/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Drafting and multiplayer edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=o:" Y "&v=card&s=cname
whymtgcardsmith.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like the design, user. Do one for each color pair!

Responding to grumps, since I wasn't around for most of the last thread.

I repost designs all the time. For someone who is supposedly grumpy, you were incredibly positive about my cards.

Delve wasn't in Sultai until Khans came out. That card came before. I also like it in red, it is all about forgetting the past to focus on the now. It burns cards in graveyards to make fire, why not dudes?

Murderous Cut didn't exist when I designed Organ Trade. Okay, Guardian Zealot is too good? That is surprising.

White's DD was based on similar cards in hybrid R/W, like Reckoner.

Not fixing the mana cost! No fucks! Colorless hybrid ruuuules.

Anyway, Delve makes sense to me in all colors. Kind of like convoke, exalted or landfall. Having cards in graveyards or attacking alone or playing lands doesn't FEEL like one color to me, everyone does it.

I originally envisioned it was Grixis though. With Harvest Pyre and similar.

I realized it wouldn't make much sense to have an enchantment on the field that did nothing after its ETB counters were used up.

Designing some colorless spells.

Rest in peace Æ.

Acceptable. May I ask why the noncreature mention on white? I know Jeskai did it, but I am curious if there was any other reason.

Not a fan of that wording. Why not:

Exile all permanents with converted mana cost 6 or greater. Exile all permanents with converted mana cost between X and 6.

Or something.

Is "causes a creature to die" really a thing in MTG?

Sorcery/instant matters block.

;_;

Why not the wording I have currently?

>Exile all permanents with converted mana cost 6 or greater. Exile all permanents with converted mana cost between X and 6.
That exiles everything. What the card does currently is exile everything above a CMC threshold which decreases with X, exiling more things as X increases.

Just curious here, how many cards use Y?

"Causes creature to die", currently, no. But I couldn't really find a way to word it better.

I'm not exactly sure. I've been trying to figure out, but it's not that easy to search, you know?

I searched " Y " on Gatherer and only found five results, four of which dealing with +-X/Y (like in Ingester) and one of which is an Un-card. I'd find a way to do it without the Y.

>Just curious here, how many cards use Y?

magiccards.info/query?q=o:" Y "&v=card&s=cname

Four, plus one un-card.

Too slow,,,,, kid......

I literally spent about 2 minutes trying to grok it. I mean, I get it, but yeah.

Why not "Exile all permanents with converted mana cost greater than or equal to 6-X". No precedent, but it seems more intuitive.

Plus and minus are spelled out, but that's generally how it works for things that use X where X is not exactly X.
Check cards like Galvanic Bombardment.
Still probably a little more math than anyone wants, but it works.

I'm sorry that it took you that long to understand. Also I've used your wording. Thanks for your help.

Unsure if this should cost 4 or 3, but I'm going with 4 to be cautious.

Cost it 4 to be safe

Amazing.

So, you created an incredibly narrow card that either says "your opponent can not cast spells" or "your opponent is somewhat inconvenienced".

Do you not get how that may not be a good design?

Thank you for your advice user. It was very helpful.

>So, you created an incredibly narrow card that either says "your opponent can not cast spells" or "your opponent is somewhat inconvenienced".
Essentially. I was very hesitant about this card, and your reaction proves that it probably shouldn't be a thing.

This makes some card text wonky.

Of course. That card might also not work with other cards.

>that flavor text
I am enlightened by my own intelligence.... It's also just a Counterspell for the most part, which is fine.

That's what I was worried about. Any way to make it non-wonky?

>It's also just a Counterspell for the most part, which is fine.
>which is fine
Well, not really. Wizards has shifted to Cancel's 1UU for unconditional counters and only cost-reduced counter spells to UU for specific conditions.

Use Ink-Tread and friends for guidance. Cut down on clauses to simplify it (only spells, only target permanents, etc).

This is basically how I went about making a card that hands out Overload. I have some theories on making a 100% accurate version of the concept, but they get wordy and strange fast. And I'm talking "terminology used in the comp rules but never on a Magic card" strange.

It's a bit more wordy now, but at least it works.

I had thought that this makes it work?

Why not make it "blah blah blah pays {1}{2/U}."

Or just 2/U2/U

Mostly, but that just forces stuff to blow up in your face. Think about it. Lava Spike hits every opponent now, but it also hits you. Tragic Slip will kill all your opponents' creatures, as well as your own. That's why Billy looks at who controls the target. With him, Tragic Slip only fucks up an opponent's creatures, not your own.

Useful when used on an opponents tragic slip though.

This was mostly my reasoning, just because it seems more red to take that risk while also being able to do the same to your opponent. I think the way you have it is more blue (less risk, less reward) while this version is pure monored. Anyways imagine maximizing an expedite with every player having 3 or 4 creatures. Seems pretty gravy to me.

But all you do is create an "Everyone loses" scenario. In the case of Tragic Slip, you might as well just reprint Wrath of God. I mean, the only way to get ahead with this by using burn is to have more life than everyone else, and/or having a bunch of creatures that can't be targeted or destroyed by your spells. Both of these things are going to be difficult to accomplish in mR.

I don't think so. It just takes a bit of thinking differently.
Maximizing a shatter in monored is great against an artifact deck. Maximized expedite is a great way to draw a ton. If you're playing monored, you're probably playing only Mountains, so maximizing a lava blister probably wins you the game immediately. If you're playing pure burn, then maximizing a lightning bolt kills all of your opponents little creatures and deals 3 damage to each of you (probably still wouldn't play it in burn though). In multicolor, maximizing a doom blade kills all of your opponents creatures and leaves all of your black/black and red creatures alive, and maximizing a lightning helix results in a ton of life gain for you. Maximizing an opponents blue suns zenith seems pretty good, and maximizing one of their kill spells results in advantage as long as you have less creatures on board then they do (preferably only the creature they're trying to kill).

It's not like it's a really good card, but it has a lot of strategic complexity to it.

Why am I doing this to myself? Why am I so obsessed with restarting the game like this?

Also if you maximize a spell you control that can only target an opponents creature, then that spell will fizzle on resolution when it tries to hit one of your creatures (From inktreader nephilims rulings(it works the same way with opponents spells be careful)). Also, act of treason untaps all of your creatures and gives them haste, as well as stealing all of your opponents when maximized.

Why not just use karns restart the game wording leaving and then the world ended in exile?

oh okay and leaving other cards exiled with it in exile. There's already precedent, so you don't have to hurt yourself like this. We don't want to see you in this pain any more man.

>Also if you maximize a spell you control that can only target an opponents creature, then that spell will fizzle on resolution when it tries to hit one of your creatures
First off, no, those spells wouldn't fizzle, they wouldn't be created in the first place, since the effect only creates copies for permanents or players the spell could target. Second, I find it oddly amusing that the best cards to use with this Overload-inspired card are cards with Overload.

Oh wait, I misunderstood the card completely. I thought it was an enchantment that stuck around and triggered for all spells with single targets.

All you did was make an already-existing card. Sorry about the confusion.

Huh, neat.
>First off, no, those spells wouldn't fizzle, they wouldn't be created in the first place, since the effect only creates copies for permanents or players the spell could target.
Technically they would, since it's using the nephilim wording that doesn't specify it copying for spells it targets, but now that I see radiate is a thing, I'm probably going to rework this card.
>All you did was make an already-existing card. Sorry about the confusion.
Don't worry about it. I had no idea that Radiate was a card. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
>I thought it was an enchantment that stuck around and triggered for all spells with single targets.
This does sound really interesting though. I'll probably make it something like this.

>for spells it targets
*for spells it could target

Nvm, that's not why that happens. It works with nephilim cause it just copies for your creatures regardless, so yeah they wouldn't be copied.

Ugh, I know why I'm doing this, complexity addiction. I'll probably just model it like Karn though, yeah. The other time I tried doing something like this was Retroactive Continuity, but that was basically a Timetwister that also returned exiled cards, except ones called Retroactive Continuity, which then exiled itself. Now that I've had some time away from that card, I'll probably do a Praetor's Counsel effect. Gotta put that awesome Alex Ross Crisis on Infinite Earths art (Google it) onto something.

>Don't worry about it. I had no idea that Radiate was a card. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Well, I just wish I'd noticed it the first time. Glad I looked back at it and noticed the type though. And this is just one more reason why people should use Oracle as often as they can.
>This does sound really interesting though. I'll probably make it something like this.
Well, my hypothetical ideas that I never put to paper involved the term "object" which is "an ability on the stack, a card, a copy of a card, a token, a spell, a permanent, or an emblem." So it would even be able to copy spells that didn't even look at permanents or players, like Vile Rebirth, which exiles a creature card from a graveyard. But again, just going through it in my head made me realize how ridiculously complex and confusing that could get.

>Alex Ross Crisis on Infinite Earths art
I have no idea what's going on there, but it looks cool.
>"object"
Based on how wizards just made "create" a thing for tokens, I'm hoping that they'll go in a direction like object. It would probably be really useful.

I'm not sure how to cost the radiate permanent. I was thinking it would be 4 cost as an enchantment or 3 cost as a 2/2 creature, but I'm not sure those are right since I undercosted maximize by 2 (compared to radiate). Do you think it should be a creature or an enchantment, and do you think those costs are right?

>"object'
Yeesh, I hope they don't. The sheer number of things it can refer to is... intimidating.

>Costs
No idea. Hey... what might be interesting is making a variant that works similarly to Billy with a trigger asking for a mana cost, but instead anyone can pay it, and it will only copy if the spell that player controls targets something of one of his or her opponents. Overload for everyone!

>I have no idea what's going on there, but it looks cool.
Flash runs along the bottom as he tragically dies while saving what remains of the multiverse from the Anti-Monitor. His speed is so great, that he travels to random locations throughout time seconds before his death, even appearing in front of Batman, on right (This is what the Flash's scene in BVS was a reference to). The Superman of Earth-2 mourns the death of Wonder Woman of Earth-2, as Superman of Earth-1 mourns the death of Supergirl of Earth-1. At the bottom of the pillar is the hand of the Anti-Monitor, reaching through time to before the beginning of the multiverse, trying to erase it before it is created (If you ever watched that episode of Justice League where they go to the Batman Beyond timeline and wondered why there was a big hand around the beginning of time, this is why). To the left is the Spectre, God's wrath incarnate. To the right is the Anti-Monitor, destroyer of universes. Their struggle will release energies that merge all the shattered universes into one. (Though this was later reversed when the energies were used to reverse the process and birth at least 52 universes which were identical, before a time-traveling, reality-eating worm decided to chow down on the ripe realities, causing many differences between them.)

put a TOKEN that's a copy of

>[...] put a token that's a copy of [...]
Seems cool, though it might be too easy to exploit right now.

Create a token

So far, only that promo variant of Rise from the Tides uses that wording. Not even the spoiled Conspiracy 2 cards do. When it shows up in a set, I'll accept it.

So here's what I've got for a cycle of primordial elementals.

Cala'me is death, Jul-Gada is order, Gnil is chaos, Zal is life, and Nudan is the one to keep them balanced. And when your powers combined... they make a plane I guess... shut up.

So how about the nitty gritty of the cards themselves?

>Not even the spoiled Conspiracy 2 cards do.
Oh shit, I didn't even notice that. They must have changed it right after C2 went to print. Guess we'll see what happens with Kaladesh.

The wording is changing with Kaladesh. They reveal promos 3 months in advance, so the Rise from Tides one will be available after Kaladesh hits the shelves.

If it doesn't show up by the end of Aether Revolt, I think it'll be a sign that Wizards has given up on it. Speaking of tokens and Conspiracy 2, I love Hold the Perimeter. Subtle design that encourages your opponents to kill each other instead of you. It makes me want to make a card designed to do that called "Start Shit". Maybe it can have Goad...

Also, I love how calm the guy is.
>Should I stop them? Nah, I don't get paid enough for that.

All right man, if that's how you feel, then that's how you feel. Nothing I can do to change your opinion brah.

>Cala'me
This seems fine to me.
>Jul-Gada
Also seems fine color wise.
>Nudan
Hm, I don't really like the chinese menu design, and I don't think that it's powerful enough for the cost.
>Gnil
This is just kind of bad to have to exile a spell you control, also it doesn't seem black at all. Why not make it that you sac a permanent as a cost?
>Zal
Doesn't really feel white. You could make it so that Zal has an ability that puts a +1/+1 counter on each other creature when a creature dealt damage by a creature you control dies, but then that's kind of wordy. Maybe you could make it that the cost is 1, Tap an untapped creature you control, then have that creature be the fighter? I like that idea.

Just keep in mind how quickly this can grow.
Let's say you have 4 creatures out and play this with a sac outlet.
5 stays 5 on the first sac. 5(2)
On the second, you have 2 of them, so now that sac makes 2 more. 5 becomes 6(4)
Now you sac the third non spirit, and you go from 6(4) to 10(8).
10(8) becomes 17(16)
17(16) becomes 32(32).
Even in standard, this gets out of hand insanely quickly.

Reminds me of Grim Patron from hearthstone.
Okay, now I have to make a grim patron card.

The chinese menu design on nudan was a compromise. It was originally a Will of the council but that limited me. This allows for more shenanigans while also being somewhat more flavorful.

The exiling is to prevent going insane with it. I'd say I'm being conservative and in actual play it could probably just counter it. I'm just concerned on how pwerful he'd be if it was simply countering a spell. I strongly considered sacrificing stuff as well but I figured, eh, let's try out something that hasn't been done before.

I gave the universal second ability to try to finagle in more white. In flavor he's obsessed with the natural order, strong win weak lose so at least in flavor he's white... that's good enough r-right?

The idea of tapping the fighter does seem worth considering. Though in my mind, the cost being so heavily anti-blue kind of helps his color identity.

The lack of certain feels of colors on some of them does bug me too but at the same time, when designing 4 color, to a degree, you have to look at what the color combo is not rather than what it is... so iunno.

Thanks mate.

Sounds like a nasty-looking guy that tips well.
>Sure, he's a rotting zombie, but he always tips me well!

It's much worse then that. He gets into fights and then invites his friends. The worst kind of patron.

HA HA PILE ON HA HA PILE ON HA HA PILE ON

Think it should be
>Whenever damage is dealt to ~, if it's still on the battlefield, [...]

You forgot "CHARGE FORWARD" from warsong.
Ah, thanks.

also, how would you suggest powering up Nudan? Bigger body? Someone suggested each player chooses 2.

I'd suggest that each of the options also helps Nudans controller, no matter who picks it.

Last go on this for tonight. Goddamn I spent much more time than I thought I would on this. Found better art (The Literals 3, if anyone's curious) so the image and text are easier to make out.

There. That should make it better.

Not quite thrilled about this one, but here it is.

Supertypes don't overwrite, so you don't need the "in addition to" clause.

I thought there was a card that did that. Searched the wrong terms apparently.

Thanks for the feedback last thread, anons. I've made some necessary changes, adjusted costs and wordings, pulled some things back a bit, and here we are. Second draft of the white uncommons for my set. If there are no glaring problems here, I will be moving on to blue.

And now I'm noticing that I left the old version of Ba of Two Worlds in the collage. Fantastic. Here's the updated version.

i like em, post more

Am I the only one who goes to MTG cardsmith to remind me that Veeky Forums is not too bad at this?

Feedback appreciated.

whymtgcardsmith.tumblr.com/

reading too many comics and their spinoff varients has developed an obsession with deleting all progress for no better reason but because you feel like it.
scary stuff

>exile target spell ou control
i am not sure but "exile a spell you control" should suffice.

i think the effect fits the colors.

This is an official card for Conspiracy 2. How will you utilize this new feature of Magic?

No, it's just Complexity Addiction, a problem I've had for a while now.

>This is an official card for Conspiracy 2. How will you utilize this new feature of Magic?

by attacking each turn and calling my creature with a different name, possibly the name of some bigass creature.

edh grixis control prob.
Here comes dat meme

that's sweet.

I finally have a way to use this effect.

But that doesn't turn it into that creature or anything.

That would be cool if you can pull it off.

>But that doesn't turn it into that creature or anything.

but it's still fun!

>"Go Blighsteel Colossus, hit him in the face with Double Strike!"
>"It's just a Kor Duelist with a Spy Kit."
>"No, it's a Kor Duelist with a Spy Kit that I can call BLIGHTSTEEL COLOSSUS!"

make it 3 mana at rare. its pretty overcosted.

This reminds me I have this. Maul, basically the Hulk.

Since everybody seems to be posting legends, I'll post something I've got in storage. I had posted it before when it was mardu, but I like this version a lot better. I'm sure there's something wrong with it though.

Love this design.

I like it for flavor. The idea of putting on the mask and becoming the mask is really cool.

It should probably make them black zombies, but other than that it seems fine.

Seems fine, maybe a bit cheap, but I think increasing the cost would make it bad.

I think that this one should definitely have a cost to add a card or a only once per turn clause or something, mostly because I don't like the idea of "okay I'll lightning bolt you, then I'll lightning bolt you, then I'll lightning bolt you again, then I'll lava spike you, then I'll brainstorm and pass turn." turn 5.

These are all very well designed, as are the rest of the cards I see you post. I like the due respect reprint, mostly because I like seeing people realize that they can use reprints in custom sets but also because it fits the flavor of your set. Ambush is very interesting, it reminds me of old conditional magic cards, and I'd like to see more ritual effects. Maybe I'm biased because I love ancient Egyptian lore, but I like your set a lot.