Dawn of War III Interview

youtube.com/watch?v=h_QBkq1uMs4

So an interview addressing a lot of the popular concerns we have had with what they've shown so far.

Or at least that's what they think it was, because that "interview" sounded like a lot of bollocks to me.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qatd9xyp3Wo
youtube.com/watch?v=LOi3CzZjV0M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=Qatd9xyp3Wo

The other video this guy uploaded.

this game exists to rip the assets and import them into tabletop simulator

They wanted to make the visuals look like tabletop which is kind of cool I have to say and the gameplay stream from the mission they showed looked fun as hell, but I guess you are from /v/ and you will hate it anyway

Is it just me or does this interview mange to answer every question while not really answering it at all?

Like with the visuals they kind of sidestep it. Sure Space Marines do want to be seen, hence why they have bright color schemes and shit. But that doesn't excuse the fact that the marines look bloody pristine.

I mean you can still have a bright color scheme and still look gritty, take pic related for example (color is a bit muted, but I say my point still stands).

And don't even get me started on their justification for the terminator leaps. It's like those guys think we're still in 1st Edition or something.

>I mean you can still have a bright color scheme and still look gritty
I think that DoW 2 already managed to do that.

How does removing details that make them look like they are on a battlefield resemble anything like the Tabletop? Fact is that while the minatures can look that way, there is also the fact that this is a game bringing the setting to life. Sure you can make them more stylized, there is nothing wrong with that in of itself, but the reasons given to justify the lack of things that existed in the previous games don't really hold much water.

>the gameplay stream from the mission they showed looked fun as hell
Subjective, but okay, but even if "looked fun" that doesn't change the fact that the gameplay is radically different from what most people expected from a Dawn of War game. And the fact that they titled this "Dawn of War III" there is a certain expectation that it will be similar to the previous titles (most people wanted I but with II visuals, which is obviously not what we got).

Fun looking out not, it is clear that a lot of people watched it and were displeased because they didn't think it was the Dawn of War they wanted.

>using the "you're from /v/ argument"
Why thank you omniscient user, clearly your all knowing self is correct and I should just ignore every single issue that bothers me about the game and just use pre-order the hell out of it regardless of how it turns out to be. Because that is a smart as fuck way of looking at things.

Not really, DoW2 had brow colors all around and the gameplay was pretty much company or heroes
To be fair, he is using Tartarus which was made for locomotion and mobility, while the other terminators just smash things really hard Angelos can do his other stuff

>Most people wanted 1 but with 2 visuals
This is honestly it, same cover system as one, base building is also back and so forth, people are just complaining because the graphic style is not "muh grim and gritty"

Exactly, which is what bothers me so much. They nailed the aesthetic of the setting almost perfectly with Dawn of War 2. So I was hoping that they would up the scale a bit, and improve what was already a good graphics design with this iteration.

But instead it seems like they are deliberately taking a step back, and I can't say their reasons for it make much sense. Since this is supposedly early footage I'm hoping they will add more detail later on, but right now I can't say I'm very optimistic personally.

Especially them saying that people will somehow mistake assault terminators with regular tactical marines sounds like a somewhat flimsy excuse. I think the units stand out from one another enough as is.

>And the fact that they titled this "Dawn of War III" there is a certain expectation that it will be similar to the previous titles

DoW 1 and 2 had totally different gameplay. Why should they suddenly feel beholden to some notion of consistency that they obviously never cared about?

DoW 1 was a RTS while DoW 2 was some kind of strange proto Moba thing, this actually looks like a RTS like Warcraft 3 was

I mean in the second video they also talk about the removal of sync-kills and the dynamic movement system.

While the return of base building and such is nice, what's worrying isn't really the visual direction (which can easily be changed as time goes on) but rather the justifications they are giving for the changes.

I wasn't too worried about the game as others were, since I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say early footage is early.

But with this interview I can't help but worry about the direction they are taking this game. Since it doesn't sound like they are recreating Dawn of War I, but trying to appeal to people who aren't Dawn of War fans.

Personally I'm taking the "wait and see" approach, which is sad because this will the first time I won't play a DoW game on launch.

Radically different gameplay styles, but it was a clear experiment by Relic to see if more CoH style gameplay could work with DoW. And it did for the most part, and still maintained a lot of what made DoW I unique.

This is technically closer to the feeling of DoW I in terms of gameplay, but it is also removing a lot that made the series standout from other RTS games (besides the license of course).

>DoW 1 was a RTS
>basebuilding is RTS even in a setting and with factions that do not use such things ever
Fucking Halo Wars was shit but at least didn't shit on the lore of the factions involved to appeal to grognards' basebuilding fetish.

>Removal of sync-kills
I agree that this was not necessary but it would have been better if it was a feature that you could turn on and off but the reasoning they gave to responsiveness while makes sense still doesn't feel like something they should do
>Dynamic movement system
Only DoW 2 had that, DoW 1 didn't because it used the same cover system as 3, so I can see why

>and still maintained a lot of what made DoW I unique.
Are you crazy ? The large scale warfare was gone, the Custom loadlouts for squads too and gameplay was pretty much a tug war to see who could get nodes

>To be fair, he is using Tartarus which was made for locomotion and mobility, while the other terminators just smash things really hard Angelos can do his other stuff
no, he's using cataphractii, the least mobile of the terminator patterns

I am sorry that you can't play strategy games non, maybe mobas are more your type

The GW app said it was Tartarus so I don't know man

Okay, question here. The guy being interviewed keeps saying they want units to "stand out". But did anybody even have that issue?

I mean even for someone who was unfamilar with 40k would have been able to tell an assault marine from a tactical marine pretty easily. So I don't really understand why that's such a focus for them.

IMO Dawn of War 3 should have been the gameplay of Dawn of War 2, with the unit sizes of Dawn of War 1. You could even make it realistic to the fluff, like have space marines be OP as fuck, but you only get a small amount of them so they can get zerg'd to death to counter their nature as elite units. It'd satisfy fans of both games as people who like blob armies could play Guard, Orks, Tyranids, and Chaos Cultists.

Meanwhile fans of dawn of war 2's small elite unit gameplay could play Chaos and Loyalist Marines, Eldar, etc.

You could that this is the opposite of what everyone wants right ? The most popular mods are ultimate apocalypse and Firestorm because people want large scale battles, and it's impossible to do that with only one base and minimal resources

Yeah I recall them saying it was Tartarus too (just has cataphractii shoulders for some reason). But even then, while Tartarus does have more mobility, it still seems like a stretch for him to be doing the flips with it.

What I found weird was that the guy was talking (in response to that question) about how they as devs had to figure out how the space marines moved. Which is a bit of a weird thing to say when there are multiple games, vast amounts of literature, and the actual TT rule books with fluff describing how they worked in motion.

Just odd he would use that as a justification when we have a lot of other material describing quite thoroughly how hampering Terminator armor is to movement.

Ever since the footage of DoW III actually came out I've actually seen a bunch of people just asking for a remastered Soul Storm so that we can have Ultimate Apocalypse just with better assets and stability.

But yeah, the popularity of such mods show that people really want a large scale Dawn of War. But the devs seem to be using the larger scale as a justification for every change they are making. While I wouldn't go so far as to say they are lying about that, I do think they are being a bit disingenuous since I doubt that alone was responsible for so many of their decisions.

There is more to strategy than basebuilding.
I'd venture that basebuilding is simply one of the easier ways to make "strategy" in a video game, and is popular for that reason, a sacred cow people are too scared to slay.

So apparently they are using focus groups as a basis for a lot of their decisions?

I mean, not really unheard of obviously, but a bit weird since there were already two games in the series. You'd think they would rely less on focus groups when they already had an established playerbase to base their ideas on.

>established playerbase
To be fair, the games are already old as fuck and DoW 2 turned a lot of people away because it was not like DoW1

>no sync kills
>no Knight shoulder checking Wraithknights in-game

>shows an awesome scene of a Knight diving into a Wraithknight in the trailer
>can't recreate that in the game
>left with them just shooting at each other until one blows up

Yeah, that trailer really put our expectations too high for this one.

Also instead of completely removing sync-kills, couldn't they have just made it an option to turn off in multiplayer or something?

Large scale isn't something DOW handles well at all. People like UA but it's ultimately a fad with shit gameplay (all it is is a race to get enough resources and defend your base long enough to build a titan, then instantly win). There's zero meta to it and little balance either.

They did say that they are implementing sync kills in other ways, like the dreadnought punching units back and Angelos skills, so I bet that some skills will have different animations on certain enemies

>>ultimately a fad
A fad that has been going strong for 5 plus years, people find it fun dude and people want this, that is all that matters and it's not like Dow 1 was balance either

All I fucking care is

Did IG officially win Soul Storm?

Does Vance Stubbs ,Castor+Merrick+Berrn, OR Sturnn return in the IG expansion

Bonus points if all 3 generals return and each one has different play styles

Those are not sync kills, those are knockback attacks and they have been around since the first DoW.

And I'd rather lose control over my unit for it to do something awesome for a couple of seconds than have full control over it all the time and be boring all the time.

Plot twist

Its fucking Commissar Holt making a come back

True, but there was still a pretty big overlap, II didn't do badly at all sales wise and that was during a time where strategy games hit a bit of a low point (which has only gotten worse over the years).

Not to mention all the evidence that using focus groups isn't that good of an idea at all. So a lot of film studios (from what I hear) have been relying on them a lot less these days.

Those don't really sound like sync-kills, just the same kind of effects you would usually get when a large unit like a dreadnought hit smaller ones.

I somewhat understand their reasons, but what is the point of including a cool unit like a Wraithknight if I can't see it run it's sword through an orc or crush some marines in its hands?

Half the reason I even bothered to use an Avatar of Khaine in II was to see it kill (or be killed by) a Great Unclean One and get that sweet animation to play.

Which is a fucking horrible idea, because a small fanbase doesn't sustain a game or a company. You want to sell it to the crowd that plays strategy games, not 40k fans specifically. Making a game with shitty balance and titan creep (which is the same cancer KILLING tabletop mind you) is awful and will see the third entry die faster than either 1 or 2. If titans are added to Dawn of War, then Dawn of War needs to become something like Wargame: Red Dragon to accommodate the increase in scale.

>Stubbs
>Focuses on Ogyrns and baneblades

>Castor
>Focuses on Infantry and CQC combat with special support units and air drops

>Sturrn gets knights

what is that a clip from?

>putting the only man who managed to lose 100 Baneblades down the crack in his sofa in charge of them

Warhammer 40k Final Liberation

youtube.com/watch?v=LOi3CzZjV0M

Holts the OG video game Commissar

I would complain, but DoW II is pretty much the game I want, so I could just play that instead.
It's weird how everyone though the singleplayer was great and didn't like the multiplayer of that one though. Sure, I enjoyed the multiplayer, but in the end it's pretty much a generic action rpg while the multiplayer is pretty much unique imo. I guess it's due to "muh big battles".

a Warhammer 40'k apocalypse total war would make much more sense then this WC 3 with skins though.

* Sure, I enjoyed the multiplayer

Yo I am thinking if Gorgutz and Maccha are coming back.

Is that fucking penitence crusade they sent hairgel on almost done? Fucking Gabebecomes chapter master yet this guy gets fucked over

God fucking dammit
* Sure, I enjoyed the singleplayer

Both are coming back and they did say some core characters from previous games would be on the background with speaking role.
Fun fact: apparently it's Dobson brother that is voicing gabe this time, Brian

>Maccha coming back

How does it feel Veeky Forums your eldar waifu taldeer is DEAD

and due the eldar always getting shafted in DOW here soul gem was probally lost and shes getting fucked by slanneshi things as we speak

>not wanting Stubbs to find his baneblades

Probably. Fuck her and fuck Ulthwe. Bllody wankers ruined everything. Again.
There is only one way to make the Eldar Empire great again, and that's to swordwind the shit out of primitives until there aren't any left.

Good, maybe we can bury those memes and forget about it.

Taldeer was a cunt she was planning on double crossing Sturrn but the fucking Mon'keigh pulled his own eldar tactics on the bitch.

user you dont like

STHEEL REIN IN MY METAL BAWKEES

My body is ready!

Probably it wasn't the first time Sturnn had to fight alongside the Eldar.
>If Sturnn is still alive, why they sent Alexander to kill Taldeer instead?

Actually, in the Eldar Retribution campaign, Taldeer's brother rescues her sool jim from Daemon Prince Azariah.

WRAITHKNIGHT TALDEER MOTHERFUCKER!

Wouldn't she need a twin for that to happen?

>Wraithknight Taldeer

My CLANG senses are tingling

That's not how Wraithknights work.
WARLOCK TITAN TALDEER

Good riddance. Memes are a cancer and so is everything that spawns them.

Im still pissed IG are gonna be DLC

I hope we get proper expansion packs instead of generic faction DLC.

Interesting note from the mission stream they made, the dev let it slip that they 3 factions are fighting for the control of a spear, the spear or Russ maybe ?

>Blood Ravens are fighting to take another chapters treasured relic

This checks out.

I remember that the reason of the battle was for a weapon of mass destruction.

>implying the 'spear' of Russ is not a weapon of mass destruction
It would also explain what Macha is doing there.

If she can't fuck the Emperor, she can at least fuck his son.

>Blood Ravens
>fighting over a relic

I see Gabe still has the chapters intentions close to heart

So are Gabriel and Macha finally gonna fuck in this game? Or is that not cannon anymore?

>That's not how Wraithknights work.
living pilot + soul of a twin is actually how knights work

The thing about this is that the last time we had any news about it, the spear was throw into Magnus eye, so I bet 10 bucks that we will be banishing demon primarchs here

Starcraft and starcraft 2 say hi
Basebuilding and placement are just as important as marco, micro, scouting and everything else. You remove an aspect from a game, it becomes shallow unless you add depth somewhere else. Game design 101.

>DoW 2 turned a lot of people away because it was not like DoW1
I'm looking for dawn of war, not dawn of squad command. Give me an army, not a kill team.

>Did IG officially win Soul Storm?
Lost 100 baneblades, you tell me

Wasn't aware of this. 100% confirmed will not purchase game on launch. Maybe later, at discount.

Gabe and Taldeer already fucked

Why would a fucking space marine want to "interrogate" an eldar farseerer?

>the Spear of Russ
>looked for by a Chapter that's heavily implied (if not outright stated) to be Thousand Sons descendants
>instead of, you know, the Space Wolves themselves

Well to be honest that was probably Kyras not Gabe doing the raping. Macha has had a crush on Gabe since the first game and the subsequent novels and vice versa. This shit is gonna happen mark my words

So whats the secret fourth faction whos is the for real bad guy gonna be?
Chaos, Necrons, or Tyranids.
OR are they actually going full Starcraft and only doing 3 factions?

>Basebuilding and placement are just as important as marco, micro, scouting and everything else
That's like saying every shooter game needs to limit you to 2 weapons to create tactical gameplay; you are relying on a self-justifying loop that doesn't make actual sense.
>I'm looking for dawn of war, not dawn of squad command. Give me an army, not a kill team.
Except SM DO operate as they are shown in DoW2 for the most part, highly mobile, small squads that only dig in on the rare defense, as do Eldar and in some situations, CSM.
What you want is cookie cutter rts mechanics that have existed almost unchanged for 20 years, not something that is a 40k grounded game.

I hope there are no unit caps for some factions. Drown your enemies in bodies as Orks/IG

Basebuilding and placement IS macro.

Most likely imperial guard but it could be chaos.

Is space hulk deathwing ever coming out?

Nope.

And tech and resource management.

The last time they saw the spear it was on Magnus only eye

Obviously the Blood Angels are the bad guys and the Orks are the good guys, with the Eldar being dicks to all three sides(like always).

>Cyrus in full space marine
>ITS THE TYRANIDS

I don't use this word very often, it's often misused but wow.

Potato headed fucking shill

>A lot of people don't like the art style, I DO THOUGH
Space Marines don't wear camo, some are yellow, so that'as why we're moving away from muted colours to bright luminous nuclear greens, yellows and reds

>A lot of people don't like the models, I DON'T AGREE
We wanted them to walk in sync like drones because they're monks

>People are angry a Marine in a suit of Tactical Dreadnought armour can leap 30 feet into the air, spin his Thunder Hammer around like a parade baton is wrong... but I DON'T AGREE, 40K IS SILLY SO IT'S FINE
lol, well since the models are static, you can't tell how they move, and it's awesome if he jumps 30 feet in the air HAHAHA HA HA HA

>lol, well since the models are static, you can't tell how they move, and it's awesome if he jumps 30 feet in the air HAHAHA HA HA HA

You, my dear nameless, time-wasting internet dweller, have no business being on Veeky Forums if you take 40k as seriously as you seem to do.

Large-scale Horus Heresy RTS when?

>nameless, time-wasting internet dweller
So... you?
>have no business being on Veeky Forums if you take 40k as seriously as you seem to do
???

There's a difference between rejecting a product because it doesn't fit a specific vision held by a small group of people ("It's gotta be gritty and dark and angsty and there's no fun allowed"), and rejecting a product because it doesn't fit any incarnation of its source material in tone or style ("Please stop making the pastel-coloured walking tank do flips").

>It's gotta be gritty and dark and angsty and there's no fun allowed
This is 40K for the majority of people, they barely know second edition

Warhammer is silly, but it at least has some rules in-universe that should still be abide by. Yeah we got dumb things like people in power armor wearing power armor. But having a Terminator armored individual doing ridiclous flips five times his own height is still considered to be fucking stupid. Especially when we have an absolutely massive amount of materiel that these devs should be aware of that makes the nature of terminator armor pretty explicit.

If they wanted to make him a super strong yet mobile guy, they should have just given him a jetpack; with his new cybernetics visually obvious to see.

And using fanbase jokes as your proof of 40k silliness doesn't give what you say any credence. Internet interpretations, and actual adaptation of the material are two separate things.

Aslong as we dont get the fucking Iron Warriors being disgusted at orks for mistreating human slaves grimderp levels ill be fine

>Space Marines don't wear camo.
The Emperor's Warbringers, the Raptors, and several other chapters, would like a word with you.

You think I have a problem with the Pretty Memerens? or the Angry Memerens? Or most of Veeky Forumss oc donut 40k steel sillyness?

No.

Then again, when I'm playing my Dawn of War, of which has had two excellent installments and now I have to watch some dumbed down moba / we want the StarCraft audience decimate it. One of the Crimes being a Terminator Armoured Marine leaping into the air, as gracefully as a swooping hawk while flipping his Hammer around 5 times before slamming it down like they do in those chinese cartoons.

And when fans bring up this concern, in a way far more respectfully than I, first of all you get a bloated, sweaty giant headed man saying "40k is silly, so this is fine"

Then the Game Director says "Tabletop models are static, we don't know how they move, we want heroes to be epic for the win, so a Terminator jumping around like he has wings is awesome"

Relic clearly designed this game by committee,

>What's hot right now
Starcraft
>So we'll make the game like Starcraft

>What else is hot
Moba
>So we'll make our heroes ridiculous caricatures who do anime styled moves
should we get the same voice actor we've had for coming up to a decade?
>No, find someone cheap, in fact get Barry from accounts to do it

>What else is hot?
Bright garish loud colours, gritty is old and tired
>So we'll make the game look like everyone's wearing fluorescent paint

Yes I'm mad.

Warhammer isn't silly anymore. It's completely dead serious with all humor having its throat slit and left to die int he gutter clutching its copy of Rogue Trader several editions ago.

I work as a beekeeper and not once before this post did I hear this many buzzwords in one place.

Congratulations, I guess.

Starcraft hasn't been "hot" in quite a while now, for starters. And the age of brown n' bloom is also long past.

And if Gabe is winning gymastics gold medals in full Terminator armor, it's because GW (you know, the guys that write, and can choose to forget, the lore) said so.
"So we have Gabe jumping around in full Terminator armor. We'll make it so that he's wearing a possibly unique pattern that allows him to do so."

Or you can use the explanation they already gave: Gabe swings the Godsplitter and both are launched into the air.

And if it makes your autism feel better, you can most likely choose Gabe's equipment. You can choose not to have him wear the Terminator armor.

>not reading the Regimental Standard

>And if Gabe is winning gymastics gold medals in full Terminator armor, it's because GW (you know, the guys that write, and can choose to forget, the lore) said so
Harry Potter is now an 18-foot horse-cocked demi-gryphon dragon with 3 different wands which he dual wields, with one in the end of his cock.
JK Rowling said so, which makes it perfectly logical and canon. No one is allowed to say "Hey, wait a minute, that's fucking retarded" because JK Rowling said so.

>not reading the Regimental Standard
You mean the Regimental Standard that while very funny to read in third person, would be utterly horrifying in practice as it would make Commissars more evil than Nazis given they shoot men for simply asking questions?

Regimental Standard is only funny if you don't put thought into it. When you put thought into the fridge horror and realize those "reeducation" or "report to commissar" bits would result in a soldier getting his brains blown out, it becomes concentration camp humor.

good