Board Games General /bgg/ - Show me your chits! Edition

Well, the last thread is almost dead. Time for a new one. And yeah, I know, OP is a faggot for not updating the pastebin yet...

pastebin.com/PkAVzU3T

So...

> What are you buying now / soon my fellow board gaming crack-heads?

> What games do you love simply for their artwork or components - even if their game play isn't 'the bestest evar!'. (Bonus points for pics.)

> What has your group been playing way to much of lately?

Other urls found in this thread:

coolstuffinc.com/user_wishlist.php?id=f6ead36c908a21338970e9ea968e4336
boardgame.business/
play.boardgamecore.net/main.jsp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>buying
Google express trial + Barnes and Noble coupon = free $15 game. Just gotta figure out if I wanna go for a free X-wing mini or get some $20 game for cheap.

>art
Pic related, not overly deep, and it's not going to be played as much year 5 as year 1 of owning it, but so relaxing and the art is gorgeous

>too much
No such thing, but Survive hit the table twice over the weekend with the same players; not something I see happen often.

Always the chance the bankers don't offer enough, but considering how fast Asmodee got FFG right after getting DoW, I can't see it happening. Based on their leaders' history they're going to grab up everyone they can, control the market and raise prices, then dump off to a bigger fish (Hasbro seems likely). If we're very lucky, the smaller/mid tier publishers grow well during that time frame so there's good hobby publishers that aren't interested in just putting out yearly reskins like TtR 2022, Pandemic Legacy Season 19, and Arkham Horror 4: Modern C'thulu.

CMoN is growing faster than FFG so they'll step in as your big Ameritrash publisher, Iello has almost taken DoW's spot as the go to family game company in the last couple years. Renegade and Stronghold step in for the euro studios under Asmodee and we're set.

A few expansions for FFG games. Nothing too fancy. Gencon was very underwhelming for me. Nothing caught my eye.

> What games do you love simply for their artwork or components - even if their game play isn't 'the bestest evar!'. (Bonus points for pics.)

The art is the ONLY REASON why I keep Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards. I just fucking love it.

Thankfully, I'm the one who owns the games so I bring whatever "I" want to play. People always wanted to play 7 wonders a few years ago. Never again.

>> What are you buying now / soon my fellow board gaming crack-heads?
Nothing planned at the moment, already bought my bunch for this month. Might be getting powergrid soon, and then maybe Escape (either lost temple or aliens)

>> What games do you love simply for their artwork or components - even if their game play isn't 'the bestest evar!'. (Bonus points for pics.)
I bought the Art Connoisseur's edition of Scythe and it is an amazing luxury product all around: stellar artwork, great metal coins, beautiful resource tokens, amazing mechs and hero models. And it's a great game too.

>> What has your group been playing way to much of lately?
We haven't played any one thing a whole ton lately. I wouldn't mind playing too much Millennium Blades or Scythe, but we're probably going to be drifting towards playing more Warmachine for a while.

>What are you buying now / soon my fellow board gaming crack-heads?
Nothing now/soon really, as most of the stuff I'm hyped for atm won't be shipping until later this year or sometime next year. That said, when they do print&ship:

Imperial Struggle (HYPE IS REAL)
Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62
Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain
Welcome to Centerville
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Bayonets & Tomahawks
Triumph&Tragedy upgrade kit

>What games do you love simply for their artwork or components - even if their game play isn't 'the bestest evar!'. (Bonus points for pics.)
No game our group has at least. Like many others I quite like the artwork in Scythe, and a boardgame with artwork by Simon Stålenhag would be cool I guess. As for components, the last game I played that impressed me wrt components was actually Falling Sky. Simple stuff but really well done.

>What has your group been playing way too much of lately?
Last time we got together we played a game of Keyflower, which is probably like the third time this year. That's three times too many.

I have a group of about 10 people i play every week. I usually play party board games, like cards againts humanity, love letter, secret hitler, etc...

I usually just print the games on 280gm paper, but the ammount of games, that i can make myself is getting low.

tl;dr
What are some games that ar fun at parties and are not hard to make yourself? I don't care if i make a non-exact copy.

Got 3 P500's coming from GMT: Labyrinth: The Awakening (expansion to Labyrinth: TWoT), the 3" box to store it all in, and Grand Prix. Should be here next month.

>What games do you love simply for their artwork or components - even if their game play isn't 'the bestest evar!'. (Bonus points for pics.)
Ice Cool. Picked it up at Gen Con. The penguins feel heavy and sturdy, while the art on the "boards" is top notch. (In fact, picked up Game of Trains, also from Brain Games. Plays like Rack-o used to. Both games feel solid, so I'm hoping Brain Games picks up steam.)

>What has your group been playing way to much of lately?
Scythe seems to be the current favorite, although I haven't played it (never really get in on the "cult of the new" games.)

Train of Thought is pretty fun if people can think quickly.

Meant to post pic.

Codenames
Spyfall (there's actually phone apps that do it very well too)
Coup (Can either simulate with a deck of cards or sharpie on them)
Mafia de Cuba/One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Pit (can simulate with three identical) decks of cards)
Liars Dice

It sounded meh at first, then i watched tom vasel's review and lost all interest. I believe there is a bit too much thinking for my group, but my group might be just too add.

Damm, going to continue checking the games, but spyfall sounds cool, because i have not heard it.

>spyfall sounds cool, because i have not heard it.
It was on pace to be THE party game last year and then Codenames came out and everyone forgot it existed.

An expansion for TIME stories. Such a great game.

>> What games do you love simply for their artwork or components - even if their game play isn't 'the bestest evar!'. (Bonus points for pics.)

Hands down, Indigo. One of Knizia's most underrated games and looks gorgeous when it's done. I've taught it to gamers and nongamers and it's always been a hit.

Boring dungeon crawlers. I'm not a fan but my group loves Mice and Mystics.

Here's a pic of Indigo at the end of the game.

The one which really, REALLY pisses me off about Asmodee is that their acquisition of FFG resulted in their losing the WH40k license and pulling the plug on the Forbidden Stars expansion containing 'Nids, 'Crons, Tau, and Dark Eldar.

>The one thing which

I'm between Galaxy Trucker, Dead of Winter, and Ghost Stories. Galaxy Trucker is the most polarizing review wise, but the theme I like the most. Ghost Stories sounds great and I love coop, but I hear it's practically impossible to win and that's a huge turnoff pushing difficulty that far. Dead of Winter I'm sick of zombies but I hear from everyone the game is great and I'm not THAT against it. It would at least be an easy sell to my friends.
Jamaica is a very pretty game visually and I can definitely get that bonus when it comes to treasure.
>What has your group been playing way to much of lately?
Magic the Gathering. It's hard to convince my friends to do anything but Magic. It's the end all be all of games to them and I have never enjoyed it that much. I'll play it, I won't be a grump about it, but holy shit every saturday doesn't have to be devoted to it.

coolstuffinc.com/user_wishlist.php?id=f6ead36c908a21338970e9ea968e4336

Scythe and Kemet, but they both have great gameplay...

Ascendants of Aetheros.
Wouldn't recommend it.

If they don't get it back and the fans end up truly rabid for support it'll just get reprinted like Rex did for Dune. FFG doesn't concede well when losing an IP, they just theme it as "NOT your IP" and you end up with a game that's almost as good but never quite meshes with the mechanics but at least you're able to play the game in a nice production edition, and you can kinda pretend if you squint really hard......... fuck you Herbert estate

Honestly, the setting is like half the reason I would buy the game.
I don't want to send Qwijibos to the Arcanum to harvest trapezium, I want my Orks to invade Armageddon and take battle trophies.

>> What are you buying now / soon my fellow board gaming crack-heads

Just waiting for Cry Havoc. Really excited for it. I'm a slave to the cult of the new

I own the scythe collectors edition even though I haven't played it. (Thought I could flip it; mistakingly took the shrink wrap off to look at the components not knowing that it would depreciate is value so much. Real bummer.

Roll for the galaxy+ambition. By far my favorite game.

Am I the only one who owns a meh game with cool art ?

Come on !

>Just waiting for Cry Havoc. Really excited for it. I'm a slave to the cult of the new
It looks like what people were expecting Blood Rage to be which was a more balanced, less random Chaos in the Old World, so I'd hesitate to call it cult of the new.

...and Forbidden Stars used to be Starcraft, so they've done it before. They'll find another IP to slap the theme onto the game.

Yeah Rex is less appealing than Dune, and they've already got TI3 as a space conquest game, so if it gets redone it'll have to be in some other universe.

>and Forbidden Stars used to be Starcraft, so they've done it before.
I've heard that this parallel is overblown and only the secret stacked orders are really the same (though given that's the core of the game, I see the yeah-sayers' point too).

Has anyone tried Abecorn for trades? It popped up in BGG's trade forums and it looks pretty good.

I own Boss Monster and Arctic Scavengers.

I love CO2's art, the box and board drew me immediately to it before I even knew what the game was about, it's just gorgeous imho.
Sorta minimalistic, watercolored, chill vibe.
The components are great and the game's a solid semi-coop worker placement to boot!

Still, Spyfall is a much better choice if you're planning on drinking

Aside from Three Moves Ahead, are there any Veeky Forums-related podcasts that mostly talk about the industry of RPGs, boardgames, and wargames as well as how to make them?

The Forbidden Limb (Now the Board Game Business Podcast) does that sort of stuff.
boardgame.business/

Hi /bgg/, I'm going over to a friends house soon to play a game called "power grid", I understand the basics (I watched a how to play video), can you guys give me some tips so I won't embarass myself? It's the deluxe version if that matters.

If there are five people, vote someone to be kicked out / shot / maimed / deported so you can finish the damn thing before the heat death of the universe.

Bought arkham horror for cheap, what are the best not big boxed expansions for it? King in yellow looks interesting

Yup, and while I was really sick of 2015 being too many social deduction games after we moved on from micros, it's kinda disappointing of how fast Spyfall faded out. Granted it's still in the top 250 on BGG, but it didn't really get much recognition; I gotta wonder if Cryptozoic just really doesn't care about pushing anything that isn't a mediocre IP cash grab.

You really can't go wrong with any of them, but I'd say the Black Goat of the Woods is the weakest one since it's unique corruption mechanic only crops up if you hang out in the specific area of town where the cult hangs out.

Since you just have the base game, most of the ancient ones aren't too bad (there's some major power creep for the ones added in expansions), so the King in Yellow and Lurker at the Threshold would add some needed challenge with their components. I always use Lurker's relationship cards since they help out the players. For the Curse of the Dark Pharaoh, make sure you get the revised edition. That has a roaming exhibition marker that gives you some pretty powerful equipment ... if things go right.

tl;dr King = Lurker > Curse > Black

When you're ready to get big boxes, Dunwich Horror is the one to go to first. The injury and madness cards are a fantastic new mechanic.

Don't overbid for plants and press others to overspend.
Don't get cornered.
Look for the cheapest places to expand.
Watch the fuel market and try to keep the resources for yourself.
Being last or nect to last is a good thing for getting cheap fuel.
Count everything, know how much you can spend on plants and fuel and still be able to expand.
Get plant 29. 1 fuel/coal powers 3 cities.
Try to get one of the cheaper clean plants, but don't overbid.

is Kemet that good? I heard its a good Risk alternative, which is something ive been looking for.
problem is though, I'm not really a big fan of the whole Egyptian theme of it but if the gameplay is really that good, i can overlook it.

The thing is I don't know how much is an "overbid"

If you want a risk like game with 2 people only, get twilight struggle, No dice rolling, and it's influence instead of armies, but controlling choke points and world domination are still huge mechanics.

If you enjoy playing with a lot of people, get smallworld. I prefer the underground version. Huge variety, and doesn't take forever like risk does.

I would be super wary about bidding 10 over the starting price, unless this keeps you in a resource by yourself or you need the plant to keep up with your growth.

Alright, thanks. What are some good starting locations for the American side of the board?

Midwest (red) is nice. East coast tends to get crowded, West coast connections are stupid expensive.

>small world
I wouldn't ever consider this as a risk replacement amongst any but the most casual or new players. Very lightweight for an area control.

The problem with risk in general is that it takes forever. There's no real good solution to this if you allow the game to be more than 2 players. Twilight Struggle works because it's got a lot of depth, but at the same time you're not waiting a long, long time to actually do something.

Any area control game that is deep really suffers from the ability to scale, in much the same way risk does.

Asking for a risk replacement is rather difficult, because the same things people like about it are what makes it so shit to play most of the time. Hence why I split up my recommendations based on which aspect he prefers more.

you and me both friend.

>No dice rolling
Why do you lie so blatantly, user.

>There are actually people who play pandemic without OTB

How? After like 3 games you know exactly how to play most efficiently. You need the Bio-Terrorist or it's too predictable

Skull

What are some good board games to get for an apartment with 3 mid 20s guys who often have friends over? Preferably something not too long that we can add an element of drinking to

Catan.

While it's not the best board game, it's probably the best intro board game for people who are just used to playing monopoly, and you wanna show them that there are board games that aren't... Awful.

im gonna second this. im not even a big fan of catan but its something me and my roomies will take out if we have that board game itch but just want something quick to play.

that or 7 wonders.

Letters from White Chapel is pretty fun and takes about an hour, but if you're drinking it's easy to get distracted within the discussion and you might just end up talking in circles trying to figure out where Jack went.

This. I've been fucked so hard by dice on coup attempts it's not even funny.

Eh. Really the only big deal is if USSR fails the Iran coup AR1. Everything else is balanced out.

It's not like USSR needs the help anyway. God help any US player not playing with +2 initial and isn't the one to draw War Games..

anyone play Shadows of Brimstone?
kinda new to board gaming in general and was looking at different dungeon crawling type games.
this game kinda caught my eye, mainly because of the miniatures but i heard that can be a trap where a game could have nice looking miniatures but the gameplay itself is bland.

It's more of a card game with a board from what I remember when I was reading reviews and thinking of buying it.
Most dungeon crawlers range from poor to mediocre sadly enough. It's a hard genre to do well apparently.

I ended up getting Kingdom Death instead.

I've played a few games. IMO it's fun, but it may not be what you're looking for. It's as Ameritrashy as they come, meaning there's lots of dice rolling and random chance although the rules do provide alternatives for some of them. The mini's are ok, neither the best or worst I've seen, but be aware they come unassembled and unpainted. I quite enjoy the theme and general gameplay (cowboys exploring spooky mines/ alien worlds) but that's entirely subjective.

Other dungeon crawlers you might want to research before you make up your mind include:
Imperial Assault / Descent 2.0
Gears of War (OOP so hard to find)
Super Dungeon Explore (very video-gamey)
and any others people here might mention.

>It's as Ameritrashy as they come, meaning there's lots of dice rolling and random chance

since im still fairly new to this all, as well as my friends and most of the games we've played were board games that involve nothing but dice rolling, i dont think such a gameplay mechanic will affect us...for now.
i definitely do see its flaws though.

since im not much of a star wars fan, ill check out descent.
thanks for the suggestions.

Looking at buying a game to play sort of casually with a friend. How is Ascension? Are any stand alones or starter packs recommended for it in particular?

Ascension is okay. I recommend Realms Untravelled or whatever. Some of them are not great.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to keep in mind. I really enjoy Eldritch Horror for example, even though I know the game's outcome is more or less decided by a coin flip. SoB is fun in the same way, if you can get into the theme of the game it's fun, but if you're playing just for mechanics look elsewhere.

Kemet is really good. It is both shorter and meatier than Risk.

Anyone ever played Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga?

It's on sale at my local, looks neat but wondering if it's worth the dosh?

I've played it. It's shit. Pure Ameritrash gameplay with a huge reliance on die rolls and loads of take-that fuck you cardplay. And it takes 2 hours to play.

There are so, so many better games.

Thanks man, I'ma just grab Kemet/Scythe instead.

Bump

Either is great. IMO Kemet has more staying power, but Scythe isn't owned by cocksuckers.

Whats the best eurogame that isnt assburger tier

Bought these during my comiket trip to japan last week.

Quadropolis. Those see-through blue meeples and red energy cylinders are amazing.

I don't have a group. Just me and my gf.

Why haven't you preordered yet you imbeciles?

But ofc I have! Also thinking I might P500 pic related

Because I try to buy games that will actually hit my table.

While I am vaguely interested, none of my friends would be interested in that ever.

I threw in a roadtrip game to beef out my preorder.

>euro
>best
>low autism
Mate, you're asking us to find fucking sasquatch for you.

I hate euros in general, but I've got a soft spot for Infamy.

How similar is BSG Express to Dark Moon? Did they change anything outside of retheming it?

Components and art are way better, I'm pretty sure a bunch of the cards and location abilities were changed a bit.

Why is shut up and sit down so terrible? Their videos are funny, but their tastes are awful.

>games
>journalism

Just read their CAH "review"
It was like 5 pages of crying about hurt feelings.

I don't like CAH, but I don't like it because after like 3 plays you might as well burn the box cause youve seen all the cards. Crying about it being offensive is stupid as fuck though

Is Food Chain Magnate any good? Some people tell me its the worst game they've ever played, some tell me its their favorite game by a mile.

I like the components for Dark Moon - check out the fan made extras on BGG too. Someone did an audio 'setting intro' file that's great. The only thing I dislike about the Dark Moon components is the Dice Shields. They tilt back to hide your dice rolls, but that makes it a pain to read the 'game actions' list printed on the inside. It's easier to print out a list of options for each player and then just use the shields simply as dice shields. My group has had some fun times with this game.

Holy shit I'm reading it now, and they seem SJW as fuck.

Also lol

>"The explosion of Cards Against Humanity has, I think, been downright hurtful to board gaming’s progress."

Yes, the biggest board game hit in god knows how long, that has reinvigorated interest in a hobby that was extremely niche has hurt it. Obviously.

Sounds like it's love it or hate it, and the only way to tell if its for you is to try it yourself. It's on Tabletop Sim if you have it.

Also, I need recommendation image for Euro games

It's a fantastic game with the "flaw" that if you have no idea what you're doing you can fuck yourself over with no chance of recovery (or, alternatively, everyone can fuck themselves by thinking the only way to sell more is to price lower, causing the game to drag on forever). If someone who's played a few times is there to explain what options other people have and what options to avoid, it goes pretty smoothly and surprisingly quickly (not the 4 hours advertised on the box, at least).

Can be played online here:
play.boardgamecore.net/main.jsp

blood rage is getting its dick sucked hard

how fucked am I for not kick starting it?

They are on the right side of things with a few games, but their immediate recommends on any shitty kickstarted social deduction game, while heavier stuff is written off annoys me. Was especially disappointed to see they just did a video on Ra, and recommended it without mentioning the Asmodee reprint is absolute shit and overpriced.

>Yes, the biggest board game hit in god knows how long, that has reinvigorated interest in a hobby that was extremely niche has hurt it.

It has only brought filthy casuals into the hobby.

Overhyped cult-of-the-new, will surely slide down the charts, some flaws are already showing. Cool minis. Collector's edition and kickstarter extras will be worth good money in the future.

yeah, i regret kickstarting it.
definitely gonna kickstart rising sun no matter what. even if the game turns out kinda mediocre because i know I would be able to resell it anyways and make a profit no matter what.

$60 MSRP? Ah, sorry, we can't see the price tag over this fat check we got from Asmodee.

Everyone was a casual at once user, even you.

More warm bodies to play games with is good, even if only 10% of the people who got introduced with CAH become "real board gamers", that's still a shit ton of extra income for the industry, and more board games for us.

That's my problem with them. If you're not already having an amazing time by the second you open the box, and it makes a good drinking game, then it's worthless to them.

>Everyone was a casual at once user, even you.

No, this meme needs to end. Just because everyone started out not knowing how to play complex games doesn't mean they are casual -- it just means they have never been taught complex games. The type of people who enjoy CaH are casual game players in the same way that the type of people who play Farmville are casual video game players. They do not work their way up the difficulty curve and, unlike video games which can be played solo or online, force their way into meetups where people will cater to them for the sake of politeness.

I disagree. I know lots of people who thought board games were basically all monopoly and candy land until they played a game of CAH.

And for the reverse, I enjoyed CAH the first 3 times, and I constantly play heavier games, my favourite being really, really heavy euro games.

People in reality aren't as simple as "casual or serious", people have differing tastes on different mechanics. Anything that introduces them to the medium in general is a good thing.

When I have a friend who's never played a board game before, I don't pull out TI3 because that's just a bad idea.
I bring out Love Letter, and then maybe Cosmic Encounter or Catan, and then start getting serious.

Depends entirely on the person. If I know a guy thoroughly enjoys playing long grand strategy PC games, I'll absolutely consider introducing him to TI3 even if he hasn't played other board games.