Recently finished a campaign with this

Recently finished a campaign with this.
Thoughts on the game/system?

I think it's very lore-friendly while still giving you room to change it around a bit, but the combat system is a tad overdone (atleast for me).

also just a general opinions thread. post a game and get barraged with opinions

I like it, not sure why its not that popular. Its way better than the other two versions WoTC put out. My group is playing the version from FFG right now.

I don't know why, but I can't get behind Fantasy Flight's. It's not that it's bad, I just can't. Still used to the D20 system, not eager to leave it.

Jedi are fucking overpowered, jedi knight is the most crazy prestige to exist, noble is fucking useless. The game is full of options, but 80% is useless shit and you soon find out that there are only a handful of GOOD options here.
Skill focus (use the Force) should be banned at all tables.

True, but you missed Martial Artist. Also, Nobles aren't useless, just use impaired, and Skill Focus (Use The Force) having a level seven requirement is a decent balance.

I actually love it.

My favourite, dearest character of all time was played using this system.

A little, simple astromech droid.

I would also say that droids and certain martial arts options can be even more broken than force users, if built right. In my opinion at least.

The most fun I've had with a noble. My wealth talent allowed me to start as a full replacement cyborg at the beginning. Also, pick up some serious shields and unlimited flying. Through picking up backgrounds instead of destiny and also sweet talking DM, I've also started with a Borg Construct in my skull. Through some memes with Dual Gear I've integrated weapons and tools into my robolimbs - good ones, of course, so I've had to cheese. Ain't no rule saying you can't strip your robolimbs, making them a size larger! This way I could hold a rifle in my arm.
This was not an especially powerful character, but he was certainly... Unique and played in a very fun way. My favourite moment was when he took over a starfighter drone with his mind, then rode it into space. Like a horse. Because I got to ignore vacuum, temperature and the lack of air as a full replacement cyborg.

Money is the best superpower.

> remember how much Borg construct costs
> mfw

OP can agree with this.
My first mistake was running a crew with a single Jedu and a bunch of non-Jedu.
Jedu got all the action and never took damage.
Rest of crew (a scout, a noble, and some other shit) got fucking destroyed by every enemy.

I disagree that Nobles are useless, though. They're just useless in combat. They're pretty fucking useful in most other situations.

I do have a problem with Bounty Hunter requiring that you have some levels in Scout, though (it doesn't directly require scout, but requires some talent or ability only scout has, if I recall) because Scout sucks dick.

My DM did not know that you can only react to an actiin once. So a comon sight was for the party jedi to deflect everything, then use negate energy if they were hit anyway.

Same here. I'm not a huge fan of the dice, but my biggest gripe is everything is so lethal and the fact the classes feel built around intense specialization. Neither of those things come to mind when I think of "Star Wars".

People always jump down my throat here when I bring that up though.

I rather like the idea of the dice, actually, but everything is just so... Different, I guess. They are really trying to be different with the FFG one, and I don't like it (again, not fucking sure why).

I liked it but had to give it a lot of work for the spergs in my group.

Only major change was adding a version of the mods and crafting from kotor

This is my main problem too. I think if I were to run it again (plausible, but unlikely because I like the mechanics of FFG a lot,) I'd delete the Jedi class and make people cobble together the stuff they need to be a "Jedi" in other classes. If open up the Jedi talent trees to all classes, and probably give everyone a bonus feat to make becoming a Jedi at level 1 viable, though it requires some sacrifice and some anti-min-maxing. So a non human Padawan learner would have force sensitive and lightsaber training.

That is like the worst iteration of the Star Wars RPG. WEG 4 lyfe.

I dunno, I rolled a sniper focused character who always drop prone for max snipping and min targetting. GM forbade dropping prone and snipping after he killed my character in a cutscene 5 levels later.

It is a piece of complete garbage that puts the GM in a position to either make the entire party be force-users or make the entire party stay as far away from force-user classes as possible.

Use The Force is the most broken skill ever. A shoddily-built force-user character can and WILL outdo every other class.

TL;DR: Star Wars: Caster Supremacy edition

Probably the best d20 game, but horribly balanced Jedi vs non Jedi, a poopy skill system made worse by letting you sub the force for pretty much anything, and a shit ton of trap options. I had a lot of fun with it but with FFG I left and never looked back

>snipping
>character goes apeshit with his scissors of death

>That picture
Needs destroyed computer monitors in the background

The class system in FFG is a money-grabbing abomination, especially in the light of the much better affinity system they've implemented in dark heresy 2nd edition.
My other problem with the system is that gear is pretty vague at times.

But SW is pretty lethal : Mooks get OS, and main characters have to grab a prosthesis or spend a week in the bacta tank when they get hit. On the other hand it's pretty hard to actually kill someone in the game if you don't have a disintegrator.
Also, I'd say that since skills and talents give you yellow dice and environmental modifiers for the most part, people tend to be pretty polyvalent, with the crack engineer doing pretty good field medicine, and so on.

And WEG rules. Darkstryder 4 ever.

>But SW is pretty lethal : Mooks get OS, and main characters have to grab a prosthesis or spend a week in the bacta tank when they get hit.

Yeah, but the FFG games still feel weirdly lethal; like you're supposed to be playing a background character. I think I can best summarize it this way: you go into the game wanting to play Han Solo, but you wind up playing Greedo.

It's like the devs went through the OT and decided Han Solo needed like thirty of those retarded dice just to escape from Docking Bay 94.

Like I kind of get what they were going for. Can't have a bunch of OC steel donuts "overshadowing" the canon characters. But that's just a problem you get with any pre-existing universe from pop culture.

I dunno, if I ever ran a Star Wars game I'd probably use a generic system like Fate or Savage Worlds and set it like a hundred years after RotJ so I wouldn't have the "Let's go kill Darth Vader!" problem.

Wait, which book had rules for full conversion cyborgs?

It's because you're trapped in d20 Hotel California. When you mature a bit you'll be able to move up to better systems, probably.

>system elitism

no

Galaxy of War, p.50

>the only possible way for a lightsaber user to cut off an opponent's hand in combat is to spend a valuable Jedi Knight prestige class talent

This kind of touches on one of the main problems of running a Star Wars RPG. How do you stat a lightsaber? How do you abstract how a Jedi can improve his use of the lightsaber? Characters like Luke and Rey (inb4 LOL MARY SUE) have minimal training with lightsabers but are both very effective with them. How much damage should Han Solo's blaster do? It oneshots everyone it hits and it's a commercially available sidearm. Except it didn't one-shot Vader, he was able to just tank it with the Force. How do you stat that? Is that an ability? Do you learn that ability? Is there some special technique for it or is it just something you can do with the Force?

Now I know the autists over at Wookiepedia have come up with the round capacity of an E-11 and the sublight top speed of a Star Destroyer and the fuel volume of Boba Fett's jet pack but all of that is just conjecture because it never once plays a role in the movies. I think this is why the FFG game is so lethal some times; they're statting weapons based on how we see them in the movies, and they're really fucking strong when they're used against someone the plot says can die.

This is why I honestly prefer Fate for SW games. Star Wars really isn't something you should abstract into stat blocks and talent trees and ability lists.

>needing optimization
>in fucking saga

>Money is the best superpower.
A level 1 noble with the Wealth talent can purchase this fucking monstrosity at character creation.

Then the first force enemy they run into turns it into slag because force powers.

I loved the gear customization in the splat books, from ships and droids to power armor with flamethrowers and shit.

Money is always the best Superpower, and verbally abusing opponents rather than "mind-tricking" them was fun.

I loved my astromech character, and passing along the nastier droid stuff to the GM to deal with our crazy Jedi players was great.

Stupid feat, really just better left to the GM and actual roleplaying.

Money is the best superpower because it can be used to make Rakatan weaponry (which you have no excuse to not use) into purely Exotic weapons, which you can get carte blanche to use through the Elite Trooper class.

Not the user you were replying to but it was the complete opposite for my group. They thought that the PCs needed nerfing so we agreed on some houseroules. Mostly equipment based to be honest. They still manage to come out as quite powerful with good teamwork and creative use of the dice. The lethality seems quite high on paper but in game it's more toned down. After a year of playing only 3 PCs died and I'm a cruel GM