Dropzone/Dropfleet Commander

Clever Sculpt edition
Dave talks battleships with BoW
youtube.com/watch?v=FDMAoqeOjGc

Initial topic of the thread; how do you expect dropfleet to update relative to dropzone? If new factions/races are released or introduced at a later date, which system will likely get them first?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/3e69ovwksc27r/DZC
dzc-ffor.com/
youtu.be/BE1QJ1q-r90?t=2m13s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Considering Dropzone has 5 factions and Dropfleet has 4, any new alien race or whatever would make sense in Dropfleet first. Your guys would see their navy before their army shows up.

>If new factions/races are released or introduced at a later date, which system will likely get them first?
Whichever is due for an update

I hope they do a subsystems breakdown in dropfleet like they did in the dropzone fluff book. Would like to know what some of the gribblies on the ships are. Especially wondering about the bits that have been painted green on the shaltari ships, they're clearly a crucial part of some sort.

Crew compartment

Personally, I can't wait to see how all their stuff is stored in a Shaltari mothership. Seeing all those vehicles infantry divisions lined up would be amazing.

Oh, right. That makes sense, especially as they're said to have fairly small crews.

Heh, I made a reaction image out of that dude too.

>that snaggle tooth
Shaltari a cute! Cute!

Quick, post your favorite DZC models

That is a nice colour scheme.

Agreed, but I think the white would probably look better as a grey, silver, or platinum, rather than pure white.

It's what made me fall for the shaltari. The fact there's plenty of variants is a huge bonus.

What's that? A super-heavy that has believable mechanisms to fit perfectly in a Condor? Yes please!

While I love 99% of this model, the one thing I absolutely LOATHE is that fucking joint between the two chasis.
Isn't the point of having two sets of treads so that they can turn independently? What's the point if they're forced to align with each other?
Unless there's some kind of pivot under the the front chasis that I can't see, that joint will always hinder this sculpt.

I think the pivot is so it can go over crests without snapping in half.

Would you even need a pivot? It's not like a tank turns like a car, you just run the tracks in opposite directions.

I do love my Giant Enemy Crab

Yes, but for the most part, normal tanks have a track width similar to their length; the ratio is usually around 1:2.

The broadsword, however, is like 1:3, or even 1:4. Turning is going to cause the flats of its treads to gouge out huge swathes of ground.

Bear in mind UCM treads are made of space-rubber not metal and the ground they're running on is space-concrete or space-tarmac or whatever.

So I dunno about tearing the ground up, you could leave some sick treadmarks though.

Fair point, and I suppose this problem could also be resolved by "lifting up" areas of tread not near the point of rotation.

In any case, I also dislike the hinge for just how it looks; far too bulky and simple and unarmored compared to the rest of the tank.
The rest of the model is pure sex, though.

Some of the Shaltari stuff is just the best

I like how the battleship somewhat evokes the shape of this thing.

>[thunderous bombardment intensifies]

Love em

The look

The rules

The feel (they have just enough weight to feel great in the hand)

So, I guess you don't like the front grabby-flaps either?

The what? Nope, I love literally every piece of that model except for the hinge.

The broadsword has little panels at the front that open up to provide the front arms of the condor something to hold on to. I'd have thought a practically minded user such as yourself woulove said something about load bearing and highest and whatnot.

*would've
*hinges
Jesus fuck I'm dumb.

Oh no, that actually sounds pretty cool. I don't know how strong those materials are (or how light the armor is), so it's entirely possible that it works for it.

What exactly do double tracks do? I've seen it on the Mammoth tank, the Overlord tank, the Scorpion, and I've wondered about that.

Better handling for a larger platform. Generallly though, the pairs of tracks (or at least the front) is mounted on a pivot.

>few years later
>Dave does alternate type B hull sculpts for the factions solely for the sake of fleet diversity
>tfw never ever

The pivot connector itself could be on two axles on either side, giving it lateral movement as well as its pivot. However, those tracks are too close together for it to be able to use that pivot to turn all that much more.

Which also makes little sense because tanks don't turn like that anyway, if stopped they run the treads in opposite directions and if moving they slow the treads on one side while maintaining speed on the other

Bump

Very very fond of this design

and what a sick effect this guy added

I don't play the game, so I can only hop e it's good. I also want to play as Eden's Dinosaur

How does DZC being 10mm scale translate into a ratio?

How many mm does 1 mm represent?

Sup /dzc/ new interested potential player here, coming from 40k. I think I'm gonna purchase a starter box and roll with Scourge as my main force. What are some interesting themes I could do for an army and still be competitive? Is it possible to have a lot of diverse army lists within the same faction or is the meta kinda of leaning towards specific builds? Also what size points to most people play at and how much money should I be expecting to drop to have that much stuff?

Also tell me cool stories about games you've played to get me hype

Thanks bros

There's probably an exact ratio somewhere, but a human sized figure is 10mm tall (actually IMO they're a bit smaller than proper 10mm figures, more like 8)

So assuming average human height is 1.7m a rough conversion factor would be something like 1/170 of actual size.

I think 1/175 would be a fair and clean ratio, thanks user.

Yeah, 170 was assuming the DZC models are true 10mm which I'm convinced they aren't.

Bump for "melt your fucking face off"

Hey, good to have you.

Rules:
mediafire.com/folder/3e69ovwksc27r/DZC

Free Army Builder:
dzc-ffor.com/

I'll leave the actual advice to other anons, but grab the rules if you haven't yet and play around with army lists. As far as scourge go, I think they're viable in most configurations, whether skimmer heavy, walker heavy or a nice mix.

Fuck, actually looking at the models, I understand what user a dozen threads back meant about the game's aesthetic.

The shaltari in particular are Art Deco as fuck

At GenCon, they said it was the flight deck.

Probably CD racks

Thanks! I'll give the rules a read through tonight.

I was wondering if anyone experienced playing scourge would be able to tell me if it's viable to run only razorworms for your infantry. I like most of the scourge vehicle models but the infantry not so much, besides the worms. Fluffwise they also seem scary as shit and the gunships that literally launch them into buildings are a fucking awesome concept.

Um, user. Look at this. Counts-as-Neptune PHR medium dropship.

The man has mental problems. We love him, but he needs help. He'll just have to make do with our money.

Speaking of Dropfleet, when do the starter sets release in the US? It's this month, right?

I wasn't part of the kickstarter unfortunately so I have to make do with buying whatever is available at retail.

>The man has mental problems.
Not least of all is the question of where that turbine leads.

Still, I'm very glad for people like Dave. Without them, the world would be a much worse place.

Great choice user, but this is the TRUE king of the gods.

>a command squad walks into the zone and fights the entire enemy army for two turns by itself

>after that, how could you not fall in love

Is that a... hot babe Scourge?

If I have sex with her, but the Scourge controlling her is a male, is it gay?

Is it gay to fuck your buddy if they shape change into a girl? That's the real question

Do Scourge even have genders?

Only if they change back

>Implying scourge parasites have genders

It doesn't play quite like you would want it to.

It is pretty soft as your commander, so you will want to have it skirt around the battlefield, avoiding danger. It is pretty good for blowing buildings apart, so it's not always a bad idea to have it wander over and knock down something the enemy wants to capture.

In late game, if your other pieces have been able to trim away enemy AA units, you can then have it waltz in with impunity, and use the area nuke. Risky, but so fun when you move it in and blast a city block with an ion storm.

My information is dated, but I might be of some help.

The issue with razorworms is that they cannot capture intel, and they are limited in the amount you can take, are quite expensive compared to standard infantry, and can only be taken in the specialized airship, or as passengers on heavy tanks, which are limited by your force composition guidelines. Also, for their points cost, they aren't going to bring the most bang for their buck, but they are fun and thematic.

Force organization requires that you take at least one unit of standard infantry. Warriors are your go to for this, as they are cheap. A unit of destroyers for an exotic slot, if you can afford it, make for a great occupying force. They are best for sending in to tie up enemy infantry (if you use them to look for intel, you are wasting their points that would be better spent murdering everything).

In short, if you have the points to squeeze in the airship and some razorworms, you can do that. But you need those warriors, and you wouldn't go wrong with a unit of destroyers, either. Look up how force organization works in that rulebook link the other user posted, to start getting an idea of how you can go about building your lists.

It's only gay if neural-protoplasm tocuhes

DZC tends to favor "all-comer" lists, and the construction tends to force towards a fairly diverse force, spamming a singular unit type tends to not fair well. That being said there are now quite a few different options for each faction which allow for a lot of diverse lists which will play fairly differently.

Coming from 40k the scourge are probably most like how one would envision dark eldar, they hit hard, and are fast, but if they get caught in a slugging match they tend to fair less well. They work optimally by stacking the odds in their favor, massing firepower where their opponent is weak, and moving quickly. They also have some of the best infantry in the game.

Finally a bit of advice for a former 40k player, as I have played DZC with a few former 40k players and have noticed this trend. It is ok not to shoot, No really its ok to not shoot. Dont judge units solely based on how much they can kill, being able to move fast and get in and get out, and being a good deterrent, or a good distraction are also great uses of a unit.

I think its vectored into several of the rear facing engines

How many commander-less Zeus can you take before it becomes cheese?

>The issue with razorworms is that they cannot capture intel, and they are limited in the amount you can take, are quite expensive compared to standard infantry, and can only be taken in the specialized airship, or as passengers on heavy tanks, which are limited by your force composition guidelines. Also, for their points cost, they aren't going to bring the most bang for their buck, but they are fun and thematic.

>Force organization requires that you take at least one unit of standard infantry. Warriors are your go to for this, as they are cheap. A unit of destroyers for an exotic slot, if you can afford it, make for a great occupying force. They are best for sending in to tie up enemy infantry (if you use them to look for intel, you are wasting their points that would be better spent murdering everything).

Ahhh alright, gotcha. Bit of a shame. Maybe the warriors will grow on me, and I guess I can always convert them a bit.

Oh, you're a race of intergalactic bugs with organic ships spewing plasma? Well, I'm a motherfucking human with a retrofitted schoolbus!

I like the "I just got back from murdering blue space cats" aesthetic

So why are there individual pdfs for each and every single unit?

There's no way to combine this info into a single source?

Also experimental units, they're legal or in testing phase or something?

In a 1500 pt clash game, you could have 4 Zeus (hardly cheese) if you bump up to 1700 pts you could swing 6 Zeus, still not really cheese, Thats roughly 1/3rd your points tied up in a single unit that can only be in one place at a time, and while its a brick shithouse of a unit, it has sub-optimal firepower for its point cost, and is slow. Your opponent can easily just ignore it and do something else. Unless they are shaltari in which case they can bring 1-2 ocelots and start popping your Zeus like so many ripe melons

Experimental units are always legal, the pdfs are gathered together in the most recent book expansion which has been released, IE phase 1, the next compilation will be in phase 2 which is not yet out. They are released as single pdfs because the experimental units are usually released in batches or one at a time as the rules are playtested rather than in a giant clump

Hokay

so main book, all that errata, phase 1 and the reference sheets are all I need, right?

From that angle you can see that the hinge allows vertical motion, for cresting. It also makes it not ridiculously difficult to tension the tracks and replace them because they aren't miles long. It can probably run with a damaged track, too.

Pretty much yep, although I was incorrect, they have released phase 2, I should note that it is not required though, unless you plan to use any of the units in it which you neednt do.

Please note that you would still be competitive even forgoing the phase 2 updates.

Is there anyone who can tell me what the 'weight of fire' rule of resistance typhoon is?

I love that thing. Rules seem fairly fun too, it either melts infantry or can have a go at the toughest tanks in the game (at close range).

Look what the postman brought me

You lucky ducky.

> Due to the sheer volume of fire, rounds from this weapon are able to punch through the defences provided by active countermeasures. This weapon may choose to reduce it's Sh value by 1 and increase its R(c) by 6". This may be done multiple times.

Has anyone been getting their dropfleet stuff?

There's package delivery at my door right now and it looks promising.

THOU LIEST

Fuck, it was just some Infinity stuff I forgot I ordered.

Well, this is fine too.

Longreach or regular Immortals? I have to say, sneaky robutt snipers sounds like a lot of fun and allows them to hit a more varied number of targets.

>There's no way to combine this info into a single source?
Read the books

Scan it

I'd say longreach, losing a little bit of CQC ability (which immortals aren't great at anyway) and the AA shot seems worth it.

Only problem is longreaches are a rare choice, but that shouldn't be a problem if you're just filling minimum troops requirements.

Not got access to a scanner right now, sorry.

Also to do a half decent scan I'd have to chop the book up and I don't really want to do that.

People just want something readable, not a nice scan. No need for cutting

Any highlights? Big changes in the story, units that are new (i.e. completely unseen, models not for sale yet), any hints on what the shaltari and PHR are actually up to in this war, that sort of thing. Oh, there's apparently a new special character for each faction, are any of them interesting? Cheers for any info.

Actually, that's a thought. Do we think they'll do special character ships in dropfleet?

I do realise the game doesn't have commanders like dropzone does, but still, they do seem to like doing special sculpts of certain units as chariots (as it were) for special characters.

Which on a spacecraft is another word for....

...definitely not crew compartment

Every time I see the resistance stuff, I can't help but think of the GLA.
youtu.be/BE1QJ1q-r90?t=2m13s

>captcha asks me to select all the bus's

I like their SCUD trucks

>Shall I push the button?

> Big changes in the story

A couple of surprises (spoilered just for courtesy):

Salakahn nukes Atlantia on Eden Prime causing massive casualties to UCM, Scourge, PHR and his own Resistance forces.
During the orbital cleanup operation over Shangri-La, a fuckoff huge PHR fleet arrives, smashes the picket fleet and begins landings.
The UCM wins the initial void battle over Olympus but with over 1000 vessels lost, orbital debris from the battle is delaying landings by months. The PHR army fighting around Olympus' capital is trapped in place with no apparent means of extraction.
The Resistance forces on Asgard, probably manipulated by the PHR, betray the UCM and attack their forces during the landing. Only one heavily damaged UCM lighter manages to escape. A commandeered pre-war yacht is found in orbit with a message from the ground saying some UCM forces are still alive but trapped.
The PHR have annexed and are fortifying the Tlalocan moons, potentially requiring a D-Day level invasion to dislodge.
A raid is planned against Europa to destroy Scourge water supplies in the Solar System.
Evidence is emerging that the infighting between Shaltari tribes isn't ritual or a from of competition. Two distinct 'sides' appear to exist consisting of several tribes.

Seems likely.

It's a good way to justify having certain units you can only take one of because they'd be game breaking otherwise.

So, what ship classes is everyone most eager to try out?

Personally I'm making sure there's an Achilles in my first game. I don't care if I have to skimp on frigates because of it, that thing is too cool not to use.

Want to bet the battle for Olympus is gonna be a big part of the DFC fluff?

>Read the books

Which books?

>Please note that you would still be competitive even forgoing the phase 2 updates.

I don't fully grasp the game at all yet, I was going to start by going to my LGS and seeing if anyone plays yet

and by local gamestore I mean one that is a three hour drive round trip, because the one a two hour long drive round trip only plays gay shit like that soccer game and magic

Fingers crossed

>and I guess I can always convert them a bit.
Man, the infantry are really fucking tiny. If you can convert them, good non you, but there is just enough detail able to be fit on them to let you know where to paint.

>Evidence is emerging that the infighting between Shaltari tribes isn't ritual or a from of competition. Two distinct 'sides' appear to exist consisting of several tribes.
Holy shit.

> units that are new (i.e. completely unseen, models not for sale yet)

Nothing like that, really. All that might come close is that all the special character unique vehicles are now available as regular unit variants.

> any hints on what the shaltari and PHR are actually up to in this war

Business as usual really, both sides continue to be dicks and harass UCM and Scourge forces. However the PHR have started committing more substantial forces and the Shaltari are still relatively heavily committed on Aaru

> new special character for each faction

> UCM: Col Samuel S Helburn
Basically Liam Neeson, mounted in a modified Phoenix, gets buffs to infantry and cheaper gunships but can't take most heavier units like Ferrums etc.

> Scourge: The Jungle Devil
Has a camoed, AA-buffed Oppressor, gives Infiltrate-18 to certain units in the army.

> PHR: Aurelia Felix
Mounted in a modified Poseidon which swaps its transport capacity for two E13 cannons. Lets you activate two battlegroups simultaneously once per game. Has cheaper dropships.

> Shaltari: Seti, the Kinslayer
Is a Heavy rather than Command choice, can be taken by Resistance and PHR as well. Uses a Firedrake with no gate but a bigger version of the gravity gun used by Tarantulas. Must fire every turn if possible, kills score double VPs.

> Resistance (Allied): Lt. Col. James Rodriguez
Looks like Idris Elba, uses a rare prewar aircraft with a bunch of missiles on it. Buffs Resistance fighters and veterans and can take MF-R teams as regular infantry choices, gets one free squad of MF-R.

>Resistance (Feral): Rakkon Krell, the Headhunter
Has a unique pre-war walker with giant claws, gives you 3 extra command cards per turn. Uses both Feral and Allied command cards.

>> PHR: Aurelia Felix
>Mounted in a modified Poseidon which swaps its transport capacity for two E13 cannons. Lets you activate two battlegroups simultaneously once per game. Has cheaper dropships.
>two e13 cannons
Holy shit