks about IRL before and after games a lot in an attempt to bond with my roll20 gamemates
>actively roleplays to the detriment of the party, will go off in other directions if my Lawful Good nature tells me something is wrong, etc.
>will do stupid stuff in combat in an attempt to look cool, like athletic checks, acrobatics checks, for no reason

Other guy
>metagames actively
>detours the DM's train of thought in the middle of a situation for metagame purposes
>for example, DM said somebody might be dying right now
>characters are sent to the armory, given weapons
>player wants to go somewhere else out of town to get another weapon he thinks is cooler
>whines a lot
>rerolled stats and told everybody only while everybody was talking to each other and I don't think anybody heard him

Is he being That Guy, or am I being That Guy and am I being more of That Guy for insinuating he's That Guy?

>so no one gave a fuck.
Then you weren't that guy, dumbass.

See, these obviously made-up ones don't work simply because no human being in his right mind would ever tolerate them in the first place.

What kind of retard goes to hang out at the house of a guy who smells like literal shit?

I'm only commenting that your usage of metaphor of gastric release was rather splendid and made me chuckle.

In that group, you're that guy, but you've certainly painted yourself to be a normal human. Consider joining a new group.

I was trying to get involved and roleplay, but maybe sometimes I go a bit overboard. But at what times is it okay to be a dick and being in character and at what times is it being That Guy? I try to do it sparingly, like once or twice a session, but it's not like I'm counting.

Why did he attack the party, anyway?

>Friend does his own CoC campaign
>doesn't read the rules, or provide an edition for the players to use for reference
>basically we sit around and he rolls a d100 sometimes, usually forgets to add skills and the like
>it's actually pretty fun once we all get into it for the first couple meetings
>then the problems set in
>started with 3 PCs, another guy joins
>not bad, character is my PC's uncle so he has a reason to stick around
>the rest of us generally know each other so we have a reason to stick around
>my wife joins
>he can't think of a way to write her in so she's a lead that just randomly decides to tag along cuz reasons
>she later dies because of a shotgun blast to the head from a character who was a DMPC investigator who literally turned out of the blue
>okay whatever
>she rolls up a new PC
>bitchy librarian who can translate a little bit of eldritch
>this is where things get really stupid
>so she literally knows none of our character, and the DM hasn't thought of any reason why she should be with the group, along with most of the other characters at this point generally not having any direction
>my PC finds a mystical scepter
>i can blow shit up with it
>I CAN BLOW SHIT UP WITH IT
>we have to collect magical artifacts
>time freezes randomly so SPoookY things can happen
>just at random intervals everyone in the city will disappear
>instead of creating a creepy atmosphere it does the opposite, because he always lands us in the middle of public when we're doing something skeevy, meaning there's some huge chase scene with the cops (which he has to fudge us out of anyway because it's really fucking easy to lose to a shit ton of cops)
>we find magical ice and fire rings
>TO BLOW MORE SHIT UP SO SPOOKY
>shit ton of cops pull up to the building we're at because we were fighting monsters and RAnDoM SpoKy TimE SkIp
>we're fucked
>we try using our magical super powers
>>>>
Cont.

>also forgot to mention the DMPC that was lolsorandum and did stupid shit like pull out slices of cheese from his pocket when he meant to pull out a notebook
>Apparently so did the DM because after his first appearance he never shows up again
>anyway I digress
>we're up against a shit ton of cops with magical artifacts and super powers
>we're actually winning
>DM freezes time again because this isn't scary at all
>the cringiest NPC I've ever played with enters the scene
>he's supposed to be Lucifer
>"I based him on the Lucifer from Sandman!"
>Oh like he's not actually super evil and is a well developed and nuanced character?
>Nah he just wears a suit and is a smooth talker, just like in Sandman!
>cringey "smooth talk" ensues
>awkard af
>just acts like a dick to all of the PC's
>"Oh go get the ancient artifacts you were already going to get!"
>Uhh okay
>"And give them to me!"
>He's obviously evil
>My character brings up how shady he's being, and asks why they should trust him
>"Who else do you have to trust?"
>Literally doesn't matter we were doing fine on our own?
>"Haha yeah well go bring me the artifacts kay ;)"
>Literally teleports us to the middle of nowhere
>BIG SPOOKY MONSTER IN THE FOREST TENTACLES OMG
>We outrun it after like an hour long chase scene
>one pc dies but oh well the player didn't like the character anyways
>we find an artifact
>one character tries to put on both the ice and fire rings
>instantly turns to ash
>Oh okay
>just me and my wife left
>we hear the monster again
>new artifact can see into the future
>see the monster is going to come eat us
>fuck that
>Lucifer gave us a teleport thing
>gave us no direction on where to go
>monster is closing in
>I guess we'll go back home
>go back to the city
>it's empty now
>nobody around
>magical room appears out of nowhere
>filled with books telling my PC not to trust my wife's PC
>all she sees is blank pages
>cont.

>okay cool but my character is pretty high in sanity
>no reason not to trust the other PC
>no build up just this one random room telling me to kill her and stuff
>try to run with it for a bit but it doesn't really go anywhere
>instead try to find a place to sleep and rest
>okay make a perception (or whatever the skill is in CoC) roll both of you
>nothing happens
>go into a hotel
>alright roll perception
>nothing
>find a room
>okay roll it again
>nothing
>we lay on separate beds
>OKAY NOW YOU HEAR BUZZING THERE'S LOTS OF CRAZY BUG MONSTERS
>what how did we not notice these?
>run away
>wife gets bitten, starts slowing down
>I use my scepter to levitate her with me
>we're running
>suddenly Mr. Devil man
>He freezes me
>kils my wife's PC
>"I told you guys to look for more artifacts"
>literally no information on where to find them
>"Heh, these will have to do"
>takes all the ones we've gathered so far
>sends my character to another dimension to die
>oh okay
>"Alright guys we'll start next time with new characters"
>the mood has kind of died down, nobody is really into it
>around this time find the Fear Itself game
>show it to CoC friend because the ruleset is easy to learn and I thought some structure would help the campaign since everything was kind of haphazard (didn't phrase it that way)
>it also fixed a lot of problems the game was having
>Investigative abilities weren't done with rolls and instead were acted out in scenes (rolls could be used for bonuses) so no more ten rolls to see obvious clue
>risk factor mechanic gives players an in game and narrative reason to keep their characters in the game and not running away all the time
>points system made so only a six sided die is needed, and players keep track of their bonuses instead of GM (you basically spend points in a skill to boost your roll for the action, rather than having a static bonus like most games)
>Uhhh yeah I'll check it out
>Never reads it
>Okay fine I'll make my own campaign
>cont

>i start writing a campaign loosely based around themes and art direction from Silent Hill and eastern European Surrealism (Beksinski, Ice Pick Lodge, etc)
>tell friends about it
>i'm getting pumped to get back into DMing
>have mild to sometimes pretty bad depression so sometimes it's hard to force myself to do creative endeavors
>actually having fun with writing notes for this though
>later
>playing Magic with my friends over Cockatrice and voice chat
>end of the night just CoC friend and one other dude
>start talking about campaign, explaining some of the rules and why I think they're cool
>"Nah the game sounds kind of stupid"
>Oh, why do you think that?
>"I don't like how there's no character archetypes"
>"But in the book it gives recommended archetypes for starting players."
>"Oh, I mean I don't like that there's no stats for min maxing, every character is so samey. If I put points in fighting and you don't there's a chance you could still beat me in a fight, that's so not fair"
>"But that's unlikely because if you're uninvested in a skill you get a penalty to it, or can't use it at all"
>"well I don't like how you use points to get skill boosts, i feel like I'll use all of mine at once to get a perfect roll and then be useless."
>"How is that the game's fault? The whole skill system is based on resource management, have you read the book?"
>"Nah it didn't really catch my interest"
>Go back and forth like this for an hour
>he eventually just goes quiet after the other dude chimes in to correct him too
>I try to change the subject and he hangs up the call without saying goodbye
>since then I've been to bummed to continue work on it because I'm afraid if he doesn't play nobody else will

>since then I've been to bummed to continue work on it because I'm afraid if he doesn't play nobody else will
>lebufdoit.gif

This guy sounds like a megafag from how you tell it, anyway, so don't let him get to you. Just do your best to get the game up.

my that guy story is sad.

Dude smelled bad, to the point he was banned from households because he stank up furniture. (per the wives)

DM was old friend, permitted this until he mouthed off about how he didnt want to see far ranged combat, because he made a fragile, close range tome warlock and was pissed we decided not to tank 6 hill giants and a frost giant shaman for him to blow his 2 spells on.

Used clever tactics to outsmart and outrange them.

He was pissed because he contributed nothing to the fight or the planning because he made a one trick pony with the depth of a kiddy pool.

Mouthed off. Wasn't invited back. Smelled good man.

>Ars Musica

I was That Guy for about a dozen sessions, prearranged with the DM.

I lied to the party about my character, pocketed stuff so as to not share with the group, made allies and contacts with powerful nobles while being a polite dick to the leader of the party. (who was a hoighty toighty nobleman who had anger issues because he got scarred in a joust and wrote bad poetry about it)

Eventually this lead to their betrayal to the dragon king and stealing the macguffin of the campaign to hand over.

Unbeknownst to the party, the DM wanted a home grown villain for them to hate, and they really hated Albrecht's guts.

He ended up being tortured in the most gut wrenching of ways for about 4 hours before being offed by an old lover. His 'nemesis' had arranged this after his capture, as he would have escaped again otherwise.

I was that guy because throughout all this they thought I was the straightman butler, until I started accidentally saving princesses and telling everyone I was someone or something else.

depression is shit. something I've learned from my depression is you need to surround yourself with good people.

This jack ass is a bad person to be around when depressed, at least for your own endeavors. He doesn't sound very creative himself, he doesn't appreciate the work you put into your own campaign, and he cant be bothered to read the book.
I'm not saying drop this shit heel like a newborn baby into the nearest dumpster, but at least try to arrange a few games without him and see if it works.

Or try to explain how disheartening it is that he isn't even willing to put the most minor effort into your campaign. Ask him straight up if he wants to play, if not, tell him he's free to listen in but you're going to run your shit with or without him, and if he doesn't know his ass from his attack modifier it'll be without him so READ THE FUCKING BOOK SHIT HEEL.

You only need a couple players for a GUMSHOE game. Just play with your wife and the not-fag from the call.

Same fag would be from the north.

If anyone came on here and bitched about that they would likely be calling "That DM."

>he would just piss in the corner of his room whenever he needed to go.

Fair, but from their perspective it was probably me. They're aware of his involvement now, and my replacement character proceeded to be the broliest of muscle bro's so that made up for it I think.

>finally get my friends to play did
>everyone rolls characters as best they can
>except that one guy
>creates a character as a parody of one of the members
>constantly breaking immersion with bullshit like trying to learn c++ in a tavern with chickens
>led the entire group on a plan to steal a chest being unloaded from the cargo ship they're on
>decide to engage the plan at 9 pm. I make it clear that the docks are still active and have many guards because change of shift
>fucker casts light to distract everyone. So the rogue could break in.
Would've e worked for half a second except that he casted directly next to the rogue as he hasn't gotten into position
>I pretty much hand them the cargo(cloth) before kicking them out of the city
Well that was an awful first session

Yeah I should just go ahead and keep up work on it, I've been trying to get back in the groove but here lately I've been feeling like I should find another group to play with anyway. A lot of the members are straight shit heads, and I'm pretty much just playing with them because I've known them for so long
>CoC guy is the kind of guy who plays Chaos decks in MtG to 'ebin troll people' then gets mad when nobody wants to play with his troll deck
>one guy is my upcoming roomate, he's pretty chill but is a bit of a rollplayer rather than a roleplayer, better for more combat intensive games
>another is an unfunny awkward guy who just kills the momentum of a conversation in 3.5 seconds
>last guy I thought was really cool but we had a falling out because he was trying to hit on my wife while she was drunk, then claimed it was her fault and he was just trying to "keep her in a positive headspace" (she has Borderline Personality, he's a psych major)

There's another guy who has a pretty bad case of social anxiety who I'm trying to get to play, he can be a bit much to deal with in heavy doses but he's really cool and just genuinely has trouble communicating with people.

Yeah I probably should either just be straight or do a trial run without him.

I used to be a pretty argumentative person but now I try to avoid conflict as much as I can because it just gets me depressed, and I feel like anytime we talk he just wants to start an argument.
Like, if i give my opinion on something he'll say something completely dismissive or passive aggressive, then when I try to explain my point of view he'll act like he wasn't directing it at me.

>non Veeky Forums related example
>discussing Batman V Superman
>general consensus is that the movie wasn't very good, I thought it was bad but not the worst thing in the world, and there were some generally redeemable scenes that made the whole thing all around disappointing
>he thinks it's the absolute worst movie ever
>says it's the only movie that he's ever considered walking out of because it betrayed the characters so much
>I'm a little /co/, so I tell him how some of the "betrayals of character" that him and others were talking about were actually more references than anything, though still not very well thought out
>"Batman just kills dudes, that's not Batman dude!"
>uses the scene where he blows up the guys flamethrower as an example
>tell him that it was actually out of a scene in TDKR, though it was a bit over the top
>he doesn't respond
>later we're talking about the "MARTHAAA" scene
>I mention how it was dumb, but how I saw what they were going for and was disappointed because it was thematically neat but just was bad in practice
>"Yeah but just because something is a good idea doesn't mean it's good"
>"I didn't say it was good though"
>"I didn't say you said that"
>>>>>
Like why bring it up? I was the only one talking about the quality of the scene as an idea v in the movie, so it seems like he was making a remark at me, then he redirects when I try to explain myself.

Anyway, sorry for blogging, it helps me to vent.

It actually sounds like he has beef with you but either realizes a) he shouldn't and has no filter, or b) is being a passive aggressive asshole.

Either way, run your game, if his friendship is important, sit him down and talk it out, if not just dont tell him you're running it. If he asks why he wasnt invited say he made his feelings and lack of interest pretty clear before. you thought thats why he dismissed your idea's and pissed on the system.

Yeah I figured he kind of just stopped wanting to be my friend, he does this thing where he'll just kind of stop interacting with someone unless it's in a social setting with other people, and then he'll usually be sort of aggressive to them and never actually tell them what's the matter.
It mostly sucks because we've all been friends since like 2nd grade, and me and him in particular have been consistently going over to each others houses every weekend for like 10+years, then as soon as he goes to college he just stops talking to me and doesn't let me know when he's in town and shit.
Either way there's a dude at work who seems somewhat interested in being in a campaign, so I might see if he wants to do a planescape thing I was thinking of sort of based on Barelowe's inferno, so that will probably get me in the mood for more Veeky Forums stuff.

whelp. All I can recommend is call him out on it. "Dude, we've been friends since 2nd grade, why are you throwing shade at me now?"

I mean, it seems like when he speaks up and says something dumb you shoot his ass down, so that might have something to do with it. Get his perspective and see if you can come to a mutually agreeable solution.

Good luck with it all matey. Your campaign sounds promising.

Yeah, you're probably right, I guess what I might see as voicing my opinion he might feel is being a dick.
Thanks user, I'll keep working at it.

>That Guy thread
>Human moment of vulnerability on Veeky Forums
>Good advice
>thisisnotthetgiknow.jpg

Nice lie you told there.
You failed the DC necessary to fool anyone intelligent

In this case everyone was That Guy but you.

>Rolling up AD&D because nostalgia
>Guy rolls up stats just barely letting him be a paladin
>Another guy rolls good and gets to be a Ranger
>I see the two has-to-be-good classes in the party and decide my fighter is lawful good.
>ThatGuy throws a fit claiming that we are "suppressing him" by forcing him to pick something that isn't a lawful evil assassin.
>Even though his DEX is 11 and his INT is 16
>He has played nothing but rouges so far in any D&D edition.
>Have to basically force him to be a wizard so we don't have to leave his evil ass behind in-character.
>Picks Chaotic Neutral out of spite.
>In-Character is a total asswipe
>ends up stealing and burning the plot device because "It's what my character would do!"
>Complains he isn't having fun because he isn't evil

Did you kick him from the group or what?
>isn't having fun because he isn't evil
Jesus Christ.

Luke?

>virtue-signalling

gaaayyy

>In LGS
>With occasional party, that without their usual DM, are little more than roll players
>nobody so much as grunts towards anyone throughout the adventure. Just "I do this, and roll that" and the ocasional "le ebin maymay xD"
>We find a statue being worshiped by kobolds
>we kill the kobolds
>I notice the statue's head has two shiny jewels
>suddenly the orc says "we're not touching that"
>"uh, why not?"
>"it's a religious symbol and my character doesn't like touching religious symbols any more"
>"do that and my character will kick your ass"
>"roll intimidation"
>he rolled higher
>"you're intimidated, you can't go up there the dice says so"
>"the fuck is going on?"
>"it's religious"
>"uuuuh.... Can I roll religion?"
>"Sure"
>high roll
>"it's not religious"
>"it's not religious man"
>"I don't want to touch it, it's going to fuck us up"
>"Can I cast Detect Magic"
>It's not magical
>"it's not magical man"
>"I don't care, you're not touching it"
>"you can't touch it, you're intimidated. The dice says so"
>"Can I look for traps?"
>"It's not trapped"
>this asshole is just there shrugging convinced he's doing some epic role playing
>DM won't let me cast any of my social spells because "intimidated"
>I'm starting to turn into that guy as well for dragging the party into this drama
>"I grab him and drag him along away from the statue"
>DM forces us to walk away while the lvl 2 rogue tries and fails to climb the statue behind his back

it sucks, because they're usually the best table at the shop, but without their DM to get them in line, it feels like they're there working of a job they don't like rather than playing a game

I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't have fun if he was evil. silly comparison.

Took me a bit to get it.

Search for it on 1d4chan

Playing with Dark Heresy with 3 Guys
>One guy plays a guy from Arakkis. In a raspy voice, he asks every single NPC for a glass of water.
>One guy sits there saying nothing except when he's directly asked.
>One guy follows the lead of the first guy and asks for a bowl of noodles from every NPC.

Playing DnD with 1 Guy and 3 Girls
>First girl wants to turn herself into an Elephant so she can squash halflings. That's the only thing she wanted to do the who game.
>Second girl is legit interested and doing her best, but thought combat was boring.
>Third girl was on her phone the whole time, but ended up being the most valuable asset to the party.
>Guy tries to have sex with every NPC.

sounds like what a superstitious orc barbarian would've done, to be honest
>"Scary mojo. Not touch. Weak humies try to. Tell them not to. Weak humies say strange words. Make strange motions. Say not dangerous. Silly humies not know what talking about, Grok knows bad juju when he sees one. Scare humies into not touching."

Sounds like DM & orc were a bit of dicks about that, but still seems pretty in-character to me.

>First girl wants to turn herself into an Elephant so she can squash halflings. That's the only thing she wanted to do the who game.
What's her name? I want to marry her.

>Has three girls that are at least borderline interested in geeky stuff in front of him in real life.
>Does a thing that's most likely to turn them off.
Was he gay or just terminally stupid?

>Was he gay or just terminally stupid?
He has a GF now.
But oosh, it was weird.

I had him critically fail so that he'd stop.

It was less barbarian role play, and more "Hey, give me all your magic shit for 1 gp. You can't say no, I rolled a 19 on persuasion"

I may be that guy.
>Just started playing several months ago.
>Have my character sheet on my laptop to play at my lfgs. Though I never use my laptop for anything else while playing.
>Slow to roll and sometimes roll one die at a time.
>Also still get nervous and excited when rolling cause it feels dramatic.
>Sometimes I accidently interrupt the GM but feel really shitty for it and apologize.
>Treat the game too much like a video game still and have not clicked in on how I should roleplay more instead of metagame.

I'm trying to get better ;_;

>Years ago
>Have regular gaming group
>Me (forever GM), three normal guys and one that guy
>That Guy is fat, irritating, min-max power gamer. The usual stuff.
>Playing AD&D
>Party is exploring a dungeon designed by paranoid inventor wizard
>That Guy plays evocation wizard
>All nuke, no utility
>Dungeon is full of traps and puzzles
>Party enters in empty room containing a treasure
>obvious_trap.exe
>Rogue fails to detect traps
>I'm feeling generous and tell the party that even when the rogue checked it it still looks suspicious
>That guy wants to open the chest
>I ask him that he is sure, because the chest looks suspicious, repeat my warnings etc.
>He insists
>*sigh* "roll for save"
>He fail
>The floor around the chest is rigged and as he opens the chest. His character is thrown in the air and he fall to the ground
>Takes only few points of damage from trap
>At that moment That Guy completely lost it. He screams and tears his character sheet in half
>Yells at me for five minutes straight
>Everyone is trying to calm him down
>"It's just a game" "only a few points of damage"
>I even negate the damage so we can continue
>Nothing works
>He storms out of the room and leaves
>Never returned
>Continued to play with our smaller group
>No problems ever whatsoever
>Everything went better than expected

One could almost say that he got
Triggered

If ur trying to do better your not that guy user

It's funny to think that our That Guy is so gross that people don't believe he exists.

As for the reason I went to hang out with him, he was a long time friend of ours. He used to be a lot of fun, and not disgusting at all. He got expelled in middle school after he threw a coniption fit when called out on swearing in class. When he came back freshman year, he was changed. We really wanted to still be friends, but he became intolerable as time went on. Going to his house was really the tipping point.

Also, after high school he went full Chris-chan and dresses like a woman now. Make-up, high heels, etc. But he's still a smelly, obese manchild.

You're that guy for being the odd one out that gets in the way of the group-as-a-whole's fun. You can be That Guy for sitting in on the KKK playing a game and then suggesting that maybe racism is the wrong answer. You can be That Guy for suggesting to virt that you play something other than FATAL for the night. Being that guy doesn't reflect bad morals and poor life choices, only that you are the dude in a group that everyone else wishes would disappear from the table.

he might just have an inferiority complex thing going on yeah
it's not exactly your fault, and you can't ever get him out of it because that'll only fuel that complex, but hopefully someone else would straighten it out if it indeed is just jealousy (I've seen it happen before, that shit is killer to friendships)

He's too much of a limp-wristed faggot to change anything so we can mostly ignore his bitching.

>read "conniption fit" as "coprolite"
That's enough of this for today, I think.

He's jealous of you or in love with you.

I don't get this story. You apparently thought it was ok for him to rape an NPC, which is the obvious line in the sand. But apparently not getting all emo about it afterwards is cause for eviction?

Can you at least say something to illuminate the thought behind this?

>Planning a Mutants and Masterminds game
>Getting sheets in from players
>This one guy
>Wants his power to be "Power negation"
>Tell him no because thats pretty much the definition of anti-fun
>Gets salty at me

Agreed. You're better off without him and everyone else should be well aware of that by now.

>trying to learn c++ in a tavern with chickens
>kek

By your account he's that guy, but you might be too if your group is being upset by your shenanigans. I think RP is important, but some groups prefer playing to win, and there is nothing wrong with that. Being that guy is about being disruptive.

>playing vintage mtg at the shop
>against an obese dude with an open Mountain Dew
>he's wearing a fedora ironically
>keeps meming and tipping his fedora
>he's actually pretty cool and funny
>it's painfully obvious that he is using proxies
>like he printed them at home and his printer ran out of a certain color
>that's fine though. At least it's someone to play vintage with
>he loses the best out of three
>"okay okay let's make it best of 5. You only need to win one more game, but if I win I get your deck!"
>wtf no, but I'll make it best out of 5 just not giving you my deck
>mfw I get shit draws and lose 3 times in a row to this clown
>"HAHA NOW I GET YOUR DECK"
>he jump up super fast banging his knees on the table
>spills his 1 liter mountain dew on the table
>grabs my deck
>he's laughing like a madman,
>having a manic autistic episode
>WHAT THE FUCK DUDE I NEVER AGREED TO ANYTHING
>"Ahahaha jklol"
>he actually said those letter
>"you wanna play 52 card pickup?"
>w-wha-NO!
>he throws all of my cards really hard on the floor, they go everywhere
>a lot go under the tables we were playing on
>mountain dew slowly dripping down from tables
>What the fuck dude! These cards are expensive!
>I quickly go under the table on all fours
>get on the floor
>everybody walk the dinosaur

I guess i'm just paranoid that I am. Worked 60hrs a week for almost 3 years on solar farms which pretty much killed my social life and turned me into a shut in. Spent most of my free time sleeping and playing video games. At the start of 2016 I decided to try and start being social again by participating at my lfgs and meet new people. I really do have fun with D&D but at the end of each session as I go home I can't help but think of all the mistakes I made in the campaign and if my party hates me for it.

Though they recently invited me out to watch some movies.

>playing vintage mtg
Stopped reading there. You're the That Guy

Nah I didn't really piss them off, they just kept going "wow user wtf stop" but they were laughing too. I only did the "nothin personell kid" thing once.

Well, that's what happens when nobody brings up Virt.

I work at my country's equivalent of the US Census Bureau. Part of my job includes doing household/home surveys to help determine my country's economic and social development and, because of it, I deal with a lot of people, and hear about/witness a lot of, and there's no polite way to correctly express myself in this matter, fucked up shit.

I'm aware that a lot of the stories told around here are either false or gross exaggerations, but I do not doubt, for a single second, that someone could live such a shitty life due to apathy/indifference, or mental health issues.

Honestly, this was less "that Guy" and more "Severe autism at the table".

>Be at LGS
>There's this one guy who we often see hanging around, but never actually playing games with people. He buys a few miniatures, but again, never see him do anything with them, mostly just plays on some handheld game or another.
>Still, keeps to himself, is quiet, not disruptive or anything.
>In our game, we needed to hire a tracker since that was a skill nobody in our party had.
>DM decides (unilaterally) to offer this former NPC tracker dude to our loner as a minor PC, as part of an offer to show him the game, since he seemed lonely.
>And if he worked out, he'd join the party for real, and if he didn't, well, it's just one shortish mission we're doing, what's the worst that could happen? (And was possibly worried about GMPCing issues?)
>I wasn't there, but apparently took him a moment to grasp what the game was about, how it worked and everything.
>But next session, we sit down, and our tracker is a new player. Introductions all around, we get to tailing the hydra we're after
>Along the way, fight some random other monsters
>Tracker dude pulls out his bow, fires an arrow, misses.
>How could I have missed?
>Well, the dice plus your skill with the bow minus their defense says that you missed, sorry.
>But you said I was a skilled archer and hunter, and they're only (looks at tactical map) about 20 feet away. How could he miss that kind of shot?
>Trying to explain how the odds work, and that we're not automatically successful at everything we do.
>He's not angry or loud or anything, but just does not get it, and keeps saying over and over that it's "stupid" that he missed such an "easy" shot.

sounds like you need to explain not very bad roll is a 'miss' bouncing off armour, the target dodging cause of high dex, getting caught in a shield are all equally viable alternatives for a roll not being good enough. You dont necessarily 'miss' but it wasent good enough to cause damage.

We were all new at some point. I'm still pretty new but got a good start on roleplaying early on, so where I need to learn is mostly in the area of game mechanics.

How about That DM?

>Complete newbies table
>Bring a friend in
>We play pre-made characters
>No healers anywhere
>welp, guess I'll play the paladin
>Friend is a huge x-men fan, so she plays sorcerer
>Session goes entirely as normal
>Everyone's learning how to play, and the adventure is pretty decent
>Flash foward a couple of hours later
>Final act is a chase scene to free the slaves
>It's really tough, and a couple of us almost die before the climax
>The day is saved when one of the fighters drives a runaway slave wagon onto the boss fight
>the rest of the soldiers flee
>We all feel pretty satisfied
>Suddenly we see riders in the horizon
>Party goes to hide
>I'm at my last HP, and I can't sneak for shit, but paladin, so I devise a standard RPG plan
>I tell my friend to hide in the bushes while I heal myself. If there's trouble, they'll attack
>They're drow riders
>They go "The hell are you doing with our slaves?"
>My partner is a drow sorceress
>Clearly this is the bit where the DM wants to teach newbies about diplomacy
>Obviously I call my partner in

Please, do continue

Seconded. That Guy is That Guy, whether a GM or a Player.

>She's confused as hell at first, but quickly dawns on her what to do
>We're friends from Debate club.Persuasion, Performance and Deception improvised on the fly is something we do for a sport
>We're nationally ranked too
>Suddenly, she's excited as she hadn't quite been all game
>Commence Charisma class beatdown
>In a fraction of a second, she and I are suddenly the great Lady Drow of over here, and these are in fact *Her* slaves
>I'm her guardian, acting upon the will of my liege
>DM goes "What the fuck? Are you trying to talk to the drow? Are you crazy?"
>She rolls with me helping an 18
>The DM turns belligerent and it shows not only through his disdainful behavior towards our strategy, but also vicariously though them"Oh, ok, the drow believe you. And they go "So what, why should we care. There's only two of you"
>I go "And there were many of them. See what happened to them when they tried shit"
>belligerence intensifying
>the rest of the newbies don't get what's wrong with him
>"the drow goes "I see maybe one, two bodies" before a player goes "don't forget the nutella spread across the road""
>the dm gives him That Look
>"I don't see how we should fear that pittance"
>I go "Aye, you see two bodies."
>She goes "You that two bodies is all that there is left"
>tells me to roll intimidation like he wants to spit on me
>I point out she's the star in this show, I'm only the help
>she's got proficency
>rolls with advantage. Another ridiculously high number
>After that whole adventure, the rest of party is just delighted at our team improv
>DM notices this, and gets an idea
>DM starts pulling shit out of his ass that she and I can't see what "because we're doing the talking"
>The partys eyes go wide when he shows them a page from the monster manual and they quiet
>"The Drow go "maybe you are some one, we don't give a shit. You can take .. ten percent of the slaves, and leave, now"
>At this point, I'm just fucking confused. Why is this guy suddenly a dick?

Definitely that dm

Yup

What happened next?

Thirded.

Does 'That Group' count?

>FLGS likes to let people play for free at their store, since fucktons of spare tables and it gets drinks/snacks sold
>Group of self-proclaimed 'semi professional' poker-players begins to grab a table and play cards regularly
>Any of them that weren't unwashed were reeking of hairgel and lynx
>Would never ask before claiming a table or pinching chairs from other tables
>Zero volume-control and no inhibition about swearing or talking about inappropriate subjects, even when parents are coming into the store with their kids
>Treated other patrons contemptuously, liked to talk loudly (as in 'I hope other people overhear' loudly) about how childish cardgames like Magic and YuGiOh are unlike their super sophisticated game of poker
>Staff were either ignored or spoken to condescendingly, one notable incident being when a player told one to bring him a drink from the fridge while snapping his fingers
>Made no effort to clean after themselves and left so many pringle-crumbs that you could gather them together and have your tube full again
The only reason they lasted so long was because they bought and drunk an absolutely terrifying amount of Monster while they were playing, but thankfully our manager eventually got enough sense to tell them to play somewhere else.

Oh, and the apparent leader of the bunch (I only assume since he always arrived first and was always dealing) wore a cowboy hat all the time. I have no idea why, but this pisses me off more than anything else.

>Its a one shot adventure for beginers
>Its diplomacy at its best
>Its not like we're stalling or shit, these slaves were the point of the whole adventure
>My partner's excitement is still palpable, but it's starting to curb and I can feel it drop
>ohnoyoudon't
>Proeficency in intimidation
>"Are you idiots seriously trying to cause a war over some spider damned hummies?"
>suddenly the DM gets a boner I can see through the table
>"DID YOU JUST CALL DROW IDIOTS?"
>"They're drow. We're pretending to be drow court. It's how they say hello to each other"
>One of the other guys has a drow ranger main and goes "yeah, he's kinda right"
>The DM goes "The creature grapples the three you and drags you to the light"
>DM shows us the creature. It's a Chimera (CR 11 )
>I'm more fucking confused than ever. If anything, this proves we're doing the right thing talking this shit out.
>The back of my voice tells me to consider taking two slaves and run away
>My common fucking sense tells me we've been at this for three hours, this shit failure can't be the end of the adventure
>"The drows go "AND WHAT IS THIS? AN AMBUSH?""
>I say my character facepalms exasperatedly and ask "What the hell are you doing to the coach men?"
>The DM looks like he's about to explode
>He says two magic spider clerics drop from behind
>I mutter to my partner "Be ready to blow the fuck out of the locks and let whoever can escape try. I don't know that we're all going to survive this"
>"Coachmen? These lot? I smell a scheme"
>She goes "You can't bloody well expect a drow lady to drive her own coach in sunlight, can you"
>ROLL DECEPTION AGAIN
>17
>"The drow cast a flaming strike upon a chariot of slaves. They scream in pain inside of them as they look smugly upon you."
>"They go "So, do you still want these slaves? HMMM, HMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"
>I can taste the shit eating green from here
>The party isn't letting out a squeak. They also almost died in the final battle
>Not sure what to do

Good god, this is horrifying. I almost want a bel-air at the end just so I don't have to believe this is real.

>You're a Paladin Harry. You gotta try to save the two carriages who are left
>Once a line has been crossed, the only refuge is in audacity
>The DM is sure he has defeated me
>I pull down a piece of parchment and write down an invoice for a "5000 GP" quoting "Property Damage" and hand it to them
>His face changes
>Looking at me with a "surely, this guy must be retarded"
>I go "By all means, break the larder, but there's more where that came from"
>The DM goes quiet. He doesn't flip his lid, he doesn't turn the table, he doesn't tell us to leave
>We're at a con, he was contracted by the shop, he's doing a job.
>Surely, he'll make me roll an Intimidation ( Greed), right?
>Without missing a heartbeat, he goes "The drow pulls out his flail and chokes you with it
>Wait what?
>The Chimera looses a breath of fire. You all loose counsciousness
>wait what?
>As you fade in and out, you realize you are being dragged down to the underdark
>what, what?
>"THE END!! HEY GUYS, I HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOUR FIRST SESSION OF DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!!"
>wait, what?
>my friend is going "the fuck, we worked so hard!"
>"YES, THIS HERE AT THE END WAS A TYPICAL D&D CHOICE, THAT DETERMINED YOUR ADVENTURE NEXT WEEK"
>next week? What?
>YUP. IF YOU HAD ESCAPED THE DROW, YOU'D HAVE GONE ON TO THE TOWN AND AN INTRIGUE BASED ADVENTURE. BUT BECAUSE THEY GOT YOU, YOU GET TO ESCAPE FROM THE UNDERDARK
>it dawns on me
>all this time
>this is so he could have his shitty sequel hook
>there was never any chance to talk this this shit out, we were always going to have to be forced for this
>he just got fed up with this shit and couldn't handle having to move his ass and get creative
>I look at my friend and its like the air was visibly blown out of her chest
>rest of the party is looking away awkwardly
>DM is pretending nothing happened and trying to shake hands with the players before fucks off the shop's stands to brag and talk about his fantastic adventure