EDH/Commander General

Just won't fucking die edition.

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kalemne-sitter-of-faces/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-the-intern/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-a-f-e-t-y-d-a-n-c-e-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/d-o-u-b-l-e-v-i-s-i-o-n/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-t-a-y-i-n-a-l-i-v-e/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-t-a-y-i-n-a-l-i-v-e-copy/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/g-r-a-n-d-m-a-g-u-s/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-t-a-l-k-i-n-g-h-e-a-d-s/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/n-o-t-e-a-s-y-b-e-i-n-g-g-r-e-e-n/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/m-u-s-h-r-o-o-m-s-a-m-b-a/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/f-r-e-e-z-e-f-r-a-m-e/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/k-n-i-g-h-t-r-i-d-e-r/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/d-a-n-c-i-n-g-i-n-t-h-e-d-a-r-k/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/o-c-e-a-n-a-v-e-n-u-e/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/v-a-n-i-l-l-a-i-c-e/
autocardanywhere.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Post 'em.

I run a Nath deck that is pretty fun, but honestly I could be in Mono-Green and the deck would barely change. If you want to be a little more combo heavy, Momir Vig is actually a really good option. Actually, I have seen a lot of elf commanders so I can just do the rundown for you:

Dwynen: Meh. She's not bad. but generic lords are actually not that amazing as commanders.

Eladamri: Also meh. The problem with him is that he shuts down a lot of your own cards. If he gave them hexproof he would be absurd.

Ezuri 1.0: The best Mono-Green elf commander, I personally don't like him as without the surprise factor he actually struggles to be cast and then live until your boardstate is finished, so he is basically a 9 mana overrun you can cast at your pleasure than a commander.

Kaysa: The best elf commander if we are in 1995.

Rhys the Exiled: this is a great commander if you want to splash black but you really want your deck to be 80-90% green.

Yeva: Not that popular as the commander, elves aren't exactly the kind of thing you want to be popping out at the ends of your opponents turns.

Edric: Actually good, but you are better off just running a non-tribal deck with him.

Ezuri 2.0: Pretty good, but remember that your lords can shut him down.

Momir Vig: Good and fun but the elves should be a subtheme, not the priority.

Nath: My commander, if you build him be warned: you will play him, it will table once, then when his ability triggers and the opponent tries to discard a card, you will tell him its at random, he will reread the card, and Nath will never survive to your next upkeep again. Having said that, he is really fun and you can either make him a discard commander or an elf commander that uses discard spells to make tokens. Also, Sadistic Hypnotist.

Rhys the Redeemed: Good, but much, much better as a tokens general than an elf tokens general.

Sevala: Fine for group hug but there are surprisingly few good white elves.

We need to find a replacement for magiccards.info, considering how outdated it is.

It has taken a few months to update before, the guy who runs it always pulls through in the end.

>Aetherling
That fucking asshole. Seriously it's just unkillable if you can't remove it multiple times a game. At first I was like "oh I have removal" and then my opponent just kept flickering it over and over again. It won't happen twice.

I don't think it's ever been this far back. It's still showing Khans and Fate Reforged as being Standard legal.

>yeva: elves aren't the kind of thing

Everything is the kind of thing you want to cast at instant speed

Instant speed is strictly better than sorcery speed

True. I think a big part of the problem is there is almost no contact info, and it seems like the guy doesn't take many volunteers. Several people have made clones of it, if they could just have access to that site and pool their efforts magiccards.info would be always up to date.

What I meant was you don't need to do it. I have run her in the 99 before, but I don't feel like its an ability that is worth taking the commander slot.

any good cards for dealing with getting your commander stolen in a xenagos deck? at the moment, the best i have is Chaos Warp and Zealous Conscripts, but that's really about it. getting a zealous conscripts seems completely random. i really wouldn't like to put in dumb cards like Brand, i'm already hurting for card advantage as is

My understanding is that he's literally maintaining the site by himself.

Gotcha

I disagree though, yeva elves is the funnest deck I've ever played for sure, and also, elves are prone to blowing their load all over the table and then getting board wiped, they recover well because of green recursion and card draw, but I say why even let them wipe your huge turn when you can make it happen at the end of theirs

Also Seedborn muse + yeva is amazing

Brooding Saurian. Homeward Path. Give your shit Hexproof.

Best way is to have homeward path and a suite of other utility lands so you can run crop rotation and not feel like crop ro is too situational

So amazing that they banned it.

Don't make him a creature? Not many things can steal xenagos as an enchantment, and if you run eldrazi scions as ramp, you'll have both chumps and ramp that doesn't count towards devotion. Avoid things like deus of calamity, even though it's very good because that's five devotion. Feldon of the Third Path can pull stuff without giving devotion, and you could always run asceticism to give all your creatures protection from that bullshit. Vexing Shusher and xanthid swarm also go very well in that deck.

posting boros voltron and orzhov enchantment faggotry

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kalemne-sitter-of-faces/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-the-intern/

i've been thinking of homeward path but i just can't be fucked to spend 5-8 bucks on a card like that

brooding saurian seems good, thanks.

i do avoid making him a creature, people in my group just play dumb shit like aura thief and steal enchantment. it's happened like 2 out of 5 games so far.

i guess i could just ignore the problem and just try to focus on beating face and goodstuffing to victory instead of filling my deck with dumb "but what if" cards

Meant that for you, replied wrong

Other utility lands that can go with homeward path are yavimaya hollow, nykthos, strip mine

>I need a card to hose a strategy that keeps getting used against me
>Meh, can't be fucked
Get out.

i literally just ordered 140 bucks worth of cards and don't feel like going through that shit again

i guess i could proxy it if it makes you feel any better

wave of vitrol, simplify, tribute to the wild

>proxy it

YOU IDIOT, DON'T TEMPT FATE LIKE THAT

Ah Fuck it, have some secret tech:
>have both overwhelming stampede and path breaker ibex
>run 6-8 basic land ramp cards, I recommend explosive vegetation, harrow, far wanderings and creatures that fish basics when they enter, sort of like sakura tribe elder
>garruk primal hunter and wildspeaker are your best friends
>brawn. Just get one.
>berserkers onslaught
>swarmborn giant
>lure and that one mana elf that does the same thing
>enlarge

This is really irritating. My Autocard anywhere is broken on this thread, and only this thread. It's working literally everywhere else.

refresh the page, worked for me

What do you think about Glissa, the Traitor?

Done that about five times. Even closed my browser and reopened it.

red elemental blast
pyroblast
avoid fate
autumn's veil
burnout

yeah i already run most of those cards with the exception of those planeswalkers (probably gonna pick them up at some point

>berserker's onslaught
is this really worth it? costs a lot and doesn't really do anything by itself. i feel like i'd rather have a big creature in my hand instead of this thing 9/10 times considering a xenagos deck is going to eat spot removal like crazy
>swarmborn giant
cheap, but pretty hard to keep on the board i'm guessing, and being at 4 on the mana curve is kind of pointless since he's probably gonna come after xenagos anyway. idk though. i like having big creatures that immediately do something the instant they hit the board. i'm pretty new to edh tho, and i haven't been playing with xenagos that long

Pick a list, I'll post a link for you to mock

>avoid fate
holy fuck this card is amazing

Saftey Dance please

For the curious, in order from top left:

Enchantress, Lifegain (being reworked below), Clones, Spells, No Spells, Gitrog

Saproling/Fungus Tribal Comboless, Winter Tribal, Knight Tribal, Unblockable Tribal, Ocean Tribal, rework of Lifegain deck with a bigger token theme.

I like my name for my Mizzix deck better.
GOODNESS GRACIOUS GREAT BALLS OF FIRE

It ain't good. My usual win condition is "nihilistic despair".

Double Vision please Mr.

greater good
birthing pod
gluttenous slime
gobbling ooze
momentous fall
ooze garden
Thelonite Monk
ashnod's altar
phyrexian altar

Mine's only got like... two Fireball spells. It needs a little loving because it's good at getting set up, and not great at clinching the games. But that's lower on my priority list, behind "finishing the Trostani rework", "Unfucking the unholy abomination that is Reaper King's manabase", and building Ghave and maybe one or two of the other in-progress decks.

Alternate names include

「 C L O N E H I G H 」

「 I W A N N A L O O K L I K E Y O U 」

「 I T H I N K I ' M A C L O N E N O W 」

She is a commander, and she is an elf. She is not an elf commander anymore than she is a zombie commander.

>naming decks after bands/songs

A man after my own heart

Not just bands/songs.

「 S T A N D S 」

Holy balls that's an expensive mana base.

Aristocrats or Stax?

???

Oh shit I missed that

I love you my man

It used to be worse. For about a month the manabase was literally one of each of these lands, all 10 fetches, all 10 shocks, all 10 duals, and then 5 "other" like Command Tower and shit.

Prophet was essentially Seedborn+Yeva.

Prophet of Kruphix. It was basically an all-colors Yeva stapled to a Seedborn Muse.

gA's pretty based like that.

I'm also hilariously bad at actually building the decks. Seriously, half of them are tribal.

Stax/Control I would say
And pic related for the ones not knowing about it yet. Pretty pumped

I'm starting to hit that with decks I want to build, but that's fine. It's EDH, not every deck has to be an all-star.

I don't mind losing, I just kinda worry that "loltribal" is the lazy route, I guess.

Oh, I thought you were saying Muse was banned, which is why I was confused.

Oh god, malestrom was reprinted in eternal and has new art!?

Nah, Muse is legal. Super Ultra Double Muse was banned.

Ah, fuck it.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-t-a-y-i-n-a-l-i-v-e/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-t-a-y-i-n-a-l-i-v-e-copy/ (this is the rework)

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/g-r-a-n-d-m-a-g-u-s/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-t-a-l-k-i-n-g-h-e-a-d-s/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/n-o-t-e-a-s-y-b-e-i-n-g-g-r-e-e-n/

IN PROGRESS

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/m-u-s-h-r-o-o-m-s-a-m-b-a/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/f-r-e-e-z-e-f-r-a-m-e/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/k-n-i-g-h-t-r-i-d-e-r/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/d-a-n-c-i-n-g-i-n-t-h-e-d-a-r-k/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/o-c-e-a-n-a-v-e-n-u-e/

JOKES

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/v-a-n-i-l-l-a-i-c-e/

I've actually been interested in something like this, but couldn't find anything on Greasyfork. Do you guys have a link?

autocardanywhere.com/

Is using Shu Yun that bad? I just want to abuse Prowess and "Whenever you cast a noncreature spell/instant or sorcery" effects and he is the only Jeskai commander that really supports that.

See xenagos is going to let you double the attack of whatever you have, and assuming you have a 4 mana beater, after xenagos and double strike you're swinging for 16 damage instead that also has first strike, which is better than 2 half decent beaters in my opinion. The reason it's good is because it gives your whole board double strike, and if something already has trample, you're basically forcing them to use removal. The way I built Xenagos centers around one shotting players quickly, and using ramp on a fast curve, hence why swarmborn is good. If you've already got xenagos he's a 12/12 beater for 4 mana. Overwhelming stampede gives everyone +6/+6 and trample. Sure he's fragile, but there are lots of things on green that can stop combat damage. I'm personally a fan of spore frog in my Meren deck. If you ramp hard enough, you can drop him and rancor together very early, and if your opponent isn't that fast, or has a shitty hand, they're in trouble.

Shu Yun's a pretty solid card, I love him. He just got a bad rap of being a meme usable for every kind of deck here for awhile.

He's not bad, but he functions a lot like a voltron deck that's a lot burstier and easier to disrupt. With a Voltron deck, a Fog might save me for a turn, but that fucker's still loaded with Swords and Auras for next go around. A Fog could effectively 'blank' an entire attempt at one-shotting with Shu Yun, and he has no native evasion.

You could absolutely build around him, just be aware of those weaknesses. Hell, go full fucking ham and use things like Defense Grid in a blue deck to fuck with people trying to undo your big turn. Or Grand Abolisher!

I'm already gonna do an elemental tribal with omnath so I'm not sure what to do with maelstrom wanderer.

Just do Maelstrom Wanderer. Cascade into big fat dumb shit. There's really no other way to build him that's not better with a different RUG commander.

Play secret commander with Omnath, put him and Animar in Maelstrom Wanderer and drop in a Rite of Replication.

>Koth's still fighting the good fight

Fucking nice.

So just make my elemental tribal with Maelstrom Wanderer at the head?

Build a scry/ordered card draw deck with whatever fatties you have. Hit the ramp button fairly hard, and abuse the shit out of cascade. I run a modified version and it's scary strong. Brutalizer Exarch, Top, cached dreams, and brainstorm are all absurd in that deck. Try to make a 6 turn clock to cast maelstrom and make it so when you do, the advantage is insurmountable, and you're just going to keep casting it every two turns until you win.

Yep. Toss in an Animar for more RUG fun.

Berserker's onslaught is not a great card and certainly not a good choice for a Xenagod deck

Maelstrom Wander plays like this:

1. RAMP
2. CAST, CASCADE CASCADE
3.?????????
4.PROFIT (or maybe not depends on what you get)
5. RECAST
6. ??????
7. REPEAT FROM 4

Can be very powerful even on a budget

?!?!!??!

Mise. Dipping into blue gives you a few neat elementals like the Drawfish, and you can still build a decent Omnath "core" with the extra "FUCK YOU" of a kicked Rite doing 90 fucking damage.

I can't imagine ever running that over Rage Reflection.

I know right

Shit blew my mind

Could have legacy and vintage implications

>Vanilla Ice
>if you kinda squint at the thumbnail, Jasmine kinda does look like Vanilla Ice the vampire

Also you should feel so fucking bad for what you've done with those creatures. God damn it gA.

REAPER KING WELCOMES IMPERIAL RECRUITER'S BROTHER INTO THE FOLD

So pretty much a kicked ROR makes 5 Omnaths that die immediately because of the legends rule?

Wouldn't that do only 25 damage then?

>rage reflection
Eh, one mana more expensive. Still very good, even on a budget. Anything cheaper mana wise to do the same thing?

Each Omnath will trigger for itself dying. That's 5.

Each Omnath will trigger for his 4 friends dying. That's another 20, which is 25 total.

Prime Omnath will trigger for each of the tokens dying. That's 30 triggers.

Oh shit that's right. I forgot that he triggers when other elementals die.

Nah, the only cheaper options are either narrow (Bonescythe Sliver, Kinsbaile Cavalier, etc) or temporary.

Right and rage reflection doesn't fit in many decks either

6 mana permanents that are mostly win more are hard to fit into decks

Certainly can't play the 5 mana strictly worse version

I mean, in decks without green a Rage Reflection can function sorta like an Overrun. You drop it and a board of mid-sized dudes turns a lot scarier.

True but they all get chump blocked, that's the beauty of trample

Anybody else excited for the all new, paradigm shifting Adriana, the Boros General that Wants you to Attack Other Players Until they Die?

Instant tutor for either Thalia, Imposing Sovereign, Ranger of Eos, holy shit wow

They all get chump blocked ONCE.

I was hoping to all holy fuck that she'd be W/B so I could have a more thematic Commander for my Knight deck. Oh well.

Sure and then you get board wiped and your 6 mana enchantment does literal nothing

Oh, are we playing a game of "Your card is bad because I'm going to engineer a situation where it's bad"?

looks like we'll have to hope for Kaladesh to toss Boros a bone

to be honest black lotus is pretty bad if someone counterspells it

Sure, but nobody's gonna extrapolate from that scenario to say "Black Lotus is a bad card because it will always be countered".

Every card is 'bad' in a situation where someone has the answer for it. Craterhoof is 'bad' if they have a Fog that turn, sure as fuck doesn't stop people from running Craterhoof.

Stand Aside Plebs, Superior Double Strike Enchantment coming through!

No im directly comparing it to similar cards

Overruns don't have the chump block problem or the board wipe problem (to the same extent, because you get all the damage you hoped to deal upfront, barring cyc rift or other instant speed wrath)

True conviction gains you like 30 life for 6 mana in the same scenario