MtG Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

Eldritch Moon card image gallery:
>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon

Don't post your casual decks here please.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=106371
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meek-thopters-3/
youtube.com/watch?v=iNY53olLtFE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

TIERS ARE USAGE-BASED. A Tier 2 deck may be better than a Tier 1 deck in a specific Metagame.

First for UW D&T.

So what's the deal with D&T decks now? Is eldrazi and taxes a straight upgrade or is it meta dependent as to which is better?

Eldrazi is a straight upgrade since there's no real reason to be playing mono colour in Modern.

Mono white is has a more consistent mana base and a waaaay better burn match and doesn't die to a fucking bloodmoon.
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=106371

>and doesn't die to a fucking bloodmoon.

that's like saying tarmogoyf is shit because it dies to doom blade

If doomblade was a heavily played card ala lightning bolt that would be a correct assessment.

You're an idiot. The reason to play MonoW is the Fetchland hosers, Arbiter and Mindcensor, which serve as the backbone of DnT.

Those would be the taxes part of eldrazi and taxes.

Hahaha! You wanted to play Magic? Fool! Only one of us get to play Magic tonight!

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/

Fuck outta here you lanky bum crack

by the time leo hits the board you've already got your colors and can just nuke him.

What does Blue and White have against a Tron matchup? Stony silence is never enough in my experience. Is Ghost Quarter and Tec edge all there really is besides Stony?

get hand info and pithing needle his o stone/ugin/karn

Eldrazi and taxes is as good as its going to get

Why is Greater Gargadon so damn expensive? I can kind understand the whole dredge thing, but for real though, why?

It likes to eat all your money.

Because when a new deck performs well investors pick one card and force up the price with buyouts.

And e&t has access to eldrazi. Why do you think mono w has a way better burb my?

You don't need fetches to play multiple colours you faggot.

*Burn MU

Ghost Quarter, Spreading Seas.

Because people are stupid and follow the winning deck. Bridge Dredge is dangerously inconsistent and it's been somewhat luck that let it take home two big tournaments and somewhat the sheer number of people playing it in the second. You'll notice that of the top 32 only one of the Dredge lists that made it were using 4 Gargadon 4 Bridge.

It's hype.

I'v been making a modern graveyard based deck with creatures like Splinterfright, Boneyard wurm and Ghoul tree as some of the base cards.
But I'm not sure if I should include blue or black in the deck. Black gives me access to cards like Vengeful Pharaoh, Lord of Extinction, Jarad and Worm harvest, but blue has Mirror-mad, Scaab ruinator, exploit cards and some instants that make my creatures unblockable. Or I couls just make it Sultai.

Is your graveyard deck faster or more consistent than dredge? No? Then play dredge.

I want to make Eggs great again. Lotus Bloom is a card begging to be broken. There must be something no one's noticed.

This is the modern competitive general.

Oh sorry, didn't see comp.

Sure, after all I get tired after winning all day. When I'm not taking all the turns, I'm practicing this deck. It was hard at first, but I'm putting up better results now.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meek-thopters-3/

Taking turns isn't even a good deck.

so...second turn then? because hes literally 2 mana you moron

>black gives me access to vengeful pharoah

lol

colorless gives you access to vengeful pharoah, dredge gives you access to vengeful pharoah

yeah. what part of my statement didn't you understand?

>mono white put up most of the results this month and the sole reason it's tier 2.

Get fucked

When are we going to get cards that proactively protect graveyards?

>Darlagoyf
>while Darlagoyf is in play graveyards have hexproof

No enemy snappy shit either

Daily reminder that major vendors are given prior information about new sets and that Reid Duke's brother Works in R&D.

That wouldn't do anything. "You have hexproof" effects protect you from things like Bojuka Bog and Relic's first mode. "Cards in graveyards have hexproof" protects you from things like Faerie Macabre or Memory's Journey. "Cards can't be exiled from graveyards" would protect you from the trigger of Rest in Peace and from Relic of Progenitus. There's not really a straightforward way to word something that would protect you from the static effects of Rest in Peace, Leyline of the Void or Anafenza though. The closest thing would be to outright reverse it, since a replacement effect can only be applied to an event once, but they'd never do that because it would read something like "If a card or token would be exiled from anywhere, instead put it into its owner's graveyard" and that would cause all sorts of problems.

Here's your reminder that nobody cares.

Which is why the game is going to shit.

>There must be something no one's noticed.
There isn't.

You're just a whiny man child.

Enjoy being manipulated for your hard-earned cash.

>Not being in on it

What are the top 3 most obnoxious modern lists to play against that aren't garbage (IE they should atleast be tier 3).

I have plenty of expendable money. How about just worry about yourself

Esper draw go
Mardu
Spirits tribal

All 3 are solid tier 1 decks.

>Spells and abilities your opponent control can't prevent cards from going to your graveyard
>Spells and abilities your opponent control can't remove cards from you graveyard
Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

Tron
Grishoalbrand
Burn

mardu pox is rad as fuck son

Wew lad you're retarded
>what are obnoxious decks

>this shit deck is rad bro!

Saying something can't "prevent" an action implies that what it is stopping is a Prevention Effect. RiP isn't a Prevention Effect, it's a Replacement Effect, so that doesn't quite work out.

>Spells and abilities your opponent controls can't exile cards from your graveyard
Would work the same as "Cards in graveyards can't be exiled", except for not protecting your opponent.

I guess you might also be able to get away with some very awkward wording like "If a card would be put into your graveyard, it can't be exiled", but I'm pretty sure that would break something too.

Create a new keyword.

Graveyards are stale.
They cannot be interacted in anyway by your opponent or spells they control

The thing is, abilities that affect how cards in your graveyard are treated wouldn't save you from Rest in Peace's Replacement Effect, because Rest in Peace is modifying where cards that are not in the graveyard would be put.

Well word it differently it's their job to figure this out. It really wouldn't be that hard. Just ban rip. Lazy design

They only need to figure it out if they want to print cards that protect your graveyard, which is not something it really seems like they want to do.

Alright, I think this works, but it sounds pretty weird:
>If a spell or ability an opponent controls would affect a card or token that would be put into your graveyard from anywhere, you may ignore that spell or ability.

That's more-or-less the way it would work so that it can't be abused with any of your own cards.

>obnoxious deck
>at least tier 3

fite me fgt

Would a card like this see play in modern? Or does it seem too weak for what it does?

>turn 1 burd
>turn 2 3 drop
>turn 3 Evolution to this guy, win the game
seems fine. would be a fringe deck in the vein of grishoalbrand

I think you may actually have a disability. I'm sorry then.

There are zero instants or sorceries that cost 1 generic mana

>Expedite gives it Haste
>Tainted Strike gives it +1/+0 and Infect
>Ruse of Adrenaline gives it +2/+1 and Trample
>Coat with Venom gives it +1/+2 and Deathtouch
>Each Might of Old Krosa gives it +4/+4

It basically lets you make a janky ass combo with one chance to kill your opponent. It's not the greatest, but someone would play it.

It says converted mana cost before that, so it's obvious just doesn't know how to force formatting in MSE (Highlight the number and press Ctrl+m).

it's converted mana cost of 1

What would it even do? Use a combat trick on a summoning sick creature? Bolt your own creature?

You probably have some very specific combo in mind and making cards solely for those is just bad design. Also this is not custom card general.

Slip Through Space would also give it unblockable and draw a card. 5 mana you win is not really a fun design though.

Instants, user.

see

That's like turning on the air conditioning because the radiator is too warm.

>Use a combat trick on a summoning sick creature?

There are at least 4 Modern legal CMC 1 Instants that give haste, so that's a big part of the trick right there.

So it's "have a counter or die on the spot"
Yeah, great card

It does necessitate a very fragile and shitty deck though. It's a 110% Johnny card, it would never do well enough to be a real threat but it would be an obnoxious thing to die to.

It probably would not see print with Hexproof. Considering it is a do or die card, it should at least be vulnerable to being shot.

Try kci eggs. Here's my list for it. Usually go 2-2-0 at fnm with it, and that's about as good as the deck will ever do without second sunrise

What do people think of modern puzzles for these threads? Like, describing a situation in a match and asking people to figure out the best moves?

I love them

I think it's pure autism.

depends on the deck they're related to. if nothing else, I like that they keep the thread bumped so I have stuff to read at work.

>The problem
Modern can attack you from so many different angles that it's impossible to play a reactive game and everyone is forced into proactive decks.

>The solution
Reprint Force of Will so reactive decks have ways to stop fast decks in their tracks, and reprint Wasteland so you can attack mana bases harder. Wasteland would also make mono colour decks more viable as it would let them bully enemy mana bases.

Force and Wasteland are actually the heroes Modern needs.

I don't know about Wasteland, but it would be interesting to test out Force in Modern.

just play legacy. wasteland is absolutely not ok if the best dual lands we have access to are shocks.

I want to try and make Geosurge work.

>T1
Steam Vents, egg
>T2
Steam Vents, Reshape the egg for 0, get Lotus Petal, crack for RRR, Pyretic Ritual, Geosurge, play eggs to launder the mana into normal mana

Perhaps the problem is you're being too greedy with your manabase then. It's not like Daze is legal.

>Geosurge
>Cycle a star for U
>Snapcaster Geosurge
STORM
T
O
R
M

>Throw in a Cloud Key to make eggs cost 0
Oh god I'm brewing as hard as I can. I'll probably need to make this RUG just for Ancient Stirrings.

Lets try this one. You are in an ad nauseam mirror match, game 1, on your fourth turn and have not played a land yet. You have three lands, a lotus bloom, and a pentad prism with 2 counters on it, you have decided to combo off using the lotus bloom and three lands to cast angel's grace and then ad nauseam. The opponent taps their last untapped mana to cast angel's grace in response to ad nauseam, and then lets your ad nauseam resolve. You currently have a lotus bloom and pact of negation in hand. What do you do?

>cloud key
What about a lower cmc version?

I'm going up to at least 7 cards in hand and leaving mana up to keep my opponent from going off next turn. although I'm pretty sure it was retarded of us to attempt to go off in the first place.

Didn't even know that existed. I dunno about it though.

Take this autistic shit to fucking mtgs or something.

What would you rather talk about?

judging by the rest of the thread, he'd probably rather bitch about prices or bannings or shitpost about esper draw go and mardu midrange.

This isn't the optimal play, while this is certainly mitigating your losses, there exists a much stronger play.

I'm not surprised I missed the best line; I've never played the deck and rarely played against it. does angels grace say you can't lose or just your life total can't go below 1? are we supposed to cast lab man and serum visions? I'm too lazy to look up deck lists or oracle text.

They can't lose the game and you can't win the game in addition to the not being able to go below 1 from damage ability. So you can't win the game this turn.

so after we make a land drop we have 3 mana on board? if we flip the deck, we can use monkeys to cast lab man and unlife?

This is the optimal play. It sets up a win on your next turn and forces the opponent to have multiple angel's graces to win. When you discard to hand size, you would keep three pact of negations, your other three angel's grace, and the last card doesn't matter. This effectively prevents your opponent from doing anything relevant during their next turn and allows you to win on your next draw step or the draw step after that if they have multiple angel graces.

See this video, where in a very similar scenario, the guys opponent misses this play.
youtube.com/watch?v=iNY53olLtFE

Why wouldn't you just Pact his Angel's Grace if you had one in hand?

>Split Second

What do you guys think about ur storm
can it be viable
i want to build it but im in doubt