/twewy/ - The World Ends With You TTRPG - Thread #10

"Because someone has to make it" edition.

What is the World Ends With You?
It's a strikingly original Square Enix action RPG from 2008 for the Nintendo DS about trust, collective consciousness, desperation, imagination and fabulous outfits. Characters are swept into the Underground, a parallel dimension linked to major urban centers, where they run through a 7-day gauntlet of tasks and trials by higher-plane beings called Reapers. Band together and win the Reapers' Game and you have a shot at returning to the Real World. Fail, and you face erasure.

>What is this?
This is a Veeky Forums Homebrew RPG based on the above game. It's designed to be fast, simple and exciting, and it adapts virtually all of the mechanics from the source game to a form optimized for a tabletop experience. Most importantly, we've striven to preserve its core themes of cooperation, psychic powers and elaborate fashions.

>What system are you using?
We've adapted the core resolution mechanic from another Tabletop game Tenra Bansho Zero into our system. Roll a pool of dice based on your Stats, and count each die that's under your Skill or Psych as a success. It's fast, easy and dynamic. Characters only have four Stats based on your strength of will and mental condition, and only 9 Skills; mixing and matching Stats with Skills creates unique actions, such as rolling Protect:Rhythm to block a punch or Protect:Flow to dodge out of the way.

To flesh out your character, you come-up with free-form Tags like "The Gambler"or "Street Smarts" which describe unique elements of your character's personality and background which fills in the gaps in your Skills. Altogether, character creation takes all of five minutes.

Combat is fast and emphasizes cooperation. Players fight as a team, sharing their a common pool of HP and passing buffs to one another so that a different Player gets to the the superstar of each Round. Range is abstract, numbers are small and the action is lightning quick.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/15kJXvBVinsbst0tMWmzwaUj5ddk0hotd3nifw3Hs720/edit
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BjZMISS3zeRP4F8t0ZUtGpizFDeQWzJgiPoshp_sK3o/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What have you done so far?
Here's our main document, which contains all of our ideas recorded en masse. We're currently in the process of transcribing this into a properly composed PDF.
>docs.google.com/document/d/15kJXvBVinsbst0tMWmzwaUj5ddk0hotd3nifw3Hs720/edit

>What's on the agenda?

I'm glad you asked, imaginary person in my head! Basically, what we have to do is make some sweet clothing statistics to round out basic stuff for playtesting, and we want to make some reaper sports to fill out the grid. I don't have that on hand to link here.

We still also need to discuss what's happening with trust and the UG environment. If anyone can think of something else that is imperative, please mention it.

>We still also need to discuss what's happening with trust
Part of the reason why I think Trust may no longer be strictly necessary as a mechanic is that we've already got some systems in place to incentivize cooperation in combat, vis a vis Assists and Set-Ups which allow Players to boost one another basically at will. This makes it so that team-work in combat is somewhere between a good idea for standard fights and utterly vital for serious fights.

One other thought could be for Trust to impact Group HP, though from our playtest it seems that we've already got that HP down to a certain agreeable level.

It looks like we agree then. If anyone else has anything to say about keeping Trust, speak over the next... few days or so, I guess? If not, we can write it out.

Pretty much. It'll save a lot of room in the character sheet as well, so things will be a lot less crowded.

Most importantly to me, it'll give me room to include at the bottom a cheat sheet of combat actions and their AP costs. I've been really meaning to find a way to squeeze that in.

As far as Threads are concerned, here's what I'm thinking:

All threads have two abilities: a standard ability and a hidden ability. Hidden abilities aren't necessarily stronger than standard abilities, but accessing the hidden ability necessarily makes a Thread better because now it has two abilities instead of 1.

These include:

>Attack or Defense +X
This adds extra dice to your Attack or Defense roll

>HP +X
This grants its wearer Player HP, making them more able to protect the Group HP.

>Puck Sync+
When you pass the Light Puck, you can increment the Sync Die by 2 instead of 1.

>Puck Power +X
You do X more damage from attacks when you hold the Light Puck

>Hold that Puck
You can hold the Light Puck for an extra turn without dropping it and losing its Sync bonus.

>Clutter/Declutter
This ability causes more or less clutter to appear on the Battlefield.

What else should we include?

Additionally, I've been thinking if we should include the Positive/Negative/Neutral elements to Pins. It's another factor to consider in attack choices but it would make a lot of abilities and options easier to figure out (such as Noise that are immune to certain kinds of attacks).

Bump

Another bump

One more bump before I head out on the road

Bump

>HP +X
Perhaps making that Player HP +X, and having a separate one with Group HP +X which could provide less overall, but it's for the group as opposed to just you. We discussed this at length before, and I'm fairly certain this was what we arrived at.

Another idea is "Finisher: X" where the Finisher of your combos is changed from what they would currently do to whatever the thread does. Or the player could choose what they want, between their current one and the Thread Finisher.

Those sound good too. I'd say that player hp should come in higher amounts than group hp.

I agree.

bumpin

Decrease recharge time on psyches?
Could split it up so it only works on specific types, like force rounds, shockwave, etc

Instead of decreased cooldown, because there's already a pin for that and stacking effects isn't going to be fun for the GM, perhaps having more uses? That way, it isn't as powerful as decreased cooldown but can also be used on limited use pins too.

I'd say more Uses would be relevant.

What about the Combo+/- Threads? How would they affect stuff? I figure that the Threads that change the shape of your Combo tree map pretty well to the Finisher mod ability, but our Combo system is pretty rigidly built around balancing the Pins against each other, so how would it work?

Maybe it only affects your Intrinsic Psych, and lengthening your combo gives a damage bonus to your Finisher?

>perhaps having more uses

There's already a pin for that too.

It occurs to me that, if we want Combo+ to work, we'd have to scrap the Max Damage mechanic, unless we want to have a big, messy number... mess.

My reasoning is that, with the Max Damage being there, the pin would have to make 2 changes for the Combo+ Thread Effect, instead of 1. That would be, the maximum Combo (+1, easy) and the Max Damage (+ whatever the damage for a Hit is, not as easy, and harder to remember). Without Max Damage, it would just be adding 1 to the Hits in the Combo. If we make the Combo Finisher the end of the attack, it would include max damage anyway.

Triggering Combo can be Max Damage, as the Combo Finisher ends the Use action.

Stacking Uses is far less powerful than stacking Cooldown Reduction.

Having a 3-Use pin that resets in 3 Rounds (quite a long time in game, around 20~ish seconds, with most combat going max 5) that instead resets in 1 round (roughly 6-7 seconds) is busted.

Having a 3-Use pin that reboots in 3 seconds go up to 5 Uses, but still needs 3 rounds to reboot is strong, but not bonkers.

But that's just my feelings on the matter.

Not necessarily.

Hits in relation to Combos is a measurement of Difficulty. More Hits required from an attack means the Combo is more difficulty and the Finisher is harder to execute, which is why it does more damage (note that Finisher Damage is exempt from the Damage Limit for attacks).

For example, let's say a Pin has a Damage Max of 6 and deals 2 per Hit. That means it only needs to score 3 Hits to max out its damage.

If that Pin has a 3-Hit Combo, then it can score its finisher each time it deals Max damage. However if it has a 4-Hit Combo then it does the same damage but the combo is more difficult to execute since it requires an additional Hit. The trade-off being that the Finisher gets a damage boost, so if you can pull it off you can conceivably do more damage than you would otherwise.

But if you do that, Combo+ means that you would have to exceed the Max Damage for potentially no Combo. Going from Combo 3 to Combo 4, using your example, requires the Combo+ to be a damage increase of 3 at least to cancel out not dealing damage from the last die rolled.

With my suggestion, Combo still limits Max Damage, but the damage dealt from increasing the Combo comes from the pin used, not the thread, as well as it being an extra hit and dealing damage from a regular hit.

With Damage Max removed, a simple linear progression of +1, +2, +3, etc, can be used for threads. With Damage Max, the additional Damage would have to cancel out what you would be losing and wouldn't have a simple progression. I'd imagine it'd have to START at +2-3 damage for the Finisher trigger, as an addition to the +1 to the combo. A +2 to combo could either have anywhere between +4 to +7 damage. I'm not even sure what a +3 combo would have for damage. +8 to +13, I guess?

Once again, this is just my opinion, but I feel removing the Damage Max would make this Thread in particular easier to write.

Good point.

We may want to just leave Combos alone frankly; it might be going one bridge too far modifying with Threads.

Although we could have a Thread Ability that increases Damage Limit for certain Psychs...

However, if you do that, you run into the same issue. Increasing the Damage Limit but not increasing the Combo will mean the Finisher goes off without the extra Hits you've scored.

Unless I'm understanding wrong and Finisher isn't actually the end point of your Use. In which case, we should change the name of Finisher at least.

A Finisher is an extra effect that is triggered when you satisfy the Combo conditions. It doesn't cut your Use short, it follows the end of your attack as long as you've completed your Combo.

So a Finisher happens if you complete at least 1 Combo in your Use? What happens if you somehow roll well enough to get 2 Finishers in a single Use? Do you get 2 Finisher effects or just 1? And if you get multiple, would Finisher be an appropriate name for it?

My thought is that you can only trigger 1 Finisher per attack, though you can accomplish multiple Finishers per turn on separate attacks.

And we can totally change the name; maybe Critical Hit would be a more accurate term.

If you only get one per attack, Finisher is a fine term. I meant, if you get 2 or more in an attack, they'd be called something else, because then they aren't finishing a combo attack. Perhaps they could be called Bursts, like a burst of damage, or speed. The harder the Combo, the bigger the Burst. Combo 2, +1 damage Bursts (Massive Hit, etc etc), Combo 3, moving enemies or reducing their AP Bursts (shockwave, thunder pins, etc), Combo 4 and 5, area damage and status effects like HP drain or Break effects (street jam or other wide reaching attacks) or massive damage (flurry attacks), Combo 6+ is things you don't necessarily double up on, like Stun/Immobilize or something that is so strong, you shouldn't need another.

But, this is all stuff that I'm just coming up with off the top of my head and is probably silly because I am awake past my bedtime.

That does not mean I'm going to bed yet as I have no work tomorrow, but I'm not sure I make sense. I'll try to remain sensible.

bumpin before sleep

It's not necessarily silly, just perhaps too complex. We haven't even had a proper playtest of the combat using Commercial Psychs yet as they are.

I'm inclined to feel that we should currently avoid messing with Combos altogether and stick with more basic abilities for Threads.

For actually buying threads, here's an idea I had:

When a Player goes into a shop to buy Threads, one of the options is to go on a Hunt. This is a little minigame between the Player and the GM. The Player decides how much Cash she wants to spend, and then tries to roll a d10 under the Stat which the Thread is classified under. This is representative of the Player using her Stat to pick out the best Threads to fit her style.

If she rolls Under, then she has two options: she can look for a Bargain or a Hot Thread.

With a Bargain, she can reduce the amount of Cash she needs to spend to buy the Thread by however-much she rolled under. If she rolled 3 under 5, she saves 2 Cash.

Alternately, she can go for a Hot Thread and keep the cost the same but add that difference to the Thread's value-- in other words, the Thread's value is greater than its tag price.

A Thread's final value determines what kind of bonuses it has, which we can create a chart for the GM to reference. At Value [XX], a thread could have Attack + A, Defense + D, HP + H, etc...

If the Player rolls over her Stat, then the Thread is pricey, and the amount over the Stat she rolled gets added to its cost without affecting its value.

The result is that as Players get stronger they become more in-tune with their Stats, which makes them better able to find better Threads.

Adding to this, the Player can also add conditions to her Thread Hunt, such as "I want a Thread that gives Attack" which adds a floor to their roll, so to successfully find their Thread they need to roll at or below their stat AND above that floor. It makes the search harder but it means they can get exactly the thread they want, instead of one with randomly rolled Abilities within their price range.

Page 10 bump

And another one

The only problems I can find with this are that

1) It's really complicated. Like, on a game built around speed, this is quite slow in comparison.

2) This only interacts with 1 person, not the whole party. If the whole party want to do this, it's going to take up a huge amount of time, comparatively.

3) Players are expected to have certain amounts of money on certain days, correct? Like, 1000 yen on day 2, or 5000 on day 3. Roughly. Why not just take in to account how much money players are expected to have on each day and build Threads from there? If Players want something, but lack the necessary money, they can go out and grind. The DM can accelerate the process by giving more money from fights or giving the Players harder (and therefore more rewarding) fights, so it feels like they've earned it as a team.

Wow, that's a tangent and a half, isn't it?

4) How many times can this happen? Surely time is important here.

Another point is that a price is only good if it's the same amount as what you want to pay for it. Given the option, a player will always use this every time, if they can, because they're greedy. If they're told they have to have 60 Generic Funding Units, they'll go out and get them. If they're told they need that much OR could bargain bin a potentially better item at a cheaper cost, of course they're going to go with the cheaper option.

Bump before bed

bump

bumpin

Valid points. The goal with the idea is primarily to make shopping more than "the GM hands you a list of items, pick what you want", and instead turns it into a game in and of itself.

Individual points:

>1) It's really complicated. Like, on a game built around speed, this is quite slow in comparison.
This is intentional; shopping is meant to act as sort of a respite from the brutal grind of the Reaper's Game. I also don't think it would be THAT slow but it's obviously an untested procedure. For the record the idea comes from an indie game called Red Markets, which is a zombie game about economics, and the process actually doesn't take that long and is part of the fun of the game.

>2) This only interacts with 1 person, not the whole party. If the whole party want to do this, it's going to take up a huge amount of time, comparatively.
Valid point. If we were to iterate on this idea it would need to be streamlined more. The idea is that one player can be doing this with her time with the other players are taking care of other business; the way I see it, most days will probably dedicate a small block of time to Upkeep like this, purely so the Players are prepared enough to handle the challenges.

>3) Players are expected to have certain amounts of money on certain days, correct? Like, 1000 yen on day 2, or 5000 on day 3.
Possibly; for the record I'm a proponent of an abstracted money system where money is just "Cash" and is measured in small amounts; like a Hotdog or a cup of coffee is 1 Cash, a basic thread might be 5 Cash. That way the currency can be reflavored for whatever location the UG is in.

>4) How many times can this happen? Surely time is important here
There would definitely be a limited to how many items a Player can shop for in a given Beat.

Why don't we have this being the Reaper Shop, with this being one of the Reaper Sport sections, Shopping Spree.

Find a bargain, or if you can't, pay a high price!

The only thing is, it would have to be generic threads that come up from this. No LASS or BOY pieces, not really specific to any Stat (though you could add that modifier easily), not specifying effect (though, once again, added modifiers) and it can't make them overpowered for their point in the campaign.

And if Bargain Hunt is used during regular shopping, it should be limited to once per day per player for time related reasons and not forcing everyone to watch one player masturbate over their new clothes they've discovered. Maybe twice if they've failed the first time.

I'm not against this; I think a simplified version of the original shopping system will work nicely for standard Thread shopping, and a more complex, gamey version will work for a Reaper Sport.

For Thread Cost, I figured it would be linked to its Requirements, with higher Requirement Threads costing more than lower Requirements to signify that they are made for more seasoned players. Since Stat growth is also linked to the progression of the game, that also functions as a way to scale cost with progression.

Thing is, with requirements for threads, they should only be for specific abilities for clothes. Things that signify that Stat at that level.

Suicide aggro for Bravery.

Motion and deception for Flow.

Mind over matter and similar ideas for Insight.

Balls to the wall for Rhythm.

And other ideas for similar things. These are examples.

I actually see Rhythm as the tanky, heavy damage but slow bruiser, in comparison to the high speed no defense or health suicidally aggressive Bravery. Not quite as high attack power, but far more survivability.

I agree with this.

Certain abilities, because of their universal usefulness, should be available to all Stats. These would include Attack+, Defense+ and Player HP+.

Past that, we could maybe do it as a Magic-type thing where every Ability has a primary Stat, which defines what kind of Threads almost always have it, and a secondary Stat, so that occasionally you can come across a Thread that has an ability you wouldn't expect. Sound right?

Something kinda like this:

>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BjZMISS3zeRP4F8t0ZUtGpizFDeQWzJgiPoshp_sK3o/edit#gid=0

Arguably, Team HP+ should go to Flow and Insight, whereas Player HP+ should go to Rhythm and Bravery, though I don't really see Bravery or Flow contributing to anybody's HP total. However, that's my opinion. Everyone should be able to get HP+ of both flavours.

In addition, your Magic-typing may put limiters on things. Why not just have a selection of effects of the different Stats, and at what point in the Days one could acquire them? Like, I wouldn't expect them to be appearing in the first two days, but by Day 3, maybe you'd see clothing with "Limitation: Bravery 6," with the ability "Melee +2d," making their close range attacks stronger, or "While below Max Team HP, gain +1d on attacks," or something. Something strong, but obviously things on Day 6 and 7 are way better, but have more limitations.

Rhythm is comparatively: Offensive, Ranged, Strong-bodied

Flow is comparatively: Defensive, Melee, DOTs

Insight is comparatively: Defensive, Ranged, Timing-based

Bravery is comparatively: Offensive, Melee, Obsessive

This is a very simplified version of the stats, and some characters will obviously break the mold of this, but this is for Stat-Threads. Someone else can suggest ideas for describing the Stats if they want, but this is what I'm going to run off for Thread creation until then.

Also, with Health, Red Zone should be the players' lowest Stats added together. Day 1, that's potentially 4 health, Day 3, probably closer to 8-12, provided they use their second daily Stat-up to buff their weakest stat, not their second primary stat.

Something to keep in mind for suicide Threads, since we're inevitably going to make them.

But not tonight for be because sleep.

I'd be interested to see a full write-up on this since you seem to have a very good grasp on the concept.

The one thing I am keen on is having Attack+ and Defense+ abilities go no higher than +5; any higher than you're in a situation where you can very easily get more bonus dice than you can roll. +5 might even be too much, maybe +3 is more reasonable.

Bump before work ends. I like where this discussion is going, I think we may be onto something as far as Threads are concerned.

Bump

bumping page 10

Generic +5 effects would be Day 7 effects, with Damage bonuses (not Attack bonuses) maxing out at +2, because of their abusability with rapid hit pins, such as Flurry and Rounds.

Limited Edition swag would have stronger effects but also have a limit to who can use them.

I'll write up a list and post it soon.

Late night bump

bump

Gonna be busy for the next few hours, so I'll give a run down now of what the abilities I've decided on giving each Stat... give. So far, and you'll see this in the google doc, there are 10 abilities that we haven't discussed.

Heavy: The clothes provide both Attack and Defense, but moving costs you an additional 1 AP.

BAL/BDL: I stole this idea from FFX, it's Breaking Attack Limit and Breaking Defense Limit respectively. Wearing these will always give you the bonus to Attack or Defense, even if it would normally exceed the 15 max dice. These are applied last, so the effect is most likely to trigger. I'm considering lowering their bonus to Attack and Defense below the average for Attack and Defense, with 10 Rhythm giving a +4 instead, so they don't build around having over 30 dice for attacking, but as it is now, if they only get 1 piece (only available through Bargain Hunting a Reaper Shop, for example) then they can only get up to 21 dice, which is still tons, but isn't AS broken. And the soft lock on attack dice being effective through damage limits on pins means it's only likely that they're going to set-up well.

Motion is a modifier to clothes. It allows freedom of movement and rolling again for a piece of clothing that is only slightly worse in other regards.

Wall: Reduces Damage taken. That's it. Straight-up damage reduction.

+/-: + Attack dice, - Defense dice. Can break attack limits, but the drawback is heavy.

Suicide X: When in Red Zone (the lowest stats combined health total) you gain these. Breaks limits because of course they do, they have to, to be better than the Break X Limit abilities. Defense is in Insight because Insight seems like they'd be the smart ones who want more Defense when they're nearly dead.

Suicide Starter: Start the battle in Red Zone, but inflict certain status effects at the start of battle to everyone who can be effected by them. AB= Attack Break, DB= Defense Break, St= Stun, Im= Immobilize.

More when I return.

New ideas expanding on this:

DDM: Double Damage Max. Modifier for the clothes, which also get another effect as though it was at -1 effectiveness. This only is really effective with clothes that add more damage though.

Finisher Mod: It modifies your current Finisher for your Pins to have the listed effect. As with Suicide Starter, I'd imagine someone who was rolling with, say for example, a Rank 7 stat and picks that up, you can choose any of the effects before it if you don't want that one.

HPD: HP Drain, usually an effect on Fire and Poison pins. Generic DOTs effect.

Dapper: Adds dice to any rolls for talking to people.

Regen: Regenerate that much health each round.

Finisher Power +: Deals additional damage on Finisher to all targets it effects.

Quick Wit: Another Mod for clothing, and functions in the same way as other Mods. Gives a +1 sync die per round and another effect at a worse score. The sync only persists for one round.

More as I think of them.

bumping for page 9 before I take a look at all this good stuff.

First off, excellent work. This is a ton of content that we can use and is just the kickstart the Thread system needs.

>Heavy
Love this one. Very nicely balanced and leads to some really unique character builds. I'd almost suggest increasing the movement penalty so that it's equal to the Attack and Defense bonus; so that really super effective Heavy Threads practically glue you in place.

>BAL/BDL
Could work. Note that there's no reason why someone CANT roll more than 15d; in Tenra Bansho Zero there's no upward limit on dice at all. We mainly put it in so that we wouldn't be asking Players to roll Exalted levels of d10s, but as Exalted proves, Players can still handle ridiculous dice pools.

>Motion is a modifier to clothes. It allows freedom of movement and rolling again for a piece of clothing that is only slightly worse in other regards.
Not sure I get this one. Can you elaborate?

>Wall: Reduces Damage taken. That's it. Straight-up damage reduction.
Fair enough. If we decide to introduce Positive/Negative elements to attacks, we could also have Walls that are specific to each type.

>Suicide X, Suicide Starter
Gotta have that LASS

>DDM: Double Damage Max
Would this apply to ALL Pins that a Player is wearing, or only a specific one?

>Finisher Mod
Agree with this.

>HPD
In addition to this, there needs to be abilities that boost the functions of the other Effects as well.

>Dapper
Interesting; so far this is the only one that has a non-combat purpose. Do we want to iterate on that?

>Regen
We'll need to keep this one under close watch to make sure it doesn't unbalanced combat or anything.

>Finisher Power+
Yes

>Quick Wit: Another Mod for clothing, and functions in the same way as other Mods. Gives a +1 sync die per round and another effect at a worse score. The sync only persists for one round.
Can you elaborate on this one too? Not sure I get what you mean.

>increasing the movement penalty
But if you do that, some characters would use the weaker gear to avoid that. Instead, I made it so that each additional piece you wear is cumulative, meaning you need to spend more AP to move.

>BAL/BDL
I put in those specifically to break the limit, and they don't work if there's no limit to break. If we decide on no limit, they'll just be better Attack and Defense +. I'm cool with either, but I put it in to specifically be able to break the limit, which currently only Rhythm and Bravery do for offense, and Rhythm only has it on SS Threads.

>Modifiers
Okay, so I thought that some things won't have different or improved effects as you go up in Stat Rank. The idea is, it's an effect that happens to the clothes, but it's minor enough to warrant being attached to another effect, but it costs, effectively, one Stat Rank, so the effect is the Mod plus another effect.

Say, for example, the Player is rolling for a Flow piece with Flow 6 and pulls a 10, netting the Mod Motion. They get this effect and then roll again, but their Flow has a -1 modifier because they have the Mod, meaning they are effectively rolling at Flow 5. They then roll a 3, getting an HP+. Instead of getting an HP+4, they get the next Rank down, which is HP+3, because they're at Rank 5, not 6. The final piece would have Motion and HP+3. It's the same for each Mod, which is why they're all 10s.

Motion itself means the player doesn't become impeded by large amounts of stuff in the field, and can pass through without issue. Obviously, if it's impassable, they still can't pass through.

>Positive/Negative
We'll figure out our combat stuff first. If we want to add it in, we can do it later.

>DDM
All pins, was my thought. Double damage alone means nothing without increased damage or attack anyway, which is why it's a mod.

char limit

>abilities that boost the functions of the other Effects
How would we apply that effect in this? I'm thinking changing Quick Wit to Bravery, and renaming it to Lucky.

>Regen
Currently, at highest level, it heals 4 damage per round. If a character builds around nothing but that ability, it can get to 16 HP per round.

However, rolling 4 separate items that are all Regen at the highest Rank is literally 1/10000, so I doubt that will come up too often. Especially if the DM is rolling these things in secret, meaning they don't give them more regen toys. Or, the bosses could just target them down because they have put all their eggs in one basket and have no defensive abilities whatsoever beyond their basic Defense. And will probably be slugged for at least 20 damage, meaning they'll still be down by 4. And this isn't counting damaging other teammates with the shockwave or anything.

But once again, I don't expect the players to have each person decked out in full Regen gear.

>Quick Wit
Mod, as explained in my last post, with the ability to gain a temporary Sync point each round to spend. It fizzles at the start of your next turn.

Do these make sense?

>I put in those specifically to break the limit, and they don't work if there's no limit to break. If we decide on no limit, they'll just be better Attack and Defense +. I'm cool with either, but I put it in to specifically be able to break the limit, which currently only Rhythm and Bravery do for offense, and Rhythm only has it on SS Threads.
I'm totally fine with there being limit that these Threads can break; I think that makes them particularly desirable. The limit is useful for providing a general rule that Players can rely on. Keep it.

>Mod, as explained in my last post, with the ability to gain a temporary Sync point each round to spend. It fizzles at the start of your next turn.
Makes sense, I like it.

>
Say, for example, the Player is rolling for a Flow piece with Flow 6 and pulls a 10, netting the Mod Motion. They get this effect and then roll again, but their Flow has a -1 modifier because they have the Mod, meaning they are effectively rolling at Flow 5. They then roll a 3, getting an HP+. Instead of getting an HP+4, they get the next Rank down, which is HP+3, because they're at Rank 5, not 6. The final piece would have Motion and HP+3. It's the same for each Mod, which is why they're all 10s.
How do you envision Players rolling for abilities working? In the system that I sketched out, the roll would be a simple d10 provided you can successfully find a Thread, but it looks like you might have a slightly more interesting idea. How do you see it working?

>How do you envision Players rolling for abilities working?
I think I want Players to have a Bargain Hunt that involves everyone. Each Player chooses their Stat that they want Threads for. They then roll a d10 for what they want (Hence why each Stat is labelled 6-10, with Generics being 1-5) and they find something listed in the Ability Roller.

After they find it, they can choose to either buy that piece for (whatever cost) OR buy a piece that is worse (below their Rank, as listed) at half what that thread would usually cost.

This way, they can choose between something REALLY GOOD, or something not quite as good, but still decent for way less. Limit, obviously once per day.

Also, they can get clothes Tailor Made, meaning they can pay an excessive amount (twice the price?) for something specific, but only that player can wear it and it's made to the same effect as though it was rolled, meaning you can't buy a piece for a Rank you don't yet have, but you can buy anything you qualify for. Once again, this can only be done once per day, as tailoring clothes takes Time.

Once again, I hope this is sensible.

I'm looking at the Thread Ability chart that you filled out and just wondering what the "Bonus" header is meant to be. It was original the Stat Requirement level (which is why it starts at 3; anything lower and it's kind of meaningless). Is that still it's purpose? Because if so I think I'm following.

Walk me through this:

So let's say I've got a Rhythm of 7 and I'm shopping for Rhythm Threads. I roll a 6. What happens?

So with a Rhythm of 7, rolling a 6 gets you the Rhythm-specific number 6, being an improved Player HP+, and at 7 Rhythm, you would get a +8 Player HP Thread.

If you look up the top, above the first column, there's a Stat\Rank, and is supposed to be the division of the column being the Stat you're rolling, and the Rank being the Rank of the Stat. Bonus is stating the given bonus at the given Ranking.

There is no bonus for Gear at Rank 2 or less, because they'd be literal rags.

So in other words it's impossible to get a Thread Ability above your Stat Level, but it is possible to get them below your Stat Level?

I think I like this. It's very quick which I like and very easy; the downside is that it might be a bit limiting, but if the List is constructed intelligently it's not because the stronger Abilities are listed higher up on the chart.

It's important to be able to buy below your Stat Level because some things have different effects based on Level, and they aren't necessarily better or worse than the others. Something like HP Drain on the Finisher Mod ability. If you can get that, but would rather have the Defense Break because you're more focused on weakening the enemy rather than causing slow HP loss over time, you can. Or perhaps you'd rather slow the enemy's attacks so your team isn't getting crushed with every attack, so you take Attack Break. That kind of thing.

Also, lower Level clothes are cheaper. If a Player can't afford a Level 6 top with Suicide Power +, they could instead go one lower and buy a Level 5 SP+ top instead. It's weaker, but it's also cheaper.

I was thinking also that certain shops would stock certain Stats, but that would unfairly limit Players if you don't go to certain places.

Good points; I'm liking where this is going. I'll work on coming up with some other abilities to fill in the rest.

>I was thinking also that certain shops would stock certain Stats, but that would unfairly limit Players if you don't go to certain places.
It's a thing in the game where Shops are Branded, and Brands I think normally encompass 1-2 Stats each.

It's also a thing in games where each Brand only has certain abilities, but that's in an effort to populate the game with hundreds and hundreds of Threads. We won't need to do that since Thread creation is bound to be mostly on-demand.

New suggestion.

Iron Soul. It's the Mod for Bravery. Once per fight, if you would be reduced to 0 health or less, you are brought to 1 health instead. Fight Chains carry this over. If you use it, it's gone until the chain battle ends.Having multiples is useless, it only triggers once for the wearer.

So this would only be a useful Thread if its wearer possesses Player Health, yes? Or is it meant to affect Group HP?

Higher Ranking versions would grant more Health at 0 I reckon.

Okay what about:

Flow 7:
>Puck Power+
When you pass the Puck, the Player who receives deals +X damage while holding it.

Flow 8:
>Puck Sync
Whenever you pass the Light Puck, you can increase its Sync counter by 2 instead of 1. This is a Mod ability.

I like these for Flow because they represent controlling and improving the flow momentum and energy of battle, and they actually buff your allies instead of just yourself.

Also, what does Power+ do exactly? Is that a pure damage boost?

Page 10 bump

Bump

>Group HP
This one. But only for that Player with it on. It's a Mod so the effect is decent but not super powerful, and doesn't ramp either.

>Puck Power +
So the Player holding the Puck deals more damage on attacks? Seems great.

>Puck Sync
I think that Puck Sync can scale without too much issue, because that'd make it easily powerful enough that it wouldn't need to be a Mod ability, especially if it's letting you use Fusion faster.

>buff your allies
I think that Threads should focus on single target effects or be really weak. Imagine if multiple characters had Puck Power on and then gets a ridiculous boost to damage with it on, and can pass it to give the next person a boost.

>Power +
Yep. Pure damage boost.

bump

bump

bump

I have a copy of TWEWY but still haven't gotten around to playing it. Seeing a thread like this has motivated me to fix my DS's hinge and power through it. Remember seeing this game on a lot of top RPG lists back in the day.

bump