MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Serra Ascendant is better than Mental Misstep Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bird-man-likes-winning/
shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/anthologies/brushland
shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/classic-sixth-edition/brushland
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for Iona did nothing wrong

OP is wrong.

Misstep is leagues ahead of Serra Ascendant. go fuck yourself. i hope bread has a short life.

>Edric is too powerful
Why isn't he played more then?

not as good in multiplayer.

Dies to boardwipes (less abundant in french, it does have more spot removal tho)

he's too powerful in 1v1 user, hence why he's banned

You mean in multiplayer?

Man, chill. Commander is a format where 1-drops are less common than in other formats. Sol Ring, Divining top, Serra Ascendant, etc. are powerful cards but one could certainly argue that in a much less cutthroat meta one will see very few 1cmc cards. It's pretty likely that Mental Misstep, while format warping in Legacy and Modern, is nothing special in commander.

Can you give any reasoning at all for your opinion beyond "I am mad and going to be rude about it"? I am open to honest discussion.

not that user but the last thread had a list of meta-relevant cards answered by MM, the "MM is bad" party just ignored that by saying those cards are "not core" and hence not worth addressing

man i don't understand why people get so mad at this social funtime casual children's card game

>ur a big doodoo head if u think sierra ascendant is bad
>no ur a dum dum if u think it isnt heres an essay why

just put some monsters on the table and turn them sideways you fucking nerds

this same group of people in the thread were also complaining about Iona and Felidar Sovereign earlier. In short, they evaluate cards poorly.

>making 3-color
>want good mana fixing but also on a budget so don't want to drop mad dosh on duals and fetches and shit
Fugg

I can definitely think of a fair amount of cards that MM solves pretty handily, and that paying 2 life as an alternate cost makes it essentially free.

I don't think it's 'bad' but I WOULD say it is VERY meta-dependent. I have played against a fair share of more casual decks that have 0 cards that MM stops.

If you have less 1cmc cards in your meta then you wouldn't play mental misstep.

No fucking shit, bro.

But acting like misstep isn't powerful (even in commander) or isn't an answer of some of the most powerful cards in the history of Magic, is fucking idiotic. fucking disgustingly stupid.

Mind numbingly dumb. painfully shit. The person/people arguing otherwise are frustratingly stupid.

MM isn't for every meta, but it is absurd in the metas where it's good, and even in the metas where it's 'meh', it's such a strong tempo play that it would be worth it to cast regardless of what it's hitting.

my playgroup all agreed that for things like serra and soverign needed double the life shown on the cards due to having double the starting life total. Works pretty well. and now whenever the pillowfort daxos player gets felider sovriegn off nobody bitches.

Reasons to run it were made clear. It's a free counterspells that counters a lot of good cards.
It is very good card in commander, but as it was stated earlier, it's extraordinary in powerful meta, but not very much so in casual one, where low cost-high impact spells aren't that rampant, but focus more on the high-cost spells, mainly because they are easier for the not so experienced people and for the wallet.

Veeky Forums is, as a collective, bad at magi. This should be a surprise to nobody. Iona and Felidar Sovereign can definitely be feel-bad cards in the right playgroup (i.e. a group of dumdums who run little to no removal). Not necessarily overpowered though.

But the true MtG isn't ever turning creatures sideways.

Iona's a just bummer when you're playing some jank mono-color and you get shut down, but a well-built deck should be able to handle it. There are ways. Are they efficient? Usually not, but it's better than nothing

she's perfectly fair for her manacost and reanimation is hosed easily in any color

Plenty of guildgates, lifelands, checklands, whateverthefucktheyprintedinOGW lands, you will always be a turn behind but its fixing

I would make a point to distinguish stupid and bad at evaluating power level under certain circumstances. Being bad at Magic is something that can be cured if one takes the time to calmly explain and/or possibly demonstrate reasoning.

MM is incredibly powerful, but my beliefs fall more in line with

Felidar Sovereign will rarely win anything, but Iona is really gay. It just says, here you fucker you can't play anymore because your mono-color. Even in Multiplayer you have to ask the Table: "hey guys, can you please remove the card that prevents me from playing at all from the board?" Sometimes you'll just hear "lol, no she's not on my colors go eat a dick"

Yeah true

I have a couple fetches from Khans and FRF drafts so I could toss those in with the slowass BFZ duals

Also why is Blackcleave Cliffs $15?

>mfw the GW painland is more expensive than the GW fetch and shockland

i think the correct counterplay to someone running iona against your mono-color is to smash his shit every game before he ramps up to 9 as a mono-white

perhaps he will stop running iona if you do

I've played a grim grin zombies deck that was 90% black cards and one of my opponents dropped iona on black. I still fought through it and killed her with flying mono blue zombies. She is FAR from broken

Wow. I wish that was legendary.

I agree with that- Iona is perfectly fair, but any effect that locks a player out of the game can give a negative play experience. It's easy to understand why a newer or more unskilled player would think she is the be-all-end-all of creatures. I think we've all been there at some point.

>Serra Ascendant is better than Mental Misstep
Finally someone gets it.

they belong to the easiest card type to answer in the game

also, your other opponents left unchecked by Iona will likely not be happy with a 7/7 flier on the board for long

Holy shit you're right

What the fuck how

Modern dredge, also its upto like $19 now

There are PLENTY of answers to Iona I've seen that Black, Red, and green decks run fairly regularly.

Why is any card spiked: Modern

Rate my deck.
I'm trying to decide whether or not I should put mystic remora and root maze in.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bird-man-likes-winning/

>free counter for the BEST removal AND artifacts in the format
i would rather Have the best removal and artifacts in the format

and you're gonna get blown out by MM

I should add Blue to that, white less so but Unstable Obelisk shows up in a LOT of decks where I play.

>Modern has a top-tier dredge deck now
WHAT IS HAPPENING

Also bouncelands and some painlands are still cheap

go back to that cesspool of idiocy thread

you play in a terrible meta if you can't understand the value of MM

and then we're both without the best removal and artifacts in the format.

Then the other opponent puts it in the battlefield.

brushland $5-8
temple garden $10-12
windswept heath $10

???

but I'm not, because I cast mine and countered yours. You are the only one behind

Im gonna need a link to $5 brushlands bro

>countering an objectively good card in the format is better than having the card itself
>having a card that only counters 1 mana cards is better than having a card that works in more situations.

>is better than having a card that works in more situations.
it's undeniable now that you can't see how versatile MM is

shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/anthologies/brushland
shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/classic-sixth-edition/brushland

But user, i can play my best artifact with my 1 mana that i saved paying two life to cast MM. My deck has enough cards in it. Seriously. plenty of cores.

I think he implies that if you run MM, you can't have best artifacts in the format.
Because there's not enough room for them both.

>but I'm not, because I cast mine and countered yours
and then the other guy casts TWO of the best removals and artifacts in the game instead of one, because he didn't waste space with misstep.

It's not a hard concept, you put 1 card and counter 1, i put 0, other opponent puts 2, and other opponent puts 2.

Yeah, you're behind.

and if that's what he implies, it's false

If i lose it's because i failed to counter the cards of the best player at the table, since you're clearly not the best player at the table.

It's not though

Tcg and Jewcity games both having flash sales on allied painlands CONFIRMED REPRINT IN CONSPIRACY 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

>i can play my best artifact with my 1 mana that i saved paying two life to cast MM
and as i said many times before: you could instead put TWO of the best artifacts in play instead of misstep+artifact.

Just to put it to scale. One of my friends has a top tier Nin deck, where he runs Timetwister (power 9), FoW, Time Spiral and god knows what, and he still plays MM. He's a good player, too.

>White border
Pls go

You're essentially saying all counterspells are bad because when you use them, you don't have another counterspell to counter someone else's shit

you're also operating under the assumption that everyone is an equal threat at all times. You don't just play MM willy nilly, you play it to answer something that would threaten your boardstate

you asked for $5 brushlands, not the best looking ones.

Are you surprised? I figured that it's pretty clear that he's an idiot. He's probably the Anowon guy

Mental misstep is better in that sort of deck than average because high power games are resolved in the first couple turns and powerful 1 mana spells are always involved

If misstep is in your hand, you ARE losing a space that could be of one of those artifacts, or any other good card.

>If i lose it's because i failed to counter the cards of the best player at the table
or Perhaps, because you didn't put more shit on the battlefield instead of countering one card.

>Building a 5 color deck
>Getting through a lot of the staple cards
>"Hey, this isn't so bad!"
>Then I get to building the mana base

>he thinks the best cards in the game are permanents

Just gotta run the right removal.

To be honest I think that it would be silly to not expect an Iona lock when you are in mono colors, so you'll need to know what your outs are.

For example, heres a card thats worth running in a mono-colored deck. A body + an answer if you need it, all for 6cmc

>Having lots of shit on the battlefield is the only way to win
Kek, I bet you're a real riot at your LGS. Remember, they're laughing at you, not with you. You're Andrew Dobson levels of delusional

what are some shenanigans I can do with Liquimetal Coating in a Daretti deck?

Terramorphic Expanse/ Evolving Wilds are your best friends
Painlands are a must have, maybe less so for shocklands but its the best alternative to beta duals.
Alternatively, run artifacts to help you manafix

I just thought, I think that he also might think that Strip Mine is bad, because you're losing a land and therefore you have less permanents on the field.

>for fun:
recur anything with metalworker, force sac/exile shit with sscrap mastery/into the core, steal anything with hell-kite tyrant

>You're essentially saying all counterspells are bad
i'm saying they should be used to protect your shit instead of messing with people in a 4 players game.

>You don't just play MM willy nilly, you play it to answer something that would threaten your boardstate
If you were arguing that the misstep could potentially defend your shit, that's a different story. Using it to counter stuff that is not directly hurting you is ridiculous. However, an ascendant is so strong you are forced to give up that defense to mess with your opponent, which is objectively worst in this kind of game for you that it is for the guy that lost the ascendant. He lost a 1 mana creature that he can get back later on. You lost defense.

I think that Fastlands and Tangolands are pretty good too, only issue with the first one being that they can't be fetched

>>Having lots of shit on the battlefield is the only way to win
it's the best way to win. We are discussing Commander, right?

>countering a turn one reanimate targeting Jin-Gitaxia is bad

see, this is how I know you play in low-power metas

Whatever helps you sleep at nights, boyo

Signets
Chromatic Lantern
Darksteel Ingot
life gain lands from tarkir and zendikar
pain lands

if it has green on it make it green based so that you can use ramp spells to find the basics that you want, you know: Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Explosive Vegetation, Farseek, Sakura Tribe Elder, etc.

>recur anything with metalworker

how?

my apologies, I meant Goblin tinkerer

Chromatic Lantern is my pal when building 3-5 color decks.

Hell, it even allows you to use Painlands without getting pinged for damage. Sadly the rulings of City of Brass don't allow this, though.

I think he's confusing it with Welder

>karn, silver golem
>dross scorpion
>liquimetal coating
>1 mana stone rain all day

>liquimetal coating
>karn, silver golem
>mimic vat
>any noncreature
>?????
no seriously I have no idea what it does.

If you mental misstep a Senpai's Spinner you're probably preventing your opponent from having anything from 2-5 cards of card advantage or virtual card advantage from selection. Cards in hand are almost always worth more than permanents on the battlefield if you are ahead, and cards in hand will help you get back from behind.
I run MM in like one deck out of five (Wrexial), and sometimes it counters a t1 Sol Ring or Top because it's funny, but more often it counters the vital swords to plowshares or other removal. It's a fine card and a lot more versatile than you are claiming. It is still situational, and every situation doesn't need it.

Wrong creature again

fucking titties, goblin welder

I do run it, but it is still frustrating. It isn't like I have colorless tutors for the thing. I'm not running Ring of Three Wishes.

As you guys discussed in the previous thread, the rest of the table should handle it.

And when I said the rest of the table doesn't give a fuck, you said I should find a new playgroup.

So, effectively, the answer to Iona in a playgroup with bad players is to find a new playgroup.

Third time's the charm

It is a social game. You can always ask the dude to not put her in his deck. That, or have everyone rotate decks for a couple matches. Maybe after getting a taste of it himself he'll change his tune.

Eagerly awaiting more spoilers, this could be pure jewery

Post them.

Also, I'm looking for good mana-sinks for my Nath deck. Anyone got any tech?

>turn one reanimate targeting Jin-Gitaxia
>in commander
don't bet on it.

Well, to be honest, if you're playing mono color and only one with that color and Iona player chooses that, either he is being a total cunt OR you're being too much far ahead/too strong of a player. Whenever I play Iona, I rather name a color that hits most of the players, or color that are most likely to have removal.

Dark Rit, Entomb, Reanimate.

This is the world of competitive EDH. Miserable.

why wouldn't you do that if you could?

>Turn one playing a Serra Ascendant
>In commander
Don't bet on it

Don't let these other assholes get you down user.
Iona is a tough creature to deal with and can make for nofun games.
There are answers in every color but in saying that you can't be guaranteed to have answers every game.
And, as Legacy results show us, the timing of the Iona is as important as anything else. A well timed Iona will stall the game long enough for the player with Iona to either get an overwhelming board advantage or setup for a win on the spot. It's a fine creature with a very powerful effect and consequently impacts games strongly.

Why Entomb Jin Gitaxias when you could Entomb Serra Ascendant?

I laft

Just got this bad boy in the mail.

Waiting for the rest, hrnnng.

Post sekrit teck I may have missed? I have all the obvious stuff such as Shields of Velis Vel, need sekrits.

Great aurora Hazezon storm. make it work.