/swg/ - Biblefight Edition

Post about X-Wing, Armada, FFG's Star Wars RPGs, d6, d20 (Saga), movies, shows, books, comics, vidya, lego, lore and everything else Star Wars related

Previous Thread: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZkpXpbJ1

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Also ARC-170 hype

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blizzard_Force
twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/764959709031862272
twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/status/765218215123267585
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Blizzard Force

I got X-Wing a couple days ago and just played a couple games with my buddy, we both loved it, where do I go from here? Is it worth buying more ships, and if so, what ships would you recommend?

Did someone say, canon?

Depends upon what you want to do! It is definitely worth buying more shops, but ideally you want to make sure you and your buddy both have equal points. Standard games are 100pts.

One option you could go with, is to get a second starter set, one for each. And either split the factions or just keep your own stuff. You preferably each want 6 of each color dice, unless you're hell-bent on sharing.

Otherwise, just pick ships you like and add them to your collection. Interceptors are fun for Imperials, but ideall you want both the single blister and Aces pack (2 interceptors. Likewise A-Wings and B-Wings are a blast for Rebels, but they ideally would have the Aces pack and individual blisters as well. Big ships are fun, like the Falcon or Decimator.

Worth noting is the game's 3rd faction, Scum and Villainy. They're mostly bounty hunters, mandalorians, crime syndicates, Black Sun, etc. The best way to start up Scum ships is to buy Most Wanted (effectively the Scum starter set), and add on from there. They get some cross-over stuff like Y-Wings, HWK-290s, Z-95s, and Firesprays. So this makes it advantageous if you buy into the Most Wanted pack after you have some of those ships.

Yes it is worth buying more ships. Every single ship is viable at a casual level, and almost everything is viable competitively so buy whatever you like the look of next.

If money is tight, the falcon and Ghost are very efficient ways to boost points for the rebels, and the Decimator does the same for the imperials.

Also, the K-wing has two TLTs in it, FYI. Good cards for pretty much anyone.

The blue core set
The Ghost expansion
Imperial Veterans
The regular TIE expansion (Howlrunner = best girl, and it's fun for low point games since night beast and dark curse both have really fun abilities), also consider the TIE/sf expansion, it's very self-contained if you have the blue core set so you'll get a very competitive omega leader in one buy
and Imperial Aces, if you don't mind printing out autothrusters or are willing to buy the starviper too

I think you mean the TIE/fo, instead of the TIE/sf m8.

Separatist Remnants in Armada when?

Ok, so guys I'm going to be running a game of Force and Destiny here soon and I'm kinda new to GMing on the whole so I wanted some advice.

If I wanted the PCs to have their own Mentor Character would it better to have them as an NPC rated as a Nemesis or to just make it a GM PC?

I don't want the Mentor to be around for too long since they're probably going to have an Obi-wan Death like moment with this guy so I'm not sure if I should build the character as a PC for that reason.

Also, because I've been trying for a bit and am feeling pretty dumb, how the heck do I get the Oggdude character generator to read the filled out Databases?

Since everybody else has given good suggestions, I might as well suggest ships not to get if you're just starting out.

> TIE Advanced expansion

Vader is cool, but the ship was massively underpowered until some upgrade cards were released in a newer set. If you're really determined to fly Vader and friends, make sure to get the TIE X/1 and Advanced Targeting Computer cards or it will be very underwhelming.

> Lambda Class Shuttle expansion

The Shuttle is good, but very hard to fly thanks to its large base, terrible ship dial, and lack of auxillary arc or turret. I would only recommend it once you've got a good amount of practice playing.

> TIE Defender expansion

The new Imperial Veterans set includes upgrades that are practically mandatory, so if you want to fly a Defender it's better to just buy that first and then buy the original Defender if you want more.

> Any epic ship (Tantive IV, Rebel Transport...)

These ships are useless in normal play and are only usable in Epic games. Until you have a large collection of ships to play Epic with, they'll be just cool-looking paperweights.

What the fuck is that landscape doing? Where the fuck is the battle? Why the fuck is everyone just waddling in their own direction?

This shit right here is why the Rebels won, trooper.

>Worth noting is the game's 3rd faction, Scum and Villainy
Does this make it a 3 player game or is it still 2 players?

>I thought killing the Thrawn trilogy was the worst they could do.
>Now they are going to bring him back...in that fucking awful kids show on Cartoon Network

It wasn't bad enough that they killed him. Now they're gone by to rape his corpse. Nothing that made those characters great is going to be able to be done on that kids show, so they're just going to be one dimensional cartoon villains.

You can run as many players as you've got. Sure it'll be a epic clusterfuck but it'll be fun. I once played in a 4-way fuck-up match with Rebs-vs-Imps-vs-Imp"defectors"-vs-S&VMercs. fun as hell but it took a bit of time and we used a bigger a bigger than normal play area. Tourney play is only 2-player though

Still two players. Even though the core set is Rebels vs Imperials, there's no restriction on which faction each player uses. You can have Rebels vs Imperials, Rebels vs Rebels, Rebels vs Scum, Imperials vs Imperials, and Imperials vs Scum.

Scum are just an extra faction for people who want to play something other than Rebels and Imperials. Because they're not included in the core set, most people tend to only start buying Scum stuff after they've bought a lot of stuff for Rebels or Imperials, especially since the Most Wanted set allows you to play certain Rebel and Imperial ships as Scum ships.

I don't really care about his appearance in Rebels since I haven't watched the show.

But this...this has me optimistic.

Rebels has had issues, but its portrayal of Darth Vader and especially Darth Maul has been fantastic. If Thrawn is given as much care as them, he'll be good.

Is it safe to say there will be a Thrawn crew card?

It's not a matter of if but when at this point. He's definitely guaranteed for Armada, and he's a popular enough character I could easily see him showing up in X-Wing too.

I'd sooner see him make it into Armada. Sadly he's missed the boat to get included in the Interdictor, but hey, they're gonna get round to doing an SSD for that sooner or later.

I could see him being released in another no-plastic expansion like the upcoming one, along with a Chimaera title.

>I never noticed that Thrawn and Zahn rhymed until just now

I hope he brings back Pelleaeon (or whatever) back. That was the only Imperial character that was admirable and sympathetic, and also genuinely believed in the Empire. Even when he realized the Empire just a headless tool used by force users, he made the Empire into what he had always believed it was. Although I guess that didn't happen until well after the Thrawn trilogy.

I'm just gonna hijack your post because I also have an X-Wing related question. I just bought a set today and my friend is coming over tonight to play. I see the point value on the commander cards, and on the upgrade cards, but where is the point value on the actual ships? I know that ships have a base point value, but I can't find the gosh darn things. The set recommends playing at 36 points/side for the base game, but I can't find the gosh diddly numbers to add up.

The cost on the pilot card IS the ship's cost.

Seems too small. I guess I really misunderstood the size of the game, thanks.

Just bought a Jumpmater 5000 and a Starviper as my first S&V ships. They were on sale at a Barnes and Nobles, I got both of them together for $30.

Should I try to get another S&V ship or should I just use upgrades to get those two to 100 points?

HWK-290 is a great addition to that squadron. Palob, Guri and Manaroo have some nice synergies

FYI I'm pretty sure Blizzard Force isn't canon anymore.

So with Sabine's TIE does that mean I can use the pilot cards that come with that with regular TIEs? Could I have an army of Rebel TIEs now?

the most wanted pack is pretty much a must have for scum. z95s and the ywing are good workhorse ships and its where you get the scum pilots for the hwk 290 and firespray.

no. sabines tie expansion comes with its own all unique pilots. Rebels can run a few ties at once. but only imperials can do a proper tie swarm.

It really isn't too small. Standard game size is 100 points. With 100 points, you can get 8 bare-bones Academy Pilot TIE Fighters at 12pts a piece, and still have 4 points to spare. But the vast majority of fighters and pilots cost much more than that, and you'll become quickly aware of limitations while list building. A 36pt recommendation for the starter allows you to pick whatever pilot(s) you want, and still have some room left over for upgrades (if you so desire).

N O T L E G E N D S

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blizzard_Force

The way Special Ops Training is worded is really weird. If you don't fire out of your primary arc do you get 2 auxiliary shots?

>Sources
>Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know

That was the book which still had Bevel Lemelisk as the Death Star designer.

You choose between an extra die at the front or an extra attack through the rear. It says 'additional' in the case of things like Quickdraw's ability.

So you are saying yes I get 2 attacks if I don't attack from the front?

No, the rear is an Auxiliary arc, not primary. You HAVE to make an attack with the front one to activate the ability.

OK thanks

>Published 2015

>Bevel Lemelisk (Indirect mention only; Legends reference)

An offhand reference does not discount other information in a current canon published book

Why are we even arguing about this?

I'm just saying that was the book which just randomly copy-pasted Wookieepedia entries as trivia.

twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/764959709031862272

twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/status/765218215123267585

Well that's kind of a bummer. Bevel Lemelisk being repeatedly cloned and killed and then being forced to make a budget Death Star was the good part of Darksaber.

There was nothing good about Darksaber.

NOTHING. ; ;

No as in using the pilot cards from Sabine's Tie Pack with Regular Tie Models

oh yeah that's fine. a tie fighter is a tie fighter. paintjob doesn't matter.

needs the correct base though

you get one for each pilot card anyway so that's a non issue.

just got imperial vets and want to give it a spin.

hows this look for a list
Rexler Brath — TIE Defender 37
Veteran Instincts 1
Tractor Beam 1
Stealth Device 3
TIE/D 0
Ship Total: 42

"Omega Ace" — TIE/fo Fighter 20
Expose 4
Comm Relay 3
Ship Total: 27

Tomax Bren — TIE Bomber 24
Cool Hand 1
Fleet Officer 3
Systems Officer 2
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II 1
TIE Shuttle 0
Ship Total: 31

I've never played a Star Wars RPG.
That said, is there one which allows force-sensitive gunslingers as characters? Not Jedi, just force powers + gun.

I mean, you could probably just use Edge of of the Empire for that. Make a gunslinger smuggler or something that's force sensitive.

Star Wars d6 has a basic Force power that lets you add dice to most anything you try to do. Including gunslinging.

This , or pic related.

>tfw no black N-1

It's probably the only ship that looks good blacked out.

Why no juke on omega leader it's p much made 4 him

Oh wait I'm a retard and can't read, still omega ace is gonna want his actions for focus instead of exposing hinself

>Serve for 40 years
>Fight in the First and Second Galactic Civil Wars, the Yuuzang Vong Wars and Thrawn's Campaigns
>Narrowly survive several decisive battles in galactic history but always bounces back

Is there any better shipfu?

Madine deserved better than this crap.

The budget Death Star wasn't even a viable threat; when the New Republic shows up to fight it, it can't fire its superlaser and gets pulverized by asteroids trying to escape.

I've said this before, but darksaber is positively crying out to be rewritten as a comedy, probably starring wrath squadron

Fuck, I hated the Vong arc.

Anyway, The Imperial Classes were what made me love the Empire as a kid.

It's honestly better just to read what happened in the Vong arc on wookiepedia or whatever, rather than reading 10-something books of eh-quality
A lot of EU events that drag on usually end up extremely meh and should only be read if you really like the settings and characters -that- much

And yeah the Empire is cool as shit, it's just a shame so many of the characters fall into evil-dictator trappings. I really liked Thrawn and Pellaeon and to an extent Daala. There's something about the militaristic pride for it that it really enjoyable.

I like the Executor class

>There's something about the militaristic pride for it that it really enjoyable.

That's exactly how I feel!

First Armada Night since wave 3 and 4 hit shelves. Won with my dumb idea of a list! Mon Karren armed to the teeth with upgrades and 4 transports dedicated to moving squadrons and repairing the MC80. With bomber command center and Toryn Farr, the B-Wings are absolutely destructive. Not to mention Fighter Coordination Team helps SO MUCH in compensating for their pathetic 2 speed.

both faction aces are good and pick up the blue starter for more dice and templates. Then you will want the tie/fo blister pack for the best tie fighter in game (Omega leader and everything to make him great). Then just build what you like to fly. Avoid epic ships like the tantive or the assault carrier until later because its not worth the expense at this time for you

>All those rebel transports

Aren't those things unarmed? What are they, fire ships?

I actually picked up the blue starter because it was the only one my LGS has, I'll look into getting the red starter as well then. Sounds like Red Starter + Blue Starter + Rebel Aces + Imperial Aces is a more or less complete package to really start playing the game.

They have some ion cannons and decent shields. Some were even in the Battle of Endor.
I'm not sure what they have in Armada, though.

>GR-75
>Weapons of any kind.

That's just adorable.

The 24 point variant has blue dice attacks out the front and blue dice anti squadron. The 18 point variant (as pictured in that game of Armada) has no attacks other than a black anti squadron. All of mine are unarmed transports that serve no purpose outside of commanding my squadrons and repairing the big ass gun that is the Mon Karren.

I think it'd be cooler if they were fire ships.

Who doesn't love the idea of packing a transport full of explosives and driving it straight at a star destroyer?

With rebel aces you get your feet wet with interceptors and ordinance. From there you can determine your play style

I hear lots of bad stuff about Darksaber, but I liked the part about imperial unification. Why is that part bad?

WAVE 9 WHEN

I NEED MY PROTECTORATE STARFIGHTERS JESUS BUTTFUCKING CHRIST

Some people I play with got them at gencon. They should be out in a month or so

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I'm glad we agree user! I'm not even a dude in heavy support of the military but I really find characters who serve because it's a family tradition or because they really believe in the institution are really endearing characters, it's a trope that hasn't been beaten to death and is harder to pull off than the Monomyth like Luke's story

so tomax bren can reuse discsrding EPTs. is there anything actually stopping him from potentially lightning reflexs every turn?

Nope! Give him Tie Mk 2 Ion and plug in a green maneuver, and he can even do it while shedding the previous turn's stress and activating Systems Officer. You won't get any actions on the turn you Lightning Reflexes, but fuck it you have unlimited K-Loops on the dime.

Nope!

The people/droids that are piloting it.

Complete side note, Crackshot's pretty gold as far as 1-pointers go, and Vet Instincts is always a solid one if your PS is 6 or higher... But having used Lightning Reflexes, it is a seriously underrated card for generics with EPTs.

just program the droids not too care.
it's not like they have rights or anything.

huh interesting.

i was thinking putting a tactician and marajade on it for a fat knife fighting stressbot. good plan?

Both of those only apply if the target doesn't already have a stress token though, so against PTL ships they do nothing. Rebel Captive on the other hand will stack stress. What about Intelligence Agent or Navigator?

Tactician doesn't. You can use it stress a target that already has stress.

Oh, giggidy. I think I was confusing it with the Flechette Cannon.

IIRC someone in the last thread calculated that the size of a Victory star destroyer in X-Wing miniatures scale would be ~ 8 feet long.

How long would an Executor be in X-Wing mini scale?

September 21st, according to my LGS.

Quick google and calculator runthrough shows roughly 56 yards (51 and a bit metres).

I could think of worse things to pilot into a combat zone, but there's not many

I can't wait for Dr Eggthrawn

>Ezra fires his slingshot, a stormtrooper pratfalls over a railing with a Wilhelm scream, Chopper makes a funny gesture
>The Ghost oneshots an ISD, Thrawn shakes his fist and shouts I HATE THOSE REBELS
>le sassy mandalorian cosplayer makes a quip

I'd unironically love something with this tone.

With different characters, though.

Rebels has the same issue all the cartoons have which is everything is out of scale. Not just appearance wise just like. People soloing AT-ATs and Stormtroopers firing around stationary targets and people leaping 8 feet onto a TIE fighter.

The only way I stay sane is saying "this is retelling of these events decades after the fact" because there's no way Erza cut through the hull of an ISD and climbed through it.

I also consider the FFG art of the characters to be how they "really" look as opposed to the god awful dolls they are in the show.

Poor Thrawn looks like Handsome Squidward.

the issue with the whole "everything is either canon or not" means that stuff that used to be D canon like Pic Related is now Canon. Meaning that Rebels has equal standing as a novel written for adults or a film.

How is it that we have what, 20 FFG books and still no stats for the beast of a weapon that is the Concussion Rifle?

In most RPGs they always say "award extra XP for good roleplaying" but does anyone actually do this? I understand on paper how this works but it seems hard to balance party progression when the person who did drama in high school is getting more XP than the guy who just likes playing the game and hanging out.